Search found 386 matches

Return

Re: Psychonauts 2

Fucking phones and auto correct.

http://i.imgur.com/DV62vIc.gif

Yeah it looks underwhelming to me so far because it looks too familiar? It doesn't help that Psychonauts HQ is right by the camp, so naturally it'll have a similar environment. My hope is that you'll be able to control multiple characters in this one to spice things up. Playing as Milla Vodello who was always a favorite would be awesome.
by Himuro
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Politics

Betsy DeVos. Whyyyyy.
by Himuro
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MAGIC 2017 - Schrödinger's Shenmue

Keeping expectations low but interested in what happens.
by Himuro
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

^^I've actually just gotten the urge recently to finally tackle the Valkyrie Profile series. Played a few hours of the first a ways back (enough to have an affection for it), but never finished of course.
There's just the roadblock of so much amazing shit coming out at the moment that I can't really start in on it. But I've got that urge. Good to hear the second game is something great, as I've literally looked up nothing about it previously.

I'm a complete stan for Valkyrie Profile series.

The first one has a better story but the sequel has by far better gameplay. I think VP2 is the better game while VP1 is the better experience. IMO, VP2 is the best RPG of the ps2 generation as well as being the most underrated. People talk about Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter more than VP2 even. Ten years later, barely anyone mentions it because it didn't meet peoples expectations from the first one (again, great story). The story and characters aren't as good but boy oh boy, that sweet, sweet gameplay.

Depending on what you want out of rpgs (for me it's mostly gameplay) VP2 is a top-tier game. For me it's one of the top 5 best RPGs I've ever played.

Here's a sample of the battle system. My favorite RPG battle system of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdNw8tb2tc

And here's the first boss fight that really puts the battle system to its full potential. Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQj3cBF3L4

This is without mentioning the amazing dungeon design.

I would kill for VP2 HD.
by Himuro
Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast game Trickstyle coming to steam this month.

EA please make SSX Tricky/SSX3 HD. :sad:
by Himuro
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GameStop is falling victim to the same forces that allowed them to swallow up and kill every game shop. I don't feel sorry for the company because fuck em. I feel sorry for the workers tied to that company and gymnastics they'll have to do in order to eat. But GameStop as a company, kind of deserves it.
by Himuro
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your HD remaster cravings?

Holy moly too many!

Shenmue 1/2, Valkyrie Profile 1/2, SSX Tricky and 3, Killer 7! Those make the top!

In terms of full remakes, Suikoden I-V.
by Himuro
Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryuji Iuchi : winter sunset (dedicate to Rodger Swan)

Apparently Rodger Swan was a youtuber who loved Shenmue. The dedication is really heart warming. :(
by Himuro
Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What new open world features do you want to see?

Verticality and a means of transportation.
by Himuro
Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Preparing to do this

but...YOLO. Get hype.
by Himuro
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^Can't help with the first game, but they do have Ape Escape 2 for PS4 on the Playstation store, which means it is upscaled to an extent. Not quite a full remaster, but it looks better than the PS2 version all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAfDB6A4c6o

I've never played an Ape Escape game (outside of a short demo many, many years ago) but I've been tempted by this.

Ape Escape games were some of my favorite 3d platformers. Highly suggested, full of love and charm. 3 is probably the best one.
by Himuro
Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would kill for a Goemon collection. The SFC games that weren't released in English need to be available in other languages. 4 in particular is a classic.
by Himuro
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Every time this thread is bumped.

http://i.imgur.com/FZ02C1Y.jpg

EA plz. :(

SSX 3 is my favorite sports games of all time and easily in my top 10 and Tricky is up there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAl2a5YDQ0I

I swear to God.

EA.

http://i.imgur.com/lj3Aiiv.jpg?1

plz EA!

http://i.imgur.com/ZsrBsTb.gif

At least Shenmue HD is being talked about. SSX is d-e-a-d. :(

Also, Suikoden never stops hurting. My favorite rpg series.

http://i.imgur.com/bvweJ9W.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AAX2gw4.jpg

Konami, plz.
by Himuro
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

So, I made a thread a few months ago about how I feel like I'm a bad person.

I've been an atheist for nearly ten years now, and a lot has happened to make me realize the ethical poverty that is secularism. I'm not saying you need to be religious to be a good person or anything, but pretty much all the atheists I know (including me) are misanthropic and just not pleasant to be around. I've also been the type of atheist who believes the atheism absence philosophy is dire and hollow. The older I got, the more my anti-theism crumbled into a mockery of its former self and by the time I turned 30 I realized how important religion is to people's lives and its value to humanity.

For a long time, I have seeked truth. I've explored various religions and philosophies and nothing ever really stuck. But in the past few months or so I've been desperately missing the faith of my birth: Christianity. For a solid 19 years of my life Christianity was a big part of it and I missed it. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't leave the church because I had a bad experience.

So again, the past few months I've been working on righting my wrongs and trying to become a better person - someone that people would like to be around and is pleasant to talk to. I've been slowly undoing my negative outlook on life and started to open my heart again to the possibility of finding religion again.

Something happened the other day though. You could call it a coincidence but it felt too on the nose to be a coincidence, so after hours and hours of thinking I deduced that it was destiny. Ever since, I've been researching Christianity and trying to find intellectual rebuttals to my atheistic claims and questions. I'm starting to find that they don't really stand to scrutiny. I went to the church yesterday and talked to a priest. I prayed for God to place himself into my heart and that my heart was finally open for him again. I wasn't sure what I believed but I figured that it was worth a shot. If God doesn't exist, then I live my life as I did previously. But if God exists, then I could gain joy and spiritual fulfillment. In the end, it didn't matter and I had nothing to lose. I recall crying tears (joy? sadness?) while I prayed. It felt like something open a salve in my spiritual heart and love just pored through. Today I went to mass and cried twice. Once during a song and once during a prayer. I distinctly remember thinking that no philosophy that I've read could explain that feeling.

Right now I'm standing here not sure if I'm an atheist anymore and will be taking classes to become Catholic starting next month. I have so many questions about God/Jesus and I fully plan on having them answered sufficiently. I still have doubts, misgivings. But the doubts and misgivings don't outweigh the feeling I have when I pray in that chapel.
by Himuro
Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Religion

I actually feel amazing about myself and have the past few months. :D As for the rest of your post, I will get to it later. I simply do not have the time now to do a proper rebuttal. But order and chaos is one of the things that kept me from believing. In my eyes, a world where bad things happen, where entire suns are sucked in to black holes is clearly chaotic because the conditions seems random. That was my conditional philosophy on why I personally did not believe in a God. But as I see more order, the more that turns my philosophy on its head. So I'm willing to get more into it but simply don't have the time right now besides express how I feel about order and chaos.
by Himuro
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: one shenmue song...

New Departure easily because of that one video where they distill the entire Shenmue story through that one song.

phpBB [video]
by Himuro
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: one shenmue song...

KidMarine wrote: The one that plays when Ryo wakes up on Wong's boat. I wish I could remember what it was called. Gives me chills every time.

Morning's Fog Wave

phpBB [video]
by Himuro
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Let's compile a best of Shenmue music video for Shenmue Dojo

As we all know, the wonderful Ziming always makes excellent videos for music on the Dojo youtube channel. Sometimes I'll pick a video and just listen for a few hours doing work. I know others do the same. But sometimes I want to hear my favorite songs uninterrupted. So I thought, why won't we have a community effort to make a best of Shenmue music, if Ziming were willing to make it of course. I think it would also be good to set up a Patreon for the Dojo and especially Ziming for doing such excellent work over the years and staying positive that he and Yama have done for us. This video could also be useful in showing people the power of Shenmue's music by having all the best songs in one video.

Some obvious picks:

- A New Departure
- Morning Fog's Haze
- Shenhua
- Shenmue Tree
- Arrival at the Crag
- FREE songs
- Nightfall
- Green Market qtr
- The Sadness I Carry on My Shoulders
- Christmas on Dobuita Street
- Shenmue theme
- anything Guilin honestly

Let's make it a 2 hour or so mix! Post your favorite songs that you think should be added!
by Himuro
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

If they're going to port it to Switch I hope they have the foresight to do so AFTER production has ended so they waste resources Mighty No 9 style. Switch version could possibility give us more money as well by way of Nintendo.
by Himuro
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Oh! I'm glad you've joined us!
by Himuro
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He was fucking around.
by Himuro
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

> AAA games

> depth

Sure there's some exceptions but ahahahahaha what

True, but I'm referring to how the first two games were, where you can open up almost any closet and/or dresser door and find something. Plus, I wonder if they'll pull a Yakuza with the voice dialogue, using text instead of actual voice for content outside of a cut-scene, for example.

We don't know the answer to any of these things.
by Himuro
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone notice that when Ryo is standing there and it's dark there's a transition? Nightfall perhaps? \:D/
by Himuro
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Himuro's definitely right about that being Media Player Classic. The scene at 1:29 is being rendered in engine however. You can see that Unreal is the active window in the taskbar.

I still don't think the footage is trailer footage though. The hard cut from what seems to be a flashback to the journal doesn't look right to me, even from a gameplay standpoint. I don't think that scene is quite finished yet.

Interesting stuff. I guess we just need to wait and see.

Good eye.

Yeah, we'll have to see! Can't wait to see the fruits of their labor and love!

As an aside, I think the scrubs guy is kind of cute. I thought he was hot with those glasses on. :heart: :king:
by Himuro
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Finally getting around to continuing my playthrough of Disk 4 of Shenmue II (which I encourage everybody to do thanks to the added context it lends to areas like Bailu in the wake of Shenmue III)

I wrote about this before around when SIII was first announced. Disc 4 is a revelation.

Can be found here:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48024&

It's a highly positive topic following the triumph of the announcement/KS. Highly suggested for feel good Shenmue fan emotions.
by Himuro
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Excellent post, Flagship!

The direct sequel thing is both good and bad. Good because that's what I want. Bad because I'm scared how non-fans will react to it.
by Himuro
Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who is that?

Anyways, ever notice people like that have never played Shenmue II? How the fuck am I supposed to take you seriously when you say there are no character arcs if you haven't played II? Let's judge Star Wars just by A New Hope while we're at it, why don't we?
by Himuro
Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So he wasn't a fan? That's kind of pathetic.
by Himuro
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #66: Reimagining Shenmue III

Jibby. Plz. I need an update and I know this is a joke but it didn't help.

Oh right, it's April Fools. Sigh. Fell for it.
by Himuro
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona 5

Hmm.

Couple things as I play more and get into the meat of the game.

Dungeon design - linear but interesting gimmicks. Nothing notable so far. Considering Atlus' penchant for excellent dungeon design, soemthing to look at as the game progresses.

Freedom - complete backstep from P3. In P3 you have multiple cycles through the day. While in 5 you are stuck with really one choice per day. This seems good at first because it makes things more tense. But then the next day you decide to go to the dungeon. In P3 you could prep. After school you have the choice of hanging out with an s link or going to a club or working a job or studying in the library. Right now in P5 I have items I want to sell for sweet cash to build up my compendium. Except I can't because by choosing "let's go to the dungeon today" it automatically goes to the rooftop and I can't do anything else that day. I can't prep and make choices. Combined with the fact that you can only do the dungeon after school and not in the evening like in P3/4 makes the game feels small and limited.

In P3 I made a literal calendar, in real life, for how I wanted to go through a week in that game. I can't do that in P5 and for this reason it's not as addictive. Less sim periods means less choice. The result is what appears to be a smaller, far more guided game. Right now with 12 days left until my deadline the only real choice is to beat the dungeon. Since there's only one real choice, it doesn't feel like a choice. This completely ruins the Persona 3 sim game structure because what makes it so fun is the balance between day (school) and night (dark hour). If you always have to choose between dungeoning and school, there is no balance and if there is no balance then the game loses its unique game structure and gameplay loop. Awful design.

Battles - very boring so far for a Megaten vet. So far the only silver lining is that sp healing items feel limited so I can't just beat the entire dungeon in one day.

Story and characters are great but the gameplay...I just don't know. Still fun, but it just feel limited to me. What were they thinking making you choose between doing the dungeon and studying/doing a part time job/s links? Bad design choice.
by Himuro
Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone here like Dragon Quest?

I fucking LOVE Dragon Quest.
by Himuro
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I will never forgive game informed for spoiling KOTOR for me in some random ass magazine. Assholes.

Vanquish owns.
by Himuro
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

Making a new 16 bit era Sonic, a sequel to Generations, allowing Shenmue III to be made and giving Ys net use of materials, putting Bayonetta on Steam;etc are all pretty damn good decisions. Sometimes you guys give Sega far more flack than they really deserve. Sega wouldn't put Shenmue HD on just steam. Come on now.
by Himuro
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm sure we will get an update. They tend to record the rev room stuff in bulk.
by Himuro
Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 gameplay - Movement style and controls

I think you guys are insane.

Tank controls are not "immersive" and they will doom Shenmue III because you wanted to feel like how it was to play Shenmue when you were 16.

It is completely selfish to demand tank controls of this game and you will doom the project.

The only tank controls I could see working is Resident Evil 4/5 style.

no no... NO!
the camera should stick behind Ryo all the fucking time except for zoom into objects just like it was before.
and they should stick with Tank control not 360 degree movement crap.

I think this would be a recipe for getting savaged in reviews. Keep tank controls as an option but have an updated control scheme as default. There's a reason why they're called "tank" controls and not "natural human motion" controls. This is supposed to be a game for millions of people, not just the players from the Dreamcast era. It should be possible to cater to both.
i don't care about the reviewers and what they might think is necessary for modern controls.
i don't agree with anyone saying the "Tank" control is outdated! it's a design choice that could fit/not fit with the game associated with.
there is a reason why the previous games controlled that way (body movement & camera movement) and if it's not for the lack of the left analog on the Dreamcast controller it would be absolutely a perfect controls for the series.
everything about the movement and camera makes you feel like you are Ryo you are in his shoes and you are observing your surroundings. being able to move the camera around Ryo and in front of his face rather than controlling his head will make you lose a lot of this sensation.
and i am completely against your point regarding the "natural human motion" too
for example take a look at this video at (09:23) basically most of the games (if not all of them) using this so called modern controls the character would act like this when you rotate him.
https://youtu.be/xkN9oru-qCQ?t=563
how can anyone consider this as a natural human motion and Ryo's motion is not! Ryo's motions are more natural than most of the games i played in my entire life! you feel his weight and feel his body parts moving around accurately.

Doesn't matter what critics think? What about new players? You are dooming this game with this talk. Honestly, I've never, in my 11 years as a Shenmue fan, ever felt that the controls were a part of why I love Shenmue 1 and II. It's probably last on that theoretical list. Most of your arguments are arguing in favor of specific animations and aesthetic and not controls. You can still have right stick act as camera and still function as Ryo's head. You can even do more things with the right stick compared to R trigger. With Right stick you can move the stick up and down and make it function like Ryo's head. But you're thinking not about replicating the experience but replicating the design of the old games - essentially choosing nostalgia over function, which is the last thing we need. Furthermore, having a feeling of always being in Ryo's shadow and has absolutely nothing to do with tank controls but the position of the camera and Ryo's movement speed, which is slow and relaxed, even when sprinting. Even then, games like Gears of War have the camera placed so that it feels like you're in the characters perspective while not having tank controls. Your premise is flawed.

Honestly, I find the claim that tank controls are immersive and realistic funny. Like people turn around like robots when they want to turn around.
by Himuro
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Slot Machines return in Shenmue III?

I'm still not understanding the slot house's appeal.
Personally, it's just a nice bit of extra texture to the world. Do I visit the slot houses often in Shenmue/Shenmue II? Nah, but it's nice that they're there.

Like I said in my earlier post, a beat up slot machine in the warehouse arcade in III would be nice; if only because it would add to the lived-in feel.

I agree with that.
by Himuro
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #66 - Yu-san on story-building

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1872994

Greetings Everyone,

The intrigue, adventure and drama of the Shenmue story is a hallmark of the series which has ignited our imaginations and burns with anticipation in our hearts. In this month’s update, Yu-san offers a short discourse on plot structurization, thematic touchstones and story pacing. So, take your seats, class is about to start!

https://youtu.be/7-fLEb2h3DQ

Thank you again everyone for your enduring support throughout! See you next month!
by Himuro
Mon May 01, 2017 3:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Come onnnnnn Shenmue!
by Himuro
Wed May 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #66 - Yu-san on story-building

All reasonable rebuttals.

You'd hardly post them if you didn't think so. :lol:

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should appreciate most about the games, I'm only talking about objective facts, and it's an objective fact that the mysticism became more overt as the story progressed. You don't have to like it, but to be in any way surprised or disappointed at the thought of the Sword of Seven Stars playing a role in Shenmue 3, which directly continues from Shenmue 2's ending featuring the Sword of Seven Stars, means at some point you were kidding yourself about the direction in which this series was already heading.

Depends.

If it ends with Ryo throwing hadoukens then no, that was never hinted as to where it was heading.

The sword is just a sword. Why would anyone have a problem with the sword itself?

In any case, your argument isn't really fair. Shenmue IV could descend into a complete fantasy story and you could still defend it with "this was hinted at the beginning." That doesn't necessarily mean you can't critique, and given Shenmue's high penchant for being highly realistic, makes your argument even more lopsided.

Essentially, Shenmue can be anything you want. It had a highly realistic world but also hints behind the curtain of mystical forces. Saying that people should accept the mysticism at face value isn't really helpful because Shenmue means different things to different people.

Personally, I'm in it for the pathos and Ryo coming to terms with the death of his father. I'm in it for the adventure and intrigue and mystery. The last thing I'm in it for is Ryo shooting a hadouken.

Yu Suzuki could justify Ryo morphing into a literal tiger and just because it was hinted doesn't mean it'd be actually good .
by Himuro
Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It was my idea to send Yu a fruit basket. I also floated the idea of sending wine but Yu seems to have the alcohol covered.

In order to send the basket we need to contact someone who works on the project. I was thinking we could ask Alimn if we could send the team to say thanks for the hard work. Who can get into contact with Alimn?
by Himuro
Sat May 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hazuki00 wrote: The easiest way wouldn't be contact Cedric and tell him our idea?

Well I also want to surprise and gift Cedric too. The man is half the reason Shenmue III even exists right now.
by Himuro
Tue May 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

We've been talking about this off and on. We've had the idea of thanking the team for their hard work. This includes Shibuya Productions and YS Net. I think in the final or so year of development, it would really give a boost of morale for the team. They truly deserved to be thanked in a real, authentic manner that is deserving of the Shenmue fanbase.

This thread is for ideas. ShenGCH had the idea of a massive card that is signed by various Shenmue fans around the world. I had the idea of giving the team a fruit basket.

Any idea would be nice. We are currently coordinating teaming up with Shenmue 500k and possibly Team Yu to see what we can get off the ground because the team deserves support and thanks, and if the industry won't do it, like always we'll carry this by ourselves.
by Himuro
Tue May 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

I don't care about a delay so long as it's communicated effectively and they can show some footage to help people actually want to wait for the delay. I worry they'll delay it without showing anything to make non-fans give a crap.
by Himuro
Fri May 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

Like flowers saying "From Nozomi's Flower shop, by the fans of Shenmue Dojo"

This is really cute. By the way, the name is Aida Florist. I like the idea of a fruit basket, flowers, some beer for the whole team (Spag's can verify how many they have on the team), and a card.

I would like to do the same for Shibuya Productions, who has backed Shenmue III at a significant risk - there would be no Shenmue III without them. And, although people haven't been eye to eye with them, Awesome Japan as well.
by Himuro
Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic