Search found 102 matches

Return

Re: So I found my old account...

Yep, this was the first internet forum I ever joined.

It shows :oops:
by NeoShredder
Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PSA: Banks. Also, wake up UK! Shenmue 3 = £19 if pledge now!

Saw someone mention it on the Gaf and seemed like a good shout to peeps on here.

To avoid hassle with fraud protection/paperwork etc. it may be wise for people to notify their bank that there will be a large amount of money heading out to a foreign (in some cases) company in a weeks time, since we don't have a Shenmue III Kickstarter every month do we? :P

Also, I was honestly n00bish about the exchange rate. I think we can point this out to other UK gamers. Even though it clearly says "dollars" its been like "pounds" in my head all this time.

Right now:

£18 = Digital (EIGHTEEN QUID)
£38.45 = Physical (GREAT value)
£102.51 = Bonus Pack Tier <--my current pledge
£112.16 = Art Book Tier

I think we need to put the word out about this to British friends!

You wont get this value on release!

A tenner for an official art book! I'm upping my pledge right now!
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What does your username mean?

Because 17 year old me, having just started learning guitar, liked neoclassical shred-metal wankery music.
by NeoShredder
Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue I too SEGA?

Of course it's SEGA. Even the guy who played Iwao in the Japanese version was Segata Sanshiro, the Sega Saturn mascot!
by NeoShredder
Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Esppiral wrote:Image

If I could afford a new PC T_T.

:shock: =D>
by NeoShredder
Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Live on Nico Nico Douga 07/12

Switch wrote: Ok, here's the plan for handling the translation at the moment.

SquallAdv will be doing a live "as-it-happens" summary translation of the stream into English, and I'll be extending this afterwards as a full transcript to capture the detail.

Thanks for all your work guys! 8) =D>
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SOMETHINGS HAPPENING NOW

Edit: Sorry for the urgency. MSPaint like a madman. They had a break from the game which lasted ages, then just showed an image of 20 Yuan with Guilin in the background, the shenmue theme going and these:

http://i.imgur.com/GFpfsXG.png

http://i.imgur.com/7JWnD5X.png

http://i.imgur.com/jcxbaYL.png

http://i.imgur.com/Bsqco0B.png

I thought they'd cut to something early! WEll, these must be reference images from early research. They're back to the game now. Still interesting I guess
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aimless Gamer wrote: Bailu needs Toms hot dogs.

10/10 post. All those rowdy Cantonese food stands with their spit chickens couldn't compete.
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

I've been thinking about this and wanted to put my 2¢ in, but its a bit of a write up here so I have not posted my thoughts yet. Sorry in advance for the impersonal rambling.

First of all, before I am just labelled as an apologist, yes, I feel that the Kickstarter Ryo could have "looked better" (2bf, we never talk about what the trailer got RIGHT- I'm tempted to make another topic on this point). For a series that was known for all things, its groundbreaking graphics, I think we all wish they'd have gotten it perfect right away.

So why are YsNet seemingly struggling with the design of Ryo, THE MAIN CHARACTER?

It would be easy (provided they had access to all the assets) to copy and paste Passport Ryo or the Sega All-Stars Ryo (Which as Esspiral has just pointed out, had lower quality textures!) Nevertheless, I applaud YsNet for going at this with ground-up work on the design, even if it's going to take some work from here on in, to get it up to MODERN standards and expectations without looking like trash. We want to go BEYOND Passport Ryo. You can't do that just by adding polygons to an old model (Sumo Digital took that the maximum it could be). You need to revisit the very design.

Nevertheless, I think Ryo's design is in a bit of a bind, and I think this partially explains the 'quality' of the KS model in contrast to the rest of the trailer. The real problem is two-fold:

> With today's tech, they are going forward into an "uncanny valley" effect for fans, going from a DC-era Ryo (yes, Unreal Engine 4 in 2017, should easily go beyond the Passport Ryo) we all know and love to modern gaming's hyper-realistic tech demos of individual pore-modelling and facial capture, and
> He is a made-up character, evolved from a character from gaming technology's earliest CGI work, with no real life reference to his design.

Ryo isn't modelled on a real life person, rather he is just an idea bourne out of concept art, and the Virtua Fighter (honestly primitive by today's standards) CG image of Akira for the original Virtua Fighter. See below.

http://s29.postimg.org/b2upshpmf/Ryo_Evolution2.jpg

To contrast with a completely different game series, the design of Solid Snake in Metal Gear varied from being based on actors ranging from Kyle Reese, Christopher Walken, Mel Gibson until he had an established "look".

http://i.imgur.com/Q6E3iCk.jpg

Even so, compare MGS3 (or 4) Snake (PS2) to MGS5 Snake (PS4) where (particularly with the motion captured facial expressions) he looks more like his voice actor, Keifer Sutherland.

Furthermore, Snake's look is based on adult Western action movie stars from Hollywood, of which is there no short supply. Anybody think of a Ryo Hazuki lookalike?

Simply put, Ryo's model and design is stemmed from the earliest work/tech demos of polygon graphics . He has been "designed up" as opposed to "designed down".

Watch this clip of the Project Berkley video, regarding Shenmue 1's development during the 90's. I find it illuminating and very relevant to the current debate. Even for the original game, they had to make clay models to truly convey Yu's 'vision', as the sketches and CG renders weren't enough to produce satisfactory results for the SATURN model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu86tlnFLVE#t=26m26s

I think this goes a long way explaining the 'poor' quality of this incarnation Ryo. This problem is now amplified with today's new graphical expectations (let alone two years from now). I think Yu can't just copy and paste 'Clay model' Ryo with it looking cartoonish by today's standards. But of course he's making it for the fans, fans who have certain expectations of what Ryo looks like.

The difference now is that graphics have advanced so much the standard for today's new IPs is basically to draw inspiration from real life, which would have just been inconceivable/impossible before outside of the concept art stage. This is not a bad thing for games, after all this is what real artists do. The technology now basically allows it in full.

Let's consider this trend in some of the most graphically acclaimed new games of late:

Ellie in The Last of Us = Ellen Page
Lara Croft in the Rebooted Tomb Raider = Camilla Luddington
Johnathan Irons in Advanced Warfare = Kevin Spacey
Solid Snake = Keifer Sutherland

Again, I ask- Can anyone think of a Ryo lookalike?

Now, we were all very impressed with John Sweeney's Ryo "render" for his Cook and Becker print:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Mqcj4XIIkhs/maxresdefault.jpg

But if you watch the 'making of' video, you can see that the image ( from behind so you can't see "Ryo's" face, I might add ) was derived from a photograph of some dude posing in his apartment :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqcj4XIIkhs#t=0m32s

Anyway, I am fully confident the model will surpass this design technically. However, having been so long since the Dreamcast days, I'm sure this is going to be offset by design. For a project that's barely gotten off the ground, I think this, at least in part, explains the difficulty here .

They want to technically 'surpass' the original Ryo, but they also want fan service . If so, perhaps we shouldn't be suprised at all if Ryo looks somewhat 'different' in the final game.

So why did they show it at all? I don't think the model was in there to impress anyone technically, not at all. In fact if you notice, the actual E3 reveal CUTS OFF before the point Ryo is showed. I think it was there to show, even at this early stage to us as THE FANS, who have had so many broken promises/leaked images of newsprint/concept art over the years that this is a REAL GAME being made that needs to be kickstarted to the best it can be. Here it is, this is where we are, this is were we want to go etc. It was a statement that it wasn't a mobile game, nor Dragonball Z online with fancy CGI fireworks. THE ACTUAL SHENMUE III FULL 3D ADVENTURE EXPERIENCE.

The more I think about it, while it is a shame that it couldn't have been as groundbreaking as Shenmue was in the first place on the Dreamcast, the more impressed I am that this was displayed. They are an indie studio without the resources to make fancy CGI trailers. They showed us SOMETHING REAL, IN GAME. Anyway, imagine the backlash to an indie Kickstarter whose concept video was based off a fully produced CGI trailer (what kind of scam is this?!) or a bunch of sketches (what is this crap! Let us see the game!). They made an honest effort to show actual STUFF. Of course, I haven't even mentioned the fact that it's essentially gone from back-room meetings in different countries and hush-hush events by Yu-san himself, getting confirmation, THEN having to produce a trailer ready in time for E3.

They are NOT cutting and pasting a Dreamcast Ryo. They are making a game to try and meet fans expectations whilst being technically superior. But as we can see, even from the old project berkley video, this is always going to be a challenge for the reasons I've stated about Ryo's design. It's going to be a challenge. I'm rooting for Yu-san 8)

EDIT: Sorry, I should have make this clear, my intention is not to shit all over the DC Ryo model. I love that model, it's our Ryo . It holds up even today. I'm just trying to talk about graphical standards in gaming as it has evolved since, and what would be 'expected' from the Unreal Engine in 2017.
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Weren't they just hiring for a 3D Character Model person just recently? So, if they haven't even hired somebody to do that yet, then it would certainly explain how bad his current model is. The "updated" model was just Photoshop, so, erm, yeah, they haven't really done the model proper yet. I was pissed initially too, but since the guy who's supposed to be doing it isn't even hired yet, I'm not worried. Let's wait till next year to voice our disapproval if it's no good.

Obviously they have 3D modellers on staff or someone who can. The trailer didn't just come out of thin air. I'm convinced its a matter of progress and last minute timing. If they'd done the 'model proper' it would obviously be in the trailer.

You were? To me that looks like shit, nothing like Ryo or Shenmue at all. Looks like Jin Kazama in a poster for the latest Tekken game or something like that.

I think your comment might kind of encapsulate my point about the transition from 'last-last gen' to the 'real life' inspired 3D models we get nowadays in modern games. Would it actually BE 'Ryo' as we know if they did that, whilst being 'technically' superior regardless? How is the design going to do that?

They can also "modernize" the old models just as well, make the materials pbr, add some bump/detail/occlusion maps, create some nice hair shaders, and you get "modern looking".

So the standard for Shenmue III is to literally look as good as the hypothetical HD ports of Shenmue I and II?

for example Shenmue npcs often had a more realistic approach than main characters (even with less polygon count).

Technical limitations of the Dreamcast. Those NPCs didn't animate or express themselves very well.

2bf the BEST models that I believe DO hold up are Chai and Lan Di, no doubt. In fact Chai looked nearly as good on his Saturn debut!
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (14/07, Charcoal Burner's Hut, Baisha

~New image~

Charcoal burner's hut in Baisha

8) Neat.

Anybody good to translate that text in the image?
by NeoShredder
Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PSA: Banks, get on it in advance for your pledge money!

Bumping for visibility!

Also, I was honestly n00bish about the exchange rate. Even though it clearly says "dollars" its been like "pounds" in my head all this time.

Right now:

£18 = Digital (EIGHTEEN QUID)
£38.45 = Physical (GREAT value)
£102.51 = Bonus Pack Tier <--my current pledge
£112.16 = Art Book Tier

I think we need to put the word out about this to British friends! You wont get this value on release!!!

A tenner for an official art book! I'm upping my pledge right now!
by NeoShredder
Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

I don't know if it's just lighting trickery, but I think they've actually been working on the Ryo model:

http://i.imgur.com/3YLXlDl.png

Notice the fact that throughout the video, his face is actually more animated as well....the way he turns his head sharply is definitely reminiscent of Ryo's body language.

For what it is in its context it's great! Starting to show what the Unreal Engine's gonna do! The only two criticisms I feel are appropriate for what it is:

> His head clips through his jacket when he turns it left
> His eyes, when his head goes right, get baked in shadow and look a bit creepy for a split second

But other than that, I don't get what the complaints are about! :mrgreen:
by NeoShredder
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The new trailer is bad ...

The only thing that really irks me is the clipping on Ryo's jacket when he turns his head. Other than that, I enjoyed this trailer and had no problem with it for what it is.
by NeoShredder
Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep this in mind when watching the Kickstarter finish!

Peter wrote:Pledges made within 24 hours of the deadline cannot be cancelled, and contact has to be made with the developer to do so.

:lol: Some little troll's gonna have some explaining to do after he's maxed out his mom's credit card
by NeoShredder
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

Trending on Twitter? Time for another QTE blast?!
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #TheFinalBlow-Hype thread for Teams Yu’s ‘Quick Timed Ev

johnvivant wrote: people who haven't yet done this might want to now so we can keep up the shenmue twitter momentum on trends. even if you have why not do it again!

link - http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III?action=qte :

Goodidea!

But I STILL can't get the actual QTE/Team-Yu Sign-up to work! Have had to do it manually!
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (17/7: MORE RYO $5.6 Mill. ROAD TO 6)

Best Ryo yet imo!

So many Ryos today!
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter sets new record - LIVE REACTION

phpBB [video]

HALF A DAY
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Advanced Free Battle!

Training: Mu Ren Zhuang

Muk Yan Jong (Cantonese: muk yan jong/Mandarin: mu ren zhuang) is a wooden dummy used in Chinese martial arts training. It is associated with the martial art of Wing Chun and other kung fu styles of Southern China. Traditionally made from wood, the dummies are now also made from synthetic materials such as steel and plastic.

Obviously should be included, either in real time or as the new (and Guilin appropriate) QTE Title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgG-ttflBNU

Always
by NeoShredder
Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (17/7: YET MORE RYO $6.3m Victory Dan

Hey NeoShredder, this is in reply to your post on the translation request thread, to translate the handwritten Japanese on for the Kickstarter promo video script. Only a couple of parts had enough focus to be readable.

Hey man thanks a lot, about to update :) 8)

I've also managed to get the HD Twitch stream to actually load (stupid laptop) and got our HD version of Ryo from the Steam :)

http://i.imgur.com/KNsB6L2.png

And captured the others as well. It's not Shenmue III Art per se so wont add it to OP, but it's neat stuff :)

Akira Hazuki: http://i.imgur.com/RvZYk1g.png

"M'am, please don't call me Baby Boy Ryo": http://i.imgur.com/DerJoA9.png

"Carrots?!" http://i.imgur.com/n5PQaIG.png
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Today I introduce my girlfriend to Shenmue!

So when are we going to get updates on Shenmue II?
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

Interesting that the word "promise" links Ryo and Shenhua together.

"Maternal Instinct"

Interesting stuff! :-k

If you guys want to make a real go of it, here's the video within a frame by frame webapp that I've used:

http://rowvid.com/?v=iCvCEtes1xI&t=286.3&s=1

EDIT: Also, there's obviously those roman numerals just under his hand on the left...chapters?

http://i.imgur.com/OSIgrmU.png

I can see at least "2,4,5,6,7"

No three....
by NeoShredder
Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes

"SEGA would be stupid not to cash in on the Kickstarter's massive success!"

Right.....guys....???
by NeoShredder
Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New interview with Cedric (Radio Monaco)

Google Translate does a 99% perfect job:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.radio-monaco.com/news/high-tech/item/6387-la-resurrection-du-jeu-video-culte-shenmue-pilotee-depuis-monaco&prev=search

The resurrection of the cult video game "Shenmue" controlled from Monaco

By Jimmy BOURSICOT
Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Hardcore fans of Shenmue (video below) that were waiting for almost 15 years. They can be relieved: the third part of the cult video game adventure, which was then released on Dreamcast, will indeed emerge. Crowdfunding campaign, launched on Kickstarter mid-June , was a great success.

1 hour and 42 minutes after launch, Shenmue 3 had reached the million dollars. A record for a game and only the second time this happened on the crowdfunding platform.

32 days later, the counter had increased to 6,333,295 million, donated by 69,320 contributors. More than three times the amount originally requested. And especially the largest amount ever raised for a video game that way.

By the end of 2017, gamers should test this new opus, on PS4 and PC. At the root of this success include Shibuya Productions , a company based in Monaco. It is this, together with Yu Suzuki, the creator of Shenmue world, that made ​​this possible, rebirth.

Since his office unadorned and without aircon (but with Ikki figurine, a character of the Knights of the Zodiac) of Bellevue Street, Cedric Biscay, head of Shibuya Productions, shows mine welcomed one who has just passed a nice kick.

"As co-producer (with YS Net, the Suzuki studio) we had a mission to find private investors. But without the Kickstarter campaign, the project would not have been possible. Honestly, that we knew we would arrive without problems to 2 million. But we did not think climb as high. It's a very nice surprise. "
A small box in the big leagues

Nevertheless, the native of Nice knows that the road is still long. And that waiting around that output is important:

"We realized that there was not that hardcore fans who had given money. On As a big buzz was organized, numerous articles have been published in the press International. And people who were too young to have played the first two episodes became interested. "

Cédric Biscay has strong links with Japan since 2002, when it launched Shibuya International , the consulting company connecting the Hexagon companies and those of the rising sun.

CedTrone

If he has worked with major multinationals such as BNP Paribas, Deutsche Telekom or Namco Bandai, man 35 years old admits he is himself surprised to be in control of a project of this scale.

"It's a real challenge for us. The term 'gamble' would be a little strong, because the risks are measured. But normally, a company of five people like ours is not found in an adventure like this. For now, we advance error without, it has gained credibility in Japan and it opens doors. "

A cult hit, not a commercial success

At E3, the great global rout video game in which the operation "resurrection" Shenmue was formalized, Cedric Biscay was surprised to see the reaction of those present. "There were fans and journalists. When they learned that the third part was leaving, some began to cry, it was huge."

The sign that the first two episodes, which had nevertheless been considered commercial failures, given the huge investment they need ($ 70 million for the first, making it the eighth most expensive game History), have a true federated community of players. Necessarily very demanding.

"At the Sega Dreamcast with his image, Yu Suzuki and his team were not rewarded. At the time, Shenmue was a revolution with the emergence of the concept of open world, a combat system in 3D especially a deep history of great sensitivity. Since this time, Suzuki was waiting to make a sequel. He really wants to succeed his return and propose new mechanical game. He is a visionary. "

And now a PayPal campaign to inflate the budget

If he happens to share his opinions with Suzuki concerning elements to incorporate into Shenmue 3, Cedric Biscay is primarily responsible for the financial side of the project. And to put the "maestro" Suzuki and his studio in the best conditions, it has yet to swell the pot.

In late June, the Japanese director had stated this during a chat session on Reddit: "If we reach the $ 5 million, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue III will become reality 10 million. The game really has the functionality of an open world. "

In order to approach this amount, a fundraising campaign via the online payment system PayPal will start soon. Through this, some titles like Bloodstained, Torment Star Citizen or have already managed to gather're beautiful. The last named is now in ... $ 85.2 million.

In a future article, we'll go into more detail on Cedric Biscay activities. Founder of the MAGIC show in Monaco, it is also invested in the field of animation (prepares the reboot of Astroboy).

http://www.radio-monaco.com/images/CedTrone.jpg
by NeoShredder
Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If we decipher a few words every day maybe we'll get the full text eventually :)

Okay because its interesting stuff i've tried to CSI the screens but it's Japanese script I have no idea what i'm looking at to enhance properly! Can you at least tell me if i'm going in the right direction?

Original:
http://i.imgur.com/BvVWsLq.png

Color Levels/Sharpness Adjusted a bit:
http://i.imgur.com/6Et53s2.png

A bit more:
http://i.imgur.com/j1c394E.png

Smaller image (Might be clearer?)
http://i.imgur.com/6o8tmhr.png

http://www.operatorchan.org/arch/src/135702470350.jpg
by NeoShredder
Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gamespot : Is Shenmue a Good Game? - The Lobby

I've seen this already. The time he played it refers to the full stream of his first "playthrough", where he only played it for an hour and seems like he's been too frustrated by it to play it since:

http://www.twitch.tv/kevinvanord/v/6832628

> "I don't understand why the snow turns to rain" He says this like a criticism, like its an error, despite the fact "the day the snow turned to rain" is the whole thing ABOUT the day
> If you watch the stream, he doesn't even know HOW the use the R-Trigger. Doesn't even zoom on an object ONCE, which would HELP HIM when he stuck on finding Mr. Yamotos house and gave up :roll:
> Doesn't like the tank controls- has he ever played Resident Evil or any other game from the 90's? The layout makes sense for the Dreamcast!

He had some fair opinions about the voice acting and such things, can't hold that against him. But the fact that can't even be bothered to learn THE CONTROLS and play the game PROPERLY, then nearly three weeks after he's on this program like 'oh yeah the game is y'know, like, nostalgia' when he hasn't even gotten to ONE fight or done barely anything with the game is poor from Van Ord. We all know Gamespot and Shenmue have history but this is just lazy work and misrepresents the game to the casual viewer.
by NeoShredder
Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The prototype of Xiuying

Interesting stuff, welcome!

Can you post a link to the Podcast?

OK, the podcast is in chinese. You can listen to it in their website and iTunes.
http://www.g-cores.com/volumes/15746
https://itunes.apple.com/cn/podcast/ji-he-wang-gadio-you-xi-guang-bo/id420660752?mt=2

The part about Xiuying and Ms. Zhang starts at 46:20.

Thanks! =D>

Oh...

http://i.imgur.com/NnyIfly.png
V

Say Hi to the Shenmue China fans for us 8)
by NeoShredder
Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Money just been collected!

Chaikilla wrote:Team Yu and I doing our best Chai impressions.

Mate that's obviously Dou Niu in response....

:-o Imagine how a Dou Niu/Chai fight would go down!
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan Di in Guilin

One thing that's got me about this is thinking back to the bad ending of Shenmue I where Lan Di's like "I heard there was another mirror", implying he obviously didn't know about it. Yet in Shenmue II, there's a big ass carving of the two mirrors right there on the wall (In fact, WHY are there two big ass replicas carved in the wall?), so if he was in the cave he'd obviously know about it.

Come to think of it, how naive is Lan Di about the 'mirrors power'? Is it in fact Tentei (The boss) the one who knows and only told Lan Di about the one mirror becuase Tentei didn't want Lan Di to have all that power to himself? Perhaps when Lan Di does finds out about it, he turns against the Chiyoumen and tries to take the power for himself? Think about it, why does he get the Yellow Head boys to go after Yuanda Zhu so desperately and show up himself in person?

My theory is that in Shenmue I Lan Di was merely sent on an errand by the big boss to retrieve what he thought was just some dusty old artifact (perhaps he too was manipulated by his own desire for revenge and the change to murder Iwao to do Tentei's dirty work) and knows nothing about it, but afterwards gets curious and learns of all the legends about the Mirrors (including about Ryo's role) and Lan Di realises the power he would be missing out on by just giving it up. After being manipulated by his desire for revenge once, he has decided to take a step back this time and observe and monitor Ryo, using him in the same way Lan Di himself was. He leads Ryo to Guilin because he's learnt about the cave from Yuanda Zhu but can't put the "sword in the stone" himself (perhaps he's taken Shenhua's stepfather because he's tried to already). Then, at the right time, he's going to step in and take the power for himself.

Perhaps the reason why he flies away at the end of Shenmue II is because he's found out about about the second mirror (after getting to Yuanda Zu- who according Yu Suzuki, "Cannot fully be trusted") and realizes that the only way to get the mirrors true power is to get Ryo to play out his part (the legend, predestined since ancient times) and do his work for him (befriending the spiritual Shenhua, which Lan Di could never do himself, and find the cave) then step in and take it for himself. I mean, why would he stick around to observe the fight with Dou Nui, then hold a prolonged stare with Ryo? He could jump down there and destroy Ryo if he wanted to. I don't think it's because its 'below him' or he just "can't be bothered" (He murdered Iwao for the first mirror!)- it's because he's the cold, calculating head of a criminal organization and wants to manipulate the young hotheaded Ryo into doing his work for him. He stares at him only because he wants to piss him off.

I mean think about it, the only reason the bad endings happen is because Ryo takes too long- perhaps this is because he thinks the gets impatient because nothing is happening and steps in himself? Perhaps, paradoxically (but makes sense to the story's theme), the only time Lan Di will ever face Ryo is when Ryo calms down and stops being manipulated by his desire for revenge, and lets Lan Di come to him instead.

(Sorry for rambling, just thinking)
by NeoShredder
Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New request:

http://i.imgur.com/NnyIfly.png
"At the Ming Dynasty tombs. Left: Ms Zhang, my travel guide. Right: my guide for the Beijing area, Mr Bravo Zhang."

What book/ pamphlet is it from?

:nice!:

Some travel guide trivia we discovered from a Chinese fan just recently:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48769
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (17/7: YET MORE RYO ~HD~)

Hey everyone, so I was watching Kenji Seang's 2nd interview from 2013 with Yu Suzuki in Monaco (Hosted by Shibuya Productions nonetheless), and towards the end these images came up.

Edit, nevermind, they're not new #-o

They're in the same style as the others in the OP and i've never seen them talked about or discussed:

Definitely Guilin and definitely not Shenhua's house (unless Shenmue has been chopped down) :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/uooqxPx.jpg
And could this be our "Sage master of the Nanquan" in Choubu? Does anybody know what that Kanji says on the entrance?

http://i.imgur.com/m7SEwZo.jpg

Sorry if its nothing but I haven't seen these anywhere and je ne comprends pas le français. Has Kenji spoken about these images and where they came from? Perhaps we didn't think too much about them because we didn't realise what we were looking at?
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Capule Toys and Music from previous games.

THe guy on Gaf has posted these scans:

http://i.imgur.com/nqY2kDg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WMnAZ3b.jpg

Capsule toys and music confirmed.

si que hemos recibido permiso para usar las capsulas de juguete de shenmue I y II.

We have received permission to use the toy capsules from Shenmue I and II.

Quick and dirty Google translate of some tidbits. Not bad :)

niao sun ocupa el asienta sur de los cuatro lideres de los chi you men. es una cruel practicante del estilo del 'puno-daga de la mantis'

Niao-sun is the Chiyoumen leader of the south. She is a ruthless practitioner of the "Fist-Dagger Mantis" style.

no juego a otros titulos, asi que no sabria decirte. Idealmente, los cambios no solo influirian en las conversaciones, sino tambien en las misiones y los eventos.

[Rapport system, like the Witcher?] I do not play other titles, so I would not know. Ideally, changes would influence not only talks, but also in missions and events.

especialmente por lo que concierne a la cara de Ryo, no estoy satisfecho de como luce ahora mismo. Todavia estamos en la fase de desarrollo, asi que podeis esperar mejoras a medida que avancemos. Tenemos una version actualizada de Ryo pero tampoco estoy contento con ese modelo, asi que continuaremos haciendo mejoras. La personalidad de Ryo no se reflejara solo con su modelado sino tambien con su forma de moverse a sus expresiones faciales.

Especially with regard to Ryo's face, I'm not satisfied with how it looks now. We are still in the development phase, so you can expect improvements as we go. We have an updated version of Ryo but I'm not happy with that model, so we will continue making improvements. Ryo's personality is reflected not just in modeling but also with the way it moves the facial expressions.

los escenarios basicos para la saga ya estan pensados. Las diferentes entregas de la saga no siguen esos once capitulos de una manera perfecta. Es decir, quiero plantear los escenarios de los once capitulos con cada entrega, dependiendo de como se ajusten mejor

The basic scenarios for the series are already designed. The various installments of the series do not follow these eleven chapters in a "perfect" manner. That is, I want to raise the stage of the eleven chapters with each delivery, depending on how it better fits.
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nationalities of the dojo members

Mystere wrote:Birmingham (best described as the UK's "2nd city" after London)

Currently living in the SF bay area.

Haha, you're the one who emigrated :P
by NeoShredder
Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rapport system

Loosely translated from the Spanish interview:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48828

no juego a otros titulos, asi que no sabria decirte. Idealmente, los cambios no solo influirian en las conversaciones, sino tambien en las misiones y los eventos.

[Rapport system, like in the Witcher?] I do not play other titles, so I would not know. Ideally, changes would influence not only talks, but also in missions and events.
by NeoShredder
Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Informer Shenmue Chronicles Playthrough

sand4fish wrote: Episode 5 is online in their webpage for whoever is still following up their playthrough. The Youtube version should come up soon.

Love this playthrough! Seriously, indeed of jumping on clickbait trolls, we should get behind good playthroughs like this :)
by NeoShredder
Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Map Recreation - Development Blog

I'm getting hyped for this, great work! The 'modern' setting aside, the Skyrim game engine is going to make for an excellent Shenmue tribute!

"I heard Yamagishi-San took an arrow to the knee over by the park" =D
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Not trying to get into your guys spat here, but design choices with the old VA (particularly IIx) does concern me a little for the new game. Yes we have our Corey Marshall, but we know with the rapport system and the more 'intimate' setting there's going to be a LOT of back and forth conversation in this game, essentially as a game-play mechanic. The voice acting has gotta be ON POINT, espicially for the main characters. I do hope they take their time with proper localization and direction.

This leads on to what was going to be my submission for this topic: We've heard exciting things about the new "Rapport System" influencing the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua over time. Can you tell us more about how this will be implemented into the game and what we can expect from a game-play perspective? Also, to what extent will this influence the unfolding of the story?

EDIT: I don't think ALL the voice acting was bad in the games. It's human nature to remember the worst of things standing out.
by NeoShredder
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Gameinformer in their playthroughs want to know what Yu Suzuki thinks about Peter Jackson ripping off Chai for Gollum :lol:
by NeoShredder
Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gio Gorsi [The Point, Gamespot]- How Shenmue III came to be

phpBB [video]
by NeoShredder
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic