Search found 200 matches

Return

Re: Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

ShenmueTree wrote: Maybe we should have asked for him to hold up a note to prove that it was truly him in that photo?

In any case, guy is gone in the wind.

Put a shoe on your head!
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

That guy must lick escalator handrails to pull that with us. How heartbroken can we be after that already happenned to us 47587394579347 times? Still... MAN THE MACHINE GUNS!
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have you given up or still hopeful?

I got less and less hopeful over the years. Not saying it's impoossible but at least very unlikely. I think even the trolls have given up. Ages since i last read someone being like "OMG, I WORK AT SEGA AND PLAYED SHENMUE 3!".
by Master Kyodai
Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chungking Mansions

There's a good Wong Kar Wai Movie called "Chungking mansion". In the WKW Flic "Fallen Angels" the father of the mute guy is also working in chungking mansions. I recommend both movies if ya wanna get a glimpse of what it's like.
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Bicycle Mod Project by James Reiner (Progress Vi

Personally i think the Bike mod might even be easier than we suppose. Probably just a line commented out in 1st_read.bin or so. The old whats Shenmue one might be the be the best bet since it is the oldest one. I don't think they did rocket science to take it out. there's so much unused stuff in the files and some NPC ride a bike as well. the timeline between that old VHS video demo where Ryo rides a bike and the whats Shenmue Demo is not too long... Anyways, I think there's several approaches to this, not sure which one would be the easiest. Hardest part is understanding stuff like 1st_read.bin and such, but once you edited it successfully you can prolly stremline the process so you try out mods at a pace like sausages get processed in a hot dog factory...
by Master Kyodai
Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lan Di Real time Ray tracer

Well this just came out of boredom. Was playing a bit with Mr. Bikkers Real Time Raytracing engine. Pretty useless but for me it was fun to toy around with it.

W,A,S,D -->Move around
R,F --> Up and down
Cursor keys --> Turn camera

The Raytracing is really slow compared to the GPU based engines. SO to get a good picture you have to stand still for a while...

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1376032499.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1376382987.zip

Version 1.1:

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1376417638.zip

Ver 1.2 - Now 2 exe: One with Depth of Field and one without it.

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1376524144.zip
by Master Kyodai
Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan Di Real time Ray tracer

OK, new Version that includes all debug dlls and manifest files. AT least this one worked on my test machine.

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1376382987.zip
by Master Kyodai
Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan Di Real time Ray tracer

Well yeah i guess it won't qualify as a "game engine". The whole gag here is that it is not a typical DirectX 3D engine based on Transform and Lighting but rather a real raytracing that accurately traces every single ray of light to give physically accurate reflections and shadows. More of a toy than anything else. Think of it as "3D Studio max for homeless people".
by Master Kyodai
Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Diary update:

Found another place where absolutely no sailors hang around. I get a feeling they just hide from me.

by Master Kyodai
Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

WHAT, YOU LEFT MANCHESTER??? LIES!!!

Lol, just kidding.

Well the article, neither discouraging nor encouraging i guess. Maybe we are indeed a little bit closer to Shenmue 3. Feels better than being closer to Shenmue Online or Shenmue Gai 2... Well after over a decade i guess the only article that could really make us drool would be a Preview or at least a HD remake of the first 2 games... I guess we've all just had way too many encouraging articles over the past 12 years.
by Master Kyodai
Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not sure if the memory address changes are the best approach. I would probably try finding the references in the files and hex edit these. That way the hack can also be distributed easily and should be much more stable.

I might be wrong but i believe that pretty much all bike motions are in SCENE\01\FREE\M_BIKE.BIN... If you look at the first 1024 bytes it already gives the descriptors for the content. So "AKI" is actually Ryo. You can see references to the motorcycle motions - i think "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" for example is a 180 degree turn on the motorcycle. What is interesting is that there is also a "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA"... Well if you don't speak Japanese that doesn't mean much but "Jitensha" means "bicycle", like one without an engine.

My memory is foggy, but i think Ryo pulls the 180 degree turn when he has to race the motorcycle to get Nozomi, right?
Since the beginning of that file is kinda index i guess it would be suitable to just swap "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" and "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA" and see if Ryo suddenly does the 180 degree turn on a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. AT least taht's what i would try first since it's easy to pull off - maybe 20 minutes of work, it won't affect the file size and thus be pretty safe and it would shed some light on these motion files. A second step would be to swap all motorcycle related ones with bicycle ones and see what will come out.

Another thing to look into would be the M_FREE.BIN in the same dir. These are the normal motions - like "AKI_AKI_SUWARU" (Ryo Sit). Obviously there must be some reference to these, prolly in the scene file scripts or main binary. Swapping these references successfully would mean you could make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting.

The 1st_read.bin also holds many interesting things - since it is kinda "main exe" for Shenmue loads of manipulation can be done here. You did a good job at editing the beta disc, so take a look at its 1st_read...

If you search a bit you can find a line starting with "NL_POINTXZ BikeRoot%02d[]"...

A few lines above that is something like "NL_POINT3 Root%02d[]=", why not try swapping that, so it will be "NL_POINT3 BikeRoot%02d[]=" and "NL_POINTXZ Root%02d[]", see what happens? ALso around that area in the 1st_read you will see more interesting stuff... "JUMP CHARA(Now Dead)", so obviously they originally had jumping in the game as well...

Also search for "Mo_InitBikePos" a few lines under that spot. Maybe you can swap "Mo_ExecSit" with "Mo_InitBikePos" to make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting here...

I think there are still a few things left to try out with hex editing and it is probably easier than memory juggling.

MOTION.BIN in the MOTION directory might also be a place to try some edits. Try swapping "AKI_AKI_PUSH_DOOR" and "AKI_AKI_PULL_DOOR", can you make Ryo pushing doors instead of pulling them? Might look funny... But easy testing to see what you can get done here...

Another very interesting find:

compare MISC\CM_D000.BIN and SCENE\01\D000\CYCLEMAN.BIN - same size. Same file? Nearly i would say. Maybe swapping these two would be worth a shot?

D000\MPK00.PKS also seems interesting, if you search for "BIKE" it reveals some QTE motions...

M_FREE.BIN might also be worth taking a look at. Try swapping "AKI_ORIRU_FORKLIFT_F" and "AKI_AKI_BIKE3_LP" ?
by Master Kyodai
Tue May 06, 2014 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Forklift Mod - Solution Inside

If you wanna see the references mapinfo.bin uses then just search for the keyword "/scene/" in the file. There you should come up with something like "/scene/03/D000/" if it uses data from Dobuita map for example.

The mapinfo is not really cleartext as you noticed so it is much speculation to talk about the structure of the file. From my understanding the top part defines the placement of models in the scene (But I am guessing here) and around the bottom there is "scene initialization" data, like "Which music track is played?", which seqdata files are laoded (Scripting for scene events!!!), where is ryo placed when he enters the scene, and so on.

On the first look the PKS/PKF files look a bit uninteresting since they are merely a better "zip file", most just contain models for the scene. However, some also contain the important sequence (Scene scripting) files which control most scripted behaviour, these will definitely also be worth looking into.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Definitely looking forward to any updates. I am sure even that even if you don't succeed immediately you will find out interesting stuff to tweak or hack if you keep going. Keep up the good work!
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Selling/buying thread ??

This just ain't ebay. I mean if it's some really rare collectables related to Shenmue i guess you could interest people here. The big problem is that when you start to allow selling stuff here on a big scale then sooner or later you have some scammers on board that just run away with your money and there is no way Yama could compensate you and we hate having people whining around here. So if you just wanna sell random console games or stuff then it's probably best to just put them on ebay or so. That way you will also have much more people seeing what you have to offer and thus a way better chance of getting it sold.
by Master Kyodai
Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A korean fan remastering Shenmue I locations.

Actually the voice acting in the Japanese Version is really good. Some stuff is also hard to translate and sounds a bit dumb in English. For example Ryo's "So desu ka?" is translated as "Is that so?" in English which is nominally the correct translation, but sounds a bit weird in English. There are some other aspects of the voice acting which are really great in japanese, for example Ine-San who really talks like a polite old woman, but in the English language there simply is no difference between a male and a female person speaking while in Japanese - traditionally - there are loads of words and idioms that are used by female speakers that would not be used by a male speaker. Loads of stuff like this got lost in the translation. If you speak proper Japanese you will agree that the Japanese language voice acting is much better than the "dull" English translation. Some stuff like Setsu Abe's "Ryo-Kun" being translated as "Baby Ryo" is at least kinda funny in English, but also far from being extremely precise - "kun" does not really equal to "baby", it is rather used for (male) youngsters in Japanese, a baby would rather be "chan". In the Japanese House of Representatives the house president calls the representatives "-kun" - so you guess that "baby" is maybe not a perfect translation.

Another problem is that the Japanese voice actors are often treated like "Super stars", just take the Ryo and Ren voice actors, there was a video series of them, they gave loads of autographs and the guy who voiced Ryo has his own cafe in Akihabara and even today is often asked for autographs and such. In other countries it is rather rare that anyone could name a voice actor from a computer game. Corey Marshal is sure an exception to the rule, but even for Shenmue pretty much the only one... That also means that the voice acting job is taken with a different approach outside of Japan and rather regarded "Not so important"...

There are loads of other problems that occur when translating Japanese to English, so imho it is not just "bad" voice actors but a rather difficult to translate text that thus is also very difficult for voice actors. I'd claim that if the translators and the voice actors had a much better understanding of the Japanese culture and language then the result would be much better.
by Master Kyodai
Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Contributors For Shenmue Doc

I would definitely contribute, but I'd prefer to be filmed from an interview standpoint, not a head on camera shot. Thats what I would advise people to do when making Shenmue documentaries because people talking into the camera makes a bit uncomfortable for me to watch and also less professional. Just my opinion though.

I guess he won't realistically send a reporter to Ireland to interview you for 3 minutes. Even though that would be cool i guess he's rather on a tight budget. But maybe you can have a friend or relative play the "reporter", just think of some questions, give it to them and answer accordingly.
by Master Kyodai
Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenhua is a ghost

Let me add to this about as I mulled this over a bit more tonight. When Ryo gets off the boat and talks to people in that very small village, there are people walking the trail which Ryo starts trekking on. When the weather all of a sudden goes from blue skies to thunderstorm and Ryo goes into the river and eventually blacks out, he then wakes up to find Shenhua and the goat, but the most interesting thing which may completely go over our heads is that since that point, nobody else is seen on all those trails, not one other person passing through.... In fact the whole rest of the game you see not a soul other than Shenhua. Maybe he's not dead per se, I doubt that given what we know that happens after of what has been disclosed. However, maybe all of that was sort of an alternate universe kind of like in Sonic Adventure, or even a dream? It did seem way too magical at the end compared to the theme of the entire game from Chapter One. Maybe after the cave Shenhua sort of dissappears, at least for a time and Ryo goes back to the home to find it's in a state of disrepair as nobody could have lived in there for years. However Shenhua's spirit guided Ryo to Guilin as the Phoenix is the spirit that protects life.

Now i got it! Ryo is a ghost! He drowned when he tried to rescue Shenhua and the goat.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Former Founder - Looking to get account reactivated

Good to see a veteran member being back. You sure missed loads of drama here... XD
by Master Kyodai
Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

So much unused stuff. Really nice video, James, feels a bit like David letterman with a special guest - just that the special guest is Shenmue 2... =)

Also loads of unused sounds, music, ambient tracks and such. Ziming did an excessive cataloguing of the music tracks.

Personally i also like some ideas that "disappeared" due to time and money limitations, but in "What's Shenmue" you can still find an example of the original idea of what I'd call "Adaptive music" in English. The main FREE track exists in 3 versions and as far as i know it was originally intended to become more agressive the closer you get to your current goal, like it starts with light drums and the theme changes to moderate and then extreme drums in that musical piece to make the pace more intense. Some concepts like these were brilliant and even though they were dropped the game itself is still intense. But good to know they were there...
by Master Kyodai
Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

First time i ever rendered Yuan...

by Master Kyodai
Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Gonna be back in Japan in 6 weeks. Will spend a few days in Nikko, the wife got us a hotel near the Ninja theme park (Edo Wonderland). Gah, i never get old. Wish our daughter was old enough already to throw a few shurikens and discover sunken bamboo forests with me. Well soon i hope...
by Master Kyodai
Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Chawan Sign

If you do a reversed Chawan sign at Blue sky beer garden some biker gang will come and beat you up with chains.

Just kidding, i always hoped they would have added some cool easter eggs for it, but unfortunately the few mentioned cutscenes are all you can get.
by Master Kyodai
Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A proposed shenmue meetup

Ah a meetup in the UK? How uncool. How about meeting in Yokosuka? I got some spare time around the beginning of June... ^^
by Master Kyodai
Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guilin. Go big or go home.

I don't have the time or the money now, but I'd be down for a Shenmue Tour 2016 or 2017. Dobuita, Yokohama, Aberdeen, Kowloon, Guilin... Something I've been meaning to do for years, there were those guys who did that documentary recently, right?

BTW - Dobuita is part of Yokosuka, not Yokohama. Yokohama is also nice though, my wife is from Yokohama, Tsurumi to be precise. My mother-in-law still lives there. The area reminds me a bit of "Always - sunset on third street". I always call it "San Chome" because of the movie.

You might be a bit disappointed by Hong Kong if you expect it to be like in Shenmue. No gambling or arm wrestling on the streets and the "kowloon" from Shenmue was more like a pun on the Kowloon walled city which doesn't exist any more. Mostly just modern skyscrapers, dense traffic, modern stores and such. Not that kinda run-down city feeling you have in Shenmue 2, Kong Kong these days looks more like Shibuya or Shinjuku then what you see in Shenmue 2. And Guilin... beautiful, but soooo huge.You can still take a river cruise on the Li River and see these green peak alike mountains, visit one of the many caves (No floating swords there though!!!) and catch some of that feeling, but don't be fooled - Guilin is a city of 5 million people. Not the flair of New York or so, but you get that it is not a Village. You can find Villages of only a few dozen houses, but these days i think even the most remote ones are with satellite TV, fridges and Playstations, so not that romantic flair from Shenmue 2.
by Master Kyodai
Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My wifes best friend lives in Yokosuka. It's been a while since i have been there... 3 years? Or 4 years? She lives in that small residential area on a hill that immediately lets you think of Sakuragaoka.

To say it with the words of Hunter Thompson:

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Yokosuka and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Not saying that Hong Kong or Guilin are not interesting places, but when i think of Shenmue then i always have drink vending machines, small run-down arcades and convenience stores in Yokosuka in mind. But yeah, prolly hard to understand the fascination unless you've been there.

Seriously - noone in yokosuka in june? But yeah even if you were you'd prolly bail out like AXM. Was funny though, i was in Tokyo and phoned him from a public phone booth and when he answered the phone i just said "Father's heaven" and he hung up. guess he didn't get it... I thought it was funny. Well i guess he was busy with other stuff.
by Master Kyodai
Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I Mod: The REAL Bad Ending

Wow, i totally missed this one. Simply brilliant. Bricks were shat.
by Master Kyodai
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

I'm still here, just very quiet. I'll check this place out maybe once a month. These days I seldom play video games though I have a PS4 and an Xbox One. I use my PS3 as a video streaming device for my bedroom. I mostly go on nature walks these days, drive my diesel VW Passat, stream netflix, watch Top Gear (or should I say reminisce given recent developments). Try to crack the biggest anomaly known to man, women. Do DIY projects to my condo. Try to attempt cooking. Serve as president of a rotary club, vp of a brokerage firm, member of a couple chamber of commerce's. Play with my dog. Take a train into NYC occasionally and just wander around Manhattan. I guess that sums it up really, the phase of life of a 31 year old man looking forward to the next phase.

Do I care about Shenmue 3 at this point? Honestly?... A small amount. Games these days don't tickle me like they used to. I hate online gaming. I tried to get into it with GTA 5 online. Started that with the sounds of teen screaming and cursing on it and found myself being chased in the woods by a man with a chainsaw for a good 10 minutes and that was about it for me. The others seem to be intense shooters and I've become too subdued to get that wound up anymore. Sports games which I'm not really into. It's not like how it used to be. Liked Assasin's Creed Black Flag and Unity but the story lines didn't captivate me. Really liked Last of Us and wish there was more of that quality, but there isn't. Seems like most developers are interested in phone games than console games. Cheaper to make and greater customer base. I drove a jet ski off the gulf of mexico a few weeks ago and found that more fun than any video game I've played so I'd rather do that given the option. I guess I'm more looking for new things in my life. When I do play I could use some friends on them, so my gamertags are below. You are far more likely to see me on there than here. :mnky:

xboxone gamertag= jgkny
ps4 gamertag=jgk1020

OMG, a VW Passat, these are so common here in Germany. Didn't even know they were available in the U.S.

I actually drive a Ford Focus with all the extras that are available in Germany (Traffic Sign recognition, Lane keeping assist, Self parking and so on). hell I just wanted a car that is at least somewhat american even though it's assembled here in Germany.

Jet Ski is loads of fun. I always thought that when i retire i might talk the wife into moving to Ibiza, get a Jet Ski and an ATV. All you need.

I also rarely play games these days, but "Life is strange" got me out of hibernation recently. Rotary club... Hmmm i thought about getting into Lions club (I guess they are what rotary club is in the US) but i just lack the time. maybe when the kids are older. I'd like to do something good.
by Master Kyodai
Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BlueMue's Shenmue videos

Here's another silly mod. I had the basic idea to this floating around for a couple of weeks now and since James mentioned in his interview that I do mods I thought it was good timing to get this done. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/FTuHM284DLE

Getting Shenhua in Ryo's place is something new that I've been trying earlier. It's some sort of duplicate model that comes with a couple of bugs. It's the only compatible model to use as the players character so far. I tried other things with partial success but it's really nothing I'd call "showable".

Totally missed that one. "Father! Mother! Random old guy!" I laughed my ass off.
by Master Kyodai
Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First Stretch Goal Reached at $2.5m!

Ah, come on - 400,000 Dollars for subtitles? Well i guess we'll have to take them,eh? I mean I'm German, so honors me that German comes first on the List, but i could have lived well without them... Give us a playable Iwao Flashback instead where you have to kill Lan Di's father after he catches you stealing his mirror... XD
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Dang another 100 bucks from my credit card gone. But hell yeah - i couldn't go without a boxed PC version and the beta (I hope "trial" equals "beta"...).
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Shenmue 1 Moment?

I think my favorite moment is when you enter the Dojo basement and discover so much new stuff about your dad. Ryo never knew that secret passage. That was pretty cool. A bit like "national treasure" for Ryo...
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is why Shenmue 3 getting announced almost made me c

honestly - I would have been more excited in like 2003 or so? I guess getting older makes you slower. But yeah pledged and still cool to see wonders happen. #FriggingWondersStillHappen
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: All-Encompassing Kickstarter Records and Stretch Goals t

W00t - next stretch goal archieved - now we have FRENCh subtitles. Go ninja, go ninja, go!
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

They should have offered more dinners With Yu Suzuki.
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

I was around since the forumplanet days. this forum is soooo old, I was like 14 or 15 back then. now I'm 28
and I wish I could remember all the names and stuff that went down back then

I'm 37 now and still excited. I guess age doesn't help from being childish about game announcements. Well maybe it gets better when your're like 60+...
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

Hell yeah it will. Ryo and Shenhua control the Phoenix and epic end fight against the dragon from Lan Di. Phoenix wins. Shenmue Online trailer spoiled a lot, but i guess if that's the story then that's the story, right? Yu is never wrong...
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How did you spread the word?

twitter? E-Mail/ Phoning friends? Placing posters at the local mall?

I decided to make a youtube video about Shenmue 3. only around 1000 subscribers, but atm the best i could come up with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AfrfazhLQ

So how do you spread the word?
by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

And this is how Shenmue 3 answers:

by Master Kyodai
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Shenmue's announcement didn't live up to my hype.

I think too many people took the mockup video too serious. It was meant to show the engine and was prolly done with zero budget - and personally i think the engine looks pretty nice. After funding is done i guess we'll soon see more serious tech demos.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anyone else concerned that...

Shenmue III will contain Capsule Toy machines, so i guess it's not all just in a forrest if that was your concern.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

I have no idea how Blender works :/

But, I somehow did somthing "similar" with 3ds max.

From this.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/CompetentBrightGalago.webm

To this.

http://i.imgur.com/lEXTBqg.gif

With more time I could get something better, it is the first time I try something like this. ^^'

Totally missed that one! From now on i shall call you "Sensei" (Bows down). Uber cool! \:D/
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Kickstarter Estimation

It already surpassed Wasteland 2 which was not just a long anticipated and advertised game with a massive fan base but also one that was announced ages before fund raising even started. Shenmue 3 was pretty much a surprise and it did in hours what took Wasteland 2 (great game btw) over a month. So no good time for pessimists like me. And keep in mind that many people are on summer vacation right now and didn't even hear about it yet.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Ah quite a lot - got married, tried to immigrate to Japan (Without success), got a daughter, changed jobs, got a car license, two cars, visited Japan over 10 times, learned programming and so on. Not necessarily in that order, but yeah i guess that pretty much sums it up. And just got older.
What restricted you from moving over there? It's one place I have never visited and the revival of Shenmue makes me want to go even more again.

I guess mostly my lack of speaking proper japanese and having the required skills. After the big earthquake economy wasn't really great and besides some iOS, Java and C++ programmers there were barely any job opening available to foreigners at all. I mean if you speak like PERFECT Japanese you have better chances but for me it just wasn't enough. So in the end i just couldn't get any job that paid well enough, that's why we all settled down here in germany in the long run.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $15million or bust Kickstarter instead of waterdown game

15 million... I think that would have been highly unrealistic. The worlds most funded project ever was the Pebble time watch - around 20 million. But there you got a piece of hardware which was pretty much like the apple watch - just long before that - for 159 Dollars. And their funding goal was 500,000 Dollars. The highest goal ever - from waht i remember - was 2 million dollar for the veronica Mars movie.

2 million on kickstarter is already a lot - especially for a game. keep in mind that it has nearly zero production cost - so like 98% goes directly to development. For something like the pebble watch - even if you can produce it for like 80 bucks per piece in big quantities you already lose half of the money on production cost.

For a video game Shenmue is performing beyong all expectations already. keep in mind - it's 29 Dollars for the game, so even if a hundred thousand people would have spent that we would not have reached the 3 million yet.

that we reached like 3.2 million US from just 41,000 backers is already really a lot. For a game that hasn't even started development yet (the normal Joe can't even tell it's great yet) and for a game that is not released on Xbox, Mac OSX, Wii U or Linux at all.

15 million is just - a dreamers thing. highly unrealistic. We wanted Shenmue 3, not a crushed dream of Shenmue 3. So the way it's working out right now was perfect. That the kickstarter campaign has already broken many records on kickstarter is highly encouraging. Other games like Wasteland 2 got less money in a month then what Shenmue 3 got in 3 days and they made a wonderful game with a gigantic world, great voices, awesome quests, characters and stories and they did NOT have Yu Suzuki on board. So i got no doubts that Shenmue 3 will be great. maybe we won't get seperate footstep sound for every character, no horoscope and biography for every NPC, but honestly - who remembers the blood type of the tobacco lady from Shenmue 1 or how different Ine sans steps in the kitchen sounded from Ryos? We also don't need to make an engine from scratch that drives a brand new unknown console to its limits or awesome compression and file managemtn strategies for new media (GD-ROM). I think Yu will deliver a GREAT game with awesome graphics and the story we waited for. if we break the world record of funding for a video game on Kickstarter i think we can already be VERY happy. And at the moment it seems we are exactly on this way.
by Master Kyodai
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic