Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Xiuying's name kind of appropriately sounds like "Schwing!" from Wayne's World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTqUEhWYsI
by Tomato Convenience Store
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10

I would love this feature if we were getting a fully funded Shenmue III (or at the very least, something much more simplified/small scale). I think you're underestimating how much work has to be done to do this, though. First off, Ryo is really the only character in the game with a fully realized move-set. You'd have to multiply that by how many other characters will appear in the game, plus make the move-sets and fighting style unique. Then you're talking about a lot of modeling and animation work, and the fact they have to make an entirely new fighting system anyways. It's pretty much asking to make an entire fighting game, in addition to Shenmue III. Additionally, the fighting game genre is competitive and there's no margin for error, so that means that you'd need to invest in a lot of money into this feature.

I did like the ability to replay boss fights from Shenmue II with additional challenges, so I hope something like that can return and maybe be more fleshed out.
Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

As for cheap - well, yes it is mate... That's why we have a Kickstarter!

Then why was that video necessary? Who was it for?

DBZ fans who think that maybe Shenhua was going Super Saiyan? Final Fantasy fans? Or Shenmue fans?

I don't get it at all.

Saying that I'm expecting too much is wrong because I wasn't expecting anything at all. I had literally zero expectations for a new video and was let down.

Oh yeah, man. Shenhua having magic powers is totally new and it could not ever appeal to any Shenmue fan ever.

There's especially not a part in the second game where she literally blows Dandelion seeds with her ki.

Haha, I was just about to post how much the new trailer reminded me of that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXOHxuzvZ7A&t=1m0s
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

I'm going to be paraphrasing because I won't be able to look for video footage of this, but I remember if you get through the conversations with Shenhua after the dandelion scene, Ryo says something along the lines of "when I used to play with the dandelions, I would pick them up and blow on them". Then Shenhua was like "what do you mean? Why do you need to do that?", implying that she did just will the dandelions to fly.

And I think Ryo's WTF reaction during the scene itself is a bit of a giveaway as well.

EDIT: Found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMkz3asRQpQ&t=3m42s
Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Applause for YSnet for their Kickstarter Effort and Work

I think the main thing we learned about kickstarter is people (or should I say "the average person") really just want to buy cool shit and get good value for what they pay for. I don't think a more masterful campaign and better social media presence would have made a huge difference. I believe the turnaround for the campaign was the inclusion of the PS4 physical copy.
Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What amount would you be really happy at?

Obviously I would be happy if it 10 million. The reality is I'm glad its at what its at. I really just wanted it to beat bloodstained to atleast show how important it is to the fans. I think its going to be over 6 million. They've said they have outside funds from the kickstarter so I think we get the game that Yu Suzuki envisions.

Plus, I think the success of the kickstarter can open up the possibility of receiving additional funding and/or additional investors.
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic