Search found 55 matches

Return

Re: 2003 Members

Somehow I think that when someone makes a 2003 topic or some sort of nostalgia topic it's like a subconcious beacon is sent out on the internet and everyone magically returns to comment!! Haha. :D
by Birty
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...and now I remember why I don't post often. I tend to kill convo's :microwave: :hitrock:
by silent killer
Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure I've been here quite as long, I wasn't around RIGHT at the start, though I was on the forums before these. :D

EDIT: Fuck me, May 2003 on this one alone, so yeah, over ten years! :shock:

I used to make stupid jokes way back in the day of when 2 years was a "vet", about how I'd been there "over a decade, and never seen anything like this", etc. Now, I actually fucking can say that, if anyone were to set the bar...

That "these are the good old days" sig was very true as well, always liked that. :)

Though TBH, there is a damned great set of members posting here regularly again now. 8)
by St. Elmo's Fire
Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think I made a joke once about us being here when we are 30. Now I'm 30. :oops:

2003 I also owned my first PC. Now I am on my 4th.
by Bluecast
Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This place also had about 100 quality posters. Always some cool project going on, and the feeling of Shenmue III news coming any day was still looming. Still a fun place, but I can't imagine how it would be with all of those users here again.
by ShOzO MiZuKi
Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Where does all the time go? I've been through so many changes, both physical and psychological since registering on opening day that I could not say I am the same person that I was a decade ago. Sometimes I wish I could sit my younger self down for a long conversation to be blunt and honest about the struggles ahead. The more I think about it though, the more I think no amount of talk could have made me the stronger person I am today. Only through struggling through some of the hard times and having my heart broken was I able to be forged into who I am now.

I suppose if nothing else at least my spelling isn't quite so bad as my first post. :P

:shock: 10 years man. I know there is still a few been around longer. AxM,SEF,Ziming,Bambi and maybe a couple others.

OHHHH so I'm one of the "and a couple others" now huh. That's like being lumped in with "and the rest" in the Gilligan's Island intro. :sad:
by Sonikku
Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Been rocking up since the days of Ryo's Place
by Shotaro Kaneda
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unpopular Opinions

I can just imagine the kind of hilarity that would ensure if there was a cure for mortality and with it all healthcare woes. :lol: Politicians would lament no one on social security dying, ever . The powerful pharmaceutical industry would call in their campaign donation favors to make such a thing illegal to preserve their business model of making drugs people have to take every day to keep their illnesses temporarily at bay. Fox News would call the cure "anti-business" and punishing of the success of job creators. It would turn life as we know it upside down. :P
by Sonikku
Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Mike! Glad to see your bike hasn't run out of fuel after all these years. You should tell us your secret and become a champion of world peace. :shock:
by Sonikku
Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Zero 2010 - Download link

Can I just ask why do all forums hate old topics so much or off topic, It just makes them feel like politically correct prison yards and just horrible dictating places to be. I love forums that like old topics or off topics. Am I the only one? :shock:
by mrslig100
Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

I'm just gonna go- oh almost forgot
by Bluecast
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Massive Kudos To The Frequent Forum Members

There's that Hang On avatar! Good to see ya Mike!
by Peter
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's official - Sony helping Shenmue 3 a little with funding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZzuTwTEUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dL198n2d0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhW-1TRJ54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgiRIR07qU

Adam Boyes confirms Sony will provide some funding towards Shenmue 3, but we need to provide funding too to make Shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki envisions.

Credits goes to Riku and Xandui and the fine folks at NeoGAF. Thanks guys.
by Henry Spencer
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Share your Thoughts on this Past Month

Wow guys, what an insane and unexpected journey this has been. All of a sudden we are all thrown into a situation where we have to come up with cash we had no idea we would be spending shortly over a month ago. And look at what we have achieved in that time? With no prior knowledge that this kick starter would be happening, we have managed to put 6.3 million dollars on the table from each and every one of us collective effort! Im just blown away.

My inner Shenmue fan is just burning with excitement and joy and satisfaction and relief and closure and it just feels like after years and years of speculation it can be put to rest and history been made in the process! I am just happy with the way everything has gone, we got the paypal option everyone was wanting, its like everything has gone as well as it possibly could have, and the drama and hate couldnt even stop it from breaking records. Everyone knows about shenmue now, and has to respect it.

The feelings over this past month were deep and meaningful, I always just felt so optimistic about it, and I just let myself sink back into this community and watched the streams and spent time with you guys again and it just really brought back many feelings from this community that I havent felt in a decade. Like holy shit, we are actually talking about Shenmue again, we have new information to discuss on a daily basis. All of our lives here got flipped upside down in the past month, and some how its been a great great thing in my eyes, but I am still looking forward to being able to relax and start the waiting process for Shenmue 3.

To everyone here Thank You and Cheers! :beerchug:
by AnimeGamer183
Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ouch, the comments on the youtube trailer are harsh...

Like Theif was saying, we have now reached relevance in the gaming world again.
The project, Yu Suzuki, the fan community.. we are all open game now for trolls, fanboys and ignorant know-it-alls.

-The game isnt on Xbox and is console exclusive on PS4? = We will have Xbox fanboys try and discredit the worth of the game.
-The game doesn't have teh b3st gr4f1x evar?!1 = Looks like pong.
-They never heard of it before? = Doesn't matter whatever its like, it sucks anyways.
-They don't understand how the funding/development works? = Dr. Evil is controlling everything behind doors.

Eventually one of us are going to have a brain aneurysm fighting against the nay sayers. I will probably be that person eventually. Until then I'm going to save my energy for when the game is out and reviewers start slamming it for whatever dumb reasons.
by Axm
Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanking the dojo and it's members

Hello.
I am a new member to the dojo, pleased to meet you all. I finally decided to create an account given the recent events (shenmue 3 existing). Although i never registered i have been visiting the dojo over the years in order to remind myself that i wasn't alone in loving this game.
Like many others, i had given up hope of ever playing any new shenmue game, but you guys kept the hope alive and maintained your commitment to it.
Thank you, it's because of you that the kickstarter exists, it's because of you that the story can continue.

May the dojo live forever.

Sorry if the texts has any mistakes in spelling or grammar, being portuguese, english is my second language.
by zema
Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The miracle of Shenmue III

I was just pondering this a bit, and I thought it might be fun to look at all the borderline-miraculous circumstances that coalesced to bring us the success we just had on Kickstarter and the resurrection of this franchise from seeming oblivion. In all seriousness, some pretty remarkable things had to happen to get us to this day. And some pretty amazing coincidences as well.

Firstly, and most importantly of all of course, the undying passion that the fans have kept alight for far longer than most would have for any other IP. I mean when you really look at it: 14 years. That's the difference between being 16 years old and 30 years old. That's the difference between high school and being a 30-something adult with children. How many people hold on to the love of something that long? Especially something that wasn't exactly a raving mainstream success?

It's not like it's a mainstream, popular thing to be a Shenmue fan in 2015 (well... it might become one now of course!) It's not like we're constantly reminded of it or get it reinforced by the media or our peers (except in communities like this one.) No, it has been entirely up to us to grit our teeth and slog through the years, carrying a seemingly futile torch for this video game. That we did that is remarkable!

Secondly, the length of time itself. How many other examples are there of ANYTHING this old in entertainment years (entertainment properties age fast) that get resurrected? I can think of only a rare handful, all of which were far more popular than Shenmue. Star Trek. Star Wars. X-Files. And those all had corporate backing. They weren't independent affairs, and they had massive media exposure and vast audiences. That people are even still TALKING about Shenmue, let alone planning to bring it back today is just astounding.

Thirdly, the many, many times Yu tried to get the game - or something Shenmue related (Shenmue Online, Shenmue City, etc.) - made, but couldn't get things off the ground. Normally when a creative force of his caliber and renown tries so many times to do something and they can't, they go on to something else. They don't doggedly hold onto a single-minded determination to get that one thing made for over a decade. Granted he did some mobile stuff, but by and large, his focus has been Shenmue. That he finally succeeded is miraculous in its own right.

Fourthly, fans petitioning Sony at just the right time. Sony's "building the list" initiative led to people speaking up and seizing the opportunity to try to get Shenmue noticed by a big company again, in some way, shape, or form. That in and of itself isn't that surprising. But what's amazing is that Yu had been considering Kickstarter for a few years, and seriously investigating the possibility of getting the game done that way. He said repeatedly that the game needed "the right opportunity" for it to work out. It was the timing of fans petitioning Sony, Sony reaching out to him, and E3 allowing him a soap box, that FINALLY provided that "right opportunity" and the rallying cry that could finally give the game a real chance of securing the funding it needed.

Fifthly, Sega allowing Yu the right to make Shenmue 3. They didn't have to do this. There are other examples of companies asking IP holders to let them do something like this, and them saying no, and sitting on said IPs and doing nothing with them. Sega has been pretty lax about letting people at least try, though. Sega's not perfect and hasn't exactly ingratiated themselves to gamers in recent years, but this one aspect of their behavior is really cool and should be applauded. Especially since, other than any potential good PR or future Shenmue related releases they can use this as a springboard for, they have no financial stake in doing it that we know if.

Sixthly, the PS4 physical copies through Kickstarter. Another example of a big company doing something they didn't have to do. Sony isn't going to see a dime for those physical copies, and we know they're the ones handling publishing (presumably PS4 porting) so in short, they're throwing money away with each of those physical copies. Just to help the Kickstarter out. Again, yes, admittedly, this gives them good PR, and the more successful the game is the more money they theoretically stand to make once its released on PS4, but it's still a risk and something they didn't have to do. It's pretty respectable.

Penultimately, breaking the record for most funded game precisely when we did. We broke the record just before dawn on the west coast of the U.S., where many major gaming sites and companies have their headquarters. Arguably, this is what gave us a huge final wave of publicity that launched the surge we witnessed throughout the final day. We were always going to exceed what we had made the previous day, but over 900K? That's publicity in my opinion. That it worked out precisely when it did is amazing indeed.

And last but not least... we finished on 6.333 I mean... REALLY? Seriously! Shenmue 3. 3rd of the month #SaveShenmue campaign. 30 on the 3rd. And we finish on 6.333? Tell me that's not the least bit improbable! Lol.

In short... the journey to Shenmue 3's Kickstarter success has been amazing, especially considering all the obstacles it had to overcome. I consider it a literal miracle, and a once in a lifetime event that I will remember forever. Seriously, this is the stuff of legends. Things simply don't ever work out this way in life. That they did for Shenmue 3, is kismet.
by Anonymous81
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How Shenmue has been important to me for my entire life.

I'm a bit of a strange Shenmue fan. When the first game came out, I was only two years old. However my brother had a Dreamcast and Shenmue and I always watched him play it. A few years later, I too began to play the game, but being a very young child the most I ever did was buy toy capsules as I didn't even know that there was a story to progress (I also thought that Ryo's name was Shenmue :oops: )

Soon we got an Xbox and the faithful Dreamcast was put away but I never forgot the game where you buy drinks and toys. That eventually blossomed into my love for Shenmue. As I got older, I realised that there was much more too the game and that there was a deep story to be found. I started looking into the game more, reading about the characters and watching other people play it online. My understanding and love for the series kept growing until I pretty much knew the entire plot and almost every detail.

But when the Shenmue III Kickstarter was revealed, I realised that I never did revisit the game for myself. I never sat down with the intention of playing it on my own and taking in everything at my own pace. Tonight, despite being a huge fan of the game and franchise (which I know after reading this, some of you are going to debate), I finished Shenmue I on my own for the first time. It was completely different to watching a lets play. I feel that only now can I truly appreciate just how immersive the game is - something I didn't get from reading about the game or watching videos. It really feels as if I've rediscovered the game. It took me back to when I first started researching the plot properly. After doing such research I didn't think my love and passion for the franchise could grow any more, but I was very, very wrong and I realise now that whilst I thought the wait for III was a painful one, it was nothing compared to what a majority of you here were forced to endure. I got it easy.

So I want to thank the community for doing what they did to make Shenmue III a possibility. Whilst I'm a latecomer in loving the franchise (and an even later one for appreciating it fully) there's very little I wanted more than a third installment. I can only imagine how bad the people who have appreciated the game fully for 14 years wanted one. This is one of the most passionate fanbases I've ever seen and It's an honor to finally appreciate and hold the same passion.

I have a feeling that this is not the end of the road yet either. I still have Shenmue II to play. Maybe it will happen again.
by Jibby
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

So many old faces... I missed you guys! :puppydogeyes:
by Sonikku
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

what's up everybody? seeing all these names is a trip. I really really thought shenmue was dead and that the dojo and all the peeps here would be nothing more than a memory. sometimes life is cool
by santino
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Man, this is like a 10 year high school reunion.... Only this time you actually like all of the people
by Rhayno G.
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This thread has put a smile on my face.
by IwaoHazuki
Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Properly Upscaled to 4K

I've been wanting to do this for a while now. The results are better than I ever had expected, so I'd like to share with everyone.

A big discussion when talking about Shenmue and current technology is how to properly display the image. Some connect via VGA to a monitor which is the easiest solution and looks great. Most want to play on their TV's however, which as time goes on gets a little more tricky. I've done various methods including VGA on monitor, VGA to component on a CRT 4:3 HDTV, VGA pixel for pixel on an XBR-3, VGA to HDMI through a HD third party scaler (the one Adam used) and finally now this method which I can confirm absolutely demolishes every other way I've ever viewed this game.

So the first thing to know is you'll need to properly upscale the image, otherwise it'll look horrible. To properly upscale into HD (while retaining the correct aspect ratio) a third party scaler is required, which are niche and quite expensive. They get the job done, though obviously don't push the envelope any. The image quality is better than displaying pixel for pixel.

4K UHD is the same principal, though thanks to new technology becomes a bit easier (just more expensive, but is an investment). The two best scalers on the market as of today are the X-Reality PRO by Sony and the Revelation by SHARP. I won't go into major detail, but both are comparable and take different steps to achieving the same end goal.

Because the X-Reality PRO is an internal scaler, we're actually going to want to convert the VGA signal to HDMI raw without upscaling. From there the X-Reality PRO will do the rest and by the rest, I mean this . Do take a glance as it'll show the amount of tech the engine uses to upscale an image, something a third party scaler simply isn't capable of.

The end result is this and I don't think much more could be expected of a game developed from the late 90's onward, especially with a rendering resolution of 640x480. The X900B in general hides jaggies particularly well, but what stands out to me the most is the color range and depth. Granted this is a testament as to how far technology has come, but it also says a lot about the production value of Shenmue. It truly was ahead of it's time.

Here is the game (both Passport and Disc 1) running:

http://i.imgur.com/uqGJMtq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ffIGSOB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ANExBvJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jZ5Flfc.jpg

The equipment (though the most important tech such as the scaler is internal):

http://i.imgur.com/7NvZMHC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nXpDlyT.jpg
by Yama
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Gaiden on Hiatus

Shenmue Gaiden has been placed on hold for the time being due to Esspiral no longer working on the project. While, I currently have a some assets for the game, more are needed in order to achieve the desired result.

I'll have to wait for more assets to become available from the modding community

The project will be released at a later date. Stay tuned for further updates.

Apologies, if this disappoints some of you, but it is what it is.

In the mean time, look forward to other community projects coming out on a regular basis on the shenmuedojo forums.

Thanks again.

http://i.imgur.com/YDMwskX.png
November 2015 update
Greetings everyone. Today, I thought id update you all on the Shenmue Gaiden project. Everything is going according to plan and we're making great progress. It's certainly a very ambitious project, but i'm confident we can all make it a reality.
http://i.imgur.com/vJbGkUY.png

http://i.imgur.com/NsmXXW3.png

Shenmue Gaiden currently has two types of models, original and new. The upcoming demo will contain the original models, whilst the full game will contain the new detailed versions. These new renders take time unfortunately. Here's a sample of both types.

http://i.imgur.com/EtlN19o.png

The image on the right is the newer model. It has improved lighting, textures, details and special effects. Esspiral continues to improve and his work is simply amazing. I wish I could show you more :)

http://i.imgur.com/BA0DjKD.png

Fully animated weather has now been implemented into Shenmue Gaiden. Currently, only rain is functional. Expect more in the full game.

http://i.imgur.com/d6JmoEJ.png

Although this is a still image, the rain particles are fully animated when playing. This effect gives the game a more professional a authentic feel.

http://i.imgur.com/9uUtQUX.png

We now have the original Shenmue Modder, LanDC working with us. LanDC will be composing music for the title. I've heard a few sample tracks from him already and they sound GREAT!!!. Check out his latest public Shenmue remix below.

http://i.imgur.com/N0DBZvI.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7gkAC0dQU

In addition to, we've also been given some other great amazing music for the project. Samples to come in following updates.

http://i.imgur.com/g9XBb1X.png

I'm happy to say that after some testing, Characters will now be able to blink and have their mouths move when speaking in a conversation. Here is a prototype shot of one of the characters.

http://i.imgur.com/BZ4uKDm.png

http://i.imgur.com/PUKK8w2.png

During certain periods of the game, you'll be able to freely explore various areas. To do so, we've implemented a world map containing the playable areas of Guilin. Simply choose an area which you wish Ryo to visit and you'll be taken there instantly. Pick carefully, as each area will have different sub stories.

http://i.imgur.com/7V0h5PV.png

http://i.imgur.com/D15nNTQ.png

Throughout the game, you'll be given the option to spend more time with certain characters. You'll be given a ton of choices to choose from when engaging in conversation. Choose wisely. Each choice will alter the character's response and perception of you.

http://i.imgur.com/GcAENhi.png

http://i.imgur.com/K1N3dpo.png

We now have a sample script for those who wish to do voice acting. Please record as many characters as you'd like and upload your demo reel to youtube or email them directly to [email protected]

DOWNLOAD THE SAMPLE SCRIPT HERE
http://www.filedropper.com/shenmuegaidensamplelines

http://i.imgur.com/432rOpt.png

Finally, we'll be posting a new help thread in the community section. This thread will be use to request specific help from everyone. We can't make this project fully without your input. Please help as much as you can. Link to follow.

That's Novembers update for you. Please give us your feedback, suggestions and questions. If you'd like to help out on the project, please send us an email. [email protected]

Thanks everyone.
http://i.imgur.com/woLj5CP.png
Weekly update
- New Shenmue Gaiden Facebook Page
- https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueGaiden
- New staff
- Amazing new voice actress
- More Faqs
- Exclusive release items
- General updates to the page
- Click the following link for the full breakdown
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48739&start=26

Send all your questions and requests to [email protected]
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueGaiden

Hey Shenmue fans. So over the last few months, me and the amazing Esppiral have been working together on a special project. We originally planned to reveal it back in June but chose to delay it as Shenmue 3 was announced. Never saw that coming lol.

Without further delay, the Shenmue Community would like to present to you all.....

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2f1b/1n2d8flu354074fzg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/119f/h6m5os6gaxz7jstzg.jpg

INFO
Title : Shenmue Gaiden
Platform : PC/????
Release date : 2016 / (Demo 2015)
Game Type: Visual Novel
Story: Non-Cannon. (This is a fan made game. Do not take the story seriously. It's something we threw together and does not represent the actual Shenmue story at all.)

All images are a work in progress. Expect massive improvements as the year goes on.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3010/44j2m79m4vqbnsozg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ed88/e5uj3pwqrzi5952zg.jpg

Shenmue Gaiden will be a spin off non-canon story and take place just before Ryo reaches Shenhua's house in Guilin. A second story based in Hong Kong will also be included. Shenmue Gaiden will focus on the Shenmue Online characters. The lady in red and Lan di will be involved, however, they will take more of a background role. This will be done as we dont wont to interfere with the original story too much. We would like it to feel as authentic as humanly possible.

PLOT 1
After walking through the beautiful forest of Guilin for hours, Ryo and Shenhua finally reach their destination. This brief moment of peace is quickly interrupted as the pair are approached by a young girl begging for help. The Xiangjin village has been attacked by a woman dressed in red and group of men wearing black suits. Ryo and Shenhua make their way to the village to investigate. What sort of danger awaits them?

PLOT 2
After being defeated by Ryo and his friends, Dou Niu and Yuan are determined to get revenge. They team up with an old foe and seek out the Heavens and Xiuying within Hong Kong.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/58b4/au3guk13n9lg55gzg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5614/en2ppm9qtrv6pgpzg.jpg

Ryo - Hero of the series. He promises Lui Hui that he'll find the people responsible for the attack on Xiangjin village.
Shenhua - Heroine of the series. She is good friends with the children of Xiangjing village and accompanies Ryo throughout his travels in Guilin.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5a44/qb1g1a3ux6kwbgdzg.jpg

Lan Di - The main villain of Shenmue. His reasons for being in Guilin continue to be a mystery.
????? - Mysterious woman dressed in red.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/bd28/5hr6akhagja4245zg.jpg

Xiuying - One of the masters of Hong Kong. A very strong and independent woman. She is determined to stop Dou Niu and Yuan once and for all.
Ren - Leader of the Heavens. Nemesis to Dou Niu.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0af0/uihdvgsfv72g0mbzg.jpg

Luihui - An orphan child from Xiangjin village. She looks up to and respects Shenhua.
Shui - Another child from Xiangjin village. He is good friends with Lui Hiu
Maggie - A fearsome and mysterious woman

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8f91/ffouvzeq56b8z2mzg.jpg

Chi You Men - The Henchmen of a mysterious organisation.

More to be added.......

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/7933/8izbrdnoseo3vczzg.jpg

All characters sprites will be in full HD and receive noticeable upgrades to their models. Different expressions will also be added to their faces depending on the situation. This will allow us to deliver an extra layer of realism.

Lighting
Sprites will also receive various lighting effects depending on the background and time of day.

Animation
Finally, each sprite will have their eyes and mouths move when speaking or on screen.
Hopefully, all of these improvements will add an extra layer of realism and provide a better overall experience.

Character Model Improvements list
- HD Models
- Dynamic lighting
- Animated faces

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0bc6/3a1a00x3mn24jxwzg.jpg

All backgrounds in Shenmue Gaiden will be in FULL HD and optimized to support widescreen. Those who played the previous visual novel may have noticed the game running at a 800x600 resolution. This new entry will run at a minimum 1080x720 and support other resolutions.

The backgrounds will also received noticeable upgrades such as lighting and special effects.

Guilin Langhuishan Area

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c140/cwuijho436l9mlrzg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/119e/dz8zianlzz05jzzzg.jpg

Textboxes has been customized to reflect the feel of Shenmue. The text itself is a work in progress. Here are some sample images from the game.

Ren And Joy

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/fcb7/hngvfg7ttol5x52zg.jpg

Yuan and ???

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/157f/mk7ivn7e075ma7vzg.jpg

Chi You And Village Boy

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5239/zvqtou6cug4us3lzg.jpg

Ryo and M
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/959b/e1pq19oc6sgpjv9zg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/af06/3ugl8uwj069n1i2zg.jpg

Cutscene images will also make a return. However, this time they will be custom made and not directly ripped from Shenmue 1 or 2.

Ryo Training

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/a1b7/n3nqmhutnq0949azg.jpg

Ryo and Shenhua by a campfire

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d786/8994y1vrkjtp8rxzg.jpg

Shenhua

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/7215/kxmmo3ubjbg11ygzg.jpg

Ryo and Shenhua walking through the forest

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8f69/9oxy0lcayfubbrzzg.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c006/20j9ndolvmdp7n9zg.jpg

Mechanics / Others

Shenhua's House
Each night, you'll return to Shenhua's house. Before you go to sleep, you'll be able to discuss the current events of the story, along with having a general discussion about every day life.

Shenhua will also teach you the game's system mechanics and give you advice about future events.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1655/8qrncb8n5ew7swvzg.jpg

Choices, Choices, Choices

Image maps
Certain sections of the game will give you options to explore various areas at your leisure. Each path leading to a different area of the game.

Conversation choices
Those who played the first game knows that it was full of conversation choices which led to different responses. This game will have the same features but expand on them further.

Voiced characters
One feature we would really love to include is voiced characters. We would love the community to contribute to this. Adam Koralik, his girlfriend and others have already expressed their interest in doing voice over work.

Jobs
More unique jobs than the first visual novel.

??????

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d98c/ezx02fkxubbbqigzg.jpg

Music will consist of tracks from Shenmue online, Shenmue Orchestra, Fan made music and Shenmue 2 Guilin music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWm8Gml8w4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9rIfVbMqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7gkAC0dQU

More info to be revealed soon!!!

http://i.imgur.com/uBEeiOP.png

Q - What type of game is this?
A - This is a visual novel title. A visual novel is an interactive narrative driven game using static images, text and sometimes video clips. Think Pheonix Wright.

Q - Why did you make this?
A - This is a passion project and was made for the Shenmue Community. We haven't had a Shenmue game in 15 years, so we thought it would be nice to create one.

Q - How many people do you think will play this title
A - Not many. Maybe around 50 - 100.

Q - The character portraits look strange?
A - Esspiral is practically remaking the character models. Its hard work. Expect them to improve in the final game.

Q - Copyright /Sega/Ys net/Cedric Biscay
A - This is a non profit simple fan game. There are hundreds of Sega fangames all over the internet. That said, if Sega, Yu Suzuki, Cedric Biscay or anyone else involved with Shenmue want us to stop the project, then we will cancel it immediately. No questions asked.

Q - How did you make Niao S......i mean the lady in red
A - Me and Esspiral broke into SEGA HQ and stole the plans for Shenmue 5. In all seriousness, Esspiral has put a ton of work into creating this model. The result is magnificent as you can see.

Q - Can I help on the project?
A - Absolutely. Scroll down to the bottom of the thread and see the list of available jobs. Whichever one suits you, send us an email and we will go from there.

Q - You shouldn't interfere with the Shenmue story
A - This game is non canon and will focus on the characters that have been written off from the series (Shenmue online characters). Lady in red and Lan di will take a more background role.

Q - Can you make chapter 2? (Ryo traveling to Hong Kong via boat)
A - Its possible. One day, we may try it.

More FAQs coming soon....

http://i.imgur.com/mLqvVcR.png

The following individuals have shown interest in taking part in the Shenmue Gaiden project. More staff will be added in the coming weeks. Some individuals may want to withdraw from their current positions in the future. Staffing not final. Wishlist staff are the ones we would like to recruit. Current staff, please email us regarding any additional info. [email protected]

http://i.imgur.com/eKs3MjB.png http://i.imgur.com/YfW6JmU.png http://i.imgur.com/ZcW9B5Z.png
- ShenSun (Producer/Director)
- Esspiral (Producer/Director)
- David Diville (Shenmue Master/French coordinator)

Wishlist
http://i.imgur.com/kItuLD1.png http://i.imgur.com/oGzY3AL.png http://i.imgur.com/HUlPP3h.png
- Shengoro James (Shenmue 500k coordinator)
- Ziming
- Yama

http://i.imgur.com/DijpcKE.png

A sample of various phrases/lines/part of the script will be sent out to the voice over team in the coming weeks. Casting of characters will then take place.

http://i.imgur.com/S1VWA39.png http://i.imgur.com/RfZJjlR.png http://i.imgur.com/kItuLD1.png http://i.imgur.com/n9JOBuL.png http://i.imgur.com/ebFmJYB.png http://i.imgur.com/VlABMCN.png http://i.imgur.com/ZcW9B5Z.png http://i.imgur.com/xfp5QCp.png http://i.imgur.com/K9D21dN.png http://i.imgur.com/vUWrTH7.png http://i.imgur.com/ZXT5gdL.png http://i.imgur.com/xbtqFGV.png
- Adam Koralik & Mrs Claus
- Adoxographist
- Shengoro James
- Laura Eliza
- Axm
- David Diville
- Ceej & Brother
- T'Pei
- Heather Chu Bishop
- Giorgio
- Ryo911
- Bryan Figueroa
- More to be added.....

Shown interest. Awaiting Confirmation.
http://i.imgur.com/HSoSKzO.png http://i.imgur.com/LRClNnN.png
- Eternal Dragon
- Happy Console Gamer

Wishlist

http://i.imgur.com/X5oqc4S.png

http://i.imgur.com/YfW6JmU.png http://i.imgur.com/p4EeY2R.png
- Esspiral
- Riken productions

http://i.imgur.com/t42a5I4.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ad0Ppqx.png http://i.imgur.com/gJunkH0.png
- Matthew Velazquez
- François Bilodeau
- More to be added

Needs to confirm
http://i.imgur.com/5U88sTt.png
- David Formston

Wishlist
http://i.imgur.com/N0DBZvI.png
- LanDC

http://i.imgur.com/uowhKt3.png

http://i.imgur.com/YmujWHr.png http://i.imgur.com/gJunkH0.png http://i.imgur.com/gJunkH0.png
- Miles Prower
- Adrian Farrugia (Editor)
- Redandwhite

http://i.imgur.com/YyU9uJT.png

http://i.imgur.com/jmUcEnu.png
- ShenmueP1

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9eb9/2wb07e1djc7hothzg.jpg

If you would like to help on the project, let us know. This is a community project, so all help is welcome.

Current jobs
-- Voice Overs (To voice certain characters in the game)
- Fan Artist (To draw Shenmue fanart)
-- Voice Ripper (To rip voice files of specific characters from Shenmue 1/2)
-- Editor (Read the script for spelling and grammar mistakes)
-- Video Editor (Create trailers for game and to demonstrate updates on youtube)
-- Photoshop Designer (Create wallpapers and promotional images for the game)
-- Music Creator (To remaster or create original Shenmue inspired soundtracks)
--Any other unique skill that you may have, let us know. Contact us at [email protected] or message us through Shenmuedojo

http://i.imgur.com/uPvOqpJ.png

The following is the development plan for the rest of the year. If we stick to this vague schedule, we should be able to release a demo on Christmas day. Some crucial info may be missing. Updates to the page as we notice them.

October 21st - 31st 2015
• Base game / engine built. (COMPLETE)
• import all current backgrounds / characters (COMPLETE)
• complete basic structure for Guilin demo chapter (COMPLETE)

November 1st - 30th
• Incorporate events, ?, story branches, social events, image maps, music etc.
• Shenmue Gaiden update on the 3rd

December 1st - 10th
• proofread script
• Shenmue Gaiden update on the 3rd
• hand script over to David Deville for French translation
• Receive final demo script
• Have script voiced by voice actors

December 19th - 24th
• Have script voiced by voice actors
• TEST TEST TEST
• MORE TESTING
• Send copy to david and esspiral for approval.

December 25th
• Eat Christmas dinner and open presents
• Release Shenmue Gaiden Demo
• Presents for all.

December 31st - 1st January
• New announcements
• Feedback
• Party

Updates will continue, with major updates being released on the 3rd of each month.

Many Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/S7KOcAc.png

If you would like to speak to me or Esspiral about the project, jobs, or anything else then please send us a private message through the Shenmuedojo forums. Alternatively Email us at [email protected]

Like our Facebook Page to get updated on new developments

Shenmue Gaiden Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueGaiden

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9847/554w3szx840pyq0zg.jpg

Thanks a million guys. We hope you all enjoy the game.

#SaveShenmue

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1e01/v7fdugltvd95yyazg.jpg
by ShenSun
Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Does The Gang Edition know about this recent news?

Hey James - yes, the movies are all still on sale at our website, though at the moment, I'm working on putting them all on a single blu-ray disc and releasing that in the next week for the 1 or 2 people who might actually want to buy it, lol.

To answer the original question of this topic - yes, we obviously heard about Shenmue III and are very excited to finally see this game come out. It was a crazy night for us when the E3 announcement was made, because at the same time, the Chicago Blackhawks were winning the Stanley Cup Championship. So I was engrossed in the game with my friends, then went on Facebook to celebrate only to see my feed blowing up about Shenmue III of all things! I called Terry in LA right away, first to yell about the Hawks (he was watching the game too) and also to yell about Shenmue III.

Another movie is pretty unlikely at this point, but I'll never say never - a lot can happen between now and the release of Shenmue III. Several cast members from Shenmue III: TGE were at my 30th birthday earlier this month, and we all talked about how ridiculous it is that this game is coming out after all these years and how even more ridiculous it would be for us to try doing another movie with everything that's going on in everyone's lives. We did take this picture however:
http://www.gangentertainment.org/files/shenmue3cast.jpg
In case you can't recognize us cause we're so fucking old, that's Niao Sun, Ren, Wong, me, and Shen Hua.

I'll also say I'm very excited to be a part of the Shenmue documentary that's currently in production. Adam and his crew came out to interview me in Chicago a few months ago, and they just interviewed Terry in LA last week. Pretty neat!
http://www.gangentertainment.org/files/mikedoc.jpg
http://www.gangentertainment.org/files/terrydoc.jpg
by Ocky27
Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

And if nothing is at E3 2017? Will you make a wait for PSX thread? When do we stop waiting to see progress of the project?

Can I ask...what alternative are you proposing to patiently waiting?

Do you want to harass team Yu so they know your displeasure? Are you going to take your toys home with you and say "no shenmue 3, I'm defunding it because I wanted more info!"?

Because if it's no to either of those...you are better off forgetting about the game until it comes out or is announced on its own schedule.
by ChiefNeo
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did it!

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15235430_10209383049707367_408322486785390295_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15325396_10209383050467386_6269151714112376159_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15259608_10209383050387384_2213353802852507819_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15235774_10209383050507387_7715175948900396244_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15304305_10209383050747393_4137575364944112872_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15271988_10209383051267406_4447729336123238937_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15235750_10209383051707417_994623657255447362_o.jpg

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15289246_10209383052467436_2245536811560703801_o.jpg

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
by LCrespo
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About to Play Shenmue for the First Time

August 8, 2016

I just finished my first session of Shenmue. Here are my initial thoughts.

After an exciting intro, I quickly discovered that unraveling the mystery of my father's murder would not be an easy one. I quickly found myself wandering around my neighborhood, getting used to the controls. One of my neighbors found an orphaned kitten and, not knowing how the menus worked, accidentally chose to give it tofu instead of the obvious fish. Oh well, lesson learned. I did learn that the kitten's mother was killed by a speeding black car...not unlike the one Lan Di, my father's killer, and his thugs were driving...

I asked some neighbors about the men and their car, and although I got a lead on someone who saw the car, I couldn't find them before nightfall. I headed home for the night, feeling very unsure of myself.

I spent the remainder of the evening exploring my home, and just as I was starting to get frustrated, I found something very interesting in father's study. A letter addressed to myself, giving some advice on life. It definitely seems like he knew what was coming.

I decided I would not get much done at night, so I called it a night. I went to bed and saved my game.

I am quite impressed by how atmospheric the game is. It's a very unconventional game, with a leisurely pace, but also quite charming. Even just walking around my home, I found a cutscene where Ryo saw an old tree that reminded him of happier days, training with his dad as a child. While walking around town, I bought a few capsule toys from a vending machine. My first one was a weight. Ryo's unimpressed reaction mirrored my own. Luckily, trying again yielded better results, earning me figurines of Sarah from Virtua Fighter and Amy Rose from Sonic. I decided to not spend any more money for now.

So far, I am pleasantly pleased with the game. I will definitely be playing more in the near future.
by Arjak
Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to improve the Kickstarter campaign, a community ef

I dont see any reason to inprove the ks at this stage. Let it run its course and lets get down to the serious marketing for the game.
by ShenSun
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fan feedback scares me.

It should scare everyone. Fan feedback will in the end undermine the author's vision and artistic control of his own work. If people have concerns with game mechanics, bugs and other in game problems there are professional testers for that kind of stuff. That's what their job are for. Damn me if this entire game becomes something like what happened to Mass Effect 3, where its ending was hated by fans so Ubisoft caved in and altered the original vision for the story.
by sand4fish
Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At this point, I'm guessing that if you criticize Shenmue III upon release you might even be banned. How dare you criticize our lord and savior!

Really? After you saying that Shenmue 3 deserves SO MUCH that it MUST have a E3 screening because it's an equal to a title like Final Fantasy VII Remake (without a solid base for such opinionated claim), you really dare to imply that the rest of us are simply fanboys?

Sandfish said I want constant promotion. I really don't. I just want an update on the game and do not find the recent updates satisfactory. I do expect to see an update before E3, but if they don't have one as the OP of this thread surmises, then they have left their hands to fate.

I find my position fairly logical and reasonable. Certainly, after having the support of over 70k people world wide, Yu and his team would agree that not having an big update on how the project is going before or during E3 would be unacceptable. Only a complete fanboy would argue otherwise.

If they haven't shown anything before and during E3 then I mean, it's on their inaction to show the fruits of their labor that has the sum of nearly 7 million dollars over of 70k people's hopes. The fact that they'd not show anything before or during E3 despite those numbers is begging for bad press anyways. Also, this has more to do with the trailer and more to do with what they're doing with peoples money if they have managed to miss two E3's in a row. Concern for the status of the development would legitimate, especially with a supposed December 2017 release date.

How would I know that you will not want more after your demands are met? When usually threats are attended to, it just means they work and now people feel like they gained power in their hands. It's just a natural course to continue doing so. And soon other people will follow (or did you think you are the only one with wants and needs?) Do you see the really DANGEROUS TREND you are trying to set here? Even if you don't follow through your intentions, others might think it's okay to threaten the development team to get what they want. When said demands can't be met, Ysnet will have to waste money and resources just for damage control and waste time (which is literally our money) that would be otherwise spent on making the game.

Please answer me this: What real difference does it make if a "substantial trailer" is shown RIGHT NOW or 2 years from now in the long run? After all people know the game has evolved to some extent, because some backers have already seen it. And there's simply no fact that keeping up with "substantial updates" (and of the like suggested documentaries and creation of in game items) will bring worthwhile money to cover its costs (unless you show me the numbers or statistics for comparison). But it's a logical conclusion that it will be detrimental to the final product, because the team will have to allocate more time and money (resources that we paid for) on making fans "happy" that could be focused solely on the development process of the game. The opportunity cost Yu chose in the end is the wise one, as seen with other successful Kickstarters. How am I a fanboy here? I really think what I wrote so far makes sense.

I noticed also that you, Himuro, wrote some post about how the entire campaign could be improved. First of all, most of the suggestions are just to keep fans "happy" while waiting for the final product and it does not improve on the game itself which is all we really care about in the end. Your jacket suggestion actually just makes the entire gaming process harder. Besides having to go through the trouble of creating such artifact, they have to test it throughout the final build for possible crashes and bugs. Plus it will be another added promise that Yu will have to fulfill to the backers in the end. Where does the laundry list stop for such a limited budget and small scale team? And FYI any company or organization has room for process improvement, including your workplace or business. There're entire jobs just focused on that area. So don't just go treat everyone like idiots as if no one knows what they are doing, but a few selected non fanboys. We don't even know at what capacity the jobs of the members from Awesome Japan extends to in the end. Probably Yu would have to raise their salary in order for them to perform according to your standards.
And if you are still so keen on improving whatever it's being done, why not do it yourself? Go draft those improvements and send to them. The team will surely make some good use of your improvement suggestions if it's within their job description and capacity. Otherwise talk is easy to go around and everyone just loves to play the boss.

The entire discussion is circular and no one is budging an inch.

Not circular at all. I have no beef with you. I apologize if any of this offends or insults you. I certainly know you are as passionate about Shenmue 3 as the rest of the community. My only intention is just to STOP YOU from planting these ideas to other people that just because you are a backer Ysnet has to listen to you. Threats are not okay. You are willing to take measures to your own hands while not having the consensus from the rest of the community. I just hope that with my posts people understand that no one here is a shareholder of the company and Ynet has no OBLIGATION whatsoever to entertain backers, and not even promote Shenmue 3. Their only obligation toward us all is to deliver a finished game some time in the future (no deadlines requirements, read carefully the stipulations of a Kickstarter project), and the respective perks for those who paid for them. Just let them do their jobs.
So far, the project is on track as some backers already witnessed further development of the game process, unless you want to doubt them. There have been consistent updates (in the form of small interviews mostly) just to let people know that the project is doing okay. There are simply no red flags at all.

Sorry for the long post and thank you to those who read it.
by sand4fish
Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reveal Shenmue 3 trailer to backers or public first?

I agree with the post above. Showing it only to backers is the same as limiting your target audience, and so forfeiting potential revenue that could contribute to investors and Yu's consideration on making a fourth game.
by sand4fish
Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but this thread made me smile :) Just to let everyone know, I still lurk here! Haha. Nice to see new Shenmue information circulating :)
by Trunks
Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone! I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but I made it. It's been great reading through your posts in this thread, reading about how everyone's doing these days. It's a great feeling. So many old names - a truly a nostalgic experience. I unfortunately hit some hard times and was homeless for some years. I'm back on my feet now, and have a decent little job (I run the inbound, outbound and retails departments of a logistics company), and I'm posting this on my very own iMac! How life throws it's twists and turns.

This place held an important part of my gaming crazy days. I'll never forget it. All the friendships, the epic debates about games, and even life, the silly little feuds we used to have with one another. Remember when I hated everyone's coloured text? Now it just makes the place feel like home. That's what the 'Dojo always was to me, I suppose. My internet home.

I used to post on one called Cubed3 then as well, but Shenmue Dojo was always better. We had a strange freedom here to talk about whatever we wanted, pretty much. We were also free to speak however we liked, offensive language and obscene humour be damned. There were never any parental controls as such. If someone got out of line, the mods handled it. But that person was often treated like a member of the family and forgiven. We sort of grew up together. Though I must have been eighteen or nineteen by the time I joined, I still had some growing up to do. :lol:

I actually hadn't heard of Shenmue III until today. I've really not played games hardly at all the past few years, and have not kept up with gaming news. I'm sad about missing the announcement, but to see that Shenmue III is being made, for real, no Kikizo-like rumour, no fan-made substitute - the real deal. I honestly pumped my fist in the air and shouted like LFC scored against United. Absolutely amazing. I never thought I would see the day, and it has been years since I gave a tuppenny fuck about anything to do with games.

I'm going to try and stick around, have only recently been getting into games again. Downloaded Steam and the Half-Life series. Times like this you regret getting a Mac :sad: My old PS3 would actually be a better option, lol.

Anyway, it's great to see you all!
by Martin
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Totally missed this thread. Whoops!

I was convinced that this community had broken their 401ks early to fund the kickstarter. I'm also becoming convinced that Shenmue is some sort of MKULTRA level indoctrination program to make us love the 80s. I never thought in 2016 that I'd be drinking craft beer at my local retro arcade and listening to synthwave while catching up on SIII news.

What a time to be alive.
by InsanityIsCrazy
Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long have you been on this forum ?

I was on the on the original forums, way back when Andy still ran the place, then Iwao Hazuki took over once we moved, that was a very long time ago
by Shotaro Kaneda
Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

To be honest I think it went downhill in the 2000s. Every song now has no funky tune like the 80s and the theme is pretty much about the same thing (partying and boyfriends), barely anyone writes their own music anymore, most of it has inappropriate lyrics and shit that doesn't make sense (remember when some rap songs were actually appropriate for families to listen to lol?), their voices are now fake and computerized, no one has a good/unique voice, every pop song has rap in it. Why is music so bad now? I can't believe that crap that most people like nowadays. Classical music/ jazz is actually smart music and people hate it. Everywhere I go extremely embarrassing melodies are played including instruments mixed together that just sound like a mess, also fucking Justin Bieber. For real, 2016 has absolute trash music compared to the glory days of classic music 1980s - 1990s. We are going backwards.

People have continued to say the exact same stuff you're saying all throughout time. Everyone always thinks the music they liked earlier in life was some kind of golden heyday in music history. You can go as far back as the 1800s, look at reviews for the music of Nicolo Paganini, and find people talking about how near-sacrilegious his music was, how terrible it was, how times had apparently changed for the worse and everything was going to hell. But if you played that same music for the average person today, and compare it to something that came before it, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
The only truth of it all is that music changes over time. Music doesn't get "worse." Sure, there's a lot of stuff out there nowadays that I'd consider absolute crap, but that's always been the case. For everything you consider to be good from a given era, there's usually an equal or greater amount that you'd hate from that same era. The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were all full of downright awful, simplistic music, aside from the things we actually like and remember.

I'd say the only thing that's truly changed is the method of music distribution. With the world being so interconnected nowadays, information as a whole is saturated throughout our culture, and music is a part of that.
Great music is still being made all the time, you just have to look for it . Dig past the crap. Experiment with different genres, look for music from other countries. You're talking about radio tripe, but that shit has always been pretty "meh." Look for things that aren't on the radio and you might find something great.
EDIT: Just realized AG said halfway the same thing, though I can't say I agree about music nowadays being all about the money; it is true, but that's always been the case.

Also:
Welcome to being old.
by OL
Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo OG Makes Return

I love how topics like this just bring us all back like magnets haha.
by Birty
Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

(APRIL FOOLS) Project Update #81: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Greetings backers!
Today we have something very special indeed for you.
Throughout this campaign, many people have voiced their concerns that newcomers to the Shenmue series may feel alienated. Currently, there is no easy or convenient way to play Shenmue I and II without original Dreamcast/Xbox hardware and that's something we'd like to change.

We don't have the budget to fund fully fledged HD remasters of the first two games. But we're not going to let this stop us from bringing new fans a way to enjoy Shenmue I and II.

After much hard work, we proudly present to you: Shenmue HD: The Choose Your Own Adventure novel!

https://i.imgur.com/G2vwAUj.png

A Story Retold:

Shenmue HD: The Choose Your Own Adventure is a complete retelling of the original two games in interactive novel form. Story and progression awaits you with every page turn. Much like the original video adaptation of the game, you can directly control Ryo's decisions and effect the way in which the story plays out.

https://i.imgur.com/WrGntty.jpg

New Features:

Shenmue HD: The Choose Your Own Adventure will also include extra features that were not previously available in the original games. An example of this is the ability to save anywhere in Shenmue I with the included 'Save Anywhere' bookmark!

https://i.imgur.com/mKn1IXo.png

Modding API:

And finally, here's something all you modders and hackers will love. For the first time EVER , an official modding API will be available for Shenmue I and II. With this powerful and flexible API you can do almost anything; from tweaking the story to your liking, to using our advanced 'book engine' to make something completely different. The possibilities are endless. The only limit is your imagination!

https://i.imgur.com/WqH7NS0.png

That about wraps up our special announcement. We hope that you're just as excited as we are for Shenmue HD: The Choose Your Own Adventure .
Be sure to catch us at E3 this June where we will have a playable demo available for the public to enjoy.

Many thanks for your continued support:
- The Awesome Japan Team and YS.NET

As always Dojo, have a great April!
by Jibby
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Corey Marshall currently set to record VO in late May

Thanks to mjq jazz bar for finding this out. It seems to have slipped through the net.

A few days ago Corey posted a status on Facebook, and a fan asked him when VO recording for the English dub begins. Corey replied that currently the plan is for him to begin in late May.

https://abload.de/img/cm2blankl9qvn.jpg

While it's possible things could slip, seems the intention is to begin recording ASAP.
by Spaghetti
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 will be $29.99

I think most of us would have paid full price for this, but at that price point it is even more accessible to the masses. You split the difference $15 for each game is an absolute bargain considering the content and second hand pricing on DC & OG Xbox. Just makes my spending less extravagant, which is a good thing.. as I’m getting all 3 releases & I don’t even own an Xbox One. This will reach way further than any Shenmue had done so in the past. Can’t wait
by Scribe86
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

At least we get to worry about SHD and S3 now. Just a few years we had fuck all regarding Shenmue.

I remember how devastated I felt after watching the 2014 Post Mortem Conference and reading depressing interviews like the 1Up interview in Yu's kitchen.

So take a moment to think about the dire situation the Shenmue franchise was in just a few years back. Then look at where we are now, lay back and enjoy the ride.
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic