Search found 16 matches

Return

Re: Final Fantasy

Then why are you paying so much attention to it?
I don't put as much attention to it as I do to your ass. I'd say I casually hate the fuck out of Square Enix, with a special fuck-you directed at Motomu Toriyama. Besides, it's not your fucking business why I pay my attention to this or that. Stop your lame ad hominem approach. If you're so desperately interested in others, though, then better start asking why Motomu Toriyama masturbates to his big-ass Lightning poster.

I'm surprised nobody pointed out that he blatantly rip-offs some of the Xenoblade's world mechanics while saying it's "a completely unique and original idea that isn't even found on the internet", and Xenoblade isn't original in that regard to begin with. Nani gigantum humeris insidentes, yeah, but Toriyama actually has the nerve to pretend he's totally original and godlike.

:rotflmao:

You massive nonce. Gaming, serious bizness.
by QWERTY
Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE - ALL 700 CHARACTERS!!

Agh - if I'd remembered today, Nov 29th, was Ryo's birthday (as well as the date Shenmue I begins), I would have held off from releasing the database until today to make it special haha :lol:

I do have one present though ;-) For those who might be interested, I've uploaded the scans of the profiles from the Perfect Guidebook that were sent to me by Eek the Cat all those years ago...just in case anyone was curious to see them. The text in these scans is Chinese/Japanese - obviously you now have the database itself for the translations :P

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x963i8zekunixte/Shenmue%20II%20Perfect%20Guidebook%20Scans.rar?m

And a pic of one the pages as a preview:
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/askvera/shen2profiles_page02.png

And thanks for the kind words everyone - felt good to finally get it finished :D

this is fantastic work BUT its a shame it still isn't as detailed as Shenmue 1's Biography's.. I would have given my soul if the people who created this wrote their own in line with what the chracaters did in the game
Yeah, I hear you, it is a pity...writing 700 detailed bios probably would have been a bit of a tall order though, it's still pretty cool they bothered to name/give stats to everybody :)

EDIT: Link corrected, apologies!!
by Miles Prower
Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SII CHAR DATABASE-ALL 700 (AND 1) CHARACTERS! UPDATE 27/3/15

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/askvera/s2cd_sigbanner.png

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Yep. After nearly a decade, it's done, people :D

HISTORY OF THE SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE PROJECT
Ever since casting my eyes upon screenshots of Shenmue published in the (now defunct) UK magazine Computer and Video Games, I have been absolutely enthralled by the series. This game was definitely something different. As the famous tagline proclaimed in the trailers before its release – RPG had changed. Sure, hailing the game as being its own exciting new “genre” with a somewhat silly acronym as its name (FREE- Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) was being a tad overzealous perhaps, but you had to admire Yu Suzuki’s ambition for this game. When I finally got to play it on the Christmas morning of 2000, it did not disappoint. The atmosphere created was just amazing to me – a realistic, living, breathing town with over 300 individual characters – all with their own specific daily routines and, in supplementary materials, all named and given detailed biographies! Throw in the fantastic music and the engaging (if not completely original) story and you really had something special. And this was only part one of the saga...

Bundled with the game was the ‘Shenmue Passport’ disc. Through the Dreamcast’s internet connection, this enabled access to all sorts of information about the game, as well as ranking leaderboards for the various mini-games and the chance to get exclusive capsule toys. One of the best features was the character profile section however; as you met and conversed with the characters during a playthrough, their profiles would gradually be added to the Passport. Now to some, giving all 300+ characters names, stats, and biographies may seem extraneous, (especially given characters that Ryo can’t even speak to have detailed information about them!) but it really shows the love and care put into the game by the developers and the amount of depth to Shenmue that few games have matched.

PASSPORT EXPIRED
The Passport service was eventually taken offline in April 2002, but thankfully the character profiles had also been published in Prima’s strategy guide book for the game, so the information was still readily available to fans.
Which brings us to the sequel game, Shenmue II – which I got the following Christmas in 2001. This sadly could end up being the last game in the series, despite it ending on a cliffhanger and at a game-changing point in the saga’s story. Nonetheless, the sequel’s world was even bigger than the first’s– Ryo travels to Hong Kong to continue his quest, with most of its areas completely dwarfing Shenmue I’s in terms of size, as well as the amount of characters – around 700. There was also a lot more mini-games and sidequests to discover, and fans generally agree it is more action-packed and that the plot moves a lot quicker than the first game (though some will argue Shenmue I’s atmosphere has more charm) And what of these 700-odd characters? Were they all named and profiled as per the original game? As it turns out, yes – but these were not readily available to the fans outside of Japan.

Firstly, unlike the first Shenmue, there was no Passport. There was no Prima guide either, as the Dreamcast version had been cancelled in America. America eventually saw an updated version of Shenmue II on the Microsoft Xbox, and a Prima guide was finally published. However, unlike the Shenmue I book, there were only profiles on the main characters; Ryo, Shenhua, Xiuying, Fangmei, Ren, Joy, Wong, Lan Di, Dou Niu and Yuan. The Xbox version, with the new snapshot feature, did include profiles on some of the other characters; unlocked when you took pictures of them, but it didn't come close to having profiles for all the characters. Would we ever know the names and backgrounds of the reams of anonymous characters?

A FAN EFFORT
Shortly after I had completed Shenmue II, I looked around on the internet for fansites/information about the series, ultimately finding the excellent Shenmue Dojo website. I joined the forums, and this was in fact one of the first message boards I signed up to on the internet. My handle on the forum was (and still is) ‘Miles Prower’, as I am also a long-time fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games (and Sega games in general). I made a lot of good friends through the Dojo community and have many fond memories associated with the forums. I think between us we have probably discussed every single aspect of the games to death, but as many fans will attest, you find or notice something new with every playthrough of these wonderful games. Not to mention the very active hacking/modding scene that developed, mostly headed by longtime member LanDC, in which reams of unused content was discovered and many interesting and or humourous modifications made to the game. I still get a warm nostalgic feeling every time I watch LanDC’s Road to Amihama videos in particular.

And indeed, the question of whether detailed character profiles existed for Shenmue II’s cast was raised in discussion. In a thread from 2003, a member named Eek the Cat shared some scans of a guidebook he owned published in Japan called the Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook. The scans showed that there were indeed names and profiles for each and every character.
Eek was even kind enough to put all of the scans together on a CD for me and mail it to me, and even threw in a couple of audio CD’s he had compiled containing music from Shenmue II (sadly the second game never had any official soundtracks released).

The problem? Being that this book was from Japan, the character names were in Chinese and the information in Japanese. Through discussion in the topic, another forum member called khien agreed to help with translating the character names as she could read Chinese. And so began the effort to translate the many character profiles. I began by gradually posting them within the topic, and then eventually creating a website (which, thanks to Web Archive, you can still view here , albeit with most of the images missing).

Continuing into 2004 and beyond, progress was quite slow, mainly due to me starting university. Khien’s life ended up becoming quite busy as well, but thanks to the efforts of another forum member, Oda Ryo, the translation work still continued. The forum member Kiyuu (possibly Japan’s biggest Shenmue fan, and often referred to as the ‘Shenmue Queen’), also informed me that another book existed, the Shenmue II Complete Guide, which contained profiles for characters not included in the Perfect Guidebook; namely those for the many pedestrians who wander the streets of Hong Kong. I made the effort to acquire this book myself and make scans for the remaining profiles.

RESSURECTING THE PROJECT
As the years went on, however, my free time became less and less. I studied for three years at university and after graduating in 2008, I was working full time; in short I was growing up. It was also looking increasingly unlikely that a Shenmue III would ever emerge. Life went on. However, my enthusiasm to complete the project was somewhat fired up again when Peter from the forums (who most likely owns the biggest Shenmue collection in Ireland) got in touch with me on Facebook asking if I was still working on it, as the Dojo staff had managed to get an interview with one of the voice actors for the English dub of Shenmue II (a very interesting read by the way, which can be found here , and they had requested that video clips be assembled of the characters he voiced, which he supplied a list of – but only by name and brief descriptions. Using the information from my project I helped with finding some of them. I then found myself wanting to get the project finished once and for all, and got back in touch with Oda Ryo who happily assisted me with getting the remaining names translated.

I had also spoken to the member ‘thegreatchai’, who had also been attempting to catalogue the character information on her wiki site, and over time we assisted each other greatly. I began transferring the information to an Excel spreadsheet with the intention of creating a complete database of all the Shenmue II characters – which after assembling a numbered list I discovered there are exactly 700 – surely a deliberate intention of the creators? At any rate, after a few months work the project was finally finished. I am glad that this information is now easily accessible to Shenmue fans, and while some may consider me obsessive or downright insane for pursuing with the project, it was worth it for a game series that I love so much and one day hope will be continued in some form. We can but hope. The saga may still go on....

DOWNLOAD - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkgg2/Shenmue%20II%20Character%20Database.rar

Please feedback and let me know if you spot any mistakes or errors, or any factoids about the characters that I may have missed. Most of all, enjoy :D
by Miles Prower
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE II CHARACTER DATABASE - ALL 700 CHARACTERS!!

What, already? That was quick.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Korea clears military attack against the US.

Wonder if there'll be a Team America 2 outta this?
by St. Elmo's Fire
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Korea clears military attack against the US.

All out war would have it's pros and cons. Cons would obviously be death and destruction while pros would be nuclear disbarment and to help their people who are the real victims in all of this. The famine situation there is apparently really bad.

There is another problem though that comes to mind and that is gaining the trust of the public after the war. They've been heavily brainwashed. Some of the videos on Youtube show people crying about their Dear Leader's death and you don't know if it's down to brainwashing or someone behind the camera has a gun to their head. Opening them up to life in the real world could be a challenge.

Here's an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7UG1-gZTd0

Where was this so-called "cute" one?
by Rakim
Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Maggie Thatcher dies

My mum and dad had their own business from the 60's to the late 90's. Thatcher was and still is a hero to them; they're as working class as anyone and from families full of active unionists, but according to them she helped them as business owners no end. My parents aren't stupid and they're as grounded as they come, so I'm not gonna take all your skewed, pit-based perspectives as anything near gospel.

I wasn't old enough to know what was going down at the time, but as someone who wants to make as much money as possible in my lifetime, I owe her quite a lot for having the opportunity. What I do know about her is that she stuck up for Britain and didnt take any shit, so I'm gonna favour her over any other pussy Prime Minister (ie; America's lapdog Tony Blair) in my lifetime for that alone.

So yeah, go Thatcher, I am one of your children and very proud.
by QWERTY
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mongoloids who comment on that puerile reactionary trash?

Like the vast majority of comments in this topic you mean?

I bet you weren't even alive when she was in power. =D> :lol:

Breaking the unions, and the lazy "nationalised" companies having the rug pulled out from under them was definitely a good thing. As was her ability to not lay down for the USA at every opportunity, which has pretty much been the case ever since.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why are they poor though? No ambition! No drive! Stop moaning about how little money you have and go and make some. Don't rely on other people to fund your Jeremy Kyle watching sorry existences. These are the same people that moan about immigrants "terkin er jerbs" but when it boils down to it they just don't work as hard as immigrants do. It's their own fault for being lazy.
by QWERTY
Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I started to construct a counter-argument for that shitty post bit-by-bit, but I was overwhelmed by the futility of arguing against what is clearly an enormous verbal fart. Honestly, it's the most fetid thing I've read today, in many ways, and I just can't be bothered, since where do you even start?

This is why it's ALWAYS bad to talk about politics. I generally make a rule to stay out of it, since it's one of those topics where every single person has their own opinion, which they're convinced is right, and very rarely does any side of the argument give even the slightest inkling of any change in their opinion. Same as topics on abortion.

You in particular, Feelers Rebo, have been the most massive and intolerant (and intolerable) dickhead in this topic, however. Your kind are a growing part of "things wrong with this country" also, shouting and making a fuss to be sure that your opinion is most noticed, all sugar-coated in a "Holier than thou" ivory tower (false) sense of superiority.
Get a fucking grip of yourself, before it's too late.
by St. Elmo's Fire
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why do Korean women want to look like Space Aliens?

Pretty sure Mue is asexual anyways.
by Sailors?
Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

Clearly an inside job. Let's see where the American government steer this false flag this time.
by QWERTY
Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automotive Discussion

Here's one of me getting pulled over for being awesome.

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/8886/imagehjw.jpg

Some sticker bombing I did recently.

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/5081/imagewji.jpg

And some more recent

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/2601/imagetspb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/9774/imagezjd.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/9268/imageplw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/2107/imagerwf.jpg

Pretty happy with it as it stands now. Wont be putting anymore money into it as ill have to sell it by the end of the year before going back to japan.
Love the car though. Never get tired of hearing the supercharger whine and distinctive pop and burble of the exhaust.
by Axm
Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Automotive Discussion

'97 Mitsubishi VR-4 (GTO MR)

http://i.imgur.com/grHia9M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KRymI00.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qk8cg9J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mqdklkr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wwkr8iZ.jpg

Haven't showed it on here in ages, way different than the last time. Even these images are a tad dated now, though I love them. Visually speaking nothing too drastic since these, just had the front fenders rolled and lowered it even more all around, rears are now maxed.

For anyone that doesn't know it's a 3.0L Twin Turbo and is making 500HP on JDM 13G's @ 17psi. The car is AWD and AWS, VR-4 stands for vicious real time four wheel drive. Bought the car BONE STOCK, have done everything to it myself outside of the professional dyno tune.
by Yama
Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic