Search found 811 matches

Return

Re: DuckTales is back - Wooooo!

The most interesting thing about this to me is that, along with the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games, it seems like Capcom is becoming much more willing to re-release/revisit old licensed classics.
It's just a blind bit of hope, but I'm suddenly hankering for a re-release of the old Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Punisher beat-em-ups. Feels like a slightly more reasonable hope to have now.
by OL
Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Just beat Front Mission: Gun Hazard last night.
Considering that it was once a game I thought I would never get to finish (before I discovered repro carts), it was a damn good feeling to actually get through it. It's much longer than I thought it would be, too; granted, much of my time was spent leveling up, but it's still a much more expansive story than you'd normally ever get with a side-scrolling run-n-gun.
Of course, that also means that you'd better be really fond of run-n-gun gameplay, because there's not a whole lot of variation here. Sure, you can customize your Wanzer in plenty of different ways (mostly with different weapons), but launching missiles honestly isn't much different from firing a vulcan cannon. So there's a lot of repetition.
But I'm always fine with that, as long as it's fun.
I think the only thing I really didn't like much about the game was the sort of "randomly-spawning" enemies that litter each stage. Sure, they provide a simple, accessible means for leveling up; a bar at the top of the screen basically shows how many more enemies will keep coming in, which means you can sort of section-out which areas will be good for leveling up. But they also detract from the atmosphere a bit. They almost come off like the constant stream of enemies that pop up in old games like Last Battle; they make it feel a little hollow. Eventually you figure out that if you find the right place in a level, you can easily aim in a certain direction and just pick the enemies off as they continue to show up.
Easy XP.
I would have much preferred if each stage simply had a set number of enemies stationed in specific spots around the level, as with most games. Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (which shares the same basic gameplay) was like that, and had a much more effective atmosphere because of it, despite being an overall smaller production.
Still, most of the bosses are really fun to fight, and some of the levels provide a great surprise or two. One early level has you exiting your Wanzer to explore a peaceful little town... until rebel guerrillas launch nerve gas on the place, and you have to dash back to your Wanzer for protection. Even though the gameplay itself is relatively limited, the situations you find yourself in are occasionally really fun and interesting, which more than makes up for it.
by OL
Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dear SEGA...

who the fuck wants a sequel to blue stinger?
by south carmain
Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

After watching nothing but shit, I finally put on Terminator 2.

Aaahh...much better.
by Kenny
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that made you melancholic today

So with that said, let the woe begin! I'll start us off: I find the fact that :( is not the correct input for :sad: on this forum, to be distressing. Also, the squirrel in the other thread :(

I waited so damned long for someone else to mention that...

EDIT: On topic. The fact that I live in Scotland and even I'm starting to be annoyed with the constant shit and cold weather here for the past few weeks. Seriously, it's nearly April, and I wish it would warm a bit. Not even proper warm, just anything above 3 centigrade. Though I guess the whole country is in that boat to some extent.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Found my self in a Matrix mood the past week so Ive re watched them and the Animatrix.

Matrix 9/10
Reloaded 8/10 [Zion stuff goes on too long and slows the film down]
Revolutions 6/10 [Needed more Matrix, Neo and the final battle could have been much better]
by Who Really Cares?
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Nah, Peter's not crazy. While he may not have went about it in his usual manner, he put it out there without any filtering which I can respect. Ryudo, you do try to paint a lovely picture which is a way to mentally cope with your past wrong doings. I will say that you've stabilize to some degree and we can all appreciate that, though it doesn't change anything.

For the record, painting the picture of stepping down is just wrong and you know it. Let's be honest about what happened here. You de-modded yourself before I could see the tirade and hit the button. This was done to imitate some form of choice, but there actually was none. You didn't step down, you were demoted and rightfully so. You'll never have the option to return as staff, ever.

As for trying too hard to gain respect, it's not something that Peter is making up. I've heard it from upwards of ten or so members. You've done this since your tirade to come off as a changed person, such as flaunting donations, "good" choices, etc. I hope you have changed, but for yourself and nobody else.

Some of your posts are border line de-railing, substantially written or not. Various members (mainly thread authors) have soft-reported your posts to me, though honestly I hadn't the chance to go through them all until now. You post in just about every topic for the sake of posting, even with little to nothing to add to the central conversation. That's not said to demerit your legitimate postings, as there are many of them. Do take notice of this though, quality > quantity. It was in the TOS after all.

Lastly, your actions were putrid and you hurt us as a community. That wasn't a fun time and I'm still wondering why I was put through the unnecessary stresses of it all. You were let back on a single strike rule (something no other admin or moderation team would have let happen), so that is on us. It was your passion for the website as a whole that allowed this along with your seemingly legitimate sorrow coupled with the willingness to change. Looking at it from your perspective, there isn't much more you can do and I wouldn't want you to beat yourself up over it.

What Peter is trying to get across is that you constantly bring up the past and paint it in a very different way. You own up to what you want to, sugar coating the rest. Nobody wants you to bring it up in a negative light to constantly beat yourself up over it either. Instead, I think the community as a whole and especially the staff want to see some genuine acceptance towards your previous actions, with the ability to look one hundred percent forward without referencing to or manipulating the past in any way. In fact, that was part of the deal in letting you back on the single strike rule that you currently abide by.

Try to see it as so. He doesn't hate your soul, he simply wants what is fair to be fair. If you are able to bend the rules, why shouldn't other members? Keep this in mind, it's not for the sake of our ourselves but your own willingness to move on.
by Yama
Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

This place is boring now plain and simple. It's not hard to notice people not posting as much as they used to. I still pop on a lot but just don't see the point in posting nowadays. Every topic get's filled with stupid GIFs or youtube videos and no discussion is actually had. As for the gaming forums unless you like Ys you are pretty much looked down on and I know many people avoid it because of that as well as the constant whining about how the games industry is shit. I've spoken to people who post here about games like Halo who refuse to do it on the boards as they will simply get their thread ruined or people interrogating them.

I'm in the same boat as Pete and I'll believe there is a change when I see it. Ryudo apologizes every 6 months and says his changed only for him to carry on doing the same shit. The only thing his done different recently is mention that his changed every 10 posts. When he claimed that TEEPO always apologized and ended up doing what he normally does I almost went back and posted all the topics where Ryudo apologized for his behavior over the years. I almost found about 10 of the bloody things. Saying sorry and posting a Lion King video is all well and good but people don't give a fuck about that and would actually prefer a change in your tone and attitude.

I've always been wait and see on when you've claimed to have 'changed' only for you to do the same shit. Just realize you don't have to post in every thread and give your opinion on the same topic for the 20th time just because the last time you did it was in the same topic 2 pages back or if you have no opinion post a GIF. It get's depressing coming onto this place and seeing 10 topics saying you was the last person to post in them all even when it's for topics I can tell you don't care for.

Everyone remembers when Ryudo got demodded and this place had plenty of people coming back. Every time I logged on there would be tons of posts all from different people. That's what this place could be like.
by Riku Rose
Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What Once Was

This is a piece of the blog I just posted on my site. Feel free to share your thoughts on anything over 5 year ago, game, music, art, movies, shows, etc. Actually I'm getting ideas just typing this. LOL. I've been watching "Happy Console Gamer" alot on Youtube and he really gets me fired up. I really would like to add some episodes like his to my youtube show, but I'm so tired and lazy lately and just never make any more episodes. Probably going to cancel it soon.

It's hard to believe that I grew up with the same Pokemon that tiny kids are addicted to today. That fact alone is pretty precious and amazing. Gamecube came out shortly before I graduated as well as Xbox and we got to enjoy what was a very fresh age of new gen games and concepts. I will say that the Xbox 360 did a good job in it's life of extending some nuances of that great gaming era into the last few recent years. One amazing thought that I realize is the there was no Myspace, Youtube, Facebook, or any social networking at all when I was in school. That is amazing! It prevades every crevice of life now. Just try to imagine turning on your computer right now and not having those. In fact, we didn't even surf the web nearly as much back then, due to the fact that it wasn't the lounge it is today.

One of my favorite web bloggers did a video where he mentioned that back when we used to collect GamePro and the other elite magazines, there was no Google where you could search everything about the game up. You relied on the mags to get sneak footage of upcoming game. I can remember that so well. I really miss when we would get together over a strategy guide of say, Super Metroid, and decipher how to tackle the game. Or when we were in deep discussion over being stuck in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and for weeks we would battle with that and actually take breaks to go outside. That life has virtually no meaning now and I miss it. I must say that I appreciate the innovations that have brought such classics to things as simple as your phone or tablet. That is cool. But I would pay anything, to go back in time to the late 90's when Dreamcast was in bloom and SNES, PS1, Saturn, Genesis, etc were all at the height of their powers. There just isn't any time quite like it.
by Jokatech19
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Don't blame you. Too expensive and doesn't even taste good. I hate this whole culture of "going for a pint". I can't actually remember the last time I drank alcohol..
by Crimson Ryan
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixyBoXt81U[/youtube]
by Thief
Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

God, just such a badass theme. Faust certainly isn't my favorite GG character, but his theme is easily among the catchiest and most fun to listen to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwbcv_9bIQ[/youtube]
by OL
Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKENd-Sz60[/youtube]
by KiBa
Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SINGLE PLAYER GAMER (updated October 31)

Still sick when I recorded narration (so the delivery is a little off), but it turned out okay.
Dedicated to my dog Brak. I miss that little snapperhead.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f046xe-RneM[/youtube]
by OL
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otY4bLTJL9k[/youtube]
Favorite
by Cave Johnson
Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is another of my all-time favorites:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBRniPTOT-8[/youtube]
by Nankeiro
Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

ImageImageImage

"Buy two, get one free" sale at Target, so I figured I may as well indulge a little bit. Been looking forward to all three.
by OL
Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your most overlooked system or game

Phantom Crash for the Xbox. This was a really strange game to be honest. I never quite knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing in this game to advance, well I knew I had to smash up other robots, and I guess that was enough. I actually liked the bizarre style of the game, with it's talking animal computer chips and crazy characters, and it's obtuse nature only intrigued me further. The main bulk of the gameplay was centred around customising your mech out in an insane amount of ways, until it's an ultimate weapon of destruction, and then enter arena fights with other supped up mechs. I remember really enjoying the arena fights, they were fast paced and frantic. Mechs could often jump super high, turn invisible, or fire all kinds of missiles depending how they were customised. And all the while this carnage is taking place you get snipits of convo from the various kinds of animal AI chips each mech has on board.

So yeah, strange game, but it was really enjoyable, and if your partial to a bit of mech action I would recommend this without reservation.

I only discovered quite recently that this game did actually get a sequel. Though it's not surprising I never heard of it, as it came out years later, on the PS2, and under a completely different title. It even had a different publisher, so there was really no way of knowing the two were connected. It's a shame, as I wuold have loved to have tried it out. Has anyone here played it? I'd be interested to know what it was like.
by mue 26
Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wild 9.

Not the best game of all time, but it was good. From the company famous for MDK and Earthworm Jim, Shiny Entertainment. It has the best character designs i've ever seen but it came out in 1998, which is probably the worst time to release a non-flagship title. So naturally, it got buried.
by Kenny
Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Terranigma. Fantastic game, but was never released in NA.
by TwiceFriedRice
Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another game that I never hear anybody ever talk about is Ring of Red on the PS2. I'm actually currently playing this and it reminds me a bit of Front Mission, for obvious reasons. The difference here is that there is an actual real time/action side to the combat. It was the first game that Yukio Futatsugi worked on after the Panzer Dragoon series (he's the creator of that series) and it's such a change of pace, like he couldn't have a made a more different game. It takes place in alternate timeline where Japan is divided into two regions, North and South, with civil war erupting alongside the Second World War. It's very different from most Strategy games that I have played. Again, another game that nobody cares about.

I third Ring Of Red, it's a really interesting game and very under appreciated. I'm proud to say I was one of the probably only 3 people in UK to buy this on the day it came out :lol: . Hilariously enough, the last time I remember hearing this game get mentioned, was when the incredible(ly hilarious) rapper lil B was showing off his retro game collection on Youtube :lol:. He also had Shenmue, but I get the feeling he just raided out some old game shop that was probably shutting down, and has never played any of those games :lol:

Another game I'd like to mention is Ronin Blade (known as Soul of the Samurai in the US). I actually was only reminded of this game when OL posted about it a while back, it's an almost completely forgotten Konami gem. In truth there's not an awful lot I can remember about the game. I remember it being challenging and almost like a Samurai Resident Evil, kind of like Onimusha's forbearer in a way. However, despite my overall lack of memory, some small details of this game really stick in my mind and harks me back to my childhood when I played it, more so than a lot of games, for some reason. This one get's me feeling very nostalgic.

Another game worth mentioning could be Otogi. I absolutely adored it when it originally came out. A very, very atmospheric game. Though I think most people here have probably heard a couple of us mention the game a few times. I never gave much time to it's sequel, unfortunately, and I'm not sure way. It's shame really as I'd quite like to play it now, but don't know if I can be bothered to go through the hastle of buying an old Xbox just for it (digital re-release please, From!)
by mue 26
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, Otogi's still a favorite. Oddly enough, I was just thinking about it today. I really ought to play through them both again sometime soon.

On the subject of Xbox games, Breakdown was always a neat little gem in my eyes. Still one of the best implementations I've seen of a hand-to-hand fighting system in a first-person game. Not an easy idea to pull off, I'd imagine, but it worked really well here. The shooting was a little half-hearted, but no matter. The rest of the game felt great to me.
Always loved the story and stylishness of it too. Excellent plot twist about halfway through. Just a really cool game that never got a whole lot of attention.
Got it waaaay back around the time it first came out, and I must have gone through it three or four times over the years. That's another one I'm thinking I might want to play again soon.
by OL
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PS Henry, we have incredibly similar taste.

I was thinking the exact same thing after seeing him mention Deception (a series I'm really interested in eventually playing, and have been for a while) and Ring of Red both in the same post. :D

It's kind of funny thinking about it now, how two series that I would have mentioned in a topic like this only a few short years ago, suddenly have their own dedicated cult fanbases now: Shin Megami Tensei and Ys.
I've only been an SMT fan since playing Digital Devil Saga (about 8 years now), but it remained pretty much ignored until the very end of the PS2's life cycle. And I've been an Ys fan since playing the Master System version back around '93, but it stayed amazingly obscure until only a couple years ago.
Their fanbases have shot up surprisingly quick in a short amount of time, so I guess I can't really call them "overlooked" anymore.
by OL
Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

A lot of news worthy posts have been slipped under the rug due to poor categorizing and being lost in cluttered threads. We're doing away with this idea and moving on to a more active nature that allows users to participate easily.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CREATE NEW THREADS
by Yama
Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So i bought my first Gamecube

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Long time no see!

Still about mate. Just a bit less internet time. Found this thing called a door and outside is... outside.
by LawXiu
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

By the next week, i'll have final drafts for two more of my scripts. Not only that but I have two friends who are working on two scripts of their own that are simply AMAZING. I'm trying to see if I can get one of them under my production company's name.

After that, It's getting another draft of Project Exodus done. Then after that, we're going public. With all this body of work, I can't imagine not getting a gig SOMEWHERE at least. But the goal is still to make a theatrical debut with "The Assignment", and based on what I was told...that one is pretty much ready to go. But I still think it can be better.
by Kenny
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Sega Saturn reccomendations

X-Men Vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
Street Fighter Zero 3
Pocket Fighter
Dungeons and Dragons
Final Fight Revenge
Crows
Dragon Ball Z Shinbutoden
Dragon Ball Z Legends
Policenauts
Variable Fighter Geo
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Rockman X4
Rockman 8
Fire Prowrestling 6
Sonic Wings
Gundam Blue Destiny
Sakura Taisen
Sakura Taisen 2
by RyoHazuki84
Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I picked up my first game for my 3DS today

I've actually never played a Fire Emblem game but I figured this was a good time to start. Plus I needed something to keep me busy on my new system while I wait for Animal Crossing :)
by Thief
Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Gunstar Heroes
Gaurdian Heroes

XBL

Forgot I had points on there
by Bluecast
Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fave gaming intros

phpBB [video]
by Strikeout
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Flying through life: Meet the man behind Panzer Dragoon

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... er-dragoon

Love the series and still looking forward to Crimson Dragon which i now would say is 100% for the new console.
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Die Hard Vendetta. At that point I hadn't played a game like it (Deus Ex always crashed on my PC), so an FPS with stealth and slight adventure elements blew me away. Plus the fact it was a Die Hard game. The story and acting's pretty woeful like most games pre-current gen, and it always pissed me off that Bruce Willis never reprised his role (although the guy playing Al Powell did)

Little details like an almost perfectly recreated Nakatomi Plaza (used to spend ages lookin at every single bit of the place coz of how well I knew the layout from over 50 times of watching the first film, yes I was a sad cunt), the fact it realised that Bruce Willis (and John McClane as a result) is left handed.

Anyway, I thought it was always overlooked and underappreciated at the time. Played through it about five times before selling it so I could either get the PS2 or Xbox version for the multiplayer. Never got round to buying it on either though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZZpNng3jk
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Death Scenes

AUUUUUGHHHHHHHH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJqwuOXVJs[/youtube]
by Yama
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Death Scenes

Hagane for SNES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vepeGUny_Js

Not completely sure if this counts on the subject of "death", but I love it anyway.
After defeating the enemy, Hagane sits on a cliff, his systems shut down, and as the credits roll we see his body wear away over a presumably long period of time.
Surprisingly poignant for a 16-bit action game.
by OL
Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EA voted the 'worst company in America" [again]

Who Really Cares? wrote: But surely company in general has to be the banks.

This times a million. No entertainment company will EVER come close to the Banks as far as "worst company ever" titles go.
by Kenny
Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EA voted the 'worst company in America" [again]

You think some bored brainwashed extremists on the internet take up a high percentage of the people that dont like EA and are signing petitions to boycott them, and not only that but have the power/ability to actually get them to the top of the list of americas worst company? Give me a break.

This isn't some poll that was conducted nationwide by the government, reaching as many households and individuals as humanly possible.
This was some poll on "consumerist.com," which I can guarantee the grand majority of Americans have never heard of (I certainly hadn't), much less taken part in one of their polls.
So yes, I do believe that overly-passionate internet videogame dorks make up a high enough percentage of the ones taking part in the poll to put EA as the "winner" of it.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't even know what LBGTBLKSTD or whatever means. That wasn't a part of my point at all. I'm not saying EA are awesome, just that Peter Moore's comment on the subject of winning the poll made sense.
by OL
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega memories and fave Sega system

Genesis will always be my favorite of theirs. That's where I really became a videogame fan. I had an NES before it, but despite the great memories, I just hadn't reached the point of actually being passionate about games yet. That all came along with the Genny.
I've already talked at length about Wonder Boy in Monster World and Sonic 2 before, but I've also got great memories of gems like DecapAttack, Chik Chiki Boys, X-Men, World of Illusion, Toejam & Earl 2, Streets of Rage, and god knows how many others.
I recall my next door neighbor knocking on my door one Saturday and asking for my help in some game he was playing. He couldn't seem to make this jump in the last level, and wanted me to give it a try.
I made it on the first try and made him look like a fool. :lol:
And the game happened to be called Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master. Still a favorite on the system, and I still consider it to be better than Return of Shinobi, in practically all respects.

I also remember a Sunday school teacher in my neighborhood giving me and my brothers her Power Base Converter and her collection of Master System games, so there's that too. Spellcaster and the original Ys are still favorites. Now that I think about it, I guess Ys would have been my first legitimate RPG. I just hadn't recognized it at the time (didn't know what an RPG was), and didn't really consider that that was the case until just now.
Huh.
by OL
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dark Souls

Huge sigh of relief anyone? Because that looks fucking awesome. I can't wait.
by Tuffty
Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion HD

That's awesome! One of my favorite games on the Genesis. Day frickin' one.
by Yama
Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gangster Squad

Well, what a waste of time...
It's as if a group of people gathered around a table and started shouting things people think it's cool about the 30s gangsters, put it all together, but the movie failed so miserably. Not helping they went and use every tired old cliche and over melodramatic crap about people they didn't build up enough for me to care about.

Also, I just can't stand extreme oposites on the character department, the heros are just perfect people and the villains are cold bastards. And there were too many good guys with no personality whatsoever

I just have too much to complain and too little time, dammit!!
And what's wrong with gosling's voice?!?!
by Absentia
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon: It's time to party

I think it looks fun. Gotta take into account that this was done in 6 months, so what would you rather have them do? A few new weapons and multiplayer maps? Why not take the time to just take an established formula, which already makes a good game in itself, take whatever little time or money there is and just go crazy with it? Low risk, gives the opportunity for the developers to go nuts and just have fun. The setting's ridiculous! I mean in this world, the apocalypse had an apocalypse. This is set after Vietnam II. Don't ask why, just revel in it.

To me, I view this as the same vein as AC4. Would a seamless, open world pirate game have necessarily got the funding without the AC name attached? Maybe not, but who's gonna complain if they end up getting a game based on a concept they've always imagined for so long? Blood Dragon is the same way. Would you have gotten this neon lighted, knowingly culturally irrelevant shooter without the Far Cry name? Probably not. Red Dead Redemption and inFamous have also done something like this, so I don't see the issue.

It looks to wear it's influences on it's sleeve (I've seen plenty of Terminator/Predator/Robocop references in 10 mins alone) and if you watch the tutorial, is knowingly self aware that it is also a game. At least it's not so self serious as most shooters pretend to be lately. I don't see the harm, looks like it'll be a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvBP8cc2F4
by Tuffty
Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISrz88SJNI

I never tire of this soundtrack. I'll randomly hear it or think of it every so often, and every single time I get that urge to play the game again.
So glad I bought the Digital Devil Sage 1+2 collected soundtrack years back. Still some of my favorite videogame music of all time.
by OL
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic