Search found 656 matches

Return

Re: Shenhua is a ghost

Let me add to this about as I mulled this over a bit more tonight. When Ryo gets off the boat and talks to people in that very small village, there are people walking the trail which Ryo starts trekking on. When the weather all of a sudden goes from blue skies to thunderstorm and Ryo goes into the river and eventually blacks out, he then wakes up to find Shenhua and the goat, but the most interesting thing which may completely go over our heads is that since that point, nobody else is seen on all those trails, not one other person passing through.... In fact the whole rest of the game you see not a soul other than Shenhua. Maybe he's not dead per se, I doubt that given what we know that happens after of what has been disclosed. However, maybe all of that was sort of an alternate universe kind of like in Sonic Adventure, or even a dream? It did seem way too magical at the end compared to the theme of the entire game from Chapter One. Maybe after the cave Shenhua sort of dissappears, at least for a time and Ryo goes back to the home to find it's in a state of disrepair as nobody could have lived in there for years. However Shenhua's spirit guided Ryo to Guilin as the Phoenix is the spirit that protects life.

Now i got it! Ryo is a ghost! He drowned when he tried to rescue Shenhua and the goat.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is the closest Jujitsu style closest to Ryo's?

Shenmue brought an expectation for me that jujitsu had a lot of strikes on top of the throw oriented combat. Looking at jujitsu displays, that's not the case. It's mostly about throwing and grabs. I would like strikes too, but no jujitsu school I've found has an large number of strikes. In fact, I think jujitsu - and further, other japanese martial arts - just don't look appealing, which is surprising because the fighting style Ryo uses really appeals to me. I realize it's a game, but I was really interesting in doing something similar.

Old school Jiujitsu incorporated strikes into it, given that it originally came from the battlefield. The reason why the Hazuki style doesn't resemble jiujitsu is because it isn't jiujitsu. It's mainly a mix of various techniques of whatever looks visually appealing. As for Japanese martial arts not looking visually appealing, that's mainly because Japanese martial arts are pretty spartan in nature and are focused on maximum efficiency and no wasted movement.

Some of Ryo's throws like the uchimata, seoi nage(the basic B throw), and the tomoe nage (I don't remember the in-game name, but whatever the default <-B throw is) are straight out of modern Judo. The arm break throw looks like it comes from classic jiujitsu. The Swallow Flip resembles a classic Wing Chun move, though other kung fu styles practice it. I think there was a throw that looked like it came from Aikido, but it's been awhile since I last played and I could be remembering that wrong.

The striking techniques could have come from a number of styles, since many striking styles share the same techniques and only have minor differences in execution. Moves like the Mantis Chop and Iron Palm could come from various kung fu disciplines. The basic punches and kicks most likely come from karate and the more fancy acrobatic kicks are probably from Tae Kwon Do. The kata that Ryo showed Hanhui was definitely karate-based IMO.

The fight between Iwao and Lan Di isn't realistic at all and looks like something out of a Shaw Brothers film. However, if we wanted complete realism from Shenmue, we wouldn't have duck races.

I think the hazuki style mixes multiple disciplines. I'm no expert but it seems like it has a bit of everything.
Canonically, Iwao probably mixed in stuff he learned from various kung fu styles during his trips to China.
by Calshot
Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

I know a lot of us get delusional when e3 comes around, but it really feels like we're been building up to this moment for years now...

- yu reemerges from the darkness and starts giving interviews, acknowledges shenmue demand and his willingness to make it
- yu revisits shenmue at gdc post-mortem
- sony acknowledges demand for shenmue 3 and even claims "rome wasn't built in a day" when we were all pissed last year
- yu seen being chummy with various sony execs for nearly 2 years now
- yu resumes tweeting the god damn same week as e3 is one thing, but him tweeting a pic of a forklift is a freaking sign from the spaghetti monster.

Friends, it's been an honor keeping hope alive with you all these 15 years. If another e3 passes with no news, i'm not giving up.

That being said...

I believe our time has come.
by Xandui
Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LOL. Thread full of masochists here. It's not happening, HD or 3.
by ShenmueTree
Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just found that Shenmue.info was also updated on 6/2/15. This is a new site, originally created on 5/29/15.
The registrar info is coming from another Japanese location though, onamae.com. The main owner is being kept secret. Those guys have previously registered some of Atlus's trademarks. Persona5.jp was one of theirs, for example.
by CD_Vision
Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I also appreciate how events like E3 bring the community together a bit, and increase the activity on the site and beyond. Makes a change to the same few faces who make up the daily life of here.
by Peter
Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dunno, I'm really startin to dislike the Shenmue community. They seem a bit too smug n cultish, like they're sitting around a campfire agreeing with eachother on everything, with some enlightened look on their faces because they played a big budget game that no one's ever heard of.

I never understand why people think Shenmue will be a huge hit if it got re released. Sure when it's announced it will be big news but the day after no one will give a fuck until it releases and then some people might play it for a day or two. Shenmue has quite a small fanbase who're just very very vocal. The idea it would be the biggest thing out of E3 is crazy, Fallout 4 has took that crown and the only thing that could snatch it is a FFVII remake or Rockstar announce GTAVI comes with a free hooker. It would be just a normal story out of E3 and might just make the top 5 news stories on a few sites. The original game sold about 1 million copies and that was 15 years ago, many of the people who played it back then have probably stopped playing games altogether now. As much as I love videogames most people tend to put the controller down past the age of 20 and I don't see them picking it back up for one game. If Shenmue III came out tomorrow 2 of my brothers who played the original probably wouldn't even realize and that's most likely the case for a lot of the people who bought those original games.

Do people really think that a HD remaster will sell enough to warrant a AAA budget to make the third game? Think you need a reality check. People can say it was a game ahead of it's time all they want but a game like Shenmue is a much tougher sell then it was in the Dreamcast days when quirky games where the norm.
by Riku Rose
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I dunno, I'm really startin to dislike the Shenmue community. They seem a bit too smug n cultish, like they're sitting around a campfire agreeing with eachother on everything, with some enlightened look on their faces because they played a big budget game that no one's ever heard of.
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm calling it now...Shenmue "Something'' will be announced at E3 tonight and it will be the major announcement of Sony's conference. 99% sure. Here is all the evidence:

https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/317526010922954753
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/476285991255175168
https://twitter.com/JosephJBroni/status/512620941000863745
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/603154768022736896
https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/605836617157206016
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/606219350840705024
https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/602250660675854337
https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/610110764704141312

Shenmue WILL make its presence known tonight on the grandest stage of them ALL.

Yu Suzuki-san steps on stage and finally announces: "The story goes on!"

There have been people who have "called it" on this forum every year, for the last 14 years.
by myshtuff
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER!

It's already 1/4 there after several hours. They don't need a month.

Congratulations, Dojoers. After 15 years together, we did our part.
by KiBa
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

Yes, we are all hyped about the recent news about Shenmue 3 being made though Kickstarter, but the game will not be as good as the first two games. Looking at the screenshots of Shenmue 3, it looks terrible. It does not have any shenmue feeling to it. It just looks plain and generic. I know it's early to judge, but looking at these ingame screen shots, they look pretty bad. At least it's better than nothing.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/blink181/942936391c79b3d63a33c350a8add2bb_original_zps4snllw2u.jpg

This fucking guy.
by Joe Pesci
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Dojo and Shenmue Community linked on the OFFICIAL SI

HA, we got the picture with Ryo.
All the others can suck it. We're the main character.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dojo and Shenmue Community linked on the OFFICIAL SITE

One of the proudest things i have ever seen. Thank you Yu for acknowledging the community!

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11257739_10153420809657269_2528854018526807156_n.jpg?oh=351e42785ac7ecc01a2f6154d23a4a3a&oe=55EF7B4D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11427699_10153420809742269_1983519829995904545_n.jpg?oh=154735bd0cc38a9ee7f034253475872c&oe=562931AD

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11407240_10153420809772269_8740303766061667830_n.jpg?oh=d55e840d450ec04ee88159c2d6d86db5&oe=5630EE1F

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391322_10153420809812269_6660361130253710408_n.jpg?oh=c9726a1c2ad98f59c44362d88f4edb36&oe=5632ED2D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391571_10153420809862269_5843973390018055457_n.jpg?oh=0ac732c7c832b1b8ccbc1c549cf09a66&oe=55FC6091
by Peter
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To Be Honest, the Game Happening Is Amazing, But...

Does anyone else find it equally refreshing to just have this game be acknowledged? As in, for the first time in over a decade, this is an open discussion. The air of mystery that has plagued our community is finally gone. We aren't wondering what Yu is thinking anymore. He's telling us. We aren't forced to ask questions that we fear will never be answered. We will never again need to hear a certain, unnamed game publisher not "comment on rumors or speculation" or announce that there are "no plans at this time" ever again. Ever.

In some ways, the announcement has almost taken away a key element of what has made this community special for the past 14 years. Even for us lurkers who have kept up-to-date and silently supported this franchise that we all hold dear. In other ways, it's showed the strength of what a fan-base can really do.

We won't be looked at as the crazies who put faith in an unreachable dream anymore, but the crazies who never stopped believing, and showed that dedication and faith can be rewarded.

While I believe that the very fabric of this community has changed forever, now that our biggest wish is a reality, I just want to say that I'm proud to have been a part of this great group with all of you for all of these years. As a 12-year-old back in 2000, I never thought the journey would last this long, or mean this much.

Thanks for never giving up!
by NSN2014
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was at Club Sega in Tokyo the other day and left a message

I was on a two week holiday to Tokyo and decided to visit a couple of the Club Segas.

I noticed a board that you could leave a little message on so I decided to do what any Shenmue Fan would of done.

Funnily enough after doing it those "Fake" E3 screens appeared and also Yu Suzuki is back on twitter!

I know I am not the saviour of shenmue. I just thought you guys would appreciate it!

http://i.imgur.com/N6dYjtH.jpg
by Snoopbob2006
Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Forum name changed from "Future of Shenmue" to...

"Shenmue III."

DAMN THAT FELT GOOD!
by Yama
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Holy mother of GOD, EVERYONE! WE DID IT!!!! I donated $10,000 for a dinner with Yu. I know that's crazy but I couldn't fucking help it.
by LanDC
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

I want it to end on a cliffhanger. Life just won't feel right not waiting for a Shenmue game to be released.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 won't be that good

This is like sketching on a napkin, without sketching on a napkin... if you're basing anything on this lol.
by Yama
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No longer is Shenmue considered a joke

Fucking well said. We told them it would be big and we were important. Now Sega, the gaming community and everyone knows we did it. We are getting our game and they can all suck a dick. Lovely day.
Love Yu Suzuki.
Love Sony.
Love Kickstarter.
Love Shenmue.
by Axm
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What jobs will there be in Shenmue 3?

World Series of Darts.
by Taren Fox
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations, everyone! :D :D :D
We all did it together! =D> =D> =D>
by Kiyuu
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will Shenmue 3 conclude the story?

We don't need closure everybody. We need continuation. Ideally this goes on further than Shenmue III. We've been dreaming big for so long, are we going to give up with just the idea of III? Never be content with anything! Ever.
by Thief
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Shenmue's announcement didn't live up to my hype.

I think too many people took the mockup video too serious. It was meant to show the engine and was prolly done with zero budget - and personally i think the engine looks pretty nice. After funding is done i guess we'll soon see more serious tech demos.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega's Involvement with Shenmue 3

I see it more along the lines of...

Suzuki: "I wanted to use the Shenmue license again to..."
SEGA: "Yeah, sure, whatever, do what you want with it."
Suzuki: "Okay, great, what we're gonna do is..."
SEGA: "Get out of my office."
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Shenmue on a Budget"

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget

Interesting read, all. I don't think this has been shared yet. Apologies if it has!
by NSN2014
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is anyone else concerned that...

I'm not too concerned. I saw this part of the chapter playing out like a lot of old kung fu flicks. Like uh....like the movie kickboxer when Van Damme started scouting for the trainer in thailand. It had a lot of ancient ruins and small villages. I mean the movie was silly as fuck but you get the idea I'm trying to communicate here.
It's like Ryo goes from the modern world to the ancient where he becomes enveloped in the mysticism of nature and the old ways etc etc etc.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.
by elmatto
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, fuck , guys. I still can't believe this is actually happening. It was around 3am here when I saw the news and watched the trailer, so I was already in bed watching it on my phone, and I was utterly speechless, before cheering and proceeding to be extremely hyper, leaving my boyfriend extremely confused (though he understood once I explained - he's heard me witter on about Shenmue enough times!). I can't believe after all this time it is finally a reality. I was 14 years old when Shenmue II came out...now that I'm a 28 year old with actual responsibilities and stuff, I could only really afford a $29 pledge, but I knew I had to pay at least something. Like many others, I'm not entirely sure about the way Ryo and Shenhua look, but I'm sure this is only something they quickly knocked together for the trailer and they will look more like their old selves in the final game.

But yeah...I kept daydreaming about the day when this would happen (even faintly when I was beginning to lose hope), and now it's actually here...Yu, you magnificent bastard. You can tell how much he cares about us as fans, and in this day and age that is truly refreshing. I've been very cynical about gaming in general lately,, this current generation failing to excite me really, but obviously I must get a PS4 now (I don't think I'll ever have a PC capable of running it in this lifetime!). I'm already getting excited about posting here again and being a part of all the pre-release buzz, where we will no doubt analyse every screenshot and trailer we receive to death and back. And now I can finally play through the first two games without getting depressed :P

It's been a hell of a wait guys, but hopefully it will be worth it. We only went and fucking did it!!! :mrgreen:
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Let's see -

*Went to uni, got an English Literature degree
*Got a few full time jobs, the current one being a support worker for people with autism (with shit pay for what it involves)
*Realised I was gay and came out gradually to family and friends
*Moved out of my parents house
*Got a long-term boyfriend, who I currently share a house with
*Started writing a novel, and also currently trying to get a poetry collection published

It's crazy to think all this has happened in my life since Shenmue II came out...and by the time 3 does, I will be 30 years old...goddamn...
by Miles Prower
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Kickstarter Estimation

It already surpassed Wasteland 2 which was not just a long anticipated and advertised game with a massive fan base but also one that was announced ages before fund raising even started. Shenmue 3 was pretty much a surprise and it did in hours what took Wasteland 2 (great game btw) over a month. So no good time for pessimists like me. And keep in mind that many people are on summer vacation right now and didn't even hear about it yet.
by Master Kyodai
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

Typical Shenmue.

Doesn't make sense but sounds great anyway
by lavrentis
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In the hands of people who actually know what they're doing, this Kickstarter could've been a hell of a lot more successful.
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In the hands of people who actually know what they're doing, this Kickstarter could've been a hell of a lot more successful.

The whole process reeks of being very amateur. It's E3 week so we should see Yu on every livestream and doing interviews with every media outlet. All we've seen of him is on Playstation's official livestream and an interview with some French guy. It seems to have done this well on being Shenmue alone and these so called Kickstarter experts haven't done much.

When Bloodstained and the Banjo type game got announced on Kickstarter they had interviews going live the minute the Kickstarter went up.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Immersive Realism Features>Story, Y Shenmue 1 is GOAT.

Himuro wrote: Huh? Why would Ryo go back to Japan without having fought Lan Di?

Booty call from nozomi.

Ah, yeah, it's Ryo, not happening :sad:
by shredingskin
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I personally think Shenmue 3 is going to be similar to the first game in a lot of ways. Shenmue 2 was certainly more action-packed than the first game, but it didn't really have a small-town feeling. Now we're in Guilin... and it doesn't get more small-town than that. I think you're going to get a lot of the aspects that made you like the 1980's Yokosuka in Shenmue 3, despite not actually taking place in Japan.
by Thief
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

shredingskin wrote: Shenhua is not Ryo love interest.

You're right, it's Fangmei.
by Thief
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I love shenmue, I love the story but the real reason why it was so amazing was because it was pushing the envelope at the time. The game was truly immersive, the amount of detail from arcades to forklift jobs was simply amazing.

I really felt like I was living in 80's japan.

Shenmue 3 needs that, I know its hard because they arn't gonna have that $50-$70 million budget but they need to capture that immersion.

Don't get me wrong the Shenmue story is great but that feeling of immersion is much much better...Yu Suzuki can't forget the reason Shenmue 1 is considered the GOAT.

Shenmue 2 Hong Kong didn't feel much immersive either, there was something missing.

The way Shenmue 2 ended was very strange, it seemed to be leaving that realism 80's world which is extremely relatable to the modern gamer today to 80's China village, which doesn't sound much appealing.

I really hope that Shenmue 3 takes place in Japan for the most part...Chinese villagies just doesn't have that immersion 80's japan does.

As for the story, it's been getting more and more "mystical", not sure if this is a good thing but I hope the game for the most part feels like real modern life.

Some of the Realism Features I want is.

>Eating is required now, will make those tomato convenience store useful
>AI reacts to you doing weird stuff like running around,staring at them, looking at wall

If Shenmue made me feel like I was living in my japanese hometown. Shenmue II made me feel like an immigrant going abroad in an adventure. Never once I felt a lack of immersion on SHII.

Shenmue II ending wasn't strange if you have been following the story since the beginning, in fact you could even say the meat and bones of the saga only starts after that point. Since the prophesy can only begin after Shenhua and Ryo meet.

The game teases you with ancient Chinese culture since the very beginning. It was always the focus of the game narrative.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Himuro wrote: But Guizhang didn't leave with Ryo. He's not Ryo material. Ren is going to meet up with Ryo because he smells money, but in reality he's chasing after the man of his dreams and he just can't admit it yet.

Wow... Now you have convinced me! REN for the winner.
by sand4fish
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One of the best things about the series so far is how it evolved naturally, like a proper adventure would, without being afraid to take the player and Ryo out of their comfort zone. As others have said, Shenmue 2 feels strikingly different to Shenmue 1, but it still felt like the natural progression of Ryo's journey. It didn't add anything new and spicy just for sake of adding something new and spicy, like so many other game sequels do, yet also wasn't afraid to leave behind it's old trappings and move into new territory (literally). Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 both respectively gave me such unique feelings and experiences, and each feeds into the other and enhances the other.

The last disc on Shenmue 2 took us into new territory again, but only really gave us a taster of it. I think it's obvious by now that this more rural direction is where Shenmue 3 is headed. I personally welcome this, and look forward to seeing how the 1980's Chinese countryside will make me feel. Not many other games would take us to such a place.

As for the mystical "mumbo jumbo" some people are talking about. That's as much what makes Shenmue for me as anything else in the game. It wouldn't be Shenmue if it didn't have that slight contrast and tension between the realistic and mystical/supernatural. In fact, it wasn't even really a "tension" at all, that's the wrong way of putting it. The games blended the two so skillfully that the mystical starts to seem realistic, and realistic starts to seem mystical. It's takes it all in it's stride throughout, handling both elements with a unbelievably deft hand.

I don't have any doubts that Yu will continue to weave the quotidian and the extraordinary as successfully as he did in the first two games. Yes, the end of Shenmue 2 was a blockbuster, jaw to floor moment, but wasn't it amazing. And I'm sure Yu knows as well as we do, what made that moment so special, was that the games didn't throw this stuff at us willy nilly. It was a special scene for a special moment, and executed brilliantly. Probably more than anything else, the Shenmue games made me feel like there is more to world than we realise, more than what meets the eye. Sure you can say it's all just cliched orientalist mumbu jumbu mysticism if you want, but no other film or game has made the supernatural, or the seemingly unbelievable, feel so believable to me.

So it's only fitting that the unbelievable, Shenmue 3, has just been made believable.
by mue 26
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Then go play Shenmue 1.
There are other ways to build immersion in a game, and Shenmue has always done it through different methods depending on the setting. Immersion is about creating a convincing atmosphere, not directly catering to your personal tastes.
The word you're looking for is "appeal," not immersion.
by OL
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Agreed about the main page. The Dojo used to be THE place to go for Shenmue news...can more of the fresh information be posted on the main page, with more room to view past news, like it used to be? These are exciting times, I'd rather read Shenmue news here than on Facebook or gaming sites.
by Supa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, I was gonna say, the whole "shack" comment was kind of a gross little bit of stereotyping. :lol:
Shenhua's house wasn't even a shack.
by OL
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What modern gaming features would you like to see in S3?

Please DON'T have quest markers. This is a big deal to me.
by Taren Fox
Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Famitsu Translation & Scans

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6siygr66m2te2qr/i-wf0702_004.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bp8911gv5b7y5a3/i-wf0702_005.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/zhehbcn73zhkp9a/i-wf0702_006.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/bf1trmgz7tejf1m/i-wf0702_007.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6md3ql10x1ppiw6/i-wf0702_008.jpg#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6iot4869ui62rdr/i-wf0702_009.jpg#

thanks to kurushii for the scans.

Famitsu Translation by Axm and Switch

Feature Story
- Ryo Hazuki is coming back -

Shenmue III has set off
The fundraising campaign has started on Kickstarter

E3 2015 is being held in Los Angeles from June 17th till 19th (Japan time). Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) press conference was held in June 16th, a day before E3 starts, and a game creator Yu Suzuki announced the new “Shenmue 3.” He also revealed his campaign using the crowd-funding site “Kickstarter” to raise funds for this game.
It’s been 14 years since the release of Shenmue 2. What will this eagerly-awaited Shenmue 3 be like? Why did he chose Kickstarter?--- I have asked the executive produce Mr.Suzuki. (Interviewer: Famitsu chief editor Katsuhiko Hayashi)

Finally setting off the official sequel “Shenmue 3”

---The impact of the name of “Shenmue 3” is so great and it surprised me when I first heard it. Well, it’s been 14 years since Shenmue 2 was released. Why make Shenmue 3 now? Would you give us the accounts on how it started?
Suzuki: I have been always looking for the way to launch Shenmue 3, so it is not like we just started this project. Although it’s been more than a decade since Shenmue 2, there are many enthusiastic fans still existing and when I attend autograph sessions abroad, they always come ask me “When is Shenmue 3 coming?” For example in France, 80% of people who come to my autograph sessions are the Shenmue fans. The rest of 10% are Virtua Fighter fans and the other 10% are Hang-on fans or so. There are fans who still manage fan communities. Every year around March and April, the rumor “They say that they are making Shenmue 3” comes out and it reaches me.. haha.

---The eagerly waiting voices turn to rumors.
Suzuki: Yes that’s right. But slowly the fan’s voices have changed to something wistful. They say “It can be just a novel, so please give us the sequel story at least” or “Just manga is fine. We want to see a new “Shenmue”.” Those voices made me think that I should push the project forward somehow for the fans, no matter if I couldn’t make a full-spec game.

--- And for the means to make it happen, you chose Kickstarter. Why?
Suzuki: About three years ago, one of the fans who has experience using Kickstarter suggested me using it for the Shenmue project. That is when I first learned about Kickstarter, and started researching it. If it comes to really making the game, I have to make sure it satisfies my fans. So I couldn’t go like “OK I’m doing this with Kickstarter!” I seeked other ways,--- for instance finding a partner, but I couldn’t find one that meets my requirements. After careful consideration, we decided that Kickstarter is the best way to set off, and we were able to announce it finally in 2015.

---So you were just saying that you wanted to make the sequel, but really you have been working on it already for a long time.
Suzuki: Yes. Strong feedback after the Shenmue lecture at GDC 2014 also pushed me into coming this far. Sega agreeably licenced it to me and SCE also supported us by saying “We will support you if you are making Shenmue.” I knew that announcing the Kickstarter project at SCE’s conference is a very remarkable thing and am so happy that many people still support Shenmue this much.

---The title “Shenmue 3” is very direct and has no twist.
Suzuki: I couldn’t think of any other name. Shenmue 1, 2 and 3. It is not a spin-off. It comes to PS4 and PC.

---Its an eagerly awaited official sequel and fans will be definitely delighted. What is the goal of the Kickstarter funding?
Suzuki: 2 million yen at the very beginning.

---It must be easy to raise 2 million if it is for Shenmue.
Suzuki: However, 2 million is the very least amount of money you need for a game to come to exist. If it’s just 2 million, it will be more likely a very story-driven based game. If we can raise more, it will be more realistic for me to be able to do what I want to do. I want to try something new.

--- Just like you.. Your stance of “making something new” has never changed.
Suzuki: Yes. I will do my best to make a new Shenmue.

--- We will talk about this “New Shenmue” later. What are the pledge rewards for donating to Kickstarter?
Suzuki: I would like to adopt everyone’s opinion into the game to the extent that I can. For example if there are two designs of one character, then I will ask everyone to vote for each of them. I will provide the participation privilege for that kind of voting. Also while Shenmue 3 is under development, I will prepare a trial-demo so they can take a sneak peak of it.

--- So you are creating Shenmue 3 with your fans?
Suzuki: I think every one of the people who invested in this project has a leading role in it and I hope each one of them enjoy it. Please visit Kickstarter’s Shenmue page to learn more about the pledge rewards.

F: Next, I would like to ask about the key content of Shenmue 3. What kind of story developments can be expected in Shenmue 3?
YS: At the end of Shenmue 2 Ryo visits Guilin, said to be the most beautiful region in China. The area is famous for landscape paintings, and it has a river called the Li river. Shen Hua’s house is located on a tributary of the river. The story of Shenmue 2 ends at the point where Ryo reaches Shen Hua’s house, and the story of Shemue 3 continues right from there.
F: So, Ryo and Shen Hua will make an appearance, continuing from the previous part.
YS: For people who have played the Shenmue series, those familiar characters will appear as they were.
F: Will the setting be Guilin?
YS: Yes. For example, visiting a town(s) in the Guilin area, or going back to the mountains. Also infiltrating the Guilin chapter of an underground organization, the Chi You Men.
F: It could be said that Shenmue is the originator of open world gameplay, and has influenced many games since, but for Shenmue 3 what direction do you plan to take the open world model?
YS: When I created Shenmue 1, I was aiming to create exactly what is now called an “open world”. Being able to stop freely at any location you wish, advancing if you wish to move the story forward, or just standing still if you prefer. Back then, we called the system “FREE”, but in time it came to be referred to as open world. In Shenmue 2, with advances and technology and techniques, the open world was expanded even further.
F: In Shenmue 2, it was possible to walk through many towns over a wide area of Hong Kong, wasn’t it.
YS: Actually, at that time, I had decided that for Shenmue 3 I would delve in more deeply.
F: More deeply?
YS: Yes. People might expect that the open world would be made even broader, but in contrast to that, I will focus on depth. For example, for the case of 100 characters, splitting the development budget among them would limit the elements that could be incorporated into each character.
F: That’s true, it would make it harder to create each with detail.
YS: However, if we reduce the number to 10 characters, a lot of possibilities are opened up. The amount of conversation could be increased 10 times, or detailed A.I. provided for each character. As a result, conversations could be much richer. As an example, in Shenmue 3 the person that Ryo will speak with most is Shen Hua, so I want to portray her with depth. I envisage an approach where, by settings parameters for Shen Hua, on-going conversations with her will influence events such as changing her attitude, or changing the way that quests relating to her unfold.
F: I see. I think a lot of support for Shenmue comes not from just the realistic towns, but from the realism of the people inhabiting it. From what you have described, this realism will be further increased, and the world will feel even more “human”.
YS: Yes. In Shenmue this time I will be focusing particularly on digging down further on such internal aspects.
F: This is your vision for the new Shenmue, isn’t it.
YS: Of course, that’s not to say it will not be open world. Stretch goals will allow the town(s) to be expanded. However, what I would like to try first is to develop something that everyone has not anticipated; a deep Shenmue world.

F: I can’t wait to see this new Shenmue. Speaking of Shenmue, apart from its open world, its QTEs and minigames made it special, didn’t they.
YS: QTEs were originally included so that even people who were poor at battles could enjoy them. I’m happy that various games have included QTEs since then.
F: QTEs also had their origin in Shenmue, didn’t they.
YS: This time, I would like to show new QTEs; ones which can played by anyone, and which have carefully-crafted event sequences. In addition, I’d like to change the nature of free battles. (I will think of a different name, as I don’t want to call them free battles). I’d like to make a battle that is won by making the correct decision, rather than by correct timing of pushing buttons.
F: I believe Shenmue was made with the concept of being a game that can be enjoyed by any player, and this new system feels to be in keeping with that.
YS: Also this time I am planning a “technique scrolls” system. Ah.... maybe I have said too much (laughs).
F: Not at all, we’d like to hear more! (laughs)
YS: For example, with the free battle it is tough to practice and input the various commands required, so simply by obtaining a technique scroll you can apply the technique to help you win a battle. In the case of a QTE, the new technique could be unleashed during the QTE. I would like to make it so that a technique can be used to your advantage in battle just by obtaining a technique scroll. Furthermore, I’d like to make that technique scroll connect with various elements within the game.
F: Could you explain a bit more with respect to “connecting with elements”?
YS: Shenmue has had a number of ways you could play around, such as mini-games and gambling spots, but I have always been thinking about how to connect these together in some way. Of course, they are connected in the sense that you can take a part-time job to earn money, then increase that amount by gambling, then buy weapons... but not that kind of connection, something much closer. If the stretch goals can be reached and more detailed elements incorporated into the open world, this will allow technique scrolls to serve as the pivot for connecting together the various side games. That’s the kind of direction I would like to take it.
F: I see. So various elements of the open world will be connected together in a more natural way. Apart from that, are there any other elements that you are keen to include in Shenmue 3?
YS: One particular part of Shenmue that fans seem to have fallen in love with is the forklift part-time job, which is extremely popular. So I really want to include it in Shenmue 3 too, but how can you operate a forklift deep in the mountains of Guilin (laughs). I haven’t stopped thinking about how to find some way to include a forklift (laughs).

F: Please tell us about the development set-up for Shenmue 3.
YS: This time, the main development company is Neilo. The representative for Neilo, Takeshi Hirai, worked as the chief programmer for Shenmue and has a good understanding of Shenmue.
F: Since Shenmue is an open world game, I had thought that working with an overseas development company that is experienced in open world games would have been an option.
YS: Yes, that may have been an option. However, the main distinguishing characteristic of Shenmue is its culture. I believe that users overseas also have taken interest in the culture and customs of Asia. People have said they appreciate it when Ryo says “Thank you” for the smallest thing, for example. Someone who has worked all along on creating Shenmue understands that kind of culture and values.
F: So this time, development will be using Unreal Engine 4, won’t it.
YS: I have been looking at various engines for Shenmue 3 for the past 3 years, but the colors of Unreal Engine 4 are closest to those I envisage for the world of Shenmue. Although that’s a pretty broad statement, given that it’s a technical topic. The feeling of slight dampness in the air, the skin colors, the feel of materials etc were closest to my ideal.
F: Apart from the Neilo staff, are there others participating who have worked with Shenmue before?
YS: Yes, of course. I wanted to build up the team with past members as I believe that gives the fans some reassurance. Among others are scenario writer Masahiro Yoshimoto, and Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of the character designs.
F: Given that this project is coming to life 14 years after the previous release of Shenmue, everyone must be very surprised.
YS: Mr Yoshimoto has been active in the world of television, and reacted with surprise saying “With television, producing something new with a theme that is 14 years old is unheard of”. But Mr Yoshimoto told me that he made many discoveries through his experience with Shenmue. Later on, I plan to release a video with comments from Mr Yoshimoto and the rest of the staff, so please watch out for it.
F: We are looking forward to seeing it. The fans are sure to be happy.
YS: I have gathered together quite a few of the original key members who gave Shenmue that special feel. I’m sure this will bring a feeling of both reassurance and nostalgia.
F: By the way, it may be a bit impatient to ask, but do you already have in mind how things will progress after Shenmue 3?
YS: Of course, I have that in mind. But first and foremost, I’d like to put primary focus on Shenmue 3.
F: When is the planned release date for Shenmue 3?
YS: I’d like to release it by the end of 2017.
F: That’s quite some way off, but we can’t wait. From speaking with you today, I can really appreciate the challenges that you are taking on of producing a new Shenmue. Finally, do you have a message for all the fans who have waited all this time for Shenmue 3?
YS: The fans have told me over the course of 14 years how they wanted part 3 to be made, and I have always told myself that I had to find some way to make it. And now, through the crowd-funding of Kickstarter, at last I have been able to make a start on the Shenmue 3 project. In order to bring about a Shenmue 3 that incorporates a perfect blend of both a Shenmue that everyone desires, as well as a Shenmue with the new challenges I want to take on, everyone’s effort is needed. Thank you so much for your support.

Picture captions:
1) This image shows the figures of Ryo and Shen Hua walking on a mountain path. Note that Ryo has changed clothes from the leather jacket he wears in the first and second parts of the series.
2) Using a telescope, Ryo observes buildings below a cliff. According to Yu Suzuki, before Ryo lies the enemy’s camp, which Ryo is searching for a way to infiltrate.
3) Shen Hua and Ryo, drawn by Kenji Miyawaki who is in charge of character design for the series. Shen Hua, the main heroine, did not appear much in the first and second parts of the series. In Shenmue 3, she will surely take a principle role.
4) Niao Sun, one of the leaders of the underground organisation opposing Ryo, the Chi You Men. Although her existence has previously been revealed, she has not made an in-game appearance until now.
by shenhua legend
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic