Search found 48 matches

Return

Gameblog interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1100_yu-suzuki-je-ne-suis-pas-encore-satisfait-du-design-actuel-m

Translation from French.

https://i.imgur.com/zyrGefI.jpg

Gameblog: Suzuki-sensei, how are you? How do you feel here at Gamescom after you showed us this first trailer ?

Yu Suzuki: To be honest, it's more a teaser rather than a real trailer! About the Gamescom, I believe hundreds of thousands of people come here, that's truly gigantic. I only visited the business area at the moment, I don't know how things look at the other side, in the public areas. But we will go into it soon, I'm sure that will be great. I have already met a lot of fans and enthusiastic journalists. All these people give me a huge boost.

GB: So far, is the development going well? Are you pleased with your working pace and progress?

YS: We made a lot of research before we signed our partnership with Deep Silver. Since that moment, I feel we now have the full team and I'm relieved. Finally, we can focus entirely on the remaining part, I mean the production.

GB: Does Deep Silver provide you funds for the remaining production? Can you tell us something more about it?

YS: I cannot comment officially or give you precise figures. But yes, there is something...

GB: How close we are actually to the trial version?

YS: I'm currently thinking about the best way to design the demo, in order to show the game to the players. But I'm still unable to tell you when it will be available... It will be sometime!

https://i.imgur.com/9sssThK.jpg

GB: What are the main mechanics that you will take back from Shenmue 1&2 and the new ones you're currently creating for Shenmue III?

YS: I could not be really specific about Shenmue 1&2 mechanics but I can tell you that our first priority is to remain faithful to the spirit of the first episodes, the "Shenmue universe".

However, regarding Shenmue 1&2, the constituent elements such as mini-games, jobs and miscellaneous activities were not really linked together. They were simply there, and their connections were not strong enough. In Shenmue III, I want to tie the different elements really tighter, make these connections clearer. This way, the world of Shenmue will be improved. Each gameplay sequence will be included more naturally into the story, the screenplay, then the player feels more involved and focused. I believe this will be one of the strongest and most attractive features of Shenmue III.

https://i.imgur.com/kEdploI.jpg

GB: Can you tell us more about the new QTEs we've seen in the extended teaser?

YS: I hope you'll appreciate this new QTE system! Let me give you few examples...

(Yu Suzuki starts his PC which is connected to the television then opens a Powerpoint file with pictures and texts about every elements of the game. He goes directly into the slides about the QTEs)

The most important aspect of the new QTEs is the fun provided to the players. We would like to challenge the QTE concept with a new function called "Variable Speed Play" in order to offer a funny and entertaining experience to the players. It's a style of QTE that has never been seen before.

So far you're only seeing the Circle or Triangle buttons from the PS4 controller but more symbols are yet to come. QTEs might be based on colors seen on the controller buttons, or even on Chinese characters associated with some specific actions. Moreover, we may imagine a system based on specific sounds associated with each controller button. A color coupled with a sound. This way, we could perform QTEs only by referring to a game sound... Well, it's still experimental but I would like to offer that kind of experience to the players.

https://i.imgur.com/mSnKDBJ.jpg

GB: What about the battle system?

YS: In Shenmue 1&2, I choose the Virtua Fighter system. It was more about strategy than button mashing. In Shenmue III, I would like a more friendly system and something completely new. One of the most important improvements would be the ability to attack several enemies once, during the same combo. Unlike the previous episodes - and many other games - where you had to fight only one ennemy once, if three enemies surround you, you need to fight all of them at the same time, by doing combos on each other (Suzuki mimes a triple combo with his fists: "bam - bam - bam!").

Of course, if you want to focus on one enemy only, you can do so, but you will have the choice.

GB: Like Shenmue I, can we train our moves to improve Ryo's abilities, skills and techniques?

YS: Yes indeed, I would like to make this happen and I'm still thinking about it. Solo training is definitely part of Kung Fu. The skill tree system is still confirmed as well. (Suzuki opens a new Powerpoint slide named "Skill Tree").

Each blank rectangle you're seeing here represents a skill book. These books can be obtained by several manners. You can buy some books in stores while you can earn the other ones by prizes. They can also have different forms: books, scrolls or sheets...

https://i.imgur.com/PLxQ3x2.jpg

GB: Everyone was suprised by the lack of facial motion in the teaser. Can you give us an explanation? By the way, is the charadesign final?

YS: First of all, no the charadesign isn't final. Actually, no character in the teaser is finished. I'm still not pleased with the current design, even if it's way better than the characters we showed at E3 2015. About the facial motion, it was there two months ago, but the developers changed something in the face bone structure then everything started to bug. (The translator is miming with his hand the jaw entering the head). The facial motion no longer worked so we decided to remove it from the teaser.

GB: The logo has changed again too...

YS: Yes, it has been changed because I wanted to remake it myself. By the way, the ideogram you can see on the poster has been made by my father (Suzuki points at the kanji on the poster - see the red circle on the picture below).

https://i.imgur.com/CpkMb09.jpg

GB: The interview already comes to the end... Shortly, have you got any positive news about Shenmue HD?

YS: As you know, Sega still owns the licence, so I really cannot say anything about it.... but I want to tell something to Sega: please, do it! I really would like to see this happen.
by Yokosuka
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Also, look at things from a personal perspective--an empathetic one.

Yu Suzuki was really trying to make this game something special, but realized he couldn't do it without outside help from someone like Deep Silver.

He cares so much about this series that he tried his hardest to make someone believe what he was doing was worthy of additional investment. To find someone out there.

Imagine the weight on your shoulders, having the expectations of the fans on you to deliver, but to know you cannot do it with the current funds, no matter how hard you try or want to. Rather than sit and say "Well, it's better than nothing(MN9), he went further.

How trying it must've been for him to ask for more help in this project. It takes a MASSIVE amount of strength to ask for help, especially on passion projects. I'm grateful that Deep Silver honored his request.
by Valascaziel
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Cedric Biscay, in 2015 - "The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

Take from that what you will. It's unlikely we'll ever hear an elaboration.

Source: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49338
by Spaghetti
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3! PRE-ORDER FOR PS4/PC!

March 30, 2018 (+51 days)

$6,868,709 (+$14,790) ($290/day)

75,696 Backers (+180) (+$82/backer)

Just FYI, here are the average daily incomes in the last year...
April '17 : 362$
May : 454$
June : 376$
July : 339$
August : 429$
September : 642$
Oct/Nov : 320$
December : 312$
January '18 : 229$
Fev/March : 290$
Daily average over the year : 363$
by Belgiumfan
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Great find Supa, that's definitely a new model for Shenhua. She looks way better than she ever did since the announcement!

https://i.imgur.com/cPAxFjc.png

EDIT: For comparison

https://i.imgur.com/kX9mSxo.jpg

I'm really happy with what I'm seeing here... Knowing that it also has 1+ year in the oven fills me with confidence.
by Rikitatsu
Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

WildManofBorneo wrote:Image

I still get nightmares about Ryo's early model :poke:

And I'm in love with the new Shenhua, really...
by Niowiad
Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couldn't agree more with you man! We do deserve to see some gameplay. If it's not at E3 then surely it has to be at gamescom? Also, the more I look at the new images, the more I love them. I think Ryo and Shenhua just look so good and detailed. Look how detailed the tiger symbol looks on Ryo's jacket, man.. props to the team and I feel the delay will only do the game good. But please enough of this silence and then showing older images.

I think we might all go crazy when we see what the actual game looks like.

Yes mate, I'm a bit anxious to see some gameplay!

Graphics reminds me of old times when Suzuki was at sega, so much attention to detail, handcrafted, it's our Shenmue in 2018 graphics! This is the only game I wait for in the same way when I was a kid, so magical. Cheers!
by Hazuki00
Fri May 18, 2018 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are there two threads about this?

Also, it's spelled Lakshya.
by Centrale
Sat May 19, 2018 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The current Shenhua is the closest to her original design, by FAR. I cannot fathom how someone would consider the Gamescom version to be better or closer to her original design, she literally has no Asian features.
by Rikitatsu
Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

I always respond to this question with this:

http://zoonbats.com/s3/shenmue_stylized.jpg (c/o Centrale et al)

So, personally, my answer is no. Shenmue has always been highly stylized imo, and I believe it's just the difference in fidelity and graphical tech between a 20 yo game and an UE4 game that is causing the perceived dissonance between the old games and 3. Just my personal opinion, though.
by Anonymous81
Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is a topic that's been discussed before. The fact is, Shenmue has always had stylized (or, if you will, "cartoony") art direction. Anyone who thinks Shenmue was photorealistic is mistaken. To me Shenmue III looks like a perfect continuation of the established style, updated with contemporary tech.
by Centrale
Sun May 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This might be tangential, but one thought I had is that the scenes we're seeing might not be locked to any particular time of day in actual gameplay. One person might arrive at the scene with the little girl in the morning, another might trigger it in the afternoon. This would account for some of the differences we've seen between otherwise very similar shots and clips.
Yeah, that's also true. The lighting set up we saw was quite an extreme "early morning" look and not really reflective of how the game will look in more neutral conditions.
by Spaghetti
Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, upon reflection we knew this was coming. I thought a bit more about the revelations last year with Deep Silver 'S involvement.

Considering Yu said he could now expand the game beyond his original vision(i.e larger areas, more NPCs, stretch goals like a full fighting system), also stating a while back that at $10 million, it would have the features of an open world.

There is no way all of that could be fully realized and incorporated within a years time and certainly not by a reasonably small development team.

We are always quick to nitpick the early alpha footage, but I don't think the game will look anywhere close to that when it is properly shown later in the year. A lot can change in that time frame. I don't see the game releasing until Summer 2019 at the earliest, honestly, thinking on how much the scope has changed.
by Valascaziel
Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also often in game development that staff is not working at the same time,they alternate. Some are just freelancers hired temp.
by Haruto
Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why can't they just make him look like this? Image
by ShenmueHDYEAH
Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've been with contact with Robert Pontow from Deep Silver, who is working on Shenmue 3.
I told him about Eric Kelso, Paul Lucas, and Lisle Wilkerson, and how they want to return to Shenmue 3. This is his reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me. Would you have any email addresses of the voice actors, their agents or any other means of contacting them? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to discuss anything over FB, so we would need to take an official way to get in contact with the voice actors. But I am sure that Yu Suzuki would be happy if we can secure the same crew for Shenmue 3. Best regards

This means there is hope yet. I will try to find a way to get in touch with those three, I'll tweet Shenmue AM2 podcast who had been in touch with them recently. If you guys know anything that might help, let me know too

This also confirms my suspicion that they didn't know that the VA's wanted to return
by Rikitatsu
Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Belgiumfan wrote: March 30, 2018 (+51 days)

$6,868,709 (+$14,790) ($290/day)

75,696 Backers (+180) (+$82/backer)

May 17th 2018 (+48 days)

$$6,891,136 (+$22,427) ($467 per day)

75,957 backers (+261) (+$85 per backer)

Hopefully didn't screw the numbers, did them myself.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looks like there has been quite a significant bump in the per day average since the announcement of Shenmue I & II!
by Centrale
Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some of them don't even get credited! (See: Tose)
Depends on their contract. Also, I recall some of the members of the team being in the office having their faces blurred out on the group photo, so it may be a second job to some of them (work at SEGA during the day, help out for a couple of hours at the end of the day with Shenmue 3). I've heard stories like that before. Those people normally just get "Special Thanks" credits.
by Henry Spencer
Sat May 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The more I see the most recent clip of Ryo and Shenhua, the more I like it.
by ShenmueTree
Tue May 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree that a Shenmue III showing doesn't exactly need Yu, but he's effectively the face of the project and the person most of the press would be interested in talking to (for both Shenmue III reasons and for his legacy). If there's going to be a showing of any substance at all, press interviews would be on the cards too, and that will likely be centred around Yu.

He might be accompanied by Harry Morishita, one of the producers, but I don't really expect Yu to bring like... programmers with him. Even when he does trips to Monaco, Cologne, wherever - the development is still ongoing at the studio and those programmers are probably going to be needed. Yu can at least delegate some work to Keiji Okayasu, although I have a sneaking suspicion Yu still gets work done even on the business trips.

Are you a PMP? You use a lot of project management parlance.
I'm a P-I-M-P 8)

Sorry, no. Since Shenmue III went into development I've gotten really interested in how game development works in general, and a lot of project management terms came with that. Some of that was spurred by Yu himself talking about using Agile, which added a lot of context to what we've been seeing in the iterative approach.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But, what if the flashback are told from another perspective than in SH1&2 ?

I read that Yu said in some interviews he would like to explore differences in perceptions.
So, alternate perspective flashbacks would not only recall event,
but also paint them in a new light for players that went through SH1&2.
by swimingdeer
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hum, all of this make me curious :
How much time worth of dialog will there be stored in the game ?
How much was it for SH1 and SH2 ?

I did a little digging around and found out that for the first game the script had about 42,000 lines of dialogue and a count of 330,000 English words, according to this community gaming database . If you take the average reading speed of 180 words per minute, the entire Shenmue 1 would have roughly over 30.5 hours of recorded dialogue audio. More surprisingly, the script was bigger than RPGs like the first Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia!

Hopefully Shenmue 3's budget will hold and we can have once again a fully voiced game.
by sand4fish
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sony were also weirdly quite selective on which 3rd party games/publishers got into the press conference too. Maybe Microsoft sucked 'em all up?

Either way, start setting your watches for Gamescom. Only two and a half months to go.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KidMarine wrote: It's not much, but there's another little image of Shenmue III on the screenImage

They're walking out of the cave! :shock:
by Centrale
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That sky! Shenmue III absolutely nailed it.
by Jibby
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd say late Q3 2019. Wouldn't surprise me to be Q4, though. If Q2, then I'll be very pleasantly surprised.
by xatruio
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When other characters in Shenmue III look like this:

https://abload.de/img/4mlliieg0kt5.png

https://abload.de/img/l4qfq2uo6kzz.png

https://abload.de/img/ylwpa5h7tjt6.png

- singling out Mr Muscles as the definitive representation of Shenmue III's in-progress graphical design is a bit silly. These characters don't look like they're from Street Fighter 5, and I'd argue neither does Mr Muscles, really. He may be a big ugly bastard, but that's by design.

http://sm.ign.com/ign_mear/screenshot/default/screen-shot-2017-05-29-at-80305-am_aj23.png

Ren's gang in Shenmue II, by comparison:

https://i.neoseeker.com/ca/shenmue2_conceptart_VfMWk.jpg

Even if AM2 were pushing for the most realistic graphics the world had ever seen with the originals, the manga-inspired design still runs through the characters pretty heavily, and I'd say that's more recognisable now that realism in graphics has moved on so considerably.
by Spaghetti
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Im more concerned about the animation thats going to be applied to these graphics. From what they've shown, they've proven they don't understand animation basics.

Oh, really? What do you think is more likely... that the professionals working on Shenmue III somehow have landed this job without understanding animation basics? Or that a consumer who has been shown work-in-progress footage doesn't understand what they're seeing in regards to the overall game development schedule?
by Centrale
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu doesn't even play other games, for the precise reason that he doesn't want to be influenced by them and start following trends. While that may mean he has to reinvent the wheel on occasion, it at least ensures that everything we see is a "Suzuki solution" to whatever design challenge the game poses.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wish I could of upgraded from my $300 package to the $500 one. so I bought a few extra digital copies. I wonder how much finding will shoot up.
by Aimless Gamer
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Personally, I'm expecting TGS. Gamescomm would be nice, but TGS seems more realistic. December for PSX is a bit too far off, but even if it doesn't make that show, I'll be pretty bummed, but never turn into one of the vitriol trolls calling it vaporware.

The original Dreamcast games were projects from at least 1996 onward (at least a rough guesstimate for the Dreamcast work, not Saturn version), which weren't revealed until late '98. Even after, Suzuki didn't show much of it, really. At least not compared to today. He's old school, let him play it close to the chest. We all know he will make a great game one way or another.
by xatruio
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M goal reached + Capsule B

Getting a real Sleeping Dogs vibe from that screenshot. Awesome :D!
by ShenGCH
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What level did you pledge at?

A cool 1,500.00 from me.
by Dragon Light
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I upgraded my pledge from $175 to $250 and another $60.
by The_Intruder
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I recently raised my tier to 250$.
by shenhaZ
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I pledged $190 to be in the $175 tier. It was an honor to help make Shenmue 3 a reality and am so happy to hear again just how generous the Shenmue fanbase is.
by SegaMon
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just gonna drop this here

https://m.imgur.com/GSHe5vT
I noticed that too, thanks for making a gif. (Source: The kickstarter documentary video pinned to the forum right now)

I'm assuming that was the footage they shot in 2016. It's really great to see it was looking like a playable game way back then, whereas we didn't get to see the first official gameplay screenshot until today almost 2 years later. I can't wait to see any other early footage they can show, it will be even more fascinating once we have the finished product to compare it to.
by Sappharad
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

A serious well done to the fans, I wasn't expecting this as well as this quickly!
Now, a trailer and gameplay at gamescom would be amazing.
by adom11800
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm saving up for my next payday so I have a cushion to go ahead and up to the $450 tier, if it is still available by then.

Surprised they didn't confirm participation at Gamescom, but I've got a good feeling they are going to do that on August 3rd, similar to SEGAs reveal of 1+2's release date trailer.

This community astounds me. I've followed many Kickstarters, but I've never seen any pull in that much money last minute via Slacker Backer. I'm wagering a lot of people upgraded their pledges.

I honestly feel it will blow through to $7.5 million before it ends, granting us the fully fleshed out combat system which is what I really wanted.

Yeah, we were probably going to get it anyway,(they cant say that because nobody would continue to contribute) but if the area expansion goals beyond are funded by DS, then reaching the High Ground System means we get the fully realized experience.
by Valascaziel
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...As long as those people don't forget to actually buy [a few] copies at launch as well ;-)
Remember folks, the game has yet to sell a single copy as things stand.

Re: the PC version. Their wording seems to indicate that the game is included on the actual disc (discs?). If it isn't, then it's a PR fuck up on their part (as well as a bummer for us; this was why I pulled the trigger on my second pre-order pledge in the first place).

I just upped by pledge, and will be purchasing two copies at launch. \:D/
by ManoTemple
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic