Return

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

Ryo finally catches up to lan di in Eugeon,Oregon
by Locke_cole
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Imagine if Shenmue III actually got the kind of backing that would give it AAA production values like its predecessors! I don't think an open-world game of the previous games' magnitude could be replicated on an indie-game budget.

But considering that this game is a digital only release (for console), then a bigger budget seems unlikely. C'mon, at least give a PS4 retail release as a stretch goal! It can be achieved! :-o

That's a very interesting point and something I have been thinking about...

However, for Sony to actually mention it and use up time during their E3 conference, do you not think they will also be contributing some funding towards the game?

I doubt it will purely be funded by fans alone, surely not?

My gut instinct was that Sony probably had an agreement with Yu Suzuki that they would only help fund the game if the $2 million KickStarter goal was achieved (almost as a measuring-stick to gauge the popularity / demand of such a game before their commit money towards it).... What do you think? I'm hoping it's not going to be solely fan-funded.
by Luke_09
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New generation of Shenmue fans?

Don't have her watch the Shenmue movie friend, haha. It's really bad.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Long term fans mixed feelings?

How many of you played this game when you was a child and fell in love with the game but now have mixed feelings about the announcement?

I for one have mixed feelings about the announcement, as on one hand I am happy that we will finally get some questions answered on the story.
But at the same time after eagerly waiting for this game for so long and maturing I feel like its almost impossible to completely satisfy the urge for the game we've all been waiting for.

For one I am sure a lot of you like myself have grown a bit out of video games, I am half the gamer I was once was and find it difficult to get immersed in games like I use to.
Secondly watching the trailer for the kickstarter where Ryo jumped across the rocks confirmed my fears of the Gameplay being quite outdated.

I know the trailer is not much to go on as its more of just a concept at this stage and I really want this game to do well.
But I just really hope Yu Suzuki can pull off a miracle (which he is capable of) and modernize the game without losing the original feel of the game.

Whats your feelings on the announcement? positive and negative?
And what changes do you think need to be made to modernize the game while retaining the original feel?
by Urbangeek
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Graduated high school. Completed some college. Bounced around from a few jobs. Both my grandparents died in the same week :( . My Celtics won the NBA Finals in 2008. Became involved in my first serious relationship. Sadly got addicted to opiate painkillers :/ what a rough road that's been. Recovery is a bitch. And by the time III comes out I'll be 29 or 30. It's been a long road mate, we can experience it all together when it finally gets here! :)
by Birty
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Long term fans mixed feelings?

Ahhh Kate Upton syndrome... See I would see all these pictures of Kate Upton and think... "Boy...I sure would love to see her naked" and I waited and waited ( Granted not 14 years) and then it happened...BAM The Fappening. There she is just as naked as she could be and I just felt.....empty. Sure it was nice, just not quite what I imagined it would be...but given the chance, yes friend...I would indeed have sex with her.
by Locke_cole
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

Maybe Yu is just looking at random words in the dictionary

Yeah yeah, estochastic idea system, that sounds cool, I'll figure it out later
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is it true that Ryo once spoke about his bandage?

Tom is a good friend, but he is a business man through and through.
by Locke_cole
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

the Knicks sucked then. the Knicks suck now. yet I still watch this horrible basketball team every year
by santino
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Long term fans mixed feelings?

I think that the real trouble here, and the reasonable feelings of fear are based in 2 areas.

1: When Shenmue first dropped, it was amazing. The immersion factor was so easy simply because of what you could do. Take a picture off the wall. Look at the bottom of this cup. Turn every light on and off in the house. We were instantly in just based on the scope of the game. Since then, we've seen the ideas Shenmue brought to the table expanded and refined. Sandbox gaming? Perfected. Interactive environments? Have you ever balanced jars on someones head in Skyrim? Interactive conversations? Pick a Bioware or Telltale game. QTE? They're everywhere. GoW really killed it. And all of the pretty and nuanced animation? God we see that in EVERY game now. Shenmue can no longer impress by just being what it is.

So.... I feel torn as to whether I want S3 to reclaim the throne in these areas, or continue as though it were made 14 years ago. Both have advantages. If it takes modern gaming into account, it opens up the door for a new audience to enjoy. But can it deliver on stealing all of those things back definitively? I don't really think so.

2: After all of the emotions, all the speculation, and being downtrodden for years, can we really get back to that emotional state for the game. Can it be what it once was for us. Can it be that long lost love that makes our heart skip a beat when it walks through the door, or are we so jaded and over it that WE destroy the experience ourselves.

Two legitimate fears. I, however, am full on psyched. I can easily get back to where I was by firing up S1 and S2. If the game continues with the same formula, I will be ready. If it modernizes, I will enjoy it all the more after playing through 2 dated games. This is going to be awesome either way. It's up to us and how we perceive it.
by sanoichiro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

The only concern I have about Shenmue 3 is that it'll end up being too modern.
Seems like so many people want it to be updated with modern gaming ideas and all, but I just want it to be as much like the old games as possible, honestly. I'd like to be able to play through S1 and 2, dive into S3, and have it feel like a smooth transition, almost like it was made directly after the previous ones.
I don't want it to actually feel like 15 years have passed when I start playing it, if that makes sense.
by OL
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

Never in a million years is this Kickstarter going to get even close to that. Open up a PayPal and take donations afterwards and maybe it'll reach it in a few months with Shenmue fans donating a good portion of their fucking annual salary toward it.

It's a shame because if the Kickstarter was done properly I think it'd have had a decent chance of getting $10M by itself. I'm really annoyed by Awesome Japan - due to their complete and utter incompetence, they're now asking Shenmue fans to pledge far more than they can possibly afford, otherwise we get a bare-bones version of the game we've been waiting 14 years for.

Seriously, fuck these shit cunts.

Erm, this kind of attitude doesn't exactly help. Have you actually bothered messaging YS Net on kickstarter?

Guys this is the first few days of the campaign. We have all waited 14 years for this so why are you willing to give up so easily?
by b_ren
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My tattoo

Congrats on never being able to go to an Onsen again in Japan!

nah seriously - really nice. The epic fight between Dragon and Phoenix...Looking really good!
by Master Kyodai
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looks great!
by Crimson Ryan
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Refrain from Infighting

This is not necessarily related to Shenmue 3 itself, but more the campaign and everything surrounding it.

Understandably, many people are excited and passionate for the game, and of course, many people have their worries or their criticisms about the marketing in regards to the Kickstarter campaign, and Sony's involvement, among other things. I just want to remind everyone to keep a clear, rational head about all of this. Remember that we all want the same thing; for Shenmue 3 to be good as it possibly can be given the odds. Bickering over trivialities and trying to be the right one in an argument can be counterproductive to the campaign itself if we're not concentrated on pushing this current Kickstarter campaign as strongly as we can. I am not saying we are not allowed to have disagreements, but don't let them get to the extent of becoming distractions from the goal. We have plenty of time to get this ball rolling, so lets not panic; keep it cool.

In the end, we're all on the same side. This goes for the forum, Twitter, Youtube, Kickstarter comments, and any other context in which we have to interact with one another. Let's try to make some history here.
by SlySpy
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel About Shenmue III Becoming More Spiritua

I love it. It perfectly punctuates the general tone of the series, and especially which throws it right in your face. Ryo goes through a decaying, decrepit old crime filled city in order to find information on his fathers killer. Kowloon represents Ryo's inner demons as the cracks expose themselves leading to his own perdition. Xiuying tells him as much in the church and many times in Honk Kong. The analogy for Ryo's spiritual journey from Kowloon to Guilin is both figurative and literal in the scope of the games themes. Ryo, having found Zhu Yuanda, travels from a place that eats his soul and forces him to go to extremes to find vengeance that will never sate him, to a place separated from civilization, surrounded by nature in all of its wonders. It is through the nature of spirituality and friendship, which Ryo starts to embrace as seen in the Tai Chi scene at the crag, that will save Ryo and deliver him from becoming the exact person he hates.

The naturalism vs urbanism dynamic in II is a natural part of the evolution of the story, and one that gives it far more emotional weight.

I don't take it as an west vs east debate. I think that pits the story at its most reduced form. After all, Hong Kong is more advanced than Yokosuka which is a small town and many people that live in these places, like Xiuying, are on the straight and narrow. It isn't about west vs east, so much as I feel it is about Ryo's spiritual transformation as he grows from boy to man. He has two options. He thinks he NEEDS revenge, but it consumes him. The secret to his sating heartache is within him all along, and that is his own natural spirit.

The spiritualism is needed.

Further, I think people's take on east vs west debate is exotifying the east and trying to find a way to say the east is better when this is never explicitly said in neither games at all.
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: song name...

It's officially called "Departure For Hope". Featured on the OST.
The in game version sound a bit different as the piano is in a higher key. I prefer it that way myself.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by BlueMue
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Impressive!! did it hurt?
by ekiscrim
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's great, and I think you found the right place to put this tattoo on.
by Namron_Bearded
Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

I'm really hoping they keep the same menu music from the first two games

phpBB [video]
by Sonoshee
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone willing to sell shenmue for a good price?

shenmueguy wrote:i'm thinking about $25-$40.

by Locke_cole
Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler]

This is an interview with Yu Suzuki from the japanese site 4gamer.net published 2015-06-19.
Here translated by me.

Original article: http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

Among other things it brings up interesting new information about the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system.

There is also a slight spoiler of a character that might appear, so those of you who want to play the game totally spoiler free should maybe avoid reading this.

here we go.

-- Thanks for being here.
YS: Thanks for having me. before jumping into questions I just want to make clear that Shenmue is a Kickstarter project and the scope and contents depend on the stretch goals.

-- Yeah, looking at the Kickstarter stretch goals there are the rapport system and skill tree and other added.
YS: We add more stretch goals so as more people pledge the scope of the game will get bigger. So as of now I can’t talk in detail about the mechanics of the game. What I’m able to accomplish will very much depend on the funds we can gather. I want to avoid telling too much and end up betraying those who have paid.

-- Under those circumstances, what do you want to do with Shenmue III?
YS: I want to show the relationship between Ryo and Shenhua in more detail. Even further than previous games.

-- It’s kind of hard to imagine how that would work.
YS: Maybe so. I want to to challenge myself, but new things are hard to get people to understand and therefore harder to gain support for. That’s one of the reasons we have prepared stretch goals like larger map and mini games.

-- So you made easy to understand stretch goals first.
YS: As more money comes in, the world of Shenmue III gets larger, and the game becomes more complete. But if it becomes a question of what game has the largest world, the game with the largest budget has a sure advantage. When it comes to Shenmue III, I want to ensure that there are other parts to enjoy besides just the open world aspects.

-- Can you give us any examples?
YS: At 3.2 million dollars there is the rapport system stretch goal. Actions and conversations will affect the relation between Ryo and Shenhua in subtle ways. The way Shenhua speaks and cooperate etc. will change.

-- It seems like the story could change depending on the relationship.
YS: Let’s just say that it depends on the budget. Making statements like that is just asking for trouble (laugh).

-- I get it (laugh). Could you explain the 5 million dollar stretch goal; the character perspective system?
YS: That is where the player will take control of characters like Shenhua and Ren instead of Ryo.

-- At a certain point in the game will we be able to change characters freely?
YS: I can’t talk about details yet, so I will just say that it’s not necessarily like we are letting you control the other characters exactly like Ryo.

-- So it’s not like you can just change characters at will.
YS: The personality of Ren and Shenhua is different from Ryo, so even if they see the same thing the reactions would be different. When you played as Ryo it was his decisions, but playing as Ren and Shenhua would make it very interesting.

-- Hearing that makes me even more interested (laugh).
YS: I’m unable to describe it any more until the 5 million dollar stretch goal is reached, so I’ll stop here for today.

-- By the way, will the story end with this part.
YS: To tell the truth, the original story is too long to end here. So I decided against trying to fit it all in to Shenmue III.

-- Which means that after the Shenmue III project has been finished we have to wait for the the next part.
YS: First we have to do our best to make Shenmue III a solid game.

-- Let’s leave the appearance of Shenmue III and talk about the backend. Can you tell us why you chose to use Unreal Engine 4?
YS: It’s because it’s easy to use and fits with how I imagine Shenmue to look. There are like rendering tendencies for the different engines, and the base colors of Unreal Engine 4 added with “dampness and scent” makes it Shenmue.

-- Are the colors you imagine the same as with the first two parts?
YS: Of course. Shenmue had that air humidity feeling well presented and it had a smell too. That’s what I aim for with Shenmue III.

-- So you’re saying that if you take a scenery out of the game and look at it you’d be able to say “That’s Shenmue!”?
YS: Yeah, That’s what I want to do. But the promotional video we made for Kickstarter felt dry. Kind of ended up like the Californian humidity level (laugh).

-- Your idea of the exact colors or the “scent” of the graphics, is it hard to convey that to the developers?
YS: It it very very hard to explain it. It’s like trying to explain what a melon is to someone who only has seen watermelons and mandarins. Well, you can say the size is about in the middle, but trying to explain the taste is very hard.

-- With that said, do you have members from the former parts working on Shenmue III?
YS: Yes. So we have the original members that kind of know what Shenmue is about.

-- After fifteen years, it’s quite the thing to bring everyone together again.
YS: I think so. Everyone has gone independent or changed their positions, but even at this stage when the scope of the production isn’t set in stone they have gladly offered to join. That’s really heartwarming.

-- It feels like the relationship is deeper than what you could expect from work colleges.
YS: That’s because Shenmue was a project that was more than just work. Ten years after the development of Shenmue II we had this get-together and more than 100 people came.

-- That’s amazing. I’m not sure if I would call that just a get-together.

-- The level of creativity in the games you have created is often very high. Is there any secret to this?
YS: No. I never play games outside work, so I don’t get that influenced by other games. Maybe that’s the reason.

-- I had this idea that you researched other games thorough and tried to make something different, but I guess that’s not true then.
YS: Yeah. it easier to just make something from zero (laugh).

-- So maybe If someone from the media like me hear an explanation for a game and say “Is it like the mechanics from that other game?” you might not be able to get it?
YS: I’m sorry, but I guess that’s true. Well, maybe I have to study the trends in the most popular games.

-- By the way, this is the first in a long time that you get to work on a game this big.
YS: Yeah. It feels like it was a long time ago I got this invested in a game.

-- It’s not like you totally left the game industry, but what do you think of the game industry in Japan looking from a bit afar.
YS: The game engine Unity came out and made it easy for just one person to make his own game, which is a good thing. It wouldn’t be healthy if only big budget games were able to survive. It’s good that the market has expanded with more alternatives. But it’s kind of sad that a majority of games that make money are small like games for smartphones.

-- Do you feel like more effort should be made in making titles for the consoles?
YS: Yeah. Before, Japan was said to be number one in game making. It’s sad that the knowledge that had amassed during that time wasn’t used better.

-- Many of the people during that time went over to make games for smartphones.
YS: It’s not like games for smartphones are necessarily bad, but what’s characteristic of smartphone game making is that the development cycles from start to finished tend to be fast. It might be good for business, but I’m not really satisfied with that. If you compare to cars there’s the really popular cars that sell well. They make a lot of money for the company, but if they don’t develop their flagship model their technical advancement will suffer.

-- In USA there is still a lot of money spent in games for game consoles and PC.
YS: Yeah. That kind of rich content helps activate the whole industry. I hope the industry in Japan gets back on track like before...

-- Oh, the interview got very negative suddenly. Could you maybe give a word of encouragement to the young developers of today or people thinking about making games?
YS: Today is different from before. It’s possible for anyone to make games now. Before it was impossible to make games if you didn’t know how to program, but now there are tools for that. It’s also possible to study game development, and it’s easy to learn from the internet. Living in this age you shouldn't think too hard and just try for fun, go in the direction that feels best for you. Begin with having fun creating.

Comments:
The character perspective system means taking control of characters other than Ryo. He literally says “レンやシェンファ” which means characters “like Shenhua and Ren” so it could be for other characters too. (Edit: Or it could be just an example of characters. Like Thief said: "It could mean that characters like Shenhua and Ren (as in main supporting cast characters) are playable. Ren could have merely been used as an example." Thanks Thief! )
But it’s pretty much as close of a confirmation that we can get that Ren will show up in Shenmue III in one way or another. There is a concept art image of him riding a horse so it’s maybe not that unexpected, but we can be fairly sure he will show up in part 3 and not 4 or even later. Horses were also pretty much confirmed in Yu Suzuki's Reddit AMA so the concept art could very well be of an event happening in Shenmue III.
by Capsule Toys Maniac
Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

ok , how would you feel if at the begging of the game an earthquake (or something similar) drops some rocks at the cave entrance and you cannot get out....so you have to find another way out.....Yu Suzuki you big troll man :lol: :lol: :lol:
by alexironaek
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo - Can we apply a kickstarter-themed header?

Perhaps we ought to have some sort of reference in both main site and board index. I would suggest adding to the headers some reference of the deadline and stressing the 10mil urgency, with a hyperlink to the kickstarter page , beneath or even replacing the home hyperlink. Credit to ash55 for the Shenmue III png file.

Maybe something resembling this

http://i.imgur.com/2YuV5dJ.png

Is it worth it? What should be taken off or added in?
by Nahovil
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are your hobbies?

My hobbies literally haven't changed for all these years, I just come home from work and just want to play games and chill on my computer for as long as possible :P
by James Brown
Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue Dojo record

I saw the topic title and though "We made an album?"
by OL
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Alternative Shenmue Kickstarter video now featured on KS!

Original Post
If a mod or news poster could feature this video on the homepage, it would really help!

The current Kickstarter video for Shenmue III is quite bad. It doesn't outline the achievements of Shenmue or have any real Shenmue feel to it. It only appeals to a a very small audience and does very little to attract new people to the franchise. That is why me and some other members of the Dojo have collaborated and put our ideas together to create what we believe the Kickstarter video should have been.

Here is the most popular version with no dub (and a slightly different logo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJcBqS1fDY
Some really awesome people on YouTube have made subtitles in Dutch, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Spanish too! You can find them if desired by enabling the closed captions.

There is also a dubbed version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgDKkwR6SI
(Thanks to Raunchy for the voiceover!)
Please share this around. Tweet it out to people, embed it in forums, reupload it to your own Youtube if you like - you don't need to credit me. This video clears up misconceptions about the Kickstarter (eg where the funding comes from), advertises the stretch goals and markets Shenmue to new audiences. It could be VERY beneficial to the campaign.

Some people in the production thread even suggested trying to get it seen by Yu Suzuki in the hope he will replace the current Kickstarter video with this one. It's a very long shot, but it's worth a try. Shenmue III recently got an official Twitter if people would like to tweet it to them. https://twitter.com/Shenmue_3

We can make a difference if we advertise this campaign properly. This, combined with $30 on the 3rd could just be our ticket to 10mil. Please help in spreading the word by showing this to people who are misinformed, unconvinced, or might be interested in getting into Shenmue. Let's do this!

"The fate of Shenmue is in your hands now"

Thank you!
My alternative Kickstarter has now been featured on the Kickstarter project under the "What's Shenmue" heading! Yu Suzuki saw my video and wanted to use it and as a result I have been working with Awesome Japan to create a version that SEGA deem acceptable which has now been completed.
Take a look here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=178&v=eoAII3iHXOM
by Jibby
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please share this alternative Shenmue III Kickstarter vi

It was a nice idea. I like the video and will share it. Must admit though, the guy doing the voice over sounds kinda funny. Not bashing the video at all, just my opinion lol. Anyway nicely done :)

I agree, I don't want to sound rude but it feels like he's trying too hard to imitate the deep kind of voice you usually hear in movie trailers. Maybe it would have been better to stick to his real voice.
by PacemaŜinobo
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Please share this alternative Shenmue III Kickstarter vi

It was a nice idea. I like the video and will share it. Must admit though, the guy doing the voice over sounds kinda funny. Not bashing the video at all, just my opinion lol. Anyway nicely done :)

I agree, I don't want to sound rude but it feels like he's trying too hard to imitate the deep kind of voice you usually hear in movie trailers. Maybe it would have been better to stick to his real voice.
I'm sorry you didn't like the dub. I've updated the post with a version that doesn't contain one. Feel free to share that one around if you prefer.
by Jibby
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the buildings in Baisha village

Yeah, I got the feeling that Choubu will be the game's main area.
The structures seen in the artwork, by the way, are called "paifang (牌坊)" or "pailou (牌楼)", but those can be found all over China (and other places in Asia), so the tulou in Baisha's artwork really caught my eye.

EDIT: Here's the Wikipedia article about paifang, by the way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paifang

Another thing... Baisha (白沙) (White Sand) and Bailu (白鹿) (White Deer) are both the pronunciation in Chinese Mandarin of those characters. However, Choubu (鳥舞) (Bird Dance, literally) is the Japanese pronunciation. In Mandarin, it would be called Niaowu.
I don't understand the reason for this inconsistency.
by O Rei do Frango Assado
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the buildings in Baisha village

I'm most excited about Choubu village. Did you read the Suzuki interview?

What interview is that? :)

Also, on topic, there is that train ride in both Project Berkley and the GDC post-mortem. I wonder if and when that's going on.

I don't remember exactly which one.. But he detailed a few of the games locations and what to expect. It was one of his recent interviews in the last 2 or 3 days. Maybe someone can help me out. It could of been the Game Informer interview but I'm not too sure.

Found the right google magic spell.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/20/yu-suzuki-talks-about-shenmue-iiis-daynight-cycle-weather-gameplay-multiplayer-and-more/
by BayStone
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

About the buildings in Baisha village

Hi, everybody!
I never thought that I'd be posting here again after all these years, as I had already accepted that Shenmue 3 would simply never happen and I tried to move on (though I never really managed to forget about Shenmue.)
And yet, here we are, Shenmue 3 is coming out and this is all pretty exciting. In fact, this is probably the most exciting time in videogames in my life and I'm on my way to being 30 already and I never really get that excited about videogames anymore. Or so I thought! :D

Anyway, I noticed the artwork for Baisha village.
http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/shenmue-iii-stretch-goals.png

Now, those round buildings are quite famous in China, they're called "tulou (土楼)", which literally means "earth building". They're communal residences, which, as far as I know, are only found in Fujian Province, in Southeast China. They're communal residences, which, nowadays, are more and more of a tourist attraction, really.

I doubt that Shenmue 3 will take Ryo to Fujian Province, but rather will be entirely (or mostly) set in Guangxi, which is where Guilin is situated. So I'm guessing that Yu Suzuki knew about tulou, maybe he visited them when he went to China, and he really wanted to incorporate them in Shenmue, even if that meant that accuracy would have to be thrown out of the window, in this case (which is fine by me. Fun should always come first in a videogame). Unless I'm wrong and tulou can also be found in Guangxi, but I've never heard about it and a quick Baidu search came up empty too.

Check out the Wikipedia article about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujian_Tulou

Pretty cool, huh? I'm looking forward to seeing them in Shenmue 3's Baisha.
by O Rei do Frango Assado
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can someone help me with smartphone emulation?

First thing you need to acquire the files dc_boot.bin and dc_flash.bin download them onto your computer.

(dc_boot.bin may also be called dc_Bios.bin. They are the same. Rename it to dc_boot.bin if necessry.

Then connect your phone to your computer by USB and put these two files into your phones Internal storage. Make a new dedicated folder.

then open reicast. This is what you should see first of all:

http://i.imgur.com/Eq51iFy.jpg

Open the tab to extend the options. Select 'Paths' here:

http://i.imgur.com/wwJat0u.jpg

It says "system path" here as you can see. The other one is for the game, we'll worry about that later

http://i.imgur.com/VAyneiA.jpg

This where you tell reicast to find those two files I mentioned earlier. thaey emulate the DC OS itself.

Navigate to the folder you made, and press 'select current folder'.

http://i.imgur.com/tipli8A.jpg

Note. You are nominating the folder were the files are located, not the files themselves)

select Browse to go back to that first menu, select 'boot Dreamcast Bios'.

Hopefully this should allow you to boot to the Dreamcast start screen.

http://i.imgur.com/maNX4dC.jpg

Let us know how that goes.

Edit; UPDATED TO BE MORE HELPFUL
by NeoShredder
Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Im going to contribute and keep promoting the kickstarter, but tbh guys I dont think we have anything to worry about. I think whatever the fans dont contribute, sony, or some other able investor will pick up the rest of the slack and let Yu create the game that everyone and the hard core fans have been waiting for. I just dont see this game coming out half assed or half budgeted. A shit ton of people donated during the first few days and im expecting the last few days to be similar, I think the procrastinators will come out more once it gets closer to the dead line, im really not too worried about it, everything is going to be fine, they'll find a way.
by AnimeGamer183
Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is the kind of article we need more of!

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-im-excited-about-shenmue-3/

What a great article. It's simple, but raises a lot of reasons why Shenmue was so special and could be again if we help it reach its potential. I still listen to "Battle 1" every day on the way to work.
by Valascaziel
Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can someone help me with smartphone emulation?

And as far as downloading the Rom for Shenmue disc 1, do I just download it and put it in my phone? Will the Reicast app find it and recognize it or will I need to put it somewhere specifically?

Similar procedure to those other files. if you've seen the other screen above, you have to nominate where the image is contained in that line that says "storage path". Download your game image files and dump them in a new folder called 'iso' and link to that folder. However, once you've linked the folder, you should just be able to.dump files in there and they'll appear on the 'browse' list.
by NeoShredder
Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbye to Joy?

Not sure if I'm recalling this correctly, but last time I played it, I do remember going to the arcade, seeing her bike outside, yet when I spoke to her the conversation didn't go as I expected it to. I do remember tryna be a smartarse by making sure I saw her before I left (made sure I saw everyone before I left), but I'm on the fence as to whether or not these two events coincided.

Ah well, either way she'll be a bitch, despite the fact she never leaves Ryo her phone number or address. "Oh, sorry Joy, couldn't find which street corner you were workin that day."
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10,000,000

It's so stupid it may work.

Even if we do it hard enough could get attention from mainstream media.

It's a win win.
by shredingskin
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10,000,000

@FloydMayweather @MayweatherPromo. Get to tweeting! haha
by Yokosuka Martian
Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Tweets New KS Tiers/Goals Coming Soon + First S3 Artwork

These were all tweeted between 9 and 4 hours ago 8)

リワードの追加ですが、ただいま準備中、 少々お待ちを!#saveshenmue
"Additional rewards are currently under preparation, a little wait! #saveshenmue"

"ストレッチゴール近日公開!"
"Stretch goal coming soon!"

S3イメージ 涼&シェンファ@白鹿村
"S3 image cool & Sheng FA @ pengzhou village"

http://i.imgur.com/8WEpHaM.png
by Sonoshee
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fucking Wang...

Tao-San has Wang by the balls. Wang is an illegal immigrant who is being sought by Japan's border control. Tao took advantage of this by forcing to him to effectively be his slave in exchange for keeping his secret/not giving him up to the feds, paying him in Chinese leftovers only (drinks not included). This is why he's so thirsty.

...I'd still rather keep the 100 yen, though.
by Chaikilla
Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/036/218/c7ba6548e283e00f70eb46302562a5b6_original.png?v=1435149812&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=5013791507492c7e4d4ae08881bd63cf

Sounds like the clarification many have been asking for since the Kickstarter opened and all of the other funding sources started talking. Maybe this will shut up some of the negative press. What do you think?
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS upda

I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shuhei Yoshida Contributed $29 to Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Polygon headline: SONY BOSS CONFIRMS DIRECT FUNDING OF SHENMUE III
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

This also really bothers me and I sure hope that this part of the story isn't brushed aside, but I guess that depends on if Zhu remains a key character. Ryo spent the entirety of the game thus far trying to find Zhu - why did he ask so few questions when he finally met him? Ryo barely learned anything from Zhu, why didn't he ask things like: How do YOU know that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Village? What did Lan Di want with you in the first place?

And how much information - if any - were the Chi You Men able to extract from Zhu before the rooftop trade off? If none at all, then how important was it to Lan Di to find Zhu in the first place? He easily could have hopped back down and taken Zhu - did he really respect Ryo for defeating Dou Niu so much as to just take off without Zhu? Does he view Ryo as a threat or as mostly insignificant? Does he know that Ryo would be able to follow him to Guilin after speaking to Zhu?

There are just too many unanswered questions concerning Yuanda Zhu!
by Lan Di-sama
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic