Search found more than 1671 matches

Return

Re: Hybrid (5th Cell FPS)

Don't care too many FPS period.

The exact same thing could be said about RPGs, point & clicks, and platformers depending on what time period you reference, and I doubt you'd be complaining about those.
As soon as I saw the term "FPS" in the topic title, somehow I knew the first post would be Ryudo putting it down. :lol:
by OL
Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

For those who have this game please share with the rest of us what you like about the game and hate about the game.

Thanks

I don't have it (yet; going to import the UK version), but I have played all of the preceding games in the series, and I can pretty much assure you that the graphics will seem below-par, and the control certainly isn't going to reach triple-A levels of fluidity. Acquire is a smaller, more independent dev studio, and as such their titles aren't usually the kind to wow anyone from a technical standpoint (not to mention the fact that WotS4 is already kind of old in Japan; it's a wonder that it's finally getting a domestic release after so much time has passed).
The appeal usually comes more from the concepts and atmosphere that they present. There aren't many other places you can find honest-to-goodness ninja stealth games anymore, or open-environment samurai adventure games. Their games present something different from the current norm, but you shouldn't expect them to have Uncharted-level production values or anything like that.

I would say $40 is far too much for a digital-only release (and one that's already more than a year old in Japan, at that). I'll probably pay even more than that for the physical UK copy myself, but that's just because I desperately want the game for my collection; I'm already a huge fan of the series, and I've wanted this since it was first announced.
by OL
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Something I'm interested in for the Vita. Looks pretty charming and fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ[/youtube]
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.
Congratulations! :D What type of ring did you end up going with?

Decided to go in a bit of a different direction than what I was planning before.
It's white gold with a natural opal in the middle, and two pink sapphires on either side of it. We don't care so much about what's traditional, so it didn't matter if it had diamonds or not.
I liked it because no matter what lighting it's in, the opal and pink sapphires make it look like it's glowing. She loved it.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Actually I skipped the DC idea. I was planning to do that, but went a little spur-of-the-moment instead. We were sitting in my front yard drinking wine and eating strawberries on a totally clear night, and it just felt like a better moment than anything I could have planned.

Not sure when the actual wedding will be, but we're thinking we should have a relatively long engagement. As in two or three years long. Just to let us get all settled in together, and let us both get a little further in our professional lives first. There's no rush, really. I think people dash into the actual marriage part too often, like it's just a party or something, forgetting that making a life with another person is a process more than anything else.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Sleeping Dogs

I remember true crime LA being huge but lacking content and too big for no reason, the combat was stiff as well and the last boss was a bitch to beat for no apparent reason, NY was kind of fun but far from gta, I liked being able to plant drugs on people and buy music and that though also I was pretty big in to hip hop at the time and it kind of had that vibe

^^Quoted for being on the last page.

I liked the first to an extent; it had some cool ideas, such as the total recreation of a number of miles of real Los Angeles streets, a branching story, and the inclusion of shooting, driving, and melee all in one game (still rare back then). It certainly wasn't great (and admittedly in some cases was pretty damn poor), but it had some nice, honest ideas and tried to be something interesting. I can respect games like that.
And it made good use of Deftones' "Minerva" for the final boss music. I liked that. :)
But True Crime: NY was just another "thug life" pile of nuts from the San Andreas era. It controlled a bit better than its predecessor, but it was just so goddamn uninspired, I couldn't finish it. I may try again someday, but... eh.

Sleeping Dogs clearly doesn't seem terrible. It's miles above either of the old TC games, obviously. I can tell that much from the demo.
But it still doesn't feel like anything I need to get right now . It'll be a good, cheap buy later on when I'm just in the mood for a throwaway action romp. I can confidently say it'll never be a favorite of mine, though. It's one of those cases where I just don't need to play the full game to know that.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lamewad Music

I keep thinking I ought to pick the guitar back up again. Got really into it a ways back, but sort of drifted away from it over time.
Good luck on your progress though. Seems like a good idea, being able to review yourself like that.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

^^Thank you.
He didn't cheat.
He's just refusing to take anymore drug tests, when he's passed all of the multitude of ones he's taken in the past. He's been hounded by this anti-doping group for months now -- post-retirement, no less -- and he just got so tired of their bullshit that he's refusing any more tests. When you accomplish things like he has and people still strive to find fault with your accomplishments, it can wear on you. I don't really blame him for finally just saying "fuck you" to this group and refusing any more of their harassment.
But it's still absolute crap that they're stripping him of everything he's achieved. I hated reading about this. Even more now that apparently people are jumping to the conclusion the he cheated, just based on these headlines.
by OL
Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Im Lance Armstrong and Ive won 0 Tour De France titles

An American winning the Tour de France over and over...
If any of its members are French, then it's not really as odd as one might initially think.
by OL
Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Watch Hesher.
The little kid in it is kind of annoying, but JGL is awesome as the title character. Hilarious performance.
by OL
Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

This one really sang out to me when I was playing the game yesterday. The traditional Japanese-inspired setting of the second world was great, with the music playing into that beautifully. And it just has that great level of melodiousness that was so common in old-school Japanese games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6bFDvzmeA
by OL
Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Games/Systems/Peripherals you recently bought

Been a little while since I posted in this topic, so I'll try to remember everything I've gotten since then...

http://oi47.tinypic.com/28l9np2.jpg http://oi47.tinypic.com/1zdxbp0.jpg
http://oi50.tinypic.com/291kzl1.jpg

Fatal Shadows was just a re-buy. Not sure why exactly. Guess I just saw a copy of one of my favorite PS2 games for 5 bucks and couldn't leave it behind.

And this one, I tried to pre-order from Amazon, but they didn't have the option available...
So I had to do Gamestop's site instead. Didn't want to miss this limited edition. One of the few times we're basically getting everything included in the Japanese LE, with nothing left out. Perfect for my SMT collection.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2upqz4i.jpg
by OL
Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone have a Vita?

Only problem is that you have to download them.
There are a lot of my PSP games that I'd like to see on the Vita's screen, but I'm not going to re-buy them all in digital form for it. I wish there were some way of transfering the game data off of a PSP UMD to the Vita...
by OL
Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

It was so overwrought with conventions, it amazes me that his films are as popular as they are.

It shouldn't. Most people don't look at movies from the more technical "film student's" point of view, obviously. Most people just watch a movie to forget the world and be entertained, and his movies are good at accomplishing exactly that.
And before you say that his movies aren't entertaining, keep in mind that entertainment is a subjective concept to begin with. Just because you don't find enjoyment in something doesn't mean that the majority of others can't.
Most people just don't take the subject of film as seriously as a film student would, so they aren't hung up on certain things as much.
by OL
Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman 3

^^All agreement on your points about Blake.

And I just have to say, the little tussle where he ricocheted the bullet off of the pipe and hit the guy holding him was awesome, in that kind of "laugh and exclaim 'oh shit!'" kind of way.
Totally shallow observation to make, I know, but it was completely kickass either way.
by OL
Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Metal Gear series

I'm just a bit disappointed since I used to think Kojima made each Metal Gear quite distinctive from one another, look at how different MGS1 (Alaska, underground bunkers, industrial settings, modern), MGS2 (Big Shell, oil rig, massive boat to explore, Arsenal Gear, slightly futuristic) and MGS3 (Jungle, enemy bases, 70s era) all are from one another.

I think, for the most part, that still applies. Peace Walker was just a re-tread of MGS3 territory with new mechanics to play around with, sure, but I think MGS4 certainly had its own identity. Maybe not in such obvious terms as being able to say "tanker/base/jungle", but it definitely felt very different from its predecessors, in the same way each of them felt different as they came out.
I think it's a little early to be saying that this one won't be distinctive, considering that we haven't actually seen footage from it yet. The one pic of Big Boss isn't much to go on. The information that he kills guys, rides a jeep, and crawls around could have basically been applied to any of the previous games as well.
by OL
Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: jak and daxter

^^I'm kind of excited for you. Jak 3 is my favorite one. You've got some awesome gameplay ahead of you.
by OL
Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Gaming Characters, Designs, and Artwork

Nemeroth from Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.
The armor design is just insane. And when he shows up, it gives the game this really sudden "hellish" vibe that it just didn't have before (being a far-future science fiction actioner and all). Just a very effective character design.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2dtp1t5.jpg
http://oi49.tinypic.com/34hub8g.jpg
by OL
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

Then why are you paying so much attention to it?
by OL
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

They'll both come out. They'll just be finished by Gearbox, and criticized for being behind the times. ;-)
by OL
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People thought MGS looked amazing visually then MGS2 was out of this world then MGS4 no way visuals can look like that. In 3-4 years it won't look so amazing to most. Some will complain like Elders Scrolls Oblivion looks too old. :P Truth be told I'm more impressed with Yakuza can pull off.
Nah, as graphics go, this stuff is incredible. Yakuza 5 looks fantastic, but little things like stiff clothing and obvious textures on the faces make it nowhere near this. I see none of those problems in this so far (from what little we've seen).
I agree people will eventually act like it's nothing special though. They always do that. It's ridiculous, but it always makes me think of Back to the Future 2, when Marty tries showing off his skillz on the arcade machine in the diner.
"You mean you have to use your hands? It's like a baby's toy!"
Most people will always have that ridiculous sense of "it's not good enough" when it comes to things they consider "old" or "outdated".

Anyway, I like that the majority of the trailer was just a big way of showing off how much more expansive the game will be than previous titles were. One single, continuous camera shot from the prison camp, to the helipad, up into the air, down to a cliffside, and back up onto solid ground. Granted, it was all in a cinematic, but the implication is still obvious: this game is going to be really damn big for an MGS game.
Only thing I don't like is how anachronistic the technology is. It's, what... late-70's? Early 80's? And Big Boss has got a holographic handheld map display?
That's just too much, considering that in the original Metal Gear games (taking place in the 90s), Snake was restricted to a simple radio and standard supplies. With a setting in the past, you'd think it would be more interesting to take advantage of technology that would have been viable around that time, like how MGS3 did it.
Regardless, like Henry said, it does feel slightly like how it did when I first saw trailers for MGS2. Shock and awe at the graphical tech, but also a huge desire to see more of the game itself.
Looking forward to it.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dunno, Kojima isn't usually the type to mock up fake graphics for his games. He tends to like showing off what will really be done when you get the game. It was unbelievable to see MGS2 for the first time running on a PS2, but it was real. Same for MGS3 and 4. This may have been PC-assisted in some way, but I don't think he's necessarily just bullshitting us with it. He likes to show off, and then prove it all with the final product.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite Anime Opening/Ending Songs

Keep in mind, very few of my posts on this subject would be based on actual quality, but rather nostalgia and dorky excitement. Not like I would put most of these on my MP3 player or anything, necessarily (with some exceptions).
J-pop ain't typically my thing unless it evokes fond memories.
That said, I'll skip the downright obvious ones for now (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shel: SAC), and mention some that might not get a nod otherwise.

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsoqf_5k4TQ
Strange that I'm nostalgic about it, considering it was always cut out of the broadcast when it used to come on Cartoon Network. I think my fondness must come from later on, when I started watching the show on DVD, and also the chiptunes version of it from the SNES game (which I used to play on an emulator waaaay back in the day).

Deathnote ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m09Mmvq4obk
Now this one I actually DO have on my MP3 player. In fact, I haven't even seen the anime version of Deathnote. I just love this band (Maximum the Hormone), so this is easily one of my favorite anime endings.
by OL
Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Just beat Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, and I'm actually kind of floored by how good it turned out to be.
Like I said before, I expected it to be little more than a sort of "B-grade" shooter.Never heard any hype for it whatsoever. I played the demo before and liked it well enough, but still wasn't convinced that it would leave any kind of impression.
The game is actually very much a hybrid shooter/beat-em-up, a bit like Dead to Rights: Retribution in a way. But rather than being a cover shooter, this one is strictly run-n-gun. And instead of the melee combat feeling like something along the lines of Godhand, it's much closer to something like Dynasty Warriors, pitting you against large hordes of enemies all at once. And it all flows together seemlessly, just about as smoothly as a hybrid of this kind could ever feel.
One thing I love about the melee combat is the process of performing executions on enemies to regain health. Your character is very vulnerable much of the time, and his health chips away pretty quickly, so when you're surrounded by enemies and hacking away at them, it's important to occasionally stun an enemy so you can perform an execution and regain your life bar. It's great because rather than simple tearing through your opponents without a care in the world (as in most Koei slashers), your character is almost constantly near death, which necessitates a bit more strategy in timing your moves and executions together. It keeps the action intense, and keeps the adrenaline flowing.
Otherwise the story is competent enough, the graphics look great considering this obviously isn't a triple-A sort of title, and it plays with virtually no glitches or hiccups at all (not that I could find at least). There's the very occasional bit of variety when they game goes rail shooter, or when it equips you with a jetpack, and it's actually a bit longer than I was expecting (not sure of the actual timeframe, but I was expecting the game to end around the third act, but it continued for two more after that; a pleasant surprise).
It's a surprisingly rock-solid game all around. I usually expect western-made games to have bugs-aplenty, even if only from a graphical standpoint, but everything about this one is really technically sound. The artistic design is great as well, and the gameplay is unique enough that the game can't really be properly lumped in with every other shooter out there.
An easy recommendation. :nice!:
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Odd I used to be on the other side of this debate. I am very happy with this gen esp in visuals. But the medium does need to progress.If a console stays too far behind PC's will take over. Tech needs to improve now whether or not consumers are ready when console makers are ready is another subject. I still just love the visuals on WonderBoy in Monster World. I still love Alex Kidd visuals on MS. I still love Shenmue visuals. No matter the era I'm still impressed. But tech can limit art design. I said this on my forum but feel Darksiders II was limited by the consoles of some of the design that could have been in a few areas esp the first. I love my 360 and still want a PS3. People last gen were more than happy with what PS2 can do and pointed out games like God Of War II,Resident Evil 4 & Chronicles of RIddick. Then new consoles come and people are ready all the sudden. Personally consoles should not end their cycle until there is no more to squeeze out like the rolled up toothpaste tube.

From a marketing standpoint, sure, it all makes sense. If they want to keep making money, they have to eventually have new hardware, obviously.
But purely in a technical capabilities capacity, I can't say I agree.
As consoles are now, there's almost nothing that can't be done through the use of smarter development techniques. The tech itself isn't limiting anyone on their art design right now. PS2 and before, I might agree to an extent, but when you have current games that look like Uncharted and FFXIII (and now looking at things like Ground Zeroes), it's clear that no one is limited by the tech; it's just a matter if using that tech in better and smarter ways, which most devs aren't doing.
You use Darksiders 2 as an example of being limited by the consoles it's on, but I don't think it's a very good example, considering the game isn't exactly the pinnacle of what's out there right now.
Darksiders 2 is limited by its budget, the capabilities of its programmers and designers, and its development schedule. Nothing else.
Given more time, a higher budget, and more inventive programmers, and the game could likely have accomplished everything you think it should have. It's not the fault of the hardware it's running on.
I agree that a console generation shouldn't move on until everything is squeezed out of it, but I don't think everything has been squeezed out of this one. There's still much, much more that can be done.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega "Heritage" Collection Trailer

Shit. I was getting all excited throughout the trailer, like it was going to all be lumped together on a disc... but no, it was just advertising the DLC versions.
Still think a retail version is likely though. Hopefully they'll put it on PS3 too, this time.
by OL
Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mue 26 wrote:Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times...

A bit is putting it far too nicely.
by OL
Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A sense of humbleness is always good. Makes me respect someone more when they create great things, yet refrain from boasting or playing themselves up.
Maybe one reason I tend to like several Japanese devs more than most western ones I ever see.
You watch an interview with a Japanese creator (of games or otherwise), and they don't typically talk your ear off about how artistic their work is, or spout things like "get ready to have your mind fucked by awesomeness!"
A lot of times they just say "we tried to do this" and "we tried to do that", and end it by saying "please enjoy our game. Thank you."
Maybe it's a silly reason to like or dislike certain things, but it tends to make me appreciate one product over another sometimes when I know its creators aren't obnoxious blowhards.

Cage's newer games might be good for all I know (like Kenny said, last one I played was Indigo Prophecy, and it was terrible). But I won't indulge them, because I already know that Cage is an obnoxious blowhard (to an absolute extreme), and I have no desire to support his work if he's like that.
by OL
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Because its parents didn't love it.
by OL
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

Yeah, the ideas actually are interesting, but I still take issue with them. I don't like that they're taking Devil May Cry and trying to use it for the sake of political commentary and satire. I hate that actually.
Do that in your own IP. Don't take an established franchise (no matter how much you may be altering and twisting it) that people are so fond of, and fuck with in such a way as to put across subjects as touchy as politics. It's an ugly thing to do, and will only serve to make the "DMC" name look even worse in some peoples' eyes.
DMC shouldn't be a platform for social controversy.
For a while there, I was starting to just accept that this game was coming out and that it's nothing to be bothered by.
But now I think I'm right back on the "fuck this game" bandwagon.
by OL
Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

It's amazing how there were no beat-em-up scenes in either of those videos, and yet I was still hooked to the screen watching them. The taxi driving looks incredibly fun (especially on the highway, pulling off Heat moves), and I don't usually bother with hunting games, but if there's a great story involved (which ther obviously will be) then I could easily get into it.

Sega would be crazy not to localize this.
by OL
Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally went through and unlocked Raoh in Fist of the North Star.
Some of his moves are insane. Some of his standard combos look like goddamn super moves. Definitely a lot of visual impact going on when playing this motherfucker.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fucking christ, how much can two people go on and on about whether something looks prettier or not? I skipped the rest after the fifth post in a row.

Regardless, I'm kind of siding with Dorian on this; it isn't a huge improvement from a strictly visual standpoint, at least not in the battle gameplay shots. The shots from movie scenes look incredible though. The facial detail on certain characters is nuts.
Chances are that the change in graphics engine wasn't done just to make everything prettier though, but rather to allow more on-screen at once without slowdown, as well as being able to render larger cities in larger detail all at once. The technical stuff basically, rather than the aesthetic surface stuff.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ComplexGameing's top 50 Dreamcast games

Huh.
So the top Dreamcast game is a licensed fighter which isn't even exclusive to the Dreamcast.
:roll:
Yeah, sure, that's what comes to mind when I think of the DC. Uh huh.
Never mind the detail-oriented, open-environment 80s revenge story, the cel-shaded rollerblading grafitti simulator, the sky pirate-themed Sega-developed RPG, or the over-the-top arcade-style taxicab racing game.
No, none of those come to mind when I think of the Dreamcast.
Just Capcom and their 579th fighting game to be released in a single decade.
Yessiree.

Some great games on there, but the order is ridiculous.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post a PM

Ryudo it is not appropriate to argue with other members over what you think is a rule violation. We are regular members now. If you feel QWERTY has violated one of the rules, you can report the post to the staff so they can take a look at it and determine if action on their end is necessary. After you do that, consider your job is done. Nothing more is to be gained from that point in further back and forth.
I did report his posts and the most action I have seen is just a mod thanking your post. But no action taken.

I'm less of an "enforcement" mod, and almost more of an honorary one. I use mod tools whenever I see it as necessary, and since I'm obviously not the type to abuse them, Yama was nice enough to let me keep those capabilities.
Simply as a member of the forums though, I agree with Sonikku. Report a post, PM a mod, all of the above if you have a problem with something that's been posted. Saying "I'm telling on you" probably isn't the wisest way to avoid arguments, and you ought to know that. And as a side-note, telling someone "I left the subject alone, but you're the one that brought it back up" does not count as leaving the subject alone .
I think this topic will likely end up locked just based on the concept alone, but I'll leave that to the other mods in case there's some reason it should stay open.
@QWERTY, calling people names is clearly against the rules. It feels kind of "elementary school" that anyone could even be bickering about that, considering we're all adults, but it's against the rules still. So unless it's all in the form of friendly, mutual jabs (which this obviously isn't), it needs to be cut out right now.

I'm shaking my head while sighing as I type this. It feels like, as I said, elementary school.
Dammit kids, quit the damn tattling and name-calling, or so help me I'll call your parents!
Teh intranetz-------->Serious business.
by OL
Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV Series Are You Watching

Hey, these old Flip the Frog shorts by Ub Iwerks are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNi-ybtYiRw

You magnificent bastard! I've been looking for that cartoon for ages, but couldn't remember what it was called. Seriously, that exact one. I've been referencing the big butt-->big boobs gag as an example of how cartoons were originally for adults, but I could never cite exactly where it was from.
Thank you good sir.
by OL
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ah, you know, I'd forgotten about the Snake Flower Triad thing. Been a while since I played either game, so yeah, I could just be remembering it wrong.
But I do still hold that the focus of Y3 compared to earlier games leans more toward Kazuma and the different aspects of his character, rather than the big, explosive events going on. I remember that feeling very clearly. The events are still there of course, but they aren't quite as much the focus as is Kazuma's reactions to everything, the way he handles his responsibilities, relationships, etc. The change in writer between Y2 and Y3 was a major contributor to that, of course.
That focus probably contributed a lot to whatever perception of "size" I had about the game.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, a lot of people aren't so fond of the Okinawa parts of Y3 (and I don't necessarily blame them, since it doesn't exactly present the same tone that one usually goes into a Yakuza game for), but I absolutely loved them. One of the most distinguishing factors in Y3, in my eyes. There's fighting present, but that's not what I think of when I remember those parts. I think of casually strolling around town, stopping into a restaurant for lunch and a drink, checking out the details of the orphanage, helping the kids out with their various troubles, etc. It generally just feels much more homey and pleasant than the rest of the series, as you said, a bit like the original Shenmue.
It's kind of like how a lot of people didn't like the early parts in Kingdom Hearts 2, saying they were too slow and too mundane. But that was actually my favorite part in that game, specifically because it was slower and more laid-back. Same deal for Yakuza 3. It's a part of the game that you can just hang out in.
I love that.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.
Seeing him get some level of peace after the first two games (despite the punks you constantly have to beat up :P ) was different and interesting to me, and dealing with the kids never came off as a chore in my eyes.
I think it's one of those cases where you just have to approach it almost as a point-and-click adventure game in a way, not expecting explosive action, but rather character development and a more laid-back atmosphere.
It might just not be for some people, and that's perfectly understandable.
by OL
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

Just about as badass as boss fight music can get.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXGvpmkLcfg[/youtube]
by OL
Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Last Of Us

After seeing the initial convention demos and, especially, the newest trailer put up on PSN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjQZP_rp5E

...I'm totally sold.
I think I'll be trying to do a media blackout on this like I did with Uncharted 3. I don't want to see anything else until I actually play the game.
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: American vs. PAL vs. Japanese

US and Japanese covers (the EU version is the same as the Japanese one):
http://oi48.tinypic.com/15heaud.jpg
http://oi49.tinypic.com/ao72o5.jpg

Not actually sure which one I like more.
Both are the same basic idea, just a different amount of clothing. :lol:
I might be leaning more toward the Japanese one, just because the inclusion of more clothing obviously makes his character design stand out more, and the blue flames are a teensy bit more prominent in it, which would make it a bit more eye-catching on a store shelf.
Both are good though.

And just a reminder, the topic is also about which you like more and why...
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I still think the only real problem with the gameplay is that the enemies are just way too tough. It's kind of draining to pump machinegun fire into the same enemy for a full minute before killing him. And he's not even a boss. Or a mini-boos. Or anything special at all. Just a regular enemy. <_<
If not for that, I wouldn't mind playing it again at some point. But yeah, like Segata, I have to agree that I can't really see myself playing all the way through it again, despite whatever slight fondness I still have for it.
by OL
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic