Search found 340 matches

Return

Re: The Shenmue III Font

Cedric seems to make it pretty clear in that tweet that it's Suzuki's choice; there was a pretty crappy font for the Shenmue: The Movie title screen, too, as talented as he is I guess he just doesn't really know what fonts appeal to Western audiences.
I think it depends on how Cedric's tweet is being interpreted, especially based on past experiences (e.g. the font from Shenmue: The Movie). What decision? Stylistic? Legal? Something else? That is not clear; Cedric's words could also be evasive on an explanation or he doesn't really know.

Furthermore, the normal logo was used in the Shenmue 3 trailer at Sony's E3 2015 press conference. Considering the normal logo is present in the assets of their website, it could be indicative there is some reason (other than stylistic) that Ys Net has decided to not use it for the moment.

Even SD user "Jibby" had to replace the normal logo with the papyrus font one, as well as put copyright symbols of SEGA in his fan made explanatory Shenmue III Kickstarter video .

Personally, I believe the reason the normal logo is not used is because it is copyrighted by SEGA. And, thus, Ys Net needs special permission/permit/approval by SEGA to use it every time they want to. That's a hassle to get into and it requires time.

Therefore, to avoid the cumbersome requesting, they made and use a replacement that it will allow them to use it freely anywhere, without they need to ask SEGA every time.
by Giorgio
Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

This has completely run away from Awesome Japan and yet again damaging the campaign. Over a poll. A fucking poll.

Fire Awesome Japan. They are useless .
I can't deny that there is a part of my thoughts/wishes that had like this to happen. However! On a second thought, I imagine if Ys Net decides to fire AJ that will create an even more bad press in the media. It will actually reaffirm the past negative claims [of the quality (shadiness for them) around Shenmue III's crowdfunding situation] of the click-bait journalists. It seems to me that it has come to a point that AJ is a necessary evil to hold with until the release of Shenmue III.
by Giorgio
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I found the following in the comments of the Kickstarter page:

Ghost of Tom 'Skairkroh' Bule about 10 hours ago

Response from YsNet/Awesome Japan regarding the poll:
Hello Tom,
Thank you very much for your message. We understand that there is a lot of disappointment among fans who wanted the Kickstarter exclusives to be made available.
Since the launch of the Paypal campaign we have received numerous requests to remove exclusivity from certain Kickstarter rewards and make them available for the Slacker Backer campaign as well.
We held the poll as a method to gain more accurate insight on backer opinions concerning this matter since we could not be sure that the requests we received represented the opinion of the vast majority of the backers.
The poll was intended to gauge whether the backers felt that an exception could be made considering that the promise of exclusivity was already established. We felt that upholding this promise should be our foremost consideration.
The majority of respondents did not feel strongly enough about exclusivity to vote either yes or no. While the votes in favor of removing exclusivity marginally outnumbered those against, they did not represent a majority opinion in the poll.
The poll numbers do show that there are also many backers who do not wish to give up their exclusive rewards.
We feel that the logical conclusion to these results is to leave exclusivity as it is because there was not enough support to justify making an exception to go back on our original promise.
We are very happy that so many people responded and we hope we can continue to count on the support of the community.
Sincerely,
Oscar & the Shenmue 3 Team

It seems AJ is capable to reply one-on-one but inept of publicly explain their reasonings?
by Giorgio
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see the excellent Spaghetti's thread being frequently retweeted ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167066 ) and making the fans work a lot easier. [...]
And, by the way, I love this post :
But really, imagine being Yu Suzuki right now. You spend years in a broom closet at SEGA, then languish in Japanese indie dev hell of mobile and browser games. You sell all your cars and motorcycles and pretty much accept the glory days are over.

Then you find some French dude who helps you negotiate the rights to your great unfinished work from your former employer, and then you manage to get a major player like Sony to help you promote it in return for console exclusivity. You try getting 8-4 or Ryan Payton to run your upcoming Kickstarter campaign, but they can't do it, so you turn to some promising young upstarts called Awesome Japan.

Then you got to E3 and unveil your Kickstarter to a screaming crowd, get funded in less than a day, break two world records, and basically make a crazy amount of fucking money. Things couldn't be better.

Flash forward six months. The game is going great, you had an amazing research trip in China, and fans seem to be reacting positively to the prototype materials you've shown. You're working with a lot of old friends again who are employees of Neilo or are external contractors working on the game. You've also hired a fan you met in a restaurant who happens to be appropriately qualified, and some Korean kid [[correction: he's not a kid, but a thirty-something years old man who goes on the net by the nickname " NoconKid "]] who remade areas from your old game in the same engine you happen to be using to make the new game.

You've had a few bumps in the press recently by selectively quoting you, and you don't really have time for any hobbies anymore, but you're enjoying yourself because you're doing what you love for the people who appreciate you. Then you get a Twitter notification. And another, and another. It's a bunch of angry English speaking people saying something about PayPal rewards.

It turns out Awesome Japan bungled something as simple as a poll, and people got the wrong end of the stick about what the poll actually meant, and now news sites are reporting on it incorrectly and there's calls of fraud despite there not being any-

- but you're happy, because you're doing what you love, with people you like, for those who want what you're creating.

But you're middle aged so your dick doesn't work and it's hurting to pee, so fuck everything.

Shenmue III cancelled.
by Giorgio
Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

The content of the following video is not inspired by Shenmue. Not at all.

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Beta Video - now subtitled

Fantastic. Thank you very much, Switch! Your translations continue to enhance and enrich the magic of Shenmue in our memories!
by Giorgio
Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming Deals

Omikron: The Nomad Soul (David Bowie) PC/Steam key is free on Square Enix EU store https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_e ... d-Soul.php
by Giorgio
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What do you all expect out of Bailu and Choubu?

I expect to see what Yu Suzuki has in mind and, thus, his ideas about those areas.
by Giorgio
Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

has anyone ever noticed the little concrete pillar with a red cross on the top? its located in dobuita at the exit leading to sakuragaoka (near liu barber). its on the ground near the stone wall, on the right just as you turn the corner.
is it a marker of some kind?
Once upon a time, I made some crazy remarks about that...

http://i.imgur.com/1EB2jAG.jpg http://i.imgur.com/is1C13z.jpg

and some...
http://i.imgur.com/uuEcxj2.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PTdekCz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/JGagBOw.jpg http://i.imgur.com/CqtWY4v.jpg
by Giorgio
Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[...] My most favourite moment is when Ryo found herbs while walking and tell Shenhua about it. He picks them up and gave them to Shenhua; she is very grateful, to the point that she try to give a kiss to Ryo! :heart: So adorable and cute. However, Ryo makes an uncomfortable facial expression, stands back and then says that they better move on. Shenhua follows him and giggles cutely for a moment. Haha. - She is definitely the future love interest of Ryo. After all, at some point Ryo mentions about the girl he is seeing in his dreams, during a discussion (I think) with Fangmei about love (or something similar).
Made a .gif of what I was talking about...

http://i.imgur.com/zLsotvO.gif
by Giorgio
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Weekly AM2 article: Young Ryo's meal recipe

Thank you for this translation, Switch! They have some funny comments! Now, the difficult part would be to find those ingredients of the Japanese culinary. :P
by Giorgio
Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

Giant Bomb stinks. Everyone stinks in fact. I love video games but I can't force myself to visit any gaming sites besides this one to be honest. Yeah, I don't care shit about GB, too.

So. Heartfelt farewell speech by Brandon Jones (co-founder and voice of GT):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxW4p8hAPM&feature=youtu.be
by Giorgio
Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

M. Huber is streaming right now, on his own "Huber Hype" Twitch channel!

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 101 PUR 100 Cédric Biscay Shenmue 3 producer

Thank you for the translation! That "GUEST" sounds like a pretty melon farmer. No doubt why the TV channel is called "NoLife".
by Giorgio
Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things Shenmue does better than most modern games

To make you feel human in a virtual-reality cyberspace. To feel the world and the people as life-like (living, breathing, feeling). The attention to detail and the quality to make it feel real (realism).
by Giorgio
Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: did yu ever mention why he name the game "shenmue" ?

The answer can be found in this video:

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Intimate video by "Supa RetroGeek" about what Shenmue means to them. Great positive video!

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

"Red Bull is an energy drink sold by Austrian company Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987. [...]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Shenmue 3 takes place in 1987. The wings are fluttering. Red Bull vending machines "confirmed".
by Giorgio
Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Well, there was a Mortal kombat secret just discovered recently and those games are 20 plus year old, so i woulnt rule this out, who knows.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Especially this picture; it's like they are using the same game engine of Shenmue 2 but with updated graphics. So good. They've captured the feel of the scenery beautifully.
by Giorgio
Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1. https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status/703614596356153345
2. https://twitter.com/Shenmue_Dojo/status/703615043062112256

HOLY SHITE! I said holy shit! Just watched the clips of the Shenmue 3's teaser. It's full of awe! :D We're so hyped and excited and then to think we still have 2 years of getting goosebumps and teary just with images and videos. The end product will be beyond our wildest dreams (or even expectations).
by Giorgio
Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5kwWj9fpM
My excitement would have made me shed tears from my butterhall (not just from my eyes) from everywhere if I was there on the conference. I would have stood up with a feeling of warmth and raise my hands like this http://i.imgur.com/qS2hMvQ.jpg
by Giorgio
Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Let's retweet this tweet like no else! Gotta show Shenmue 3's true hype power!
=
===> https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/ ... 1023584256

by Giorgio
Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Topic: Future of the Modding Community?

The ultimate goal would be to understand some interesting code snippets of Shenmue 1 & 2's SH-4 assembly. That would truly empower modding.
by Giorgio
Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

apparently the 'walking simulator' is the hottest idea in game development at the moment and is much discussed in those circles. the game that is usually referenced as the pioneer of this genre is deadly premonition, but as we all know Shenmue and especially shenmue 2 disc 4 was probably the first ever game to have 'walking simulator' gameplay which released 10 years before DP.

i'm pretty sure DP was heavily influenced by shenmue but the creator says he never played it.
https://twitter.com/swery65/status/17998077137
He has said he has never played Mizzurna Falls either, which was the first true 3D open world Twin Peaks style video game. Nothing to insinuate, though. There is a possibility he went in a direction of similar ideas without taking inspiration from these games. However, it is weird when a game developer (at least, a renowned one) doesn't acknowledge a ground breaking game.

Yet again, Yu Suzuki has said he doesn't play and/or take inspiration from existing games, but that I believe doesn't mean Yu-san doesn't know of the existence of the current trending games (for example, he is aware of David Cage's games, and in the past he has studied e.g. the flaws of games like Final Fantasy VIII or something).
by Giorgio
Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Found this image in the Shenmue 500K Facebook group. These bronze mirrors belong to the British Museum, London.

http://i.imgur.com/4RzezC6.jpg

And I had this thought (which is not really new, but at least expressed differently):

" Mirrors were often given as gifts to seal friendship with neighbouring people. "
Maybe Zhao Sun Ming gave the mirrors to Iwao to seal their friendship and all that story about Iwao murdering Zhao is a fudge?

Ryo believes his father would never kill.
His father told him to keep friends close.
Perhaps Lan Di has been misled and misinformed about his father's end.
Probably a superior of Lan Di (it could be Tentei) told him lies, in order to nurture him with vengeance feelings so as to become a super strong fighter with the fixed goal of revenge, and that as a front to get the Mirrors from Iwao's hands.
by Giorgio
Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Shenmue to get into Classic fm Hall of Fame

Already done!

Shenmue's soundtrack is majestic and it deserves all the recognition it can get.

Not getting a place into the Hall of Fame of video game soundtracks, is only a sacrilege to its legacy. So let's get voting before it's too late.
by Giorgio
Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would you include in Shenmue 3 so it's more realist

⋅ Tooth brushing.
⋅ Nose picking when you have to wait (with quicksope for throwing what you dug).
⋅ Niao Sun with realistic breast physics.
⋅ Procedurally lips movements and lips sounds ("plaf plaf plaf") when people are talking.
⋅ If it rains and some thug spits on the ground by acting tough, the saliva to naturally dissolve in the water.
⋅ Animals in the mainland China to have a sophisticated A.I. about mating and be able to read reports on their dynamic population.
⋅ While fishing sometimes to pick up galoshes when you think you caught a big fish.
⋅ When you have a fight in a restaurant, as a penalty the owner to impose you to wash the dishes as compensation.
⋅ To be able to catch a flu and stay at the hospital for an arbitrary number of days (actually staying, with days not skipped but passing minute by minute).
⋅ When you play as Ren, to be able to steal things (stealth mode thief).
⋅ When you ride a horse, the need to feed it and give it water at time periods.
by Giorgio
Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I & II losing a poll on SegaScream.com

For the record, there were polls in the past that tried to "prove" something, like this...

http://s19.postimg.org/urc6xrq2r/lolol.png

Keep supporting Shenmue's popularization, but at the same time do not take any (not really significant, not in a big site) poll in heart. For example, if that happened with the results of Sony PlayStation's #BuildingTheList campaign, it could be worrisome. But, in the current case, it's nothing to feel really frustrated about.
by Giorgio
Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Beta/Unused Scene of Nozomi & Ryo

I've found (like, a year ago...) an unused scene in Shenmue I, that I've never seen before!

Unfortunately, it seems to belong to a really old beta map, and the textures of the buildings get in the way, so I've to remove them in order to see the characters clearly.

I've to set the levels of expectations, though: it's short and a lot of the voices/lip syncing and lines are missing. But still interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTYXq5PfcVA

There are three recordings of the scene: 1) with some textures removed to not get in the way (because the camera's movements are not consistent with the current map), 2) with nothing removed/ripped, 3) with using the beta/old map of Sakuragaoka.

Back then I was trying to change the map with another (like, with Dobuita's) but after some tries didn't make it and then 'forgot' about it. Give it a try, too, if you want and see if something changes or look better. Probably, that scene takes place in another area, or in one that is not even in the data.
by Giorgio
Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beta/Unused Scene of Nozomi & Ryo

Sonoshee wrote: Thank you Giorgio! This was great to see! I wonder what else there is still undiscovered? =D>

Thanks! I wonder myself, too; Shenmue is like a bottomless pit of discoveries! A fountain of details.
by Giorgio
Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peeping into a bathroom will reveal the true Full Reactive EYES Entertainment power of the Shenmue series. Curious who Ryo's going to peep into; Shenhua most probably. Also those voice recordings didn't go into waste after all; their use was planned from the beginning.

The previous paragraph was rated P ...for Peeping (you Pervert).
by Giorgio
Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #54: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Xsens – the leading innovator in 3D motion tracking technology.

Xsens is the leading innovator in 3D motion tracking technology and products. Its sensor fusion technologies enable a seamless interaction between the physical and the digital world in consumer devices and professional applications such as 3D character animation, motion analysis, and industrial control & stabilization.
Site: http://www.xsens.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtjqti3AQ6s

---

If the previous mo-cap technology suits S3's dev team, then I think it would be useful for the end product to use the following technology ( Faceware ) for facial expressions capture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmrXK4fNOEo The girl also wears (what it looks like) the Xsnes mo-cap uniform.

---

It's interesting to see that they have the collage up there (top-left) in the S3 dev studio. It's like Yu Suzuki said: "You see this pic? You're making S3 for this people. Keep this in mind everyday." And the pic is there for a constant reminder.
http://s19.postimg.org/3mo6e3003/frendship_collage_shenmu3.png
by Giorgio
Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #55: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

At first, I had my doubts about this update, but then I saw it was signed by "Awesome Japan" and got convinced.
by Giorgio
Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

I went to Lapis and she told me we won't see Shenmue 1 & 2 HD at E3 '16, but there's a possibility will see it at PSX '16 or E3 '17 or PSX '17 (some mystic clouds where blocking her view and couldn't see well which one it is).
by Giorgio
Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

If Yu Suzuki enter Sony's E3 stage driving a forklift that is lifting a cargo full of Shenmue 1 & 2 HD's jewel Blu-ray cases, then it'll be the perfect marketing for the whole series. Mr Adam Boyes, if you're reading this, just wink thrice on stage and it'll be enough to know I got the credit for this idea.
by Giorgio
Tue May 10, 2016 8:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

The good things is that finally they don't show a sign of doubt about Shenmue 1 & 2 HD's selling potential.

The interesting thing is about licensing in the first two games. If it's for products like TIMEX, Coca-Cola (JP vers. only), Sapporo, Hitachi etc, then it's a simple matter of re-texturing (even a fan modder can do this). Therefore, I infer it is something more complicated. There is high possibility it is related to the rumours about the game engine being licensed.

Assuming SEGA's efforts is in full force, it's a matter of time and two factors are responsible for the delay: i) resolving the licensing issues, ii) porting the game (as well as QA).

Related links:
⋅  BlitWorks tells fans to continue asking SEGA for Shenmue and Jet Set Radio Future HD ports (July 14, 2015)
⋅  "It was mentioned in our office many times." - @BlitWorks (11 Mar 2016)
by Giorgio
Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter wrote: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-i ... 0-6439731/

Gamespot running with the news.
Gamespot wrote:"The Japanese version of Shenmue featured Coco-Cola vending machines"

Coco-Cola confirmed for the new brand of coco vending machines. "Ah... good"
by Giorgio
Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

333 days ago, Shenmue 3 was announced on Sony PlayStation's stage at E3 2015 (the E3 of dreams).
by Giorgio
Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Let's make a list of brands in Shenmue 1 & 2:
⋅  Case Logic (I don't remember / am not sure right know where this is used, but it's in my notes. Maybe the brand of Ryo's bag?)
⋅  Coca-Cola (vending machines)
⋅  Hitachi (cassette player in Ren's Hideout, only in Shenmue II)
⋅  Mitsui Sumitomo Bank (bank passbook [related video ], only in Shenmue I)
⋅  Sapporo (vending machines, only in Shenmue II)
⋅  Timex (watches, both in Ryo's hand and in his room, at least)
⋅  Zippo (lighters, only in Shenmue II)

What else?

I've heard that (especially in Japan) you need permission to advertise/feature a brand in your works. From SEGA's words, that Shenmue is totally immersive and need to retain that real world lifelike feeling (by featuring these real world brands), it's an issue to get the permission to do so.

However (if that's the case), how much of an issue it is? Which are the complexities? How much time it is needed? Personally, I don't believe it's a Gordian knot!
by Giorgio
Fri May 13, 2016 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic