Search found 99 matches

Return

Re: Kowloon Room Raid Video Project

Believe it or not, there is actually more to explore of the Yellow Head Building!

http://youtu.be/jvyJPWmcSfA

The incredible power of the Map Glitch not only allows you to skip through pretty much everything you have to do in order to get up to Dou Niu, it also allows you to go beyond the 18th floor. The insanity of Shenmue detail overkill shines here as everything from floor 19 to 39 actually exists and can be explored. It does eventually run out of rooms on the 23rd floor but it's still baffling to no end, that they actually put nearly 100 rooms there that nobody was ever intended to get to...
by BlueMue
Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

http://oi57.tinypic.com/jt5m6v.jpg

I think I barely even noticed that this was released last year; I was looking forward to it, then forgot about it. Was given a giftcard recently though, and decided to use that toward the Nintendo eshop. Might also try out Mighty Gunvolt (a sort of 8-bit rendition of Gunvolt crossing over with Mighty No. 9, in the style of an old Mega Man game). Bummer, it looks like Mighty would have been free if I'd gotten Gunvolt back when it first came out.
Might have gone for Shinobi III in 3D instead of MG, but of course it had to be a single damn dollar over my $20 limit. Maybe another time.
There actually seems to be some cool stuff on the eshop. Never checked it out before. And since I can save everything to an SD card, it's not so bad paying for digital stuff this time.
by OL
Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^Actually, Attack of the Friday Monsters and Yumi's Odd Odyssey are some of the main ones I was looking at. The latter in particular, because it's obviously a continuation of an old IP (I remember playing that one on an SNES emulator way back and loving it). But yeah, the price is pretty high. Attack of the Friday Monsters is pretty reasonable though, at only 7.99, and I was surprised by how incredibly endearing it looks. Good recommendations.
by OL
Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There should be a system in place, where the board automatically gives a thanks from all members for every AC purchase.

This guy. :mrgreen:
Agreement all the way.
Also Henry, ACV is excellent if you ever find yourself wanting more AC. Pretty different feel from AC4 as well, so you know you won't just be repeating yourself.

As for me, I'm currently downloading:
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2a6vx1l.jpg
Just got really interested when thinking about it earlier, so I had to add some extra funds to the eshop and go for it.
I've got plenty left over after this too, so I've got some further choices to make in downloadable games (I'm leaning toward Liberation Maiden and Shinobi III 3D at the moment).

EDIT: Just grabbed:
http://oi58.tinypic.com/vobs6b.jpg
Could not resist.
by OL
Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Azure Striker Gunvolt.
Played it to death, got the "true" ending, etc.
Absolutely wonderful little throwback to the Mega Man X series. If anyone is ever aching for a new foray into MMX-style territory, this really is the place to go. The attitude is the same, the control is practically the same, the story is extremely similar (just replace the word "reploid" with "adept," really), the music has a similar vibe, and the bosses are similarly pattern-based and challenging. Actually, the boss battles took me a bit by surprise, if if only for the fact that these are some of the best MM-style boss fights I've ever played. Really excellently-designed stuff. The fact that the gameplay is more about tagging and shocking rather than just straightforward blasting really adds to it as well, since there's a lot more strategy involved.
I really hope this gets a sequel somewhere down the line. It's a very cool IP, and I feel like there's a lot more that could be done with it. I just fear that, being a download-only title for the 3DS, its release may have been a bit too low-key for it to have been all that successful. I'm just guessing, but I don't think it's been all that widely-played, unfortunately.
Here's hoping I'm wrong though, because this really deserves to be a series.
by OL
Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Latest Purchases

Hadn't thought of it before, but I guess this is the first classical cd (well, cd set) I've ever bought. Love classical music, just never actually bought any before now.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2cyp10.jpg

I listen to a classical station on the radio a lot nowadays, and I think I really have settled on the notion that Paganini is my favorite classical composer overall. While the works of so many others seem almost indistinguishable from each other in style (though I like them both, if you asked me to point out a Handel piece as opposed to a Bach piece, I'd be at a loss) it seems like I can always spot a Paganini piece easily. There's a complexity and an attention to detail in his violin composition that I just don't hear in anyone else's music. And being that violin is easily my favorite classical instrument, that's a big plus.
And the recordings on this set are likely some of the most polished, high-quality representations of his work available, from what I've been able to hear.
by OL
Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://i58.tinypic.com/20060s7.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/28w0av9.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2mgoze0.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/15oj5vo.jpg

I now have nearly every single FPS on the console (once these arrive). To my knowledge, I am missing just Turok 3, Quake II and HeXen. Super-excited about Doom 64 and Quake 64. The former I had when it was new, back in the day. I kind of dismissed it then as lame next to GoldenEye, but it's considered a classic among Doom fans (some even call it "the true Doom 3"), and I myself these days have an appreciation for FPS games of that era. Will be nice to play it again, especially in full screen, full speed NTSC (pretty sure this is one of those earlier N64 games with a crappy PAL conversion).

The only version of the original Quake I ever played was the Saturn release. It was a strong technical achievement on that console, from the venerable Lobotomy Software (who did amazing work on the Saturn). Still, the SlaveDriver Engine isn't the Quake engine. Thus, just as Duke 3D doesn't feel quite right on Saturn because it's running on SlaveDriver, and Duke 64 does because Eurocom actually ported Build to the N64, I imagine a similar scenario with Quake. On another note, I always preferred the gothic style of the original Quake to all that cyborg Strogg nonsense of the sequels.

I've never played Diddy Kong Racing (I know..), so it will be interesting to see what all the fuss was about. People say that it's the go-to racer on the console after Mario Kart 64. Can't see it topping 'Kart, personally, but who knows? It's a Rareware title from their heyday, so it's probably a strong effort. Mario Kart 64 is the only game in my N64 collection that everyone seems to love. Only old gamers will play GoldenEye etc with you, but 'Kart seems to appeal to all. If DKR is as good as everyone says it is, maybe I'll have two games for family get-togethers?

I had 007: The World is Not Enough back in the day on my old PAL system. I actually loved it back then, and didn't get all the hate it received. Perhaps the ire was directed towards the PSone version, which as I understand it was completely different. The N64 game was made by the awesome Eurocom, and was a great title. Not revolutionary like GoldenEye, of course, but not every game can break the mould. I remember TWINE on the N64 as a solid FPS game. Let's hope my memory serves me well.

Can't wait for these to arrive! Collecting imports for an old console is difficult, expensive and time consuming. For example, there's a million PAL Quake 64's for a relative pittance on eBay, but once in a great while, an NTSC cartridge will pop up with a heavy price tag. Thems the breaks, I guess. I've now got a sizeable collection, though. It's only going to get bigger, too. One day I dream of going on The Antiques Roadshow with all this NTSC N64 crap I've accrued. I even have a limited edition golden console to play them on! :king:
by Martin
Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Dear lord, I hate that horse puppet. I hate it. I want it to die.
Some interesting stuff in the video nonetheless, with a lot of games I wasn't really aware of. And the guy himself is likable and easy to listen to.
But god... that horse...
by OL
Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Christmas Box

I've been feeling depressed about owning videogames for the past couple years... it's sort of like reverse-collectors impulse. Each new item I get makes me feel worse. I want to get rid of them because their image and existence in my household is opposite of the lifestyle and image I'd like to withhold as my present or future self. I feel as though they're ultimately holding me back from achieving my own personal goals.

The problem is, that no matter how much I want to get rid of certain things, I feel too sentimental towards them and am ultimately unable to let go, I think of fond memories and crap and never make any progress. However, I've come up with a solution. Actually, I've had this idea in the past and may have even attempted it (but never succeeded so whatever).

This idea is called "the Christmas Box". It's really simple, I take a few consoles and games (very select precious ones that mean something to me) and put them in a box. I then bring this box over to my parents house and leave it there permanently in their attic (they don't mind, they've got space). These few games still exist and can still be enjoyed but only during the Holidays and during a time separate from reality in a sense (Christmas vacation seems separate).

This is what I've put in the box:

PLAYSTATION
Mega Man Legends
Metal Gear Solid
Breath of Fire IV

NINTENDO 64
Majora’s Mask
Ocarina of Time
Mischief Makers
Paper Mario
Mystical Ninja
Banjo-Kazooie

DREAMCAST
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies of Arcadia

GAMEBOY
Link’s Awakening DX
Pokémon Red
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Land 2

GAMEBOY ADVANCE
Friends of Mineral Town
Final Fantasy V
Metroid Fusion

Also I've put this poster in there as well:
http://i.imgur.com/blkLv4A.jpg

I'm not sure why I made this its own topic, as I'm not sure it warrants much discussion, but I figured you can all call me weird or whatever if you'd like -- since I seem to be making a big deal over nothing... but I feel as though videogames plague my life as I've become attached to too many things. It's frustrating, I feel closed in by too many things despite not having a particularly large collection. I'd prefer to have very little but have trouble letting go. It drives me crazy.
by Thief
Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

What a remix!
phpBB [video]
by AM2
Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Once again, Hotline Miami 2 has an amazing soundtrack
phpBB [video]
by Chaos
Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The alcohol thread

Funny you bring this back while I just had some whiskey. Jim Beam, which is ofcourse American but the company was recently purchased by Suntory. See ads for it all the time here in Japan and sure enough it did the trick and I got some. Its not great but good.. and I enjoy the change of pace compared to beer.
But recently ive tried to hold back on drinking even though it's the best way to meet Japanese people and have real conversations. So..once a week a single drink home. Once a month socially. More if I BBQ or special occasion.
by Axm
Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My friend and I tanked a bottle of Johnny Walker Black last night and a little vodka. I don't really remember any of last night and today has been horrific. Too old for this shit!
by St. Elmo's Fire
Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^speaking of which I haven't tried Japanese whisky yet. What would you recommend?
Hibiki is really good. Theirs a few types
http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2014-01-14/2d5cd900-fb23-4c76-8416-47d370120d29_hibiki_core-range.jpg
I've had the 17 and 21. Both were really good. I prefered the 21.
Then theirs the general Suntory and thats just..ok.
by Axm
Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Perceived Beauty of Foreign Language

I've always been fascinated to listen to people speak in languages other than my own. There's an interesting quality that can only be found in voice -- beauty in foreign sounds.. sounds to be somehow more than just nonsense noise. And while listening to these sounds, certain languages I find to be much more beautiful than others -- for no real reason other than I do.

Personally I'm especially attracted to the German language, I love to listen to people speak in German. I oftentimes hear people speak how German is an ugly language... and I couldn't disagree more. I think oftentimes when people come to this conclusion it's simply a result of that particular person having little exposure to the language. Maybe they've only seen World War II movies consisting of yelling nazis -- or maybe they've seen some sort of german caricature that is similar. But actual spoken German is beautiful, in my opinion. I'm also quite fond of Spanish.

One language, while I'm sure it's beautiful in its own right, that has always sounded real off-putting to me, is French. I often hear people tell me that this is one of the most beautiful languages, but I just don't hear it. It has always sounded very ugly to me. I can't even tell you why -- other than it sounds very throaty and weird. Not to say that it actually IS an ugly language, but perhaps I just need to study the language more and grow to like the sound of it. These are very superficial feelings considering I don't speak the language.

Anyway, any thoughts on languages you enjoy the sound of?
by Thief
Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite movie scenes

The ending of Sonatine:

phpBB [video]

Scene from Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl:

phpBB [video]
by Sean
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

Tried my best to re-create the You Arcade in animal crossing new leaf

had to take some artistic liberties... :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/c7flckl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mi395Ce.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kzRDOk5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/f8JGBuW.jpg

The Iwao and Tomato Mart paintings were made for me by a friend from another forum last year.

I wanted to try to do the hazuki dojo too but I don't think there's enough similar furniture to do it :(
by Chaos
Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monster Boy Announced

Things have been updated a bit over the past months. The protagonist's sprite has been changed (for the better, I think), and the title has been changed from "The Wizard of Booze" to "The Cursed Kingdom" (not sure on that; "Wizard of Booze" isn't great, but at least it was unique, while "Cursed Kingdom" is about as plain as you can get).
Yuzo Koshiro has also joined the team and will be contributing some music to it (though I really hope that doesn't mean Shinichi Sakamoto is out).
And in a nice little surprise, it looks like the game is going to have animated cutscenes. And while I might have preferred a sort of old-school anime style (to match the old Monster World games), the one they're going for is interesting, because it totally reminds me of the animation in old CD-rom games and whatnot. Cool throwback either way.
http://monsterboy.com/blog/uploads/Images/snake_demo.gif

Release has been pushed to 2016, but it seems to be shaping up nicely. Hope we see some gameplay soon.
by OL
Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There aren't a lot of those, they are definitely not of the Genesis' strengths. I suggest Beyond Oasis, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Landstalker. You could also go for Treasure's Light Crusader, but you'll probably feel short-changed.
Yeah, those are pretty much all the ones I would have mentioned. Personally, I'm actually a greater fan of Beyond Oasis and Wonder Boy in Monster World ( especially WBiMW) than I am of Link to the Past. I think they have more personality in general, but I'm also nostalgically-biased.
If you can find a translated copy, also go for Monster World IV. I prefer WBiMW (probably just for nostalgic reasons), but MWIV is still an amazingly likable, attractive little game.
The best Metroid type game should be Castlevania Bloodlines, for obvious reasons. Something with a bit more action is the first Turrican. "Mega" Turrican had more linear stages.

None of those imo, despite being good to great games, are anywhere near Super Metroid of LTTP so I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. Those two are probably as good as it gets in their categories.

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and check out all of those games. I've heard of some of them, but others are completely new to me. I personally consider both Zelda 3 and Super Metroid to be two of the best games ever made, so typically I don't expect things to be better (especially on a console that doesn't specialize in that type of game) so I don't really think I'm setting myself up to be disappointed. I'm just interested to see what the Genesis has to offer in that regard.

I plan on picking up a Genesis Flash Cart, since I prefer to play on original hardware and investing in physical Genesis cartridges has become a little too expensive for my liking these days. So I'll be sure to put the fan-translated copy of MWIV on there :)
by Thief
Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, I'd say Y4 is my second favourite behind Y2 as well. Game is great and one of the best games on the PS3.

So I beat a few more games including some more that were in my backlog for a long time the other day:

Disaster Report / SOS: The Final Escape (PS2)

Orange reviewed this far better than I ever could already but all I really have to say is that I've never played anything else like it. Felt so fresh to finally play a game set during a disaster and trying to survive. The gameplay felt so organic and i never got stuck. It was pretty amazing trying to escape some of those scenarios where the world is going to shit around you. It's a great little adventure game (only took like 5 hours to beat). I do plan on getting the other ending and going the other route next time I play. Definitely gonna get the sequel on PS2 in the future too and pre-order the fourth game on PS4 since there's nothing else like it out there.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

http://i.imgur.com/Pdl7Bns.jpg

Game is easily one of the best adventure games I've played in a long time. I enjoyed Hotel Dusk (which was a loooong time ago since I played that) but for some reason never got around to picking this up until a friend lent it to me. I was really engrossed from start to finish and it didn't disappoint. I only got stuck like once in the whole game too, which for an adventure game as long as this was (like 10 hours) with all sorts of puzzles is a testament to how well put together the game was. Game had such a nice atmosphere and kept me playing well into the night wanting to see the answers to the mysteries. The characters were all distinct and memorable. Thinking it over, this is one of the best adventure games on the DS and makes me want to track down the Another Code games from Cing as well. Can I just say how frigging good this game looks to me as well? I love the dated PSX graphical style melted in with the fantastic black and white manga styled character artwork? Nothing else like it. I need to replay Hotel Dusk again now too.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (3DS)

This game is ridiculously hard, even for SMT vets. The final stretch in the toughest route (which is the one I took because I wanted to destroy the world and create a better one, since that's just the kinda guy I am) is crazy, especially the final map where you have to basically do a boss rush against all of the toughest bosses in the game with no respite and no chance of rest. The game's story was classic SMT feel, the world is going to hell and it's pretty much set dring an apocalypse rather than after like the mainline series tends to be. There's lots of routes to take, Law (God), Chaos (Lucifer) or Neutral (AKA "fuck everything"). It's a bloody hard game, so if you're in a masochistic mood play this game. It's damn good and from the developers of Langrisser (Warsong) and Growlanser [they got bought out by Atlus] so they know their Tactical RPGs. A really good game but not one of my favourite SMT games overall I'd say due to how cheap/unpredictable it is in parts. Clocked in at around 40 hours, so it's a long game, not even touched the other routes yet.

Now onto Yakuza 5 (Best free PS+ game yet!) Also getting a good ways into Vandal Hearts 2 since I felt like a classic Tactical RPG. Crazy how different it is though with the "enemies move at the same time as you do" mechanic which adds a lot more challenge to the proceedings.
by Henry Spencer
Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Beat a few games recently, thought I'd share my thoughts on them here:

The Wolf Among Us (Xbox One) - TellTale

Game was surprisingly the best TellTale game that I've played yet. The plot tapers off a bit at the end but the visual style, music, storyline and general vibe the game gives off is really excellent. Like a film noir esque adventure supplanted with fairy tale & urban legends characters. My favourite characters were Biggsby, Grendel and Toad ("Biggsby!"). The journey is definitely better than the actual conclusion which leaves quite a few dangling plot threads unresolved and with no sequel in sight left a bit to be desired but the actual investigation and trigue side of the game is fun as are the QTEs (what's what? Well implemented QTE sections in a game?) Plus the whole synth soundtrack, good voice acting and lovely cel shaded visual style really raises the game. Fans of TellTale or not should check this game out, the game is much more linear than the other games I've played by them and there's no real difference to the conclusion but there's several routes one can take to that same conclusion.

Kuon (PS2) - From Software

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2ba0ecf738f4c92251c661bdb66abcd3/tumblr_nmbbhxs8061rs6286o1_500.jpg

Finished this last night. It's only been in my backlog for like two years, or something. The game is split into three chapters, each chapter comprising of different characters. All three of them are very good and make you go over the same maps but in different orders with different enemies and storylines. The way these stories tie up at the end is really good. I found the ending satisfying. It's also atypical when put against From Software's other games as well. It's also rather refreshing to see all three of the main characters you play as are women in a survival horror game, the latter two of which are bad asses. I liked the entire cast overall and the cutscenes though brief were well done.

The story follows a young woman called Utsuki who has lived at the same Manor her whole life with her father and sister. Her sister being really sick and her father being a demented man who is obsessed with bringing his dead wife back to life. Eventually some demon entities arrive at the Manor and all hell breaks loose and the residents all start becoming demons or beasts. The game starts out very typically survival horror with Utsuki having magic powers to fend off these demons and beasts but the game soon takes some twists and turns into Siren territory and becomes really convoluted (in a good way, since it all makes sense in the end and becomes easier to decipher...kinda).

This is another game directed/lead by Naotoshi Zin and is another great game. The credits list was very short, so it was a surprise to see such a great game have such a short staff list, makes the feat even more impressive. The game crafts some of the best horror imagery I've seen in a survival horror game yet towards the end and the storyline is really disturbing (the bosses are creepy). The game favours driving up tension as you reach the second half of the game as well and gets much harder (enemies that can two shot you).

You can switch between Japanese and English VA at will and I must say the game is fine in either, I kept switching between the two since they were both well done.

There's really no other survival horror games out there like this, set in this time period with magic as the form of defense, so it's definitely a unique game. Overall I'd say this is a great gem of a survival horror that I liked even more than Echo Night: Beyond, also by From Software. Highly recommended if you like survival horror games and still have a PS2.

Glass Rose (PS2) - Developers: Capcom/Cing/Cavia (Yup, this was co-developed by the three of them)

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/31490-glass-rose-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

I don't even want to say how long this one has been in my backlog. Anywho, I finally beat it the other night and its mediocre gameplay hindered the experience somewhat but the plotline was much more intriguing as the game progressed. What surprised me was who developed this game. Three companies I would check any of their games out. Cing handled the concept phase & storyline, Capcom designed the (quite frankly, beautiful) pre-rendered backgrounds (as well as the character designs/art and motion capture of the lead character who was modeled on a Japanese actor/model, just like the technique in Onimusha series), sound & CG cutscenes were done by Cavia and the game design/planning was shared out between the three studios, going by the credits. Overall I'd say this was a game with promise behind it but unfortunately it's pretty much just another point and click adventure game. That, and the music becomes so repetitive and the game is definitely overlong (it took me over 20 hours to beat this game! One of the longer adventure games I've played in some time).

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/rose_111103_bg07.jpg

It's weird this was only released in Europe and not in the US since it was definitely Capcom US that handled the localization (noticed Ben Judd's name in there, who handled the Ace Attorney series localization). On this front, it was a mixed bag, felt like the game could have gone through another pass on the script which felt very dry at times and like a straight translation. The voice acting was done by a whole bunch of Shenmue voice actors, including the main character's voiced by the guy who voiced Fuku-san/Ren/Guizhang (Eric Kelso) as well as other Shenmue VA whose voices I recognised but couldn't quite place them off the top of my head and I recognised Barry Burton's terrible VA from Resident Evil 1 as well among the cast. Adds a certain "charm" to the game, for sure.

Unfortunately the game is bogged down by really linear design and super obtuse "go here/click here to advance the plot with telling you anything or any real clues on what to do next at all" and the music gets so damn repetitive. The "choose the right word from the dialogue to advance the conversation" is just bad game design all around as well, sometimes you will be getting frustrated with this as it's so hard to tell what word or combination of words the game wants from you. I just got tired of this in the end up and used GameFAQs...

http://img4.meristation.com/files/imagenes/noticias/2011/12/09/glassrose_a680149766.jpg?1323701286

The scenario is definitely really intriguing, it starts out as some murder mystery as somebody in this large family that has been gathered to this mansion (which is a character in itself, I got lost so many times playing this game and the game leaves you no clues where to go next many times, you basically have to have a GameFAQs open the whole time to figure out where to go next and what to click on to advance the plot) and somebody in the family is murdering others in the family and attempting to kill the main character but becomes rather creepy and interesting in its second half as it explores the psychology of the master of the mansion (who is mad) and family (who are also mad) and the secrets of the main characters start to reveal hidden layers to the plot. It's also a time travel plot where (the main character was zapped into the past along with his girlfriend and try to find their way back to the present) he is effectively put into the past to figure out an unsolved mystery surrounding a missing detective as well as the main mysteries. The game has multiple endings and I ended up with the two more downbeat ones but still felt satisfied enough with it overall. I'd class this as an above average adventure game with beautiful CG sequences by Cavia, unique atmosphere and a good scenario/plot by Cing and amazing pre-rendered backgrounds crafted by Capcom are the main strengths of this game.
by Henry Spencer
Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From Software's Echo Night Beyond (PS2)

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/3/7/1/57371_front.jpg

Finished this just now. Obtained all four endings as well (there's no NG+, it's pretty much a variety of choices at the end of the game, so it's not like you have to play through the whole thing again, thank god, since it's long for a survival horror game - length for me was like just over 10 hours). All 4 endings are really good but the "True Ending" which is the fourth one is really quite sad and well put together.

The game take space on the Moon in an abandoned (now desolate) Lunar site. Noticed how every Echo Night game you play as a guy called "Richard Osmond" which is strange since they are all separate with no story connections, it seems. This game was directed by Naotoshi Zin, creator of the King's Field and Shadow Tower series and the founder of From Software. Gameplay is your usual first person horror - hide and evade the enemies since ther eis no combat to speak of. In fact, this game is straight up adventure gaming. Pick up items, find items, use items on environments or ghosts to unlock the next area or scene. Found it pretty absorbing but you definitely have to be in the mood for a good horror adventure game (played it initially like a year ago but wasn't feeling it then since I was not in that mood which I was now). The sound design is fantastic, as per usual with a From game, as are the visuals. Was surised by how good the game looked on the PS2 quite honestly.

Every ghost is unique, much like the case with Fatal Frame, except here you cannot fight back, all you can do is clear the fog via ventilation systems to stop them attacking you and sometimes it is hard to find them scattered around long hallways whilst they are pursuing you, which makes for some tense situations. I wouldn't describe it as a "scary" horror game, rather, it is quite organic and melancholic in its style. Its tone throughout is pretty much one of being morose but being hopeful with its way it tells the stories of how each and every ghost (who all have their own names/backstories that you learn about along the way). Honestly felt quite sad in some circumstances with what happened to some of the ghosts and their stories like how one ghost just wanted to see his sick sister again back on Earth. Or the old lady being reuinted with her pet cat.

http://i.imgur.com/j3AGhNl.jpg
Ghost attacking you:
http://i.imgur.com/lEOIWw9.jpg
This guy is a prick (most consistent threat throughout the game):
http://i.imgur.com/p2Tasxk.jpg

Overall I'd say this was a very good game and really enjoyed my time with it. Highly recommended, one of those lost gems on the PS2 which there are so many of.
by Henry Spencer
Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^And which are they? I could use some hot tips
-Kiwami 2
-The yakuza reboot which I assume will be coming out next year
-fist of the north star
-the yakuza hd ports (although I probably won't play them straight away but it will be cool to have all the games on one console)
-days gone
-red dead redemption 2
-cyperpunk 2077 (this one might not come out so soon though)
-shenmue hd
-shenmue 3
-death stranding
-kingdom hearts 3
-ghost of tsushima
-RE2 remake

Starfield and beyond good and evil 2 also interest me but I'm waiting to see more first, also no guarantee they release so soon either.
by south carmain
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

^Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of seeing this one in Madrid:
https://i.imgur.com/wlyjJ1j.jpg

Hitler Masturbating (1973), watercolor
Salvador Dali

lol, ive not seen that before.

there is always something disturbing when you hear things about the "greats", be it actors,artists, historical figures. apart of me wants them all to be A sexual. :lol:

nsw :roll:
https://youtu.be/AwjuW9D8HT8?t=6m1s
by redline
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

Just a shout out to those who missed getting a copy of the Shenmue vinyl soundtrack, Data Discs is restocking it this summer.

by sand4fish
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #84 - Survey Info #1: Survey Started!

^ I don't think you have to worry about it. I've had many Kickstarter purchases prior to Shenmue 3, including some handled by Fangamer itself, sent to Canada where I currently live and not a single custom charge was given. Kickstarter is basically a donation site before anything else.

*If that wasn't the case I'd feel sorry for Peter and others who put 10K into it.
by sand4fish
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #84 - Survey Info #1: Survey Started!

Yeah, I've Kickstarted a few things and have never paid customs duties or tax. Then again, I think some of them lied on the customs forms, so...
by Reprise
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

There are one or two things in Yakuza 0 that might draw a double take from Shenmue fans.

I'm currently playing Yakuza 6. I've been playing the series since its debut on PS2, and it's a thrill to be able to explore parts of Kamurocho in more depth (5 had taken a step back from 4 in that respect). I find myself disappointed by the combat system now though. Whereas in past games I'd have used at least a couple Heat moves per battle, now the need to "activate" Heat mode with a lengthy animation that leaves Kazuma vulnerable means I'm rarely using them at all. As a result, the fights are pretty boring.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Data Discs Repress - Shenmue Soundtrack Vinyl

I opened mine up yesterday! Looks and plays lovely!
https://i.imgur.com/ZZcZXs2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tIrNlDp.jpg
It has a transparent look to it too which is a bonus :) and the Art Print you get is on solid card. What also suprised me is the high quality of the sleeve the record sits in, not just one of them lousy paper ones most records are in that need replacing. This is a great product and I can safely recommend it to all Shenmu fans into Vinyl.

Here's a YT video which plays both sides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m6k1dSYmpI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m6k1dSYmpI
by TheThirdComing
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Data Discs Repress - Shenmue Soundtrack Vinyl

This is great. My two year old son is obsessed with vinyl and loves playing my original copy of this all the time. I've been wanting another one to keep in mint condition as a collectible.
by mikec_ct
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

Just got back to work after lunch, time to turn on Gradio and connect to a Japanese vaporware station in order to focus > 'Nightwave Plaza' https://plaza.one/ , nice.... All of a sudden a cover of Shenhua's theme start playing from Space Magic -- Winter Solitude. Totally random Shenmue encounter in rl. Uplifted, day made.

https://i.imgur.com/RstCyvm.png

Found it on yt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vMW72_h6s
by KiBa
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Picked up Yakuza 6
https://media.playstation.com/is/image/SCEA/yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-essence-of-art-edition-product-shot-01-ps4-us-07dec17?$MediaCarousel_Original$

and Yakuza Kiwami
https://s.pacn.ws/1500/ss/yakuza-kiwami-steelbook-edition-518245.1.jpg?ooj7v3

and a new laptop for pc games i've missed over the last decade or so.
https://www.alternate.nl/p/o/p/MSI_GL62MVR_7REX_1062NL__15_6___notebook@@pl6mznc6_30.jpg

Aaaand I'm broke.
by Coromasta
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I picked up Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 today :mrgreen:
by AnimeGamer183
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

I try to enjoy Sonic Mania at least for 10-15 min per day. It reeeeeeeaaaaaally brings me back to reality, recenters my morality. Sometimes I forget we're supposed to free the enslaved as fast as possible.
by KiBa
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

However... where are the hidden gems of this generation? I see a lot of indie games but these have a tendency to look and feel quite similar between themselves as they adhere strongly to the "retro-inspired" trope. I haven't been able to otherwise identify too many, especially made in Japan games, and my "shopping list" right now has only two: Polybius and Dangerous Golf (none of which are japanese of course). I would definitely add Hollow Knight to that list as well, which I already have. Which others can you recommend? What am I missing?

Yeah, not sure what exactly criteria you are using but there are plenty either way... I've only completed a very few of these titles as for most of them I've only played to a certain extent, but I'm very confident they are gems: Planetary Annihilation (RTS and one of the best ever), Divinity Origin Sin 1 & 2 (probably the most faithful representation of pen and paper RPGs), Talos Principle (puzzle adventure not unlike the Portal series, but way better IMO). Rust (online survival FPS... you will not see the brilliance of this game with just a few hours of gameplay) and Wonderful 101 (such an underrated PlatinumGames title. Most see it as just an action brawler, but this game is more akin to a fighting game in its mechanics if you know what you are doing. Play Vanquish too while you are at it if you haven't).

If the budget must be rubbish like most in the indie scene and it has to be Japanese, then try this mobile shmup made by an ex-Cave employee, Aka to Blue. Though not Japanese, I also recommend Pathologic and Factorio.
by sand4fish
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The previous console generations all had a slew of "hidden gems", games that usually have modest sales that are either loved by the critics and hated by the public or vice-versa, that are usually not perfect but bring forward something new and original to the table, later evolving into another trope of the industry: the "cult classic". Shenmue of course is an obvious example.

Ive missed a lot of this generation. Coming in recently though I'm surprised to see a lot of love for these "cult classics". We're seeing re-releases of games like Okami and Rez (& Shenmue), the revival of series like MonsterBoy, Torment and Beyond Good & Evil (& Shenmue) and even Yakuza and Earth Defense Force are in the Playstation Hits line in the West. I think this is great, and probably a case of a critical mass of hardcore gamers that has been building up since the 90s, which now represents big business and can justify the investment.

However... where are the hidden gems of this generation? I see a lot of indie games but these have a tendency to look and feel quite similar between themselves as they adhere strongly to the "retro-inspired" trope. I haven't been able to otherwise identify too many, especially made in Japan games, and my "shopping list" right now has only two: Polybius and Dangerous Golf (none of which are japanese of course). I would definitely add Hollow Knight to that list as well, which I already have. Which others can you recommend? What am I missing?

For me those kind of games are on the Vita and 3DS.

Games like Lost Dimension for fans of hybrid RPGs (mixture of SRPG and Action, with a retro-futuristic art style), Mercenaries Saga Trilogy (also on Switch) if you're into SRPGs like Tactics Ogre/FFT, Soul Hackers if you like cyberpunk JRPGs, Azure Gunvolt if you like side scrolling action, Grand Kingdom (which is also on PS4) if you like board games, SRPGs and tactical action combat.

There's also what Bethesda have been putting out like The Evil Within 1 & 2 (which are different attempts of creating modern survival horror), Prey and Dishonored 2 which all have cult audiences and are fantastic games in their own right.

Then there's the recently released Vampyr which is building up a cult fanbase. Looks really good to me.

Knowing you since you're into Japanese adventure games like me, I can see you maybe liking the upcoming Jake Hunter game for the 3DS, Ghost of the Dusk, which has a gritty Japanese art style and is out at the end of August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmCiisn0WbA

Plus there was also that game from former members of Cing released not too long ago which I need to play, Chase: Cold Case Investigations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_h4W7Y_pY
by Henry Spencer
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for the recommendations, and keep them coming

Probably one of the most interesting and unique games I've played this gen is a little sleeper called Echo. It's stealth, and I'm not sure how you feel about that, but the mechanics are a good deal more individual than the genre usually aims for.
Basically the protagonist is trying to navigate her way through this strange sci-fi palace that seems to have scanned and created copies of her. As you make your way through an area, the palace takes note of what movements and actions you take -- running, ducking, jumping over things, opening doors, walking through water, shooting -- and begins to apply those actions to its copies. Essentially whatever you do, the copies learn to do as well, which means you can make things easier or harder on yourself depending on what actions you decide to utilize.
It's very odd and challenging, and as you can see the aesthetics are generally very unique and surreal as well. It's not horror necessarily, but there is a very unnerving quality to the whole thing.
I haven't finished it quite yet, but it still stands out to me as one of the best of the "unknown and underappreciated" this gen. It's definitely available on Steam and PS4 (I bought it for both). Not sure about the Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5Lh7Uu-EA
by OL
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic