Search found 155 matches

Return

Re: Why does Shenmue have such a devoted fanbase?

Because we know truely that this is one of the greatest games ever made. Not graphically, not from a sound point of view, not from anything specific....

It is a truely special game that, since its release, not one game has been able to recapture the collective qualities which make it great. When you truely love something in life, you love it for all its aspects. Its good points. Its bad points, And Shenmue has a lot of both. But one couldnt exist without the other, and thats what all comes together. It makes it a masterpiece, which slowly but surely, people have came to understand.

It was made in an era where games were games . Pre open world GTA. Pre kill anything that moves Modern Warfare. It was a 101 lesson in how to generate an emotional connection with a piece of coding, some art and sound, a little console and a controller.

It was the right game, for the right people at the right time, and after 14 years, people are finally waking up. Older gamers who get drunk on its nostaliga, and new gamers who have seen through the facade of a killstreak or AAA game which has just been rehashing the same krud for 5-7 years. Its a gamers game, and people are realising that.
by Peter
Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where are you from?

Shenmue Dojo.
by Henry Spencer
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing needs some work

The marketing for this KS is atrocious. The video tells nobody who doesn't know what Shenmue is anything about it or why it's special. It's just "here's Shenmue III, do you like it???" When it should be recapping the story of a boy driven by anger and revenge as he goes to extremes to find his fathers killer on an epic coming of age Kung fu story. But no, Yu talks about move scrolls instead. They could even go the "You know QTE's? Well Shenmue modernized it and every game you've played since that has had them since is jacking our shit without the quality. Suck on it" or how about "Shenmue was a game of ahead of its time that had unparalled attention to detail and tight, focused storytelling." It makes no sense.

It has been coasting on the goodwill of Shenmue fans and the interest of non-fans. It needs more than that and to articulate why such a game would make Huber act like an excited child and end up grasping his co-workers hands in tears. It needs to show WHY it's so special to us so it can be passed on to a new generation.

Even the Kickstarters aesthetic looks amateur.

You got all these interviews and stuff, and how many of them are in English? Please stop with the French stuff. The game will only be at Monaco? But not TGS or GDC or PAX? What is this foolishness? France isn't that special and doesn't have a monopoly on Shenmue fans. Try marketing this in China, for isntance.

The marketing for this KS is AWFUL and we as Shenmue fans can do better than them. Yu needs our help!
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why does Shenmue have such a devoted fanbase?

Shenmue can transport me to a certain place and time....I don't mean 80's japan, I mean my bedroom in my old house.
by Locke_cole
Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PS4 Physical Copy Issue

Man, two people with yellow text now is weird.
by Raithos
Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic