Search found 471 matches

Return

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY)

Yooooooo Dojo.

The Shenmue holiday special is finally in a decent state for others to play. This Demo was supposed to be released on Christmas day....however there were some serious game breaking bugs that took a while to fix. (better late than never)

READ THIS THREAD CAREFULLY TO AVOID RUNNING INTO PROBLEMS..... AND TO HAVE THE GAME RUN SMOOTHLY.

Origins Of The Game

For the past couple of weeks, I have been investigating a visual novel application known as ren'py. I have a keen interest in this engine, as I would like to one day import my own artwork into its system and create an independent title. However, since most of my drawings are not on my computer, I thought i'd use Shenmue images in it's replacement whilst i learn the language.

This game is very simple and not very deep, as it was something I just threw together whilst learning ren'py. Throughout the game, you will see a lot of unusual events that may NOT seem very "Shenmuish". Again, this is because I was trying different aspects out within the ren'py engine. Dont expect nothing groundbreaking

SHENMUE CHRONICLES CHAPTER 1 (RYO'S STORY) Beta V1.01

http://i41.tinypic.com/r0bguq.jpg

PLOT

After dealing with the Mad Angels, Ryo prepares himself for his long awaited trip to Hong Kong. The following day, he learns that Nozomi has been kidnapped again! Ryo teams up with 4 of his friends in order to rescue her. Can he find Nozomi before he has to leave the country?

This will be a 30 - 45 minute game featuring some of our favorite Shenmue characters. The story will take place after the 70 man battle, and be an alternative take on how Shenmue 1 ended.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9ft9g0.jpg

FAQS

What Are The Controls?

The game is played with the mouse.
1) Left click = continues to the next section
2) right click = access menu (save , load, options, full-screen/window etc)

How Do I Play This Game

Read the dialog on the screen. Whenever you see the blinking arrow, left click to continue. At some points you will be asked to make choices. Choose carefully :)

How Many Endings Does This Game Have?

The game has 2 endings......one good, and one bad. It will be interesting to see which one you guys get lol.

This Game Contains To Much Text And Is Boring

That's visual games for you. You either love them or hate them. I recommend taking your time with the game. Read carefully and slowly.....and don't rush through it.

Spelling And Grammar Mistakes.

Yep, I'm aware of most of the mistakes. But this is a Beta/Demo, so it does have its fair share of issues. This will be fixed in the final version. Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to proof read everything.

Some Images Are Medium To Low Quality?

Most of the game has fairly decent images. However, in some instances, there are medium to low quality pictures. This is mainly seen with Nagashima and Eri. This will be fixed in the final version.

My Screen Resolution Doesn't Support This Game?

This game was created in a 800 x 600 format. If you encounter black borders on either side of the screen, adjust your screen resolution on the desktop (right click on desktop and press on properties or screen resolution).

Can I Play This In Fullscreen?

You can, but you will more than likely notice the low quality images and bad sprite rips. I recommend playing in window mode if you're a graphics or perfectionist whore. :) To run in fullscreen mode, right click to access the options menu, click on preferences, and click full screen. (You must have a fairly decent direct x driver installed, otherwise the game will crash when going fullscreen)

The Game's Font Doesn't Work On My Computer

This game uses the "Arlrdbd" font. Download it here and follow the instructions on the site to install the font.
http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

I've Encountered An Error

Refer to the FAQs or send me a PM.

You've Included My Work And Given Me A Shoutout

There are various shout-outs and nods to some dojo members and youtubers in the game........mainly when Ryo goes to sleep. I did this out of respect, as i wanted this to be a community project for everyone on the dojo. If you have a problem with the inclusion of your work, let me no and I'll get rid of it.

Thanks For The Shoutout

No problem. Keep up the awesome work.

Why Didn't I Have A Shoutout?

Everyone on the dojo will get a shoutout in the final game.

Thanks For Making This

No problem. This is my Christmas present to the Shenmue Community

Where Are The Fight Scenes?

There are no fight scenes in the demo. Wait for the fullgame.

This Game Sucks, You Suck

Love you to. Remember, this is something I just threw together. It's not suppose to be taken seriously. Hopefully next year, we can all work on a game together to make it extra awesome.

Distribution

Please do not share the links or reupload them. Link people to this thread. This is a Beta test for hardcore shenmue fans to try out, enjoy, and give feedback in order to make the final product amazing. Please respect these terms.

What Do You Still Need To Work On?

Ha, tons of stuff. sprites, scripts, grammar checks, importing a Shenmue user interface, audio, fight scenes, extra characters, animation, intro, ending etc. This is nowhere near finished.

When's The Final Version?

For those who actually enjoyed the game, the final version will be much MUCH bigger. (New areas, characters, sequences, fight scenes, voice clips, choices, UI etc) The game will go past Shenmue 1.... and on to a certain ship :)
Final version coming 2014.

Have You Got Any Other Projects Like This?

I have many different Shenmue Demo's, but this was the only one that was in a half decent state

How Can I Say Thank You And Support Shenmue

1)Give this thread a thumbs up and thank you
2)Buy the Ryo Hazuki first four figure statue
3)Buy Ryo DLC in sonic racing transformed
4)Buy Shenmue clothing from insertcoin
5)join TeamYu.net to save Shenmue
6)Sign up to the ShenmueDojo, ShenmueMaster Website.
7)Subscribe to ziming and AdamKoralik's youtube channels.

How to install The Game

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:
Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

- Windows 7/Vista Font Install:
Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2)Download the base file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pwoaa5vxsnw28wa/Project+Shen+Base+File.zip

3)Download the sound/image file here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a5gck80wtvgd7yz/Project+Shen+Sound+and+Pics.zip

4)Extract base file (winrar, winzip)

5)Extract sound/image file (winrar , winzip)

6)The extracted sound and image file should be called "archive.rpa". copy this to the game directory of the basefile.
(Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo-all/game/PLACE ARCHIVE FILE HERE)

7)Double click the Project Xmas 2013 Special Demo application icon in the main directory.

Enjoy.

@ShenmueTree, I can't wait to try out Project Sekai. It's where my original inspiration came from. :king:

I hope all you guys have an awesome XMAS holiday, and a fantastic new year. Hopefully we get more Shenmue news in 2014. :)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ic88sj.jpg

Giorgio Let's play of the game

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PlS7bJVQM

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnjbBM2G-M

Enjoy
by ShenSun
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy X-3 A Possbility??!!

As long as its another girl power fan service extravaganza like X-2 I'm all for it.
by Rakim
Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Secrets and Easter Eggs

shengoro86 wrote:But would Niao Sun be a friend to begin with? Unless she deceives Ryo with her seductiveness, per her bio, and then betrays him?

Ha! She'd be lucky..
by Crimson Ryan
Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought Final Fantasy X was a beautiful game -- with a beautiful ending. X-2 kind of ruined that with its incessant need for happiness and it ultimately shit all over any real emotions. If the game is fun, sure why not, but blargh why can't they just leave a good thing alone...
by Thief
Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I can't be the only guy who doesn't want Shenmue 3, righ

If you don't think it's worth the effort to keep trying new ways to bring about Shenmue III, then that's entirely your choice. You can retire to your cave and forget all about it. Good for you. Enjoy. But you have no right whatsoever to tell anyone else to give it up and that they should be embarrassed for trying. Be it for a videogame sequel or anything else in life. Shame on you for that.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Better than another continuation of XIII if you ask me.
by Kenny
Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Mini Discussion Series

Good stuff man.
by Axm
Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In my opinion, these are the most discussed parts. The ones you say in the video.

Actually I'm very very interested to make a mini guide about the fortune tellers.This point is not so used as Shenmue 3 or main characters but it has very curious information about the future episodes.
by Fenix
Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Iwao alive though? Slow down turbo! Is this Metal Gear Solid 4? ;)
by Axm
Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Bad Ending"

You get to play Shenmue III.
by MiTT3NZ
Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Swapping NPCs in Shenmue 2 for Shenmue Collection

The Shenmue Collection menu seems to be at SCENE\04\OMAK\OMAK.EV1 That's where, at least, I found the subtitles in order to translate them. The graphics should be at the same folder, but a different file.
by IlDucci
Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In my opinion, these are the most discussed parts. The ones you say in the video.

Actually I'm very very interested to make a mini guide about the fortune tellers.This point is not so used as Shenmue 3 or main characters but it has very curious information about the future episodes.

Ahh true, especially the one about the fortune teller saying that a friend will become an enemy.

Ill look into that.

Thanks Fenix!

You are welcome. I've got some savegames to repeat the prediction in Wan Chai and Kowloon. Yesterday I got another one very curious. Something like "a woman with red hair (Joy???) is waiting for you close to a red machine (or something similar) and she will give you bad luck".

Damn... Sounds like I'm trolling but I swear this is the true. Or just what I actually remember. Maybe she was talking about Joy trapped and the red cage with Baihu inside. I'll look for it the next week.
by Fenix
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue in Local Communities

For what it's worth, I liked where you were coming from Jenny. We don't get enough people who dare to think outside the box or dream big over here. And that is exactly the kind of thinking that sparked Team Yu and the current campaign. Sure, not every idea will come to fruition, but some will stick and can have surprising results. So, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to stay here and continue to bounce ideas with us.
by mue 26
Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue in Local Communities

YUmakemygame wrote:
I'm from New York... we're about sensitive as pap smear samples.

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
by Rakim
Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue: Photo of Father

Its a good scene. I got it once before when I did an all day speed run through the game. Shenmue really covers its bases no matter how you end up playing it.
by Axm
Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RELEASE: Shenmue 2X - Final Boss Mod

You did an excellent job on this mod shengoro86.

:)
by sm1th
Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Issues with Shenmue Undub on my Dreamcast?

The japanese version has many more speech files than the english version does. If not close to double the amount of speech files.

The majority of the JP speech files once rebuilt into an archive are:
Missing
Differently Named
Etc.

**This is why it is silent when the files were incompatible between both versions.

It took me many months just to get the subtitles to load correctly with the modified speech files. In many different previous iso versions the mod would produce subs that had a mix of JP and ENG including funky ascii. Also previous versions had issues with crashing.. Once I finally figured out howto swap and mod everything that was possible then rebuild the archives correctly, the final result is that some of the FREE speech is silent.

Free Speech has close to 60 percent complete undub.
Cinematics is more like 98 percent complete undub.

Anyhow it was a complete bitch to mod undub.
The project is complete..although Revive DC will someday do a repack for Disc 3.

Consider this undub a hacked undub. (Modified Files, Swap, etc.)
Play this version until a newer one is available...

The only way that a 100 percent complete undub can be done is if the subs are translated from japanese to english. (while using all the jp speech files)
Good news, Kogami is doing this exact translation of Shenmue 1 for DC.
Some day it will be complete and you will not have to play this version anymore.

Hope this helps.
:)
by sm1th
Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 2 I want to share this map I made

Hi i`m new here. I want to share this map I made.

by psychokamui
Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My thoughts on how Shenmue III would be formatted

^ If they call that "Shenmue Zero" I'll buy!
by mue 26
Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue NEOGAF Thread #SaveShenmue

There's no doubt that Shenmue is somewhat of a hot topic at the moment. We need to maintain this pressure as much as possible throughout 2014.

We NEED a Neogaf thread promoting the #SaveShenmue campaign.

This will give us A TON of momentum. I propose that we find someone willing to create such a thread, and ask them to bump the post every month to keep the topic active.

UPDATE:

We now have a thread. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762839
by ShenSun
Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I can't be the only guy who doesn't want Shenmue 3, righ

I don't expect anyone to go through the lengths some of us have, not one bit. The point is you'll still play and hopefully enjoy it if it ever comes to fruition and that is what matters most. Everyone has different levels of optimism and more so willingness to push for what they desire. I don't think either has the right or need to judge the other, especially not if they'll seemingly support the same cause in the end. The only reason for pessimism outside of the financials would be quality. Not technologically of course, because the older games could be trumped for less of a development cost. This is more in regards to the team being all but disbanded and the current state of SEGA and other companies. It is nightmarish to think of the title finally coming to fruition only to disappoint and ruin the legacy. To be fair though, that's a risk just about every fan is willing to take.
by Yama
Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PS4 versus the One, two months in...

Unlike a lot of outlets, I didn't want to rush to conclusions, but instead actually use the two consoles regularly and without agenda. Granted there are a lot of comparative articles out there, though most date back to launch month. I'd like to provide a completely honest and seasoned opinion based on a hefty amount of hands on time. With that said, let's begin.

Overall Design

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png The PlayStation 4 has a sleek and edgy design. Upon unboxing the machine, it surprised me just how small it was considering the power it was packing, especially without the need for an external power brick. My only concern is the console does heat up quickly, so long sessions could potentially become hazardous. I haven't experienced this yet, though I don't like the operating temperature thus far. The system is fairly quiet, with the only true noise coming from the Blu-ray drive when accessed. Though it doesn't wobble, it doesn't sit entirely stable if any pressure is applied. Newer models should definitely have revised leg stands.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png The Xbox One is huge, plain and simple. With that said, it is well built and should draw comparisons to the original X-Box more so than the 360. With the forced inclusion of a Kinect and an external power brick, it takes up quite a bit of space. With that said, my console runs cool and has yet to show any signs of overheating. Considering it's used as a cable box (there is no HDMI pass through, so it must be on), it simply has to. I'm impressed by the cooling system thus far. Like the PS4, system noise is quiet with the only true noise coming from the Blu-ray drive when accessed.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png Though both are obviously well constructed, I'll have to pick the PS4. It's edgy yet simple design is surprisingly compact considering the horsepower within.

Controller

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png The Dual Shock 4 is a huge step up from the Dual Shock 3. From a usability point, I enjoy it's grippy rear while the face retains a smooth look. The buttons are flat and easy to the press and the d-pad is what you'd expect, solid. The stick placement is widened which is perhaps the biggest improvement, for me at least. This takes away from that congested feeling during FPS movement. The sticks themselves feel a bit mushy which gives me the idea they'll wear somewhat quickly, though they are sticky enough that your thumb won't slide. The handle shape is also much more comfortable to the grip. It's a huge improvement under every necessary category and that's without even giving the nod to the newly introduced speaker and touch screen. These two features speak for themselves and work well for what they are. I also appreciate the ability to set my controllers auto turn off function to a set time, or none. Likewise, the share button is convenient. My only gripe is battery life, which seems like a third of the Dual Shock 3's.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png The Xbox One controller is a basic evolution of the 360 controller. My first impression is it fit into my hands like a glove. I also like the fact that the triggers have padded resistance inside, so it's not plastic smacking against plastic. It's a premium sort of feel. The rumble functions have been greatly improved and specific buttons can rumble to indicate different things. It's a difference maker in games like Forza where rumble helps to feel situational resistance and other elements. The buttons are convex, so it's a matter of preference. The sticks themselves feel great, with a nice grip around the edge to reduce sliding. They feel of a better build than the PS4's. With that said, there is an element that's a step back from the 360 and that's the sticks actual resistance. Hopefully this won't reflect poorly in gameplay, though only an accuracy based shooter will tell. The d-pad is an improvement over the 360/360S, though is still not great. The bumpers are also awkwardly placed, to the point I can't believe it got past Q&A. Granted you're supposed to use them in a different manner, using the middle of your finger instead of the top, though it doesn't feel natural. On the positive side, it's great not to have a huge battery bulk protruding from the bottom of the controller. Compared to the PS4 I prefer the stick layout as it's better for FPS, yet not detrimental to any other type of genre.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png The PS4's controller definitely improved upon it's predecessor more, though that's partly due to having more to improve upon. Both controllers feel great and are some of the best we've been offered in gaming. I'm going to vote neutral here because I honestly feel it comes down to preference.

OS

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png The UI is silky smooth, well designed, organized and most of all fast. With many divisions of Sony cooperation merging, it's becoming apparent. The PlayStation division is taking on a more SonyStyle approach, something that has been long overdue. Finally introduced is the party system, which allows players to easily cross invite, cross chat and even cross platform using the PlayStation Vita. The actual chat quality is good (as long as you're using any microphone except the one packaged in the box) and the rooms also allow for text chat, room titles and other such options. The UI has the network built into it, thus users no longer seem like a "floaty" afterthought. Capturing in-game footage is incredibly easy, as is streaming to your favorite client. The entire feature is built into the network and UI, so it's fun and easy to both host and view content. The store is a bit sluggish and needs an update, though it's properly organized. The Blu-ray player is what you'd expect, though without the support of a Blu-ray remote seems a bit convoluted. Overall, the apps load quickly and are easy to navigate. The only "issue" I have with the UI is it seems a bit barren, though this is due to a lack of content. Something as such will obviously change through out the year and has nothing to do with the excellent UI itself.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png The One's OS is built in the same vein as Windows 8 and Windows smartphones therefore it's a jack of all trades and is very app centric. The One's name sounded funny at first, though started to make sense with some genuine play time. As a user you are able to define your own experience. If you'd like it to be experience centered around gaming, you have the option to pin the necessary content to your Home and disregard the rest (barely anything is pre-installed). If you'd like for it to be an all in one device, it's more than capable. The problem as of right now is many of the gaming options found on the 360 are missing and hinder the social gaming experience. While the party chat is crystal clear, it's interface is clunky at best. Integrating Smart Match has left me with nothing but a headache. If you're attempting to invite one of a few party members to a game, the system automatically chooses the person. The problem is it's not always the right person. The result is crashing the party, inviting the said individual first and then reforming once in game. With that said, to access your friends list also takes a decent amount of time because it's an app. Luckily this is the worst of it. The TV function is handy, though HDMI pass through would be ideal. Voice commands are surprisingly well done and are a nice bonus. You can easily control your volume, channel and other such aspects on the fly. In regards to apps, the ability to control my experience is appreciated, though I don't feel I should have to download every necessary utility including the Blu-ray player. That aside, the player is basic yet functional and the ability to control it via the handy Smartglass is appreciated. Perhaps the best feature of the OS however is the snap function which allows users to push apps into windows. It's a nice bonus to be able to watch Netflix, TV or a Twitch stream while leveling in a game or something else that requires a low attention span. A more usable example would be watching TV and wanting to quickly search the web for something, it's very easy to do and quite intuitive. The console also handles streaming from the PC with a single click, it's handy. The achievement system received an overhaul and is presented through sleek 1080p imagery. It now keeps track of individual achievements through percentages where applicable. Overall the OS is extremely flexible and is a multitasking monster, though it's plagued by slow navigation and a convoluted design in regards to basic necessities. Such elements would be better if integrated into the OS and not inside slow loading apps.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png It's quite obvious updates are coming, though I'm going by what I've used for months. As it stands, the PS4 ironically feels like a streamlined evolution to the 360, while the One takes off in an entirely different direction. This direction is commendable and even desirable, though the gaming features need much work. I'll have to go with the PS4's UI as it's the type of ease and performance I expect from a next-gen console, despite it's lack of content.

Accessory Support

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png Over time, consoles have evolved as have the peripherals that connect to them. Compared to listening through a stereo television and chatting via a wired mono headset, playing via 7.1 headphones with built in chat dramatically changes the experience. From ease of use to sound quality, it's important. The same can be said about connecting to a home theater system. I was happy to use the PS4's optical out to pick up a 5.1 signal without any hitches and was equally as pleased to see they used a 3.5mm headset jack. With a $4 cable adapter, I was up and running without any hitches using my Turtle Beach XP500's. I was however disappointed to see that the Bluetooth option, while available, is unable to be used with any third party peripherals (and even first party of old). This is blasphemous. Though an update is apparently in the works, it remains to be seen just what will be able to connect. On the current side of peripherals, the PlayStation Camera is a great tool for broadcasting yourself during streams. Connecting the camera also adds the ability to use voice commands. While admittedly not as robust as the One's, it's a nice optional feature and I'm thankful it wasn't forced. The pack in mono microphone however is perhaps the worst microphone I've ever used. Throw it away, now. In regards to storage, you can remove and replace the PS4's HDD. I appreciate having control over this aspect, especially considering it helps future proof the console.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png Similar to the PS4, I started by connecting a 5.1 device via optical out. It only transmitted stereo. I took to the forums to find out it's something they are looking to add in early 2014, because apparently something that has been a standard since PS2 isn't available on an "all in one" media device . Unacceptable. There is no Bluetooth, so I'll excuse the lack of features thereof. It'd have been nice to use such devices out of the box, though Wi-fi Direct's 250mb/s compared to Bluetooth 2.1 EDR's 3mb/s is a step in the right direction and an understated feature of the console. With that said, there isn't a 3.5mm headphone jack either. To use traditional headsets we'll need an adapter, the same one that is not available until March 2014 despite the console releasing November of 2013. Poor planning would be an understatement. Both an update and adapter are necessary to make the console viable in the sound department, something that should have been sorted for launch day. As far as the pack in headset, it's crystal clear, though yet another wired mono headset. The Kinect itself is a great piece of technology. Despite this, I fail to see it's forced nature having used the console for months now. In no way is it a necessity, nor does it fully change the experience, it marginally helps streamline it. I do like it's features to read codes automatically, log me in based on facial structure and other express options. With that said, I can't claim it's worth the extra $100-$150 despite it's solid nature. Speaking of forced, the One's hard drive is not upgradable, so you're stuck with the performance and space limitations forever.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png The inability to use key media features on an all in one media device is simply unacceptable, thus I have to go with the less proprietary pushing PS4. I'm confident updates will fix said issues, though for the price and era we're in, we shouldn't have to play the waiting game for mainstream necessities.

Games

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png Games have always been and always will be a preference, though the lack thereof is undebatable. PS4's launch was plagued by delays and a lack of exclusives. With that said, 2014 is looking much brighter. A big strength the PS4 has right now is superiority in regards to multiplatform titles. The extra horsepower under the hood is already starting to show and it'll only define itself more over time. The understated indie developed titles of the PS4 are also a great strength. Sony's incredible first party studios are guaranteed to push satisfying content in the not so far off future, though we'll definitely have to wait another year until we see anything from Naughty Dog and company.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png The Xbox One launch was actually one of the better launch line ups I've seen, it covered just about every genre with something satisfying. 2014 looks to have some heavy hitting exclusives both early and late into the year, including but not limited to Titanfall, Halo and Quantum Break. It's ability to secure unique endeavors like D4 also excites me. I'm not sure what's beyond that, though I'm going to have to live in the now and enjoy the undoubtedly great year of gaming the One has to offer. If it's a sign of more things to come, I'll be satisfied.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png Launch line up versus launch line up, the One supplied me with months of solid gaming where as the PS4 did not. Looking into 2014, the One is also bringing more heavy hitters along with new and unique IP's. I'm paying heed to the power differences of both consoles, thus securing my decision to get games like The Evil Within and Destiny on the PS4. I'm also well aware that the PS4 will positively have incredible exclusives by some of the most unique developers in the business by 2015 and that excites me more than anything. However, comparing what is available now and what will be available this year, I'm giving the nod to the Xbox One. The future however is looking blue.

Network

http://i.imgur.com/IXQJD4G.png PlayStation Network has dramatically improved since the launch of the PS4. The entire experience is streamlined and provides a social gaming atmosphere that is fun to partake in. I'm also impressed that it extends onto the PS Vita, with many options available between PS4 and Vita users. PSN finally feels whole and is the forefront of the PS4, not an after thought as it was on the PS3. I have experienced some terrible online matches however as well as the entire network going down on more than one occasion. It's still got a ways to go, though is finally taking large strides forward. PlayStation Plus however is king. The amount of savings and deals given to players is commendable.

http://i.imgur.com/MRLkCgq.png Xbox LIVE has been and remains one of the most consistent networks available for gaming. The newly introduced dedicated servers have allowed for some of the most smooth gameplay I've felt online. Despite having a top tier connection, many of my friends do not. The same people that would create a literal slide show in various fighting games suddenly feel like we're playing offline together, it's actually quite amazing. Granted, this is what eleven years of paid service culminates, funds for better servers. Even under the heaviest of loads on launch night or Christmas day, there wasn't a single hitch. Games for Gold however is a sorry PlayStation Plus rip off and I don't use that term lightly. The service literally throws bargain bin 360 titles at the user as if anyone actually wants them.

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png Excellent dedicated servers and stability are key, I'd want nothing more from online gaming. Xbox LIVE is still king, though it'll have to keep up the pace because the competition is finally starting to make moves.

Verdict

http://www.mricons.com/store/png/68911_10793_32_rate_rating_star_yellow_icon.png For once I can say I own two consoles at launch and the experience is different enough that I can warrant owning both. Both consoles are solid and quite impressive in their own right. The Xbox One needs some urgent updates, with those it'll become a dream machine of sorts. The PlayStation 4 did it right out of the box, all it needs is time to allow for all of the great software to release. I especially appreciate the speedy UI, it makes me want to turn on the console even just to browse. Either of these consoles are an investment, so you're looking for future proof hardware and studios that will continue to amaze down the line. The PlayStation 4 fits this bill at a cheaper price, thus it's my choice out of the two.
by Yama
Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My own thoughts on what I would like in Shenmue 3 (Video

Thanks for this James.

I enjoy watching your shenmue videos.

Granma cockblock lol. Unfortunately, that has happened to me before haha.
by ShenSun
Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Starting a new mod.

I decided to go with passport Ryo.

Model is already divided in parts. I'm praying to see if it works [-o<

Ryo is a new gen model. He doesn't have "block union" or whatever is called so when you divide the model in parts you have to unify polys or the model will be have opacity on articulations.

http://i.imgur.com/f1BuYBk.png
by Fenix
Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's Shenmue translation project

Sorry for not responding earlier, had to work and do other stuff. Here's a first attempt at the title screen.
I can give you the repacked SPR file when it's okay.

by BlueMue
Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Scene /80 Folder What's Shenmue

I've updated the list. Seems I didn't found correctly some of the areas.
by IlDucci
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release: Shenmue Beta with All Playable Beta Maps

Downloading.

You can add DEMUL emulator with playable softwares. It's the best emu for Dreamcast.

And thanks a lot for sharing it =D>
by Fenix
Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NullDC 1.0.4 r150 with Shenmue fixes by masterchan777

Hello everyone,

The latest build of nullDC has a couple of bugs that affect the gameplay of Shenmue, one of those bugs causes the emulator to randomly crash at some points during the gameplay of Shenmue II, and the other bug produces a really annoying high-pitch buzzing sound when playing What's Shenmue with CDDA Audio enabled.

I managed to fix both bugs, recompiled and uploaded the fixed nullDC r150 :

http://i.imgur.com/oNed55k.png
http://i.imgur.com/qmIk9y8.png
http://youtu.be/t_ugtRweKIo

Click here to download

I think it's the best version of nullDC out there, especially for Shenmue, since it has all the advantages of the latest release as well as the newly implemented fixes, give it a try if you like and let me know what you think.

Update :
A version with a different background art :

http://i.imgur.com/5iTjTdc.png

Click here to download

new background art made by : brad86

Note : I highly recommend deleting nullDC.cfg file, this will reset nullDC's settings back to default. You also need to install BOTH X64 and x86 versions of VS 2013 Dll files. which can be grabbed from this link : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Thanks for your time.
by masterchan777
Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Bicycle Mod Project by James Reiner (Progress Vi

I'm not sure if the memory address changes are the best approach. I would probably try finding the references in the files and hex edit these. That way the hack can also be distributed easily and should be much more stable.

I might be wrong but i believe that pretty much all bike motions are in SCENE\01\FREE\M_BIKE.BIN... If you look at the first 1024 bytes it already gives the descriptors for the content. So "AKI" is actually Ryo. You can see references to the motorcycle motions - i think "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" for example is a 180 degree turn on the motorcycle. What is interesting is that there is also a "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA"... Well if you don't speak Japanese that doesn't mean much but "Jitensha" means "bicycle", like one without an engine.

My memory is foggy, but i think Ryo pulls the 180 degree turn when he has to race the motorcycle to get Nozomi, right?
Since the beginning of that file is kinda index i guess it would be suitable to just swap "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" and "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA" and see if Ryo suddenly does the 180 degree turn on a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. AT least taht's what i would try first since it's easy to pull off - maybe 20 minutes of work, it won't affect the file size and thus be pretty safe and it would shed some light on these motion files. A second step would be to swap all motorcycle related ones with bicycle ones and see what will come out.

Another thing to look into would be the M_FREE.BIN in the same dir. These are the normal motions - like "AKI_AKI_SUWARU" (Ryo Sit). Obviously there must be some reference to these, prolly in the scene file scripts or main binary. Swapping these references successfully would mean you could make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting.

The 1st_read.bin also holds many interesting things - since it is kinda "main exe" for Shenmue loads of manipulation can be done here. You did a good job at editing the beta disc, so take a look at its 1st_read...

If you search a bit you can find a line starting with "NL_POINTXZ BikeRoot%02d[]"...

A few lines above that is something like "NL_POINT3 Root%02d[]=", why not try swapping that, so it will be "NL_POINT3 BikeRoot%02d[]=" and "NL_POINTXZ Root%02d[]", see what happens? ALso around that area in the 1st_read you will see more interesting stuff... "JUMP CHARA(Now Dead)", so obviously they originally had jumping in the game as well...

Also search for "Mo_InitBikePos" a few lines under that spot. Maybe you can swap "Mo_ExecSit" with "Mo_InitBikePos" to make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting here...

I think there are still a few things left to try out with hex editing and it is probably easier than memory juggling.

MOTION.BIN in the MOTION directory might also be a place to try some edits. Try swapping "AKI_AKI_PUSH_DOOR" and "AKI_AKI_PULL_DOOR", can you make Ryo pushing doors instead of pulling them? Might look funny... But easy testing to see what you can get done here...

Another very interesting find:

compare MISC\CM_D000.BIN and SCENE\01\D000\CYCLEMAN.BIN - same size. Same file? Nearly i would say. Maybe swapping these two would be worth a shot?

D000\MPK00.PKS also seems interesting, if you search for "BIKE" it reveals some QTE motions...

M_FREE.BIN might also be worth taking a look at. Try swapping "AKI_ORIRU_FORKLIFT_F" and "AKI_AKI_BIKE3_LP" ?
by Master Kyodai
Tue May 06, 2014 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: nullDC 1.0.4 r150 with two Shenmue fixes by masterchan77

Nice SweetFX setting Ziming.

I have an alternative profile I made if anyone is interested. I made this for use on a large LCD TV. I think the CRT effect actually makes the image look even less like a CRT screen when it's heavily overdone. This is a more subtle change, and really nice looking in action.

My screen resolution is at 1920x1080 for both the PC monitor and TV. The CRT effect will look incorrect if you are running NullDC at a different res. I'm also using x2 Supersampling, but if you struggle to run with it, just enable the FXAA option in the SweetFX.ini, this will do a nice job of sorting the remaining jaggies as I have already tweaked it to have a similar effect as the SSAA.

The images below look weird when not viewed at native scale. Please click for full-size.

http://i.minus.com/iNwAJIb8k6x9K.png
http://i.minus.com/iJgAYTiB5Hea4.png
http://i.minus.com/idn9BFivSLYhC.png
http://i.minus.com/ipeCdyGERqZ0m.png
http://i.minus.com/i8iEhVylCXYif.png
http://i.minus.com/iz9XTQVk1lQcu.png
http://i.minus.com/ibo0aITnoSo1Xi.png

SweetFX + profile: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ju0o2z1gu004pe0/SweetFX-1.4-_CRT_SHENMUE.rar

''PLEASE NOTE, I have not tested on an updated version of SweetFX, it might not have the same result.''
by brad86
Sat May 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: nullDC 1.0.4 r150 with two Shenmue fixes by masterchan77

This release is awesome, thank you to Brad and Masterchen777

Also the little problem I PM'd you about yesterday, your suggestion worked by deleting the nulldc.cfg file :D

Thanks mofo's.
by C..
Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Shenmue Android App "Shenmue Apps"

*Shenmue Apps*

Version 0.1.3: Current in Google Play
- Updated for Shenmue III
- App API and code migrated/updated to Gradle
- Maintained old Android compatibility
- Updated default clock-face graphics
- Clickable widget now opens Alarms

Version 0.1.2: Superseded
- Improved battery usage when using the Live Wallpaper
(limited the maximum framerate to 23fps)

Version 0.1.1: Superseded
- Added 3D Live Wallpaper
- Fixed random crashes
- Fixed widget resize crash
- Improved Menus & optimised code
- Reduced default transparency on watch
- Widget is now clickable

Version 0.1.0: Superseded

*Shenmue Mobile*
Version 0.1.0a: In Development (TBC)

---Original post---
Hi all,
This is my first post however I probably registered years ago (account deleted?). I go by the names: Razivoid and Raziel. It's not the place for introductions so I'll get to the point!

I have released an Android app in the Google Play store to which I'm anticipating feedback and seeing how much interest there is for Shenmue goodies (we all like new content right?). This app currently contains Ryo's watch face as a home screen widget. This is my first attempt at programming in this environment. I know it's not yet very pretty but I'm going to improve the graphics soon! This was all done in less than a day.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rmax.shenmueapps

The aim is to release some content that will please mobile user fans!

In other news I have a very ambitious project underway which is going to test all of my skills. I don't know if I want to give it all away but the question is - are there any fans that will appreciate the hard work?

"Shenmue Apps" will eventually be replaced for "Shenmue Mobile". This will have a number of 3D environments such that the user can navigate around and interact with assets. These "assets" are also mini-games. I am using Unity for this project. I am currently working on the toy-capsule feature.

The player gets ¥ on a daily basis. This can be used on toy-capsule machines and there will be an inventory for collection etc. I have already started resourcing/modeling the capsule toys for mobile testing though I have moved on to the core programming. I have a working interactive mobile 3D interface which is compatible with all platforms (I.E. PC, Android and iOS). Other mini-games I aim to build is touch-screen QTE and darts. Maybe the kitten's welfare could be another feature? I have tons of ideas but I have to be realistic at this stage. I may even need help as the programming is starting to get very complicated. The goal is to maintain the Shenmue aesthetics hence why I am sourcing the original game's resources (and redesigning alt HD versions).

All of a sudden it's starting to turn into a game! This project cannot and will not be marketable due to copyright etc.

I anticipate positive feedback! :)
~Razivoid.
\\Shenmue\\It_continues...
by Razivoid
Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What if PewDiePie did a full Let's Play of Shenmue 1 & 2

Im doing a LP right now, although im just an ordinary bloke, who knows maybe it will reach some new people.
by Mond
Sun May 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 Toy Capsule Challenge

Haha! "Upper Dave". You bellend. Pretty decent idea, but I'll probably wait for a fight challenge before I get involved. Could even use Reiner's Lan Di mod. No prize though... what's all that about?
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo's Room mapping in Source Engine [WIP]

Hi Shenmue Dojo community,

I work in a fan remake of Ryo's Room in Source Engine and want to share you what i already made, maybe I will make later the Hazuki's House entirely.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/486698014878699624/159BF168CD07A46ED65DB5C75B5BEBBF01037FA3/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/486698014878703696/168E5AD9D8FE328CAC839F60FCEA7D9217CEB5F4/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/486698014878701782/6DA6FDAAA59E69421B81DDF56FC4ECAA1AAF6BD7/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/486698014878695291/436FBC70A44280B6A21FD8750F3112606B09FED2/
by Rafik
Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tentei Revealed???

Hey Dojo,

In case some of you missed it, James and Norris posted a detailed analysis of the Shenmue concept art that was featured at GDC. Interestingly, they noticed something that im sure will make you raise your eyebrows. Ill add my own theories and thoughts into this discussion aswell.

Ok, so if you blow up card number 8, you can clearly see two pictures of Ryo. One screaming, and one possibly training/sneaking. However, if you look at the background, you'll notice that there is a bald man wearing a suit faded into the clouds. Interestingly, there are four other individuals at different points of the mountains.

Could that man in the clouds be Tentei, and the 4 individuals be the 4 leaders of the Chi You?

http://i.imgur.com/ydkfH2v.jpg

I believe those individuals are as follows.

http://i.imgur.com/T2A1hyr.jpg

The lan Di figure appears to have Lan di's tradtional pose that we see in Shenmue artwork

The Niao Sun figure appears to be wearing something long and wide, like a dress.

The ziming figure appears to be looking out over a mountain by himself.

The last individual is interesting. It appears as if he is carrying a staff, which could potentially suggest that he is an old man?

Could this be the same guy?

http://shenmuedojo.net/images/Projectberkley/berkley18.jpg

And last but not least, Tentei. The big boss, in the heavens watching over everyone.

http://i.imgur.com/P5JwCrY.png

What do you guys think?

In case you missed it, here's Jame's original video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8lnnb9OGok
by ShenSun
Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tentei Revealed???

I like the theory. I like all these theories because it just fun because it's like a detectives game on it's own.
Thinking about the plot of Shenmue is a never ending puzzle as long as we don't finally get the whole thing. It's just such a massive and compley story.

If you look close you can see that the mysterios man looks very chinese. The almost bald head with just a bit of hair in the back, the style of the beard. It doesn't seem to be grey so I guess that man is around 50-60 years old wich fits the image of a leader that stays in the background for me.
by BlueMue
Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Information about *.MT7 format

I posted this on Xentax a while ago, but I think you people should be informed as well. Maybe anyone can finish this job.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11482

Here's the MAXScript by SkyBladeCloud:

clearListener()

fname = getOpenFileName \
caption:"3D Model" \
types:"3D Model (*.*)|*.*" \
historyCategory:"3D Model"
f = fopen fname "rb"

Skel = #()

fn ReadFixedString bstream fixedLen = (
local str =""
for i=1 to fixedLen do (
str+=bit.intAsChar (ReadByte bstream #unsigned)
)
str
)

fn readMeshSmall f =
(
Vertices = #()
TexCoords = #()
Weights = #()
Faces = #()

type = readlong f
vertexNum = readlong f

print vertexnum

for i = 1 to vertexNum do
(
x = readfloat f
y = readfloat f
z = readfloat f

vertex = point3 x y z
Vertices[i] = vertex

boneIndex = readlong f
unk = readlong f
weight = readfloat f

u = readfloat f
v = 1 - readfloat f

texcoord = point3 u v 0
TexCoords[i] = texcoord

print texcoord
)

for i = 1 to (vertexNum - 2) by 1 do
(
x = i
if(mod i 2 == 1) then
(
y = i + 1
z = i + 2
)
else
(
y = i + 2
z = i + 1
)
face = point3 x y z
append Faces face
)

msh = mesh vertices:Vertices faces:Faces tverts:TexCoords

mmesh = msh.mesh
buildTVFaces mmesh
for i = 1 to mmesh.numfaces do
(
setTVFace mmesh i (getFace mmesh i)
)
)

fn readBlock f numChunks offset =
(
fseek f offset #seek_set

for i = 1 to numChunks do
(
readMeshSmall f
)

)

readBlock f 0x22 0x120
print "------------"
readBlock f 0x1c 0x1380
print "------------"
readBlock f 1 0x22b0

fclose f
by IlDucci
Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's Room mapping in Source Engine [WIP]

I have resized Ryo's room, white/purple doors, bed and windows:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/487824553649387189/4883F6BCF947DF01538A510771E5F2925AEB9B2D/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/487824553649388815/ABF01C769B17525C77E0818DAF4D915F6DE357CA/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/487824553649390339/A94264D24EA159D4455481CBD762216534111D39/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/487824553649385196/062B518BAF963264614FCE9499B31CC50E3A08F5/
by Rafik
Fri May 16, 2014 12:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My Shenmue Origin Story Video

I got into Shenmue from one of those gaming magazines before the game came out. I was obsessed after reading the article and looking at the pictures. I got Shenmue as soon as I could after it was released. It did not disappoint!
by _StreetSonic_
Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My Shenmue Origin Story Video

Great video James, really entertaining!

I got into Shenmue aged 29 as soon as I brought a Dreamcast in 2000. I'd just moved house after a big 6 year relationship split, so had plenty of time to spare and emotions were up and down, it just came at the right time for me. I'd get home late at night from my shift work, the house was quiet, it was dark outside, I'd put on Shenmue and relax into it. I have said the same in the past; when I first stepped outside the Hazuki main gate and heard the freeroam music I felt the potential depth of Shenmue, I could feel it would be emotional too. I just stood still and listened for a while, looking round, seeing a cat down to the right of me. Many times I'd wake up at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning having fallen asleep in front of the TV, clutching the controller, to see the first person view out of the forklift of a wall that had stopped me as I'd nodded off whilst moving crates in Yokosuka! I too felt like this was a place I was visiting rather than playing a game... Hanging around Dobuita at night around Christmas, seeing the drunk Santa, taking my time with it all, soaking it in, checking out as much as I could about the people 'living' in these new places I found myself.

It was at this time I put Shenmue down for a while, for no other reason than the bug when working in Yokosuka. I believe it only affects the Pal version. A necessary cut scene couldn't be triggered if you delivered the crates by driving the 'wrong' route to and from the warehouse, so you'd find yourself in this endless loop of crate delivery. I worked in Yokosuka for perhaps 2 weeks (real life weeks!). Anyhow, not having the internet back then I couldn't get past it and eventually sold my DC and Shenmue. Some years later I re-bought them after finding the solution (you had to drive the route past the white van at least once to trigger the needed scene) and eventually completed it, then tracked down a copy of Shenmue II and the rest is history...

Like you I was already into Japan by the time Shenmue came out, but Shenmue really hammered home my interest in all things Nihon. Both games have left a massive lasting impression with me, like most people here. Sometimes I feel a bit odd about attributing so much to a game, but that's just how it is...
by DreamcastPast
Tue May 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

If you get caught by security too many times when trying to sneak into Warehouse No. 8 in the Old Warehouse district (Shenmue 1), you'll get a cutscene with the homeless man giving Ryo a few pointers on how to avoid the guards.

If you get caught a few more times, you'll get another cutscene of him giving Ryo a map of where the Warehouse and best places to hide are.

If you continue to fail, you will trigger the final cutscene with the homeless man walking Ryo to the front door of Warahouse No. 8, thus bypassing the guards altogether.
by Flatlandaniel
Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kowloon Walled City recreated as Arcade in Japan

http://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ka14.jpg

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/06/12/kawasakis-digital-kowloon-walled-city/

Every city has its bad parts and areas to avoid, but there’s no denying that these less favorable areas give even the poshest urban centers something to talk about. While Kowloon Walled City no longer exists, its fixture in popular imagination will likely persist for decades, if not centuries.

In 1987, the city housed 33,000 people in 6.5 acres and was largely lawless, though informal social structures naturally emerged among the citizens. The city, as you might expect, has been the inspiration and setting for many fictional works, from books to movies to video games. And, now, it’s provided inspiration for a unique business venture in Japan.

That’s right, Kowloon Walled City now exists in Japan as a game center! Which, when you think about it, is either incredibly fitting or incredibly inappropriate. We’re still not sure which.

The game center, which is called “Digital Kowloon City,” is located in Kawasaki City, just south of Tokyo. Built in the spirit of the original Kowloon Walled City, the game center’s exterior and interior both look horribly rusted and uncared for.
by Ziming
Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic