Search found 25 matches

Return

Re: "Indie" or "AAA" game?

We are getting to see what happens after Shenmue 2, isn't that good enough? Why does it have to be a AAA title?
by PILMAN
Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4/Sony exclusive (No Sega involvement) speculation

This isn't about console wars but more so about facts. The poster came in here clearly criticizing the kickstarter campaign, it wasn't even a legitimate concern about the kickstarter or how it was being run but complete speculation that somehow he believed it would be a mediocre game or a failure and based on this has some sort of grudge that the game originally came out on Xbox and was "supposed" to be released on the 360 but wasn't.

I'm not for exclusives on consoles but in this case I think it's very well justified. Most of us here have been following shenmue from the very beginning, I've been on the dojo since its founding but registered on the forums in January 2004 , most of us waited every year for e3 about some sort of announcement of shenmue even settling for a movie or a manga when we knew and felt at the time there was no chance that shenmue 3 would come just to know the end of the story. Most of us had given up the idea that it was ever going to come out but still held on, therefore we will take what we can to see the story continue.

To go into more detail about shenmue on the xbox, it is much deeper than that, we all know that shenmue was originally developed for sega Saturn and all work that was done had to be restarted on the dreamcast and released essentially close to the consoles death, it just wasn't good timing, and at the time shenmue 2 while released in Europe for dreamcast, did not come over here and yes mr moore played some role in that but originally Microsoft had some form of agreement from what I recall and understand that they would be involved in shenmue marketing and as a result it would not be released on dreamcast in the U.S., on the forum at that time there were major complaints that shenmue was not being advertised, and on the Xbox forums at the time, others were upset the game was not being recognized, a number of gaming magazines did review shenmue for the Xbox, while some were positive, like ign, most were mediocre ranging closer to the 70s for rating and was mocked many times on TV heavily on g4tv also known as tech TV at the time. It was actually rated 2nd worse game of all time on g4tv and angered many of us here at the dojo. Articles in oxm and other gaming magazines generally felt the game was boring and had very little information and at that time your average cod player couldn't care less about the game and would openly mock shenmue.

There is a reason why i don't believe shenmue should show up on xbox, Microsoft barely advertised or made any one aware of shenmue through advertisements which I will dig up articles which from my understanding played a major role to allow Microsoft to acquire it as a exclusive on the Xbox at the time in the U.S., reviews generally were very poor including from oxm, there was a demo of the game included on oxm but it didn't show any of the core features of shenmue, it was some qte action with yuanda Zus representative hiding out at one of the places where you did the chawan sign and had a qte fight in the market, as a result it gave people the wrong idea of the game and didn't show any of the open world features. It really had no where near the marketing or exposure that other major games had at that time and was treated more as second tier with really no benefit over the dreamcast version, actually if anything we had a reduction of textures which were noticeable that the moon was missing, joys bike had missing textures, many textures were reversed or gates had removed textures, thinks that didn't make sense overall and of course the change to the english language.

Microsoft also released the backwards compatibility for shenmue very late on the 360 and had significant issues. I feel that as a result, shenmue fares better on the PC and ps4 where at least it's getting the marketing it needs and funded by Pepe who care about the game.
by PILMAN
Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Demul v0.7 alpha released. (Dreamcast Emulator)

This is the error I get when I click 'Run Dreamcast'

http://s9.postimg.org/6ws39rqb3/demul_error.png

It's probably something stupid but I can't find any reference for this error online. Have you guys seen this before?

you need the BIOS and you need it in your ROMS folder, unfortunately I cannot provide information where to obtain it.

I have made a video however in regards to my settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7mtk6QSDE
by PILMAN
Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BIG BANG! 6 million reached and it keeps going!!!

Just upped my pledge to $175

by PILMAN
Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Day: What did you pledge?

Final pledge is $185.00 that is the most I can afford. It was a last minute plea with my wife and she gave me the go ahead.
by PILMAN
Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For those freaking out about Shenmue not hitting $10 million

I wanted to make this post as it seems there is still some fear going around in the media that somehow because Shenmues kickstarter didn't pass 10 million dollars that somehow it didn't succeed. Unfortunately I have heard this from others who claim that in order for the game to be truly open world that it would need 10 million.
Based on Suzukis quotes and also his answers, it sounds like this isn't actually the case at all, regardless of the case, if you can donate in the future on paypal, we should definitely encourage further investing but should not promote a negative mentality that somehow we did not succeed in this.

If you check the stretch goals at 11 million, it indicates "Bailu Village Expanded Magic Maze" which simply seems to indicate that if all stretch goals were met (which were added along the time of the kickstarter because we already reached the actual amount requested of 2 million), that due to fan requests of certain things like minigames, forklift, jobs, etc. that Suzuki would offer fan service in exchange for the stretch goals. Actually, it seems to indicate the game already was going to be open world from the beginning and all the stretch goals would do would add some additional options to fighting and some expanded things to do in the other rural villages while Baisha seemed to be the most concern in regards to development. Suzuki even mentioned that he was trying to figure out how forklifts would be utilized that one of the towns was a port town.

So overall I guess the moral is, be happy, we succeeded and I believe Yu Suzuki is happy, and if you "can" contribute more in the future to paypal, by all means feel free to do so, but don't think or expect somehow the game will be any less based on how much was contributed, the figures that were raised are impressive and we should be proud of this!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/168/972/1dbb7cc467ba9a1f98f08d96d7034620_original.png?v=1437183142&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=6cea5cf28ef6d68f5fb96a2c663ee42f

Also for those who need some reassurance, check this out even though it's old news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283666
by PILMAN
Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The miracle of Shenmue III

It is a miracle, if you remember all the frustration we had to endure with years of waiting for E3 announcements and TGS, and then the false hope and lies from Adam Doree and Kikizo claiming they had inside knowledge of development, and then Adam Doree flat out claiming the game was cancelled and scrapped in 2007. If you consider all of the inconsistency in reporting over the years, I am very surprised that Shenmue is being developed today, but all for the better :)
by PILMAN
Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ouch, the comments on the youtube trailer are harsh...

Gamespot has always been anti shenmue and was responsible for spreading the rumors about shenmue 3s cancellation back in the day.

As for the other, there will always be the anti shenmue idiot that thinks the entire world should be playing battlefield or call of duty multiplayer. Who cares what they think.
by PILMAN
Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

I guess this is a random thought. I've grown tired of constantly hearing about the Israel-Palestine conflict and things about Jews on social media/youtube/yahoo answers/reddit or personal forums I visit, etc. It seems that particularly in the United States, ethnic background is still a big issue and somehow those perceived differently are not viewed as "American" as others. Unfortunately not really something I can ignore, my last name is uniquely and specifically of Hebrew origin which translates to Priest, unfortunately I've discovered that due to my mixed ancestry (German Mother (convert to Judaism)/Jewish Father), i'm not really fully accepted by Jews, but at the same time i'm not fully accepted by Germans or what not either.

Call it a minor annoyance but it really sucks when someone assumes that somehow I am some rich banker with connections to good jobs or have some sort of dual loyalty and that I need to prove more so than the average American that I am legitimately American or set apart as some sort of exclusion because I represent in someones eyes the issue or problem going on in the world. I've explained this and summed it up that it's strange that when someone says they are religiously a Jew, people say it's a ethnic or racial background. When people say they are a ethnic or racial Jew, they are told it's just a religion, yet if I claim to be from some random European country, I can't possibly be from there because Jews are viewed as foreigners from those countries historically.

I suppose it's been something that's bothered me for a while as I'd rather not be judged by who my ancestors are or seen as any less of a person, sometimes our own family can treat us worse than our own enemies and being hated by both sides creates problems. We shouldn't have to be apologetic or be forced to make an opinion on something based on what another individuals actions are.

Despite being a gentile, I know that feeling in a different way.

Being white, but not really considered white. Being hispanic but not really being considered hispanic. It's a bit of a mindfuck and confusion that is only exacerbated when cultures clash and conflicts dealing with countries we have lineage with start getting into political turmoil.

Thank you for understanding, it can really suck at times mainly because I grew up where people would generally say "well I am Italian" or "I am Sicilian" "I am Irish"
If it makes you feel any better in Europe we just consider them American and find it funny that they still claim to be from here despite their families immigrating to the US generations ago and them themselves having only known the USA.

Also Ironically I'm pretty sure that many of them are mixed with all sorts of other European nationalities like most Americans and are just cherrypicking the heritage they prefer to identify as.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is identity politics and attempting to feel unique or special in some way. I hear a lot of Americans claim "well my great great grandma was a cherokee indian", I am just kind of rolling my eyes.
by PILMAN
Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ouch, the comments on the youtube trailer are harsh...

Most people after the y generation and up are not going to appreciate this type of game and this has been going on for years, all you have to do is read forum posts and reviews from the period when shenmue and shenmue 2 came out. The new generation of kids don't appreciate the old games, and if they do because of new releases, it's due to jumping on the bandwagon and hype train where it's become cool to get the next big thing.

This is why I bring up GTA and Call of duty frequently, I played the first gta and I played the second, they were loyal to the PC fan base and no one could care outside of the PC circle except for the limited release on dreamcast. As soon as 3 was announced and was a Sony exclusive, the hype and controversy built a fan base. Newer fans like these kids buying gta v never played the original games and are simply going off the budget and the Michael bay like action and online portion, they don't care about the story and never have, it reminds me of Gary's mod for half life. Gary's mod is fun but I prefer half life for the story.

Call of duty is the same, barely any of the kids who play call of duty grew up with the first games, I played call of duty when it first came out and it was advertised as having realistic sounds recorded from firearms and replicating world war 2 battles, by the time modern warfare came out, it attracted a completely different fanbase and isolated the original players. This has always been a popularity contest, and the fact is shenmue rubs those game bases the wrong way because they didn't appreciate the art of shenmue, they literally don't care and you aren't going to convince them because most of these individuals have the attention span and intelligence of a fruit fly.

It was no different when shenmue 2 came out to Xbox, I attempted to have friends try it and they wouldn't even give It 5 minutes before ejecting the disk or showing a complete lack of interest. We know who we are as fans and we got the game we want, the rest, it does not matter.
by PILMAN
Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

High res passport models mod for shenmue ?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the high resolution models of the passport disk as a mod for shenmue via emulator?
by PILMAN
Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Racism

I take a neutral standpoint, there are the racists, and then you have social justice warriors, and both are equally bad.

In the United States, there tends to be a obsession on what someone's background is, people are afraid that if they are not seen as different, they they will be viewed as one of the individuals of privilege, and so it is easier to proclaim a victim status. This is why you see so many individuals claiming to be Cherokee Indian or some other Native American ancestry or associate as one of the persecuted, this becomes problematic because these individuals expect others to feel shame or more sensitive that it is a civic duty and they tend to take the fun out of everything by reminding Americans and attempting to claim that we are just simply immigrants who stole the land and oppressed everyone as some form of guilt complex.

On the other hand, racism is becoming an issue as well, it's taken a different shape and form that has infiltrated every aspect of society, the police, government, judges, politicians, doctors, military, etc. most are keeping under the radar and acting as lone wolves and they are fueled purely by their fundamentalist ideology and simply are unwilling to listen to a intellectual rational discussion, this applies to all colors that they simply want to segregate or oppress anyone who doesn't share their same genetics.

Myself, my wife is Colombian, she is half Amerindian and Spanish, and I am half German via my mother and half Jewish from my father who is of Levantine descent. We have encountered the issue from all sides because society hasn't yet figured if we are white or mixed or some other group, on one side, I represent the elite and the top and end up getting thrown in as part of the problem before my mouth has ever opened, on the other hand, because I don't tend to look like the typical American nor does my wife, sometimes we get thrown in as part of the minority since I tend to have more of a Italian or Greek look and she has a obvious mestiza look, this attracts unpleasant comments sometimes towards my wife and I. We have heard everything from "go back to where you came from" to "speak English!!!" Or "you are stealing our jobs!"

In colombia, race was never an issue at all, you are just Colombian, it exists to a entree, mainly in the economic sector however it's not as big of a deal as it is in the United States, South America is not as politically correct as the U.S. Which pushes a extremist agenda on both sides.

Honestly I dislike both racism from all sides and safety net equality where one group is given more privileges than another. Being stuck in the middle ticking off both sides is another story altogether.
by PILMAN
Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I do not believe there is a issue of racism in the United States as much as there was in the past, I do think it still exists to a degree, but not to the extent that is being claimed.

The problem is the stigma of racism is always associated or tied in the media to people of European ancestry and rarely focus on racism from other groups which I find troubling.

Clearly we see the damage that a person who even uses a ethnic slur or racial slur on how it affects their career, just look at the recent story with hulk hogan, his entire career and history has been erased from the wwe over his use of a racial slur. It is not tolerated as much as it used to be. If you were to ask the majority of whites how they feel about racism, the vast majority reject it. If you were to go perhaps to an area that is less ethnically diverse in the Midwest or very rural areas of the south, then it will be more prevalent and open not just from white but from the various ethnic groups and races who tend to stick together with their own.

Honestly I have had more harassment in the streets of Chicago from the "black Hebrew Israelite" cult than any other group while they sat there screaming that I am a khazar or a Edomite and cursed while openly denying the holocaust and pushing for their racist agenda. I have on occasion run into white racists, I've also run into Hispanic racists, racism exists in all groups but it is no where near what people are making it out to be. Most of the issues that are probably being brought into the public eye are issues with police brutality which isn't limited to race, it's becoming an issue all over the U.S.

Issues that are probably being brought up is wealth inequality, and wealth knows no race, a ghetto and a trailer park can be equally poor, there are more whites on food stamps than other ethnic groups however the claim is that ethnic minorities tend to face higher rates of incarceration despite being a smaller percentage of the population. I highly doubt that has to do with someone's ethnic background but likely other factors such as the location, the types of crimes being committed out of opportunity, and gang on gang crime.

The reality is if people stopped worrying so much about race and think background and started thinking of themselves more so (if you are in the U.S.) as an American, then maybe these issues wouldn't exist.
by PILMAN
Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It absolutely makes my blood boil when people claim that whites have it easy. How can that be true when multiple times in my life I've been turned down by colleges and employers because I'm a Caucasian male? How am I not the real victim of racism when I've seen first-hand others achieve my aspirations even though they were less qualified, simply because they're a "minority."

That being said, it's not something I cling to or bring up by my own initiative. Because I've put in the effort to make it so, I still have a great life and the same rights as any other American. Until that changes I'll be pretty content.

I believe quotas and selection over ones background is wrong, and I do believe that a job should be based on skills and demand, not based on obligations.
by PILMAN
Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Spencer (Xbox) talks about Shenmue 3

Honestly, I am not all that surprised.

I also speak as a former Xbox fan, I had the original Xbox at launch in 2001, and I recall the controversy over Microsoft developing a console and some of the comments that it was simply a PC and that gamers wanted a console, regardless, I took the dive. While some of the launch titles were nice, the Xbox always lacked what the ps2 had in regards to third party games and even exclusives, but innovation and the customer base was pushing for the controversial broadband only online gaming, something of course dreamcast had the capability to do with online gaming as well. The only exception was I was glad the Xbox had some nice fighting games as well as shenmue 2 at the time, and without the Xbox, I would not have had the opportunity to try shenmue 2, but it would be foolish to not realize how much damage it actually did to shenmue and why shenmue 3 may have never seen the day because of Microsoft.

We all know that Peter Moore jumped ship and pretty much killed the dreamcast, obviously shenmue had a rocky start having to go from the sega Saturn practically complete and then developed for the dreamcast, by the time shenmue 2 was released, Peter Moore pretty much canceled the game from coming out to the U.S. And we had to wait an entire year for it to come to Xbox splitting the fanbase, on top of that, Microsoft was supposed to market shenmue 2 at the time. I do remember a trailer on Xboxs website at the time and I do remember in official Xbox magazine there was a small demo of qte action, but outside of that, most of the Xbox gamer base either wasn't interested in shenmue, or there was barely any marketing or information about the game, it was just kind of thrown out there with no real exposure to the degree halo or some other top aaa game was given exposure, shenmue never got the respect it deserved from Microsoft and it probably didn't help that most Xbox gamers had not played the original game.

Most of the Xbox fanbase at that time was primarily into halo, or mech assault or some other Xbox live title, ninja gaiden, or the various fighter and sports games, that was the direction Microsoft was headed while Sony was more focused on the gta series, resident evil and silent hill, RPGs, racing games, simulators, etc. even many of the nice looking games that were exclusive to Japan for Xbox never came over to the U.S. All in attempt for Microsoft to win over the Japanese market.

The very fact is that there is little to no surprise that Microsoft probably secured the title to prevent anyone else from getting it as Sony was securing deals with all the exlusives at the time.

By the time the Xbox 360 came out, it was a clear that they were attempting to shift into a primary role of online gaming, fps and sports games. Even the Xbox live community represents the gamer base that they don't respect the general single player games or story driven games, it exists but it is practically in the lower tier. You can see this on any gaming forum be it gamefaqs or gamespot and the lack of respect for a game like shenmue.

I stopped supporting Xbox after my gamer tag was stolen and Microsoft literally did nothing about it despite the fact my security information was breached and a call center agent provided information on my account without proper authentication, and the general business practices of my Xbox 360 falling out of warranty thanks to the poor quality printed circuit boards and solder on the first batch of Xbox 360s.

Honestly, I am glad that Microsoft is not getting the game, it sucks for the fans, but the amount of damage that was caused, the lack of marketing, the wait we had to endure to get the game, and the lack of respect from the general fanbase, I really believe that it was the right decision as shenmue should be enjoyed by gamers who appreciate the series and I am sure the Sony and PC market will appreciate such a rich game moreso than the general Xbox fanbase. This is nothing against Xbox gamers, but if you know the history, then you will understand why we have been waiting as long as we have. Perhaps if shenmue 2 had been released in the U.S. For dreamcast, it would have been a different story.
by PILMAN
Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Had a question for mr Yu Suzuki

"In shenhua a house, there is a painting of some mountains in Guilin, shenhua mentions these mountains are dangerous and no one goes there anymore as they don't return, is there more details on what lies in these mountains?"
by PILMAN
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So, how many of you think that you’ve got a mental disor

I am diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, and it absolutely sucks. I know that depending on who you ask, OCD is classified as either a biological or mental disorder, but it's controversial if the cause of it is genetic or from some sort of brain damage from something like TBI or a infection and simply an offset of something else. It is nothing like what the media or people think it is, essentially it's intrusive thoughts they keep repeating themselves repetitively that somethings wrong when there's nothing wrong, and creates doubt about well..everything. Fortunately, I have had it under control for quite some time now, but lack of sleep definitely will trigger it. Also have anxiety =/

My father had bipolar disorder and killed himself when I was 17, so that does run in the family as well unfortunately.
by PILMAN
Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Some of the negative reactions were quite overboard.

I alpha tested Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the first thing that was focused on was the city layout/environment, I remember the models being very dull with funky looking hair, really awkward blank expressions and stiff animation which is actually quite common since those models are used as placeholders. Yes, Shenmue III could have had a warning that it was still in development and a work in progress, but I think some people fail to understand what development stage is. I was quite satisfied with the teaser.
by PILMAN
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

That's my last post ever on this site. Goodbye.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/33ac1d3d429cda1835eca2992d0f9c88/tenor.gif

Digitalduck provided a great reference and that anonymous guy just stormed out after being provided evidence countering his argument...well...good riddance I suppose?

:D
by PILMAN
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Dojo - past, present and future.

I appreciate all the work you have done for this site Peter.

I remember you from the very early days here, and it's difficult to comprehend the amount of patience, time, and how much we have evolved as a community.

Just to think that we did not have many of the resources we have today, no youtube, no wikipedia, I believe it was Miles Prowers website where I obtained most of my information on the various characters in Shenmue.

I hope that you decide to archive the old forums, I really enjoy reading through some of the old posts and looking at the timeline history to how much we have achieved.
by PILMAN
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Father in law painting Ryo and Shenhua *UPDATE 07/26/2018

This is an update work in progress by my father in law

*7/26 shenhuas clothing painted, still in progress :)

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37807656_10156533088719803_801679165039312896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=194c4251893a46482def143abf423d66&oe=5BD5A107

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37638168_10156525998554803_4539934427924398080_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=48b2413f1e34984fa3e2e8db33948950&oe=5BD8A5CD

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37059009_10156502395739803_7537944909043466240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=89f72d5af59b7e28d4dd8064260e4bc3&oe=5BA2DDDB
by PILMAN
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue Figures Update

So at the end of 2015, there was a little announcement about World Box creating some 1:6 scale Shenmue action figures. Not much was known at the time and not much is still known now, but there was this tweet posted yesterday showing off a cool looking Chai prototype and a bust of Dou Niu.

https://twitter.com/kamaitaP/status/1019221877267488769

The tweet reads -

WFの版権許諾を頂いたアイテムのサンプルが完成しました。
今回は一章 横須賀より人間離れしたアイツ、チャイです。
あと、斗牛様胸像も再販で少し持っていきます。
ディーラー名「にく日記」にて頒布します。
#wf2018s #シェンムー

Translated (via Google Translate) -

A sample of the item with the copyright permission of WF has been completed.
This is chai, a chapter away from Yokosuka Man.
Also, I will take a little bit by resale of the bust Doo cow.
I distribute it by the dealer name "invulnerable Diary". #wf2018s #シェンムー

https://i.imgur.com/BL19EZb.png

https://i.imgur.com/aEG6EPU.png

https://i.imgur.com/7bKkRiU.png

Now i'm not 100% if these are still the same company, World Box...the tweet says WF, which could stand for Worldbox Figures...if Worldbox is one word? Anyone got any clarifying information on this?

Will keep an eye out on any updates of these figures and update the topic as news unfolds, feel free to add anything you find aswell :)

on WB website they mark the models as WB. I notice on twitter the user is using WF so i am wondering if the company uses different model numbers internationally, its not very clear may wany to check domain registrars and see what the company is registered as or what that twitter is tied to.

wf stands for wonder festival appears to be a convention?

http://whl4u.jp/wh27/gallery/en/#/
by PILMAN
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Just can't help but feel what a missed oppertunity this was. I mean how much would it have taken to actually spend some time on the game and update the graphics? It looks old, probably will play old too and because of that, there is probably a bunch of potential fans that won't bother with the game.

You are entitled to your opinion but consider this..

Many cases rereleasing games as HD reboots have failed.

The first special edition monkey island had a lot of criticism for voice acting and graphical decisions that took away from the original monkey island feel.

Silent Hill rereleases were also controversial to the originals.

Gabriel Knight rerelease, many fans including new players prefer the originals

I can go on, realize the situation here..

1) Shenmue 1 was exclusive to Dreamcast and out of print for some time now, the GDroms will eventually fail. for new players, at some point Dreamcast hardware will dry up.

2) Shenmue II was never released in the US for Dreamcast outside of PAL versions imported, Shenmue IIx was released for xbox but also out of print now, the xbox 360 emulator doesnt load everything properly which also hinders and makes it difficult to obtain the game.

3) Realize that we had literally no news about Shenmue continuing let alone a re release spanning from 2002 to 2015 for shenmue III and a remastered rerelease in 2018. If you date back shenmue 1s release date in 99 thats almost 20 years that have lapsed from the first game. Understand that fans had been pushing for continuations and releases for roughly over a decade.

4)We are getting both games at a cheap price with both Japanese and English dubs and 1080p support. As much as I would love a remaster, I highly doubt SEGA would take the risk on a full retextured game. If sales are good for the game, then perhaps that will send a message that there is demand for a remake of the games similar to what occurred with Yakuza.
by PILMAN
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by PILMAN
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Jump to topic

Re: Data Discs Repress - Shenmue Soundtrack Vinyl

got mine in the mail today

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37890720_10156534485954803_752938845372153856_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2e0f104274438f67ba6e2f43e24fea44&oe=5BDAFC71

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37828444_10156534486159803_8492789754683719680_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=aa047df91f11349da1f271161cc1432f&oe=5C0C398D

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37861344_10156534486429803_2321469938482544640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=080f641224004d45f29ee71cceb08342&oe=5BDC2A8F

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/37831904_10156534500234803_625501135565750272_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=07b4a20815cc1b69f3306301206ba2cc&oe=5C0BFCB3
by PILMAN
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic