Search found 121 matches

Return

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

I can imagine. Sony is announcing Shenmue 3, while Yu Suzuki's coming at the scene with a forklift, celebrating and doing the rounds around the E3 stage. Then he holds both the Mirrors, raise them up (hands up) while smiling, all the building is flashing so fast with all those lights everywhere, while Shenmue's theme playing on the background 120dB and a manly strong voice says "The Legend of Shenmue continues, now only on PlayStation!".

Suddenly everything stops. Yu Suzuki looks around. The crowd is screaming and yahooing with no end, and then, Yu Suzuki nods his head and says "I see...." while winking the eye and smiling naughty. Mark Cerny then hugs Yu and lift him up on the air (he's too thin after all) and crowd starts screaming again. Then Mark, in the midst of the pandemonium, says: "Sony is always says Make. Believe. and this is what we are here to deliver. Legends come true and greatness awaits... 4 the players!"

All are leaving the stage, smiling and bowing in front of the crowd, while the camera takes away the focus from them and zoom to the gigantic LCD panels, which shows a frenzy fast tempo trailer for Shenmue 3. Finally, an hologram of Ryo Hazuki, recreates all the scenes from the first Shenmue games, like drinking a Jet Cola and collecting capsule toys, while the whole stage is fading black.

I will dream nice tonight. :3

Then we all wake up and realize it was just a dream. But if Sony, or whoever, announces it I'll run out and buy that system as soon as I can. I want to buy that system! Apart from a Shenmue sequel I'll be sitting this gen out for quite some time.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

We would surely have known the joys of playing a Shenmue "water level." Water levels are notoriously hard levels to play.

But in all seriousness I think the series would be well finished by now. And depending on how much success we're hypothetically giving the series it could have altered the future of video games more than just QTEs. I still think Shenmue was cutting edge in the way Yu created a world and allowed the player to explore it. The ability to go up to any door and at least knock or open any cabinet was fascinating to me. It added nothing to the story but it really enhanced the immersion in the world. Today's video game culture has to have the protagonist with a gun, super powers or a fast car. I thought following leads and finding clues in Shenmue was exhilarating. No super powers required.

Another question that begs asking is: When Ryo's journey was finished and his father's death had been avenged, would Sega/Yu have ended the Shenmue series or would they come up with some new adventure for Ryo to go on? It seems like now days video game/movie/book/TV show producers can't let a series end. They either make up new stories or do prequels or whatever it takes to get another paycheck. Let's just take our hypothetical to the extreme...say Shenmue became wildly popular and its popularity rivaled Final Fantasy, GTA or Uncharted. Could Sega just let the story end? Would Wong have taken Ryo's mantel and go on some grand adventure? Would Ryo go to Canada to find Nozomi only to discover she's been taken by whoever takes people in Canada? Or would we play from a villain's perspective and see Chai live out his dream of playing Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings?
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does anyone else look at the current page number in a thread to predict real Shenmue news? I always say "oh they're still on page 12, guess nothings happened yet." But if I see "woah it jumped to 17!" I'll know there was some extra news.

Oh, and I had to set the controller down for a few weeks when that guy told me he ain't got time for no punk kids. I know I'm playing a video game but I do have feelings.
by elfshadowreaper
Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Apart from MS having Shenmue 2 for the original Xbox and wanting to build its profile in Japan, I've felt Sony is our best bet for Shenmue. They seem like the only ones listening when they ask gamers for what games we want made.

I think Nintendo would be more likely than MS to see Shenmue made because they really need people to buy their system or face a really grim future with the Wii U. And they have a good relationship with Sega. And I say all that as a huge Nintendo fan. I don't have a Wii U yet though, because I just haven't seen anything I can't live without.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...there are not more people like myself who are beginning to feel disenfranchised with the industry.

I'm yet to buy a 'next-gen' console and wont until I see a game that warrants me purchasing one.

I'm in the same boat. I've definitely played a few really good games on the now last-gen but I agree the industry is going in directions I don't care about, so I find myself in the unheard minority, which is sad because video games have been such a big part of my life since I was about 5. I like a good FPS from time to time but I don't want every video game I play to be a FPS. And I don't typically like racing games or sports games, so those are of little-to-no interest to me. There are a few future games that look interesting but not enough to justify dropping $300-$400 to play. I guess I'll be playing Scumbag Steve and asking my friends if I can borrow their X1 or PS4.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah it's easy for the doubters because we've got no concrete evidence and it's somehow cool to be stoic and deny dreams. But the second an announcement is made all the skeptics will be shouting "Shaaaamuuuuu treeeeeee" like the rest of us. We just have to be there with a big piece of humble pie to shove down their throats like we've ate at every major video game convention for the past 10 years. Just let us be hopeful. We're adults, we can take the disappointment.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CodingGenesis wrote: You've made my day! :D

I hope sony will make both our days later.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I like the idea of #whywontyoumakeShenmue3

We need to stop requesting and start demanding answers.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue is dead, guys.

Not as long as those who remain are loyal to him... I mean it... I mean...

But seriously I'm sorry we're souring the dojo for you. It's just that hope is all that some of us have left for Shenmue. It's hard to give up hope for something you care so much about. It's not like we obsess about shenmue every day all year. It's just a hobby. When I leave the dojo I think about shenmue from time to time but for the most part I'm spending time with my wife and baby girl or at work or serving at my church. Shenmue is just an escape. If shenmue is never finished I'll still die a happy man having lived a blessed life. Not trying to get all spiritual or anything. But please stay if you can bear us. We need some voice of reason when we can't see straight through our blind optimism.
by elfshadowreaper
Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

EDIT: And just to add a few more recommendations based on your list:
Tales of the Abyss
Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
The Onimusha series
Darksiders
Dishonored
The Darkness 1&2 (second game has better gameplay, but the first game sets up the story brilliantly)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a 9-month-old so video games are a luxury now as is my time(not that I'd have it any other way). I may see if I can borrow a friend's PS3 and play the MG Legacy collection. I like stealth games but hate stealth games that are ambiguous where I'm yelling "There's no way he could have seen me!!"

I've played most of the Tales games prior to(and including) Vesperia. Phantasia will always be my favorite because of how much it grabbed me emotionally.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Music

Oh shit. Another band I thought had lost their spark over time is Girugamesh, but I just listened to their newest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk22alvpfpQ

...and holy FUCK, that's awesome.
I was a huge fan for a long time a few years back, and I still enjoyed their newer stuff now and then (they never got bad , just not as good as before), but this one sends it over the top. I'm a big fan again. New album out sometime soon. May actually import that.

I'm a bit late on this but I LOVE this song. I'm not all that into hard hard rock anymore but if it's got a good melody like this song and doesn't have screaming in it I can't resist. Thanks for the suggestion. Is Girugamesh's other music similar?

The only J-band I'm really a "fan" of outside of anime music is L'arc-en-ciel.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shigeru Miyamoto asking what games we want for WiiU

Regardless of whether you like Nintendo or not we all want Shenmue 3. Well, Shigeru Miyamoto has asked Kotaku for its readers' most wanted games. Please go here and upvote this guy's request for Shenmue. We don't have to be #1 but if it at least gets high marks maybe we'll get noticed.

He'll be the first comment with this link:
http://kotaku.com/shenmue-u-1593787037
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

I was disappointed when I heard about the production of shenmue online. I don't like mmorpgs and didn't think that was the way the series needed to go. I always saw that as an evolution of the way they were going to take the series and not just a side story game. With the success of ffxi and world of Warcraft i could see sega pushing them down that path. I love you guys but I don't want to play shenmue with you.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

So I just beat Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yesterday. I have mixed feelings about it.

The game was great. I loved the controls. It wasn't hard at all, but that was OK given what type of game it was. The visuals were awesome. The game did an awesome job of fleshing the world out.

If you haven't played it don't read the rest of this...
When I first started I assumed I was playing two human boys. And that may be true, but as I progressed in the game a thought came to my mind: "What if I'm not playing full-sized humans?" And about 20 minutes later I realized I was correct.

There were times that I thought the game wasn't fleshed out enough. The part where I was in the tower was lacking. After seeing the tower for quite a while I didn't spend enough time actually in the tower. I thought maybe I would have an encounter with the resident of the tower but that never happened. And later all the giants I saw were dead.

Last chance, major spoilers ahead.....

I'm also a sucker for a love story, so when it turned out the girl was a spider I was really disappointed. I should have seen that coming though from the cave drawings and the girl jumping easily. But I know the game wasn't about love, apart from familial love.

What really left me disappointed was the death of the older brother. Once it was obvious the older brother was doomed the phrase "the young must die so the old can flourish" kept coming to my mind. I get that they loved their father and wanted to save him but for the older brother to die in the process of saving his father, while heroic, left me feeling kinda blah.

But I realize the ending with the younger brother wouldn't have been nearly as powerful if the older brother had lived. It was very cool how the younger brother had to use his brother's strength to swim across the body of water.

All in all it was a great game.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bays TMNT --- They come from space

I'll only order a pizza if they give me a cassette tape with the turtles singing early 90s rock.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

Cowboy Bebop is also my favorite anime ever. It got me into anime and really set the bar for all future anime I would watch. Nothing has lived up to it, but I've certainly seen a lot of exceptional anime. I'd love for CB to be revisited. Shinichiro Watanabe said several years ago "someday... maybe, someday" when asked about more CB.

It would have to include the whole gang though. I'll be wracking my brain for the rest of the day to see where I think they should insert the movie. I LOVE how they put Knockin' on Heaven's Door between Cowboy Funk and Brain Scratch. To fans of the show it's clear when it takes place because Andy is now Musashi but the three old men are still alive. Subtle, but such an awesome way to stick in between two episodes. It might be cool if they pick up right after the Bebop lands on Mars after Toys in the Attic.

If they did decide to make another movie/series that not only means we'd be getting new story, we'd also be getting new MUSIC! And everyone knows that's just as good as the rest of CB.

I've been watching Terror in Resonance. I'm liking it so far. The music is great!
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Silent Hills - Developed by Kojima Productions

I think this is part of why the western-made games were just so unfit to be a part of the series; I don't think the devs really understood any of the deeper, implied details like this. They just thought "let's make with the jump scares!" and forgot that Silent Hill actually has a really deep lore behind it.

Absolutely! That seems to be the cycle every IP goes through. One or two games/movies/TV seasons(SH actually got three good games, one fun, but only slightly less SH-esque) before the suits take notice of it making money and come in with creative differences. Then sometimes there's enough blowback that they reboot it. I really hope they get back to all the subtext and lore.

And I think atmosphere trumps jump scares every time. Jump scares are momentary but atmosphere just saturates you in fear. A couple of jump scares are fine but I'd much rather something scare me through the atmosphere. Like the balcony ghost...just him looking but not approaching or "trying to get me" is totally terrifying. I am horrified by the thought of something looking at me but I don't know it's there yet. But by definition I would eventually have to see the whatever-it-is and that's when the jibblies are cashed in and I freak out.

Here's hoping the team behind the new one remember all of this important background stuff.
I finally watched a longer video of the teaser (I thought I'd seen the whole thing, but it goes a bit longer), and I'm more and more sold on it. The overall style still doesn't feel distinctly "SH" to me (the main jump scare, for example, looks more like something out of Condemned), but I love the direction of it anyway. And I'm not bothered about the first-person perspective anymore; it occurs to me that the Room areas in SH4 were first-person, and they were easily the most unsettling parts of the whole game.

Nothing in there except the baby seemed very SH. From what everyone is saying it's more of a tech demo to show what we can expect from SHs' gameplay, not necessarily story, characters or villains. I do remember how SH4 had first person parts. The room was really creepy when you'd see the ghosts appear and you'd have to light the candles.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I've come to the unfortunate realization that I just don't really care about videogames much anymore -- I spend too much time looking at games on the internet, reading about them and what not, but I don't really care. I don't want to play them -- even when I try to I quickly lose interest (Shin Megami Tensei IV or Tales of Symphonia recently). The only games that manage to keep my interest recently are the one's I'm trying to speedrun, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, and that's because once I start to speedrun them they become more of an illusion of a challenge to improve myself rather than a videogame.

There are games that if they were released I would play them without a moment's hesitation (such as Shenmue) but for right now I just don't care. This fuckin' sucks.

I'm in a similar boat. There are games I'd like to play but at $60 I just can't afford a new game unless I really want to play it. And there are few games that I really want to play anymore. Most of those are established franchises too.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Remaster (Fan Made)

Screw Sega if it C&Ds him. As long as someone isn't making money on it, what concern should it be to Sega? If they actually plan on making HD remakes then I'd understand, but since they care nothing about the series they should just go back to making Sonic games and leave this guy, his talent and his love for the game alone.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Goddammit, man. After listening to that, I just had to go listen to even more from the OST, and now it's taking everything I've got not to pop the DVDs in and give the show another watch.
Aside from being my favorite tv show ever (animated or otherwise, doesn't matter), it's also quite possibly my favorite soundtrack from anything as well. So much damn life in every track, not to mention the insane amount of variety present. I can't listen to anymore or I'm gonna break.

I've been wanting to for years, but I swear one day I'll have this tune actually made into a real music box. This, or Memory. I'm still not sure which I like better.

I echo everything you just said. There's no franchise I like out there more than Cowboy Bebop. I've also looked into making a custom music box too. But there are so many songs that would be great for a music box. I would probably flinch every time it stopped though, especially if it were Memory.

I don't know what it is about Yoko Kanno that makes her so great at writing music. She's just a genius. She writes better jazz music than jazz musicians!
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

I'd love if Suzuki could just point blank say what is stopping the game from hitting development. I think the clarification would prevent a lot of confusion and worry if Suzuki just laid everything out with the fans.

I think it's as simple as Sega not wanting to risk more of their own money to fund a game that didn't prove it had selling power...or rather money making power. It apparently sold well. There are tons of variables as to why it didn't make money though.

The biggest in my opinion is the number of Dreamcast owners vs the number of PS2 owners. It basically showed that Shenmue sold very well and ended up being a great percentage of total Dreamcast owners. So if Shenmue had been released on PS2 it could have potentially sold better than the GTA games of its era.

So flash forward to today..you've got Sega which doesn't want to foot the bill completely but is open to other game producers funding a third game. But I have yet to hear any other company expressing interest in the game.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They've finally released pictures of the Cowboy Bebop limited editions from Funimation and Amazon. I still can't decide, but the Funimation package is now $64 vs Amazon's $89. I don't really like the size of Funimations because it won't fit in my DVD/BD display shelves. I've got shelves full of other junk Bebop would have to compete with. So as of now I'll probably go with Amazon's set.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/10/10/cowboy-bebop-premium-editions-revealed-see-bebop-at-its-best/
by elfshadowreaper
Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Just read the interview. The most important bit: the main reason why Shenmue 3 isn’t being made has nothing to do with Sega having the license at all. Sega will apparently be more than happy to give the license to Suzuki if he wanted to do it. The main problem is that first Suzuki needs to raise a budget for the game.

Just throwing this idea out there but what if we were to organise a fundraiser to be used as a donation to YS NET for Suzuki? Maybe we could find out the actual amount Suzuki needs, take a year out to fundraise as much as we can and then have someone like David deliver the donation to him. Is this possible?

First: Way to go aizen59! Great job with this interview. I only wish you could have published all you saw and heard like more info on Tentei and Baihu.

That's comforting to know Sega will play along. Suzuki will have to crowdfund. I don't see any way around it because Sony and Microsoft just aren't going to foot the bill. So Suzuki needs to get going on some sort of crowdfunding like Kickstarter. Once we get news of the crowdfunding we can mobilize the fans and the online media.

The only concern is that he's wanting to make at least two games, but would like to make three. I could TOTALLY see crowdfunding be wildly successful for one game, but I think the other two would depend completely on the success of the Shenmue 3.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jurassic World

I'm really excited about the movie. I feel like Hollywood is finally learning how to make good movies from past franchises(ie new Apes movies, Godzilla). So I hope JW continues the trend. I LOVE that this will be a fully functioning theme park and not one in development or some wildlife preserve. And that megalodon thing was awesome! It'll give me the heebie jeebies if(and you know they will) at some point the characters have to traverse the water it's in.

But I agree with Kenny on the graphics. The advent of HD really didn't help CGI any. For instance, the LOTR movies look so much more convincing than the Hobbit movies. You would think if any movie had the budget to push HD CGI into the believable realm it would be the Hobbit movies. I really don't care if CGI can emote more than makeup. The fact of having a live actor right there, in full costume with the human actor is loads more compelling than a green tennis ball. I'm positive 99% of actors would say the same thing. And that's why I wish del Toro had helmed the Hobbit movies, even though even he couldn't have saved them from the padded scripts.

And the T-rex from JP1 looks so much better than any of the other movies, mostly because so much of it was an animatronic. And that was perfect . When CGI became mainstream filmmakers(most of them) abandoned practical effects like animatronics.
by elfshadowreaper
Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jurassic World

The ship going to JP i says Isla Nublar which is the island from the first JP. The director tweeted that JW is a sequel set 22 years after the first. From what I've heard about the hybrid(called a D-Rex) is that it's a T-Rex crossed with DNA from an anaconda and a cuttlefish. The hybrid is due to people getting bored with the same ol' dinosaurs. We're seeing the park after years of success.

I think it would be awesome to do a chameleon/dino hybrid that could be seen in a kinda when-you-see-it-you'll-poo-bricks style where someone is staring at you somewhere you can't see. Those get me all the time. I hate the thought of someone looking at me but I can't see them. So when you view the movie again you can spot glimpses of the dino when the main characters aren't paying attention. Scary!

From the looks of the trailer it looks like they've trained at least the velociraptors because it doesn't look like they are chasing after Chris Pratt and he doesn't seem concerned with them at all. Looks like they may even race them given the gates they jump out of.

Here's a piece of concept art that some say is the D-Rex.

http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/diabolus-rex-dissecting-the-d-rex-jurassic-world-s-new-terrifying-dinosaur.jpeg?width=640&height=481

But I think the quickest way to ruin the JP movies is to add dino/human hybrids. Leave that for another movie. It has no place in JP.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Top 10 favourite games of all time

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Mario 64
3. Tales of Phantasia
4. Shenmue
5. Portal
6. Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Dead Rising
8. Mario Sunshine
9. Resident Evil 4
10. Shadow of the Colossus
11. Red Dead Redemption
12. Gradius III
13. San Fransisco Rush 2049
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Top 10 favourite games of all time

SanFran2049. What a fuckin game! Probably shit to go back to now, but still...

Yeah. I loved Rush 1, 2 and 2049. I bought the newer LA Rush game but it was stupid. It tried to be like GTA. I just loved the ability to take shortcuts in the originals. My friend and I played the heck out of Rush 2. We turned off the HUD and played hide and seek.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue E3 Discussion

It's sole hype for Shenmue HD, and if the stars align, a simultaneous release of Shenmue II HD.

If this is the case and Shenmue 3 isn't already planned as a definite followup we've got to be prepared to do everything we can to make sure the HDs sell. Do we even have a plan?

On a different note, is the thing about the site being hosted on an Amazon server true?
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

So judging by Yu's response to the question....Shenmue 4 confirmed!

Dear god I sincerely hope Shenmue 3 does well financially...

I'm already going to get it for everyone for Christmas 2017. "Merry Christmas, Grandma! No, it's pronounced 'Shin-moo.' No you can't play it on the Game Boy, but hey, I'm proud you know what that is. Just say thanks and open someone else's gift already. I've got to get back to the house to play mine."
by elfshadowreaper
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So where are these on the map below? How far should this progress the story?

by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People think that 4.5 Million is the end of the campaign, when its really not. The video shows the other 2 locations with ?Million and we NEED to get them. We want Yu to make the game he has always wanted to, not a cut down version.

See, the Kickstarter was to make a point. That's all. Sony doesn't need our money for one game. They have deep enough pockets to fund the game if they see it's beneficial for the company. The Kickstarter was more successful than any of us could have hoped as far as getting Sony's attention. So the idea of hitting Kickstarter goals to attain the next level in the game is stupid. Sony is now fully awake to our desires. Just make the game.

I also expect a big push at the end. I didn't bite until today because I wanted to really think about what level reward I wanted. Once people see the end they'll make the purchase to ensure they get their fan merch. Also, a lot of people who live paycheck-to-paycheck can't drop $200 in a day's notice. This will give them a month to save up. I agree with the $5-6 million by the end. If they release more stretch goals I think that will also increase the amount past the $5-6 million. But again, that's stupid.

I also think they should add more reward tiers past $500. I certainly can't afford it, but I know others would love to spend $1,000+ if the rewards are...rewarding.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Graduated college, got my first job post-graduation, met a girl, married her. And now we've got the sweetest 21-month-old little girl. Those two ladies are the lights of my life. Now Shenmue 3 is the icing on the cake.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kingdom Hearts III

^Kingdom Hearts II tried catching people up on what happened on the spin offs between I&II and fucked it up.

The HD collections are out now so it's easy for people to catch up.

The thing I remember most about Kingdom Hearts 2 was that you play the whole prologue with Roxis and THEN you get the title card. It blew me away that it took that long for the title card.
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We need to form our own campaign to get people who have donated to add $25-$50 to their donation. No shaming just trying to ice the cake. Instead of the monthly capsule push lets do a "$30 on the 3rd" and everyone donate an extra $30 bonus or no bonus. As people have said this isn't about goodies. Goodies are cool but we want the game.

If everyone who've already donated added $30 it would add $1.2 million to the pot!

I'll donate another $30. That's three trips to the fast food restaurant. Who will join me?
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

--- UPDATE 6/27/15 ---
Guys, I've been working feverishly today to get this site up. It's collaboration between me and my wife. She does the design, I do the coding. I think we make a good team. So, as you tweet and share about $30 on the 3rd please direct people to this website that will explain the campaign to people who may not understand:

http://www.30onthe3rd.com/

--- UPDATE 6/25/15 ---
I'm beyond excited about the response this campaign is getting! Thank you everyone!

As we're quickly approaching the 3rd of July we need to all step up our efforts to promote "$30 on the 3rd."

We need to focus on a different social media every day. Let's say days with an odd number focus on Facebook and even days focus on Twitter. If you see a $30 on the 3rd post share it. And every time you check the Kickstarter page for whatever reason leave a comment with $30 on the 3rd. I'm sure they get buried pretty quickly so the more often the more chance new people have to see it.

We REALLY need to get in touch with Yu and Awesome Japan and get them to promote the push. No one is going to have the audience they do. Can someone see if Aizen can tell Yu about the campaign and see if he can tweet it?

Also, don't dwell on the chance that this may not move the needle much. If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time! Focus on $10 million! I know Yu is.

--- UPDATE 6/20/15 ---
So Yu Suzuki needs $10 million. This is NOT unreachable. It's actually VERY reachable. If they open donations to PayPal as they've suggested it will become the avenue to Yu's goal. If we continue with the monthly thunderbolt and focus our efforts on donating $30 on the 3rd of each month we WILL hit that number. I anticipate the Kickstarter will end up earning between $6 millon and $8 million because at the end everyone who hasn't donated will scramble to get their rewards and those who have extra cash to throw at it will do that. Even if it only makes $5 million that's fine.

PayPal is the ticket after July 17! If they keep PayPal open indefinitely we can continue to give month after month. And that's where the "$30 on the 3rd" makes BIG strides for the campaign.

$30 is nothing to most people. If you are struggling to make ends meet, please take care of yourself and your family first. But for those of us who are stable enough financially we can make a HUGE impact for Shenmue. $30 each month adds up, fast!

Mods, please sticky this. I really feel like this is the best route to take. We also need to get the Shenmue Kickstarter/advertising team, Twitter, Facebook groups, the Dojo homepage and any other non-English speaking Shenmue fansites involved to promote this idea.

Stay sweaty!

-- END UPDATE --

We need to form our own campaign booster to get people who have donated to add $25-$50 to their donation. No shaming for people who may not have donated very much, we're just trying to ice the cake. Instead of the monthly tweetathon on July 3rd let's do a "$30 on the 3rd" and everyone donate an extra $30(or more).

At the current count if everyone who've already donated added $30 it would add $1.24 million to the pot!

I'll donate another $30. That's three trips to the fast food restaurant or four trips to Starbucks. Who will join me?

My twitter is pathetic, so whoever organized the tweetathon feel free to take over in boosting this effort on Twitter and Facebook. And mods, move this post around if you want to use it in the News section.

http://i.imgur.com/ecLqB1X.png

http://i.imgur.com/KlfJwR6.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/2442qdf.jpg
by elfshadowreaper
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Biggest Gaps In Gaming

Thief wrote:Shadow of the Colossus: Too much "artsy" praise turned me off -- that and it looks boring.

Shadow of the colossus is artsy yes but it's such an experience. Amazingly fun. Ico was ok. But please play shadow.
by elfshadowreaper
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

Someone should start an ama called "I'm waiting for the Yu Suzuki AMA so AMA."
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

If it's open world just walk back to Yokosuka and spar with Fuku-San.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm building a list of stretch goals to send to Yu and Ys Net to help improve Shenmue III's Kickstarter funding. Here they are:

Stretch Goal Suggestions
Feature Extra: Drive vehicles
Feature Extra: Customize Clothes
Feature Extra: Customize Room

While these may make sense in most open world games now, do we really want resources going to something trivial like Ryo changing clothes and driving vehicles? If we were talking about a multimillion dollar AAA game, sure throw it in. But we're lucky we're getting a third game. I'd much rather they put their efforts and money toward story-driven elements.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ideas to help the Kickstarter campaign

I'm trying to keep the 3rd of the month thunderclap going, except this time encouraging people to add $30 to their pledge. Check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47801
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall wants to help us

Check this part out. It seems to fit our situation.

https://youtu.be/xw6cMBzBSw0?t=229

We'd have to edit the video to skip a few parts, but if we can get someone to voice Fuku-san(shouldn't be too hard) and Corey to change a little of the dialogue it would be awesome! We'd also need someone to capture that part of the game, preferably in HD. What do y'all think?
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought it would be cool for Corey to do a VO right after he says "it's not enough." The VO would describe the $30 on the 3rd campaign.

If we had to I could edit the flyer in after effects. That would probably be quicker than modding. I can also edit the video. I've got creative cloud and I'm good with premier.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TGS 2015 - Too Early?

As excited as I am I really don't want to know all the details along the way. Just updated in his the game is progressing. I don't even want all the input they want from us. I don't want yu to give us what we want. I want his vision to be made real. He gave us two awesome games and I trust him to do the same again. So maybe just a short trailer here and there and that will be fine enough with me.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We should get him to help us do the "$30 on the 3rd" Kickstarter boost. Anyone know any Shenmue situations that would make sense for him to do a dialogue with an NPC about money where we can put in the part about donating $30? Maybe where Fuku-San gives him money to go to hongkong? That might actually pretty funny.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "$30 on the 3rd" Kickstarter BOOST

If they open PayPal for us to donate this solves the 10 million issue. Each month we continue our 3rd of the month thunderbolt except this time we donate $30 each month. This is the solution if we all get behind it! Who's with me?
by elfshadowreaper
Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic