Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: Yu Suzuki revisits Shenmue at GDC 2014 (Postmortem)

Logging into this site again in the first time in many years...even though this will more than likely be just a retrospective i can't help but feel there will be some kind of Shenmue related announcement.

With Yu having an interview with David Cage,being apparently some what close to mark Cerny,shenmue being at the top of the list of the most wanted retro releases on PS and being printed in the official playstation magazine and now this GDC deal solely based on Shenmue with mark,how could anyone blame any die hard shenmue fan to have some hope.

There hasn't been this many things come together and give us hope like this since what a decade?

I always had a feeling something would happen around the 15th anniversary of shenmue and i would take a shot at saying something shenmue related will be released to mark that occasion in fall '14.

I do think that there must be some people in the industry who were fans of shenmue and would generally like to see shenmue be concluded.

The best case scenario i think would be if they just released a single game as shenmue and condense as much of the story in one game with the amount of time and money that would be available and let us have the conclusion already,i can't see them releasing shenmue in multiple installments like yu originally visioned.So just get it out there in one go.
by blacktorn
Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

I think now is the best time, I mean, there is absolutely no point in giving a Shenmue postmortem 13 odd years after the game's release, because in all honesty, who's going to give a shit (apart from the fans of course) ?

Exactly, the answer says it all, the fans are the only one's who will be interested in this scenario, so to give us this postmortem or whatever is pointless unless something new is in the works, if Shenmue is to have been discontinued then let it be ffs, just don't give a 1 hour speech with a PS4 game producer called Mark and getting people's hopes up for fuck all basically.

so I'll tell you this, if the outcome of this build up of excitement leads to nothing, then they can all go and fuck themselves really and truthfully, if on the other hand we do get what we're after, then horray, well done, get on with it and do a smashing job.

They didn't just arrange this for a shenmue event for this years GDC,The classic game postmortem is an established event at GDC and they have been doing these for years,according to the website this year there is also a postmortem of Zork and Robotron 2084,you could say the same thing,why do a Zork postmortem after all these years if there isn't going to be a squeal?

GDC is about developers learning and sharing about the creation of games,this year they decided to include shenmue,it has as much to do with announcing a squeal as much as you would expect a squeal to zork.

Don't get me wrong,people who have grown up with shenmue as apart of there lives wish and hope that for some reason at this event it's going to lead to the expansion of the shenmue saga,but we have to put these GDC postmortems in perspective,there is a high probability that this is all going to lead nowhere and Yu is just going to discuss the development of shenmue for the dreamcast,which in itself will be interested i guess...
by blacktorn
Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

I remember the old days (prior to the actual Shenmue 3 announcement) when many Shenmue fans were saying that they will even sell their kidneys, or if they win the lottery they will donate all those money, in case Shenmue 3 ever gets a crowdfunding campaign... Ah, those were the good days, haha. :P

Now many of them howl with ethics/morality concern trolling, just because Ys Net Inc. decided to give another chance to pledge, for many fans who could not back Shenmue 3's Kickstarter. Drama, cynicism et cetera, are like a pandemia nowadays in the social media.

http://i.imgur.com/lsNdvCE.png

...What so your condoning fans selling their kidneys now???....wow

I'm not saying it's wrong to back the project but our emotions/nostalgia for things can get the better of us and makes us more vulnerable of giving more than we can really afford.

I remember reading some people would max out credit cards to fund this...now that is stupid as ****
by blacktorn
Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

I don't see it as that big of an issue, tbh. I didn't max out my credit card, but I gave what I was willing to give and what I could afford. Now that might be $100 for one person and $10,000 for another. As long as you are able to repay the spendings on your credit card, I guess it's fine.

I had made plans to buy a new phone in September which is not gonna happen now because of Shenmue 3 and I'll have to put off my new phone plans for the time being. But that's fine with me. It was worth it to me. So if others want to max out their credit cards or bank accounts I don't think it's "stupid" to do so. It's their own money and it's not an emotional decision imho. Those people had an entire month to think their Kickstarter contribution over and could have bailed out at any time.

Also, I do agree with you on the fact that it's "sad", Yu has to ask the fans for money to fund S3, but "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Shenmue 3 has been put on halt for 14 years, Sega don't want to finance it which is understandable. Now Yu has been trying fo find an outside investor for many years, which was not successful, so I guess Kickstarter and Paypal was the only way it could have been done.

So this is exactly what i'm talking about...i don't know how much you donated personally but i'm not sure how you can say maxing out credit cards or donating $1000's isn't an emotional decision when it isn't exactly an investment that you can expect any return on...you are literally giving away money because you/we are desperate to see the continuation of our favorite game series...and for that YU doesn't deserve our =D>

I'm not against the entire idea of kickstarter or having pseudo pre-order's to guarantee demand for a title before they spend millions and years developing something,but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:
by blacktorn
Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic