Search found 4 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

I didn't hesitate to donate $10,000 for the dinner with Yu Suzuki. This is FUCKING unreal!
by LanDC
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm-HzCVzL4

For those who missed the Twitch stream, I made a very rough transcript while listening to the interview.
Here we go:

"We have lots of very important things to get to so let's start right away!"

*They all pause to drink some Fanta*

Q: "One more time, explain Sony's role in Shenmue 3."

A: "Sony's providing us comprehensive support in terms of publishing and marketing, as well as funding of the project partially."

*Stream goes down due to technical issues*

Q: Once again they ask about Sony's role

A:"Sony is providing us comprehensive support in marketing, promotion, and funding. They are one of the most important partners of this project. But as we said before in our statement ... they are not receiving one cent from the Kickstarter... the funds collected in the KIckstarter project will be all used for development except for the fees used for the Kickstarter and for providing the Kickstarter rewards. Not a single cent will go to Sony from the Kickstarter funds."

Q: PS4 physical reward ?

A: "It's one of the most requested rewards and I personally want to prepare for it as a reward. We are now considering how we can provide the reward in such a way that satisfies the backers. Please be patient."

Q: Before you were talking about how the funds will be spent. Can you explain more?

A: "We have a pie chart for how the funds from Kickstarter will be spent. KS
Fees: 8 - 10 % Game development: 65 to 72% Backer rewards: 20 - 25% Most of the kickstarter funds are going to the game development. Everything excluding necessary fees and the reward fulfilment.. everything's gonna be used for development."

Q: "Will the real Ryo please stand up?"

A: "We're still improving the qualities of Ryo's face. Not satisfied with the face Ryo has right now. Today we have the latest version, a new pic or Ryo's face. (They show a pic) This new pic we're not satisfied with. Ryo still looks kind of 'frowny.' So I want to continue the improvement. I want to enhance Ryo's attactiveness and personality through not only the models but through the facial expressions and actions he does to make Ryo even better. So we are going to see an improved Ryo in the future. He'll be much better through the process of development."

Q: "Another big issue. Voice actors coming back to reprise their roles. Specifically Ryo. Will we be seeing them again?"

A: "So, I think that the original voice actors will be the best match for Ryo's voice. So I want them to come back as his real voice in shenmue 3 as well. I'm now in negotiation with them. Please wait. We'll have more details about that."

Q: "Will PayPal be an option to help fund Shenmue 3?"

A: "No definite answer, but we're looking into it."

Q: "Is Shenmue 3 going to be DRM free on PC?"

A: "We are now looking into it, but it's not something I alone can decide on. I'm talking to other parties to decide if that's possible... we're looking into it."

Q: "Shenmue 1/Shenmue II HD remaster: are we gonna see it?"

A: "I personally want to see them so that the fans can enjoy Shenmue 3 more. However the property rights belong to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to comment on it. But I want it, so I will talk to SEGA if that's possible."

Q: "More rewards?"

A: "Today we will have additional rewards. First of all we have the grab bags. A lot of surprises in different prize tears, starting from 1,000 dollars to 500 dollars. It contains Shenmue merchandise, and it is random, so you have fun in opening the bag. And also we'll have one more reward, that is the replica of Ryo's watch. There is only one. This will be in the 5,000 reward tier. *They show the watch*

Q: "What are the other rewards going to be like?"

A: "The grab bags will include for example special figures of Ryo. There are also Shenmue watches. (Not the one just shown.) They also include autographed art work. Check out the page later. The rewards will be up. Check it out! For today we have grab bags and watches but in the future we'll have more additional rewards so please stay tuned to the kickstarter page!"

Q: "Stretch goals... stretch goals... stretch goals. Can we get a little bit of explanation please, about the stretch goals."

A: "The budget we have right now, it's Shenmue with story elements. It will be Shenmue 3 up until the duel against the four big bosses. But with additional stretch goals, more areas are going to be added and expanded.

The Rapport system is the system that governs the changes in characters' attitudes toward you, depending upon actions you take in conversations. It will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

In Shenmue 3 there'll be a lot of occasions when you can obtain technique scrolls through special events, jobs, missions, etc. They can be used in battle right away as a QTE. However the advanced skill scrolls and arcane skill scrolls are managed in a tree diagram. Completing that tree will be another side of fun, and it links to the actual martial art learning.

Q: "More on stretch goals"

A: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

There's an opportunity for the players to play as different characters. In that event you'll see different choices that different personalities offer, different from Ryo and other characters. That will provide more fun and more personality to the characters.

So there's a lot more stretch goals we published, but there will be a large amount of explanations and a large amount of fun still to come, so we'll leave it to other occasions to explain the other stretch goals.

Your cooperation is what makes this Kickstarter progress, so please support us!

Q: "How will Shenmue 3 at its current funding level be different from Shenmue 3 at the 10 million dollar level?"

A: "The current funding level - about 3.6 million - will have story oriented Shenmue. More focus on story. Exceeding 5 million will allow the development to include more things that are new, such as we explained about Baisha. Exceeding 10 million will allow for the players to enjoy a more open world like Shenmue."

Q: "When is Shenmue 3 going to be released?"

A: "It's expected to be released by the end of 2017. We're confident."

Q: "Is this the end of the story?"

A: "The initial storyline contained 11 chapters. With 1 & 2 it advanced to only a little bit of the 11 chapters. I considered doing the final game to include all the remaining chapters, but in the final consideration it would be skipping all the big arcs, and the completeness of the game would be less enjoyable. So this Shenmue 3 will have more storylines, but this structure will not finish the storyline with Shenmue 3."

Q: "When can we play the trial version?"

A: "It requires many of the basic systems to be developed. The release date of the demo version will be the latter half of the development stage. It might be after the new year of 2017. Until then it requires more development for the basics."

(Inaudible)

Please keep sending us your questions. We want to make Shenmue 3 the best we can. Please share the project. Get the word out. Let everybody know that Shenmue 3 is happening, and we need everybody to support and make sure that we make this Shenmue 3 spectacular."

Q: "Final thoughts?"

A: "I always want to do new things. I hope to achieve all the things I want to do in the new Shenmue, matching with what the Shenmue the fans want, to meet the ten million dollar goal. We ask your continued support, and that you spread the word around to make Shenmue a real thing! Thank-you very much!"

"Let's make this happen! Everybody has been so great the past fourteen years. Making it happen. It's happening now. #SaveShenmue! Let's do this! Thank-you!"
by benayun88
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Translation of the Interview on Twitch

Ok, I'm done! Here's a translation of Yu Suzuki's actual answers for comparison. Overall I think the translator on the Twitch session covered the information pretty well, except for maybe some minor detail.

Q: What is Sony’s involvement with Shenmue III?
YS: Sony is providing us with support in various ways including marketing, funding and promotion, and they’re our most important partner; they’re also our largest and most valued backer.

We plan to invest all the money collected from everyone through Kickstarter on development, excepting the Kickstarter fees and costs for the rewards. No portion of the collected money will flow to Shibuya Productions or Sony.

Q: PS4 physical reward?
YS: This is one of the most requested rewards, and it’s the reward I most want to make happen. Um... Please be patient!

Q: How will Kickstarter funds be spent?
YS: Please take a look at this pie chart which I’ve prepared.
[Fees: 8 - 10%, Game development: 65 to 72%, Backer rewards: 20 - 25%]

http://i.imgur.com/JtmE4vg.png

Q: Ryo’s appearance...
YS: We’ve had a lot of comments about how Ryo’s face looks, but we’ve just got started and so it is still under development. Personally, I’m not satisfied at all either, and so even now we’re continuing to improve it. Today I’ve brought a slightly improved version to show you – it’s not the final version, and we’ll be improving it even further, but I wanted to show you it.

For comparison, we’ve included two shots of Ryo from Shenmue II.

http://i.imgur.com/moKhHjb.jpg

The one at the front is the slightly improved version for Shenmue III. Again, I’m not completely happy with this Ryo – the shape of his mouth is not quite right – and I’d like to make further refinements.

As well as the shape of his face, his facial expressions and his actions also add to his personality and his attractiveness. So going forward I’d like to work on facial expressions and movements in making an attractive Ryo.

Q: Will the original voice actors reprise their roles?
YS: I auditioned Masaya Matsukaze and Corey Marshall for Shenmue I & II, and I believe their voices are perfect for Ryo’s voice. So I’d definitely like to have them reprise the role again this time. We’re currently in negotiations and I’m sure they will both be happy to do so, so please look forward to that.

Q: Can PayPal payment be added?
YS: I’m considering funding methods other than Kickstarter, including PayPal.

Q: Will a DRM-free version be made available?
YS: It’s something that is under consideration at the moment. However it’s not something Ys Net can decide by ourselves, and so discussions are taking place with various parties.

Q: Will HD versions of Shenmue I & II be released?
YS: I think that if Shenmue I and II could be released before Shenmue III, people would be able to understand the backstory and enjoy Shenmue III even more. And so I also personally strongly want this to happen, but as the rights are held by Sega I’m not really in a position to be able to comment. However I will also express to Sega that that I really would like for them to be produced.

Q: Details of new rewards?
YS: There has been feedback that there are not enough rewards, and so we have added additional rewards. We have prepared $1000, $2000 and $5000 grab bags. The bags will continue various items of Shenmue merchandise, and I think these will be quite exciting. And also at the $5000 level will the one-only prototype of the watch worn by Ryo in the Shenmue games. I have it here to show you... This is the Timex watch worn by Ryo, and it has the YS and Shenmue logos on it. It’s a very rare item.

Q: Details of the grab bags?
YS: It includes various things such as special figures of Ryo, watches... these watches are not quite as valuable as the one-of-a-kind one mentioned before; they’re more casual and they also have the Shenmue logo. Anyway, there are a variety of different items included.

Also, we have prepared some of the original art drawn by our main character designer, Miyawaki. These are quite valuable, and are a great reward I think.

In addition to the rewards we have added today, we will be continuing to add further ones in the future, so please look forward to them too.

Q: Tell us about the stretch goals up to $3.6m?
YS: Firstly, I’ll talk about the stretch goals up until around the $3.6m mark, which are the most basic goals. The stretch goals up to $3.6m will achieve a story-oriented Shenmue. As further goals are reached, the content for various areas will be correspondingly expanded, but even with the story-oriented version, the plot will develop to reach a confrontation with the 4 leaders {of the Chiyoumen}.

Also, game features like the Rapport system and the Skill Tree system will be included.

Q: Rapport system
YS: With the Rapport system, various data on your interactions with Shenhua will be tracked, such as her level of trust and rapport with you and so on, according to your actions toward her and the way your conversations progress. Later, this will affect how cooperative Shenhua is toward you, for example. I think we’ll be able to express a new and exciting angle to Shenmue that wasn’t present in the previous games.

Q: Skill Tree system
YS: In Shenmue 3, you will be able to obtain move scrolls {“technique scrolls”} in various places – for example, in shops, mini-games, part-time jobs, gambling, quest events. You’ll be able to make immediate use of move scrolls in battle QTEs – for example, once you get a new scroll, you’ll be able to use it straight away as a QTE appearing during a fight. Being able to use it as soon as you have collected it will make it easy and satisfying to use. I think it will be fun to have it appear and be used when fighting. Advanced moves and Arcane scrolls will be managed in a tree structure; these will not become immediately available after obtaining them. Instead, a likeness can be drawn with learning of actual martial arts, where you build up to reach an advanced move through the accumulation of several moves; in a similar way, you will need to build up moves in the tree in order to reach the advanced moves, and I think filling the moves in the tree will be fun.

But you won’t have to build up to the advanced moves by actually participating in fighting (which can become tiresome); instead you just need to accumulate the necessary move scrolls to fill the tree.

Q: Stretch Goals up to $5m
YS: If the $5m mark is reached, we will focus on the area of Baisha There will be new types of play here which were not present in Shenmue I & II. Typical classical war strategies from the historical Three Kingdoms period of China, such as seiges and infiltration, will be incorporated.

Features such as “infiltration” may sound as if they will make the game too complicated, but they will be implemented in a way that is in keeping with the feel of the Shenmue games and will be easy to enjoy and engage with for anyone.

As another feature, I am planning a Character Perspective system. To put it simply, it is being able to change the character you play, but in Shenmue it will be done a little differently from other games that have this: in Baisha there will be an event where you will be able to change character in order to accomplish the mission. The player will be able to control not just the character of Ryo, but also other characters such as Shenhua and Ren; Ren has his own distinct personality, and Shenhua as a female has her own viewpoints and decisions; the choices will be different depending on the character you play. So it won’t simply be changing of character, but rather each character’s personality will be expressed and I think this will make for an enjoyable experience.

Q: Stretch Goals to $11m
YS: Currently further stretch goals have been announced through to $11m (such as the expanded battle system and so on), I’d like to leave it until next week to talk about these.

Q: Shenmue III at the Current Funding Level (around $3.6m at time of Twitch) vs $10 million
YS: At the current level of funding, as I mentioned earlier the game will be focused on the story. However once we reach $5 million we will be able to introduce aspects such as the Three Kingdoms “war strategies” mentioned earlier which will set it apart from the first two Shenmue games. This is actually the part I would most like to accomplish. If we can go above $10 million, the town of Choubu will be significantly enhanced. The town of Choubu has scenery that is somewhat like, for example, the Dobuita and Yokosuka areas of Shenmue I, and this will open up various options for amusement there. So, above $10 million, we will be able to include both game features that I would like to take on the challenge of including, as well as making the game “open-world like” with an even wider range of choices available.

Q: When is Shenmue III going to be reLEEEAASED?
YS: By the end of 2017.

Q: Will Shenmue III end the story?
YS: In terms of the 11 chapters that form the basis of the Shenmue story, we have only traversed a little way through these in Shenmue I and II. I did consider completing all the remaining chapters within the third game, but it would mean skipping a lot of the good parts and would not result in a satisfactory game. There were a lot of people who want to know the ending of the story, but in order to make the game as high quality as possible, the end of the story will not be reached in Shenmue III.

Q: Release Date of Demo Version
YS: Providing this at an early stage will be difficult because we need to develop various systems and the game to a certain extent first. It is likely not to be until the latter half of the development period.

I think it won’t be until 2017.

Q: Final Comment
YS: I always love doing new things and taking on new challenges, and so I would like to aim for the goal of $10 million in order to produce a Shenmue that is both the one I want to create, and one which everyone wants. I really hope to somehow bring it to reality, and so I would like to ask for everyone’s continued efforts and cooperation. Thank you.
by Switch
Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Twitter Q&A

were there originally 16 chapters in the shenmue saga or were there 11? please elaborate as to why some say 16 and some say 11.

Yu: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11

Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?

Yu: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2?

Yu: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end?

Yu: Gonna have to find a successor I think.

will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles?

Yu: It will be a lot of fun, but depends on budget, so still under consideration

Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?

Yu: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget

Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3?

Yu: Great idea! I will look into it.

For Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?

Yu: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in Shenmue 3, could we make it stretch goal?

Yu: Thank you, it is under consideration.

Why do you think Shenmue didn't appeal to the mass audience back then? Would it need to be 'modernized' for today?

Yu: One reason may be there were so many new challenges. New challenges this time too. It's the most important thing.

Can we expect the return of lottery prize in Shenmue 3? May be the first prize can be a figure of Yu Suzuki!

Yu: Great idea. Thanks. I will need to think about something more appealing than a figure of me.

will u research latest tech in AI so u can include it in shenmue 3 to make it a pioneering game like its predecessors?

Yu: Yes. I would like to take on some new challenge in terms of technology.

is there a possibility to film a production process for example motion capture or dubbing, during development of Shenmue 3?

Yu: Yes, we have it and I would like to feature it in an update

Will CocaCola join the Party?

Yu: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

Do you have any idea if Sega's planning on doing a Virtua Fighter 6?

Yu: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

What can you tell me of the three blades?

Yu: Jobs using scissors, razor and knife- barber, cook, and sewer. Skills for jobs with steady demand in any era.

although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

Yu: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

My ten year old daughter wants to know if she'll be able to use the phone at will in Shenmue 3 like she does in Shenmue 1

Yu: Look forward to it. There will be many nostalgic scenes. Maybe a tin can telephone as well?

If future installments of Shenmue become a possibility will we have the option to bring over save data from 3?

Yu: I have not decided it yet.

Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?

Yu: There is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2

Will we start Shenmue 3 with some items/skills/scrolls from Shenmue 1+2?

Yu: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?

Yu: There is a possibility.

Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

Yu: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?

Yu: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place.

Will there be official kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process?

Yu: I of course would like that and am looking into it.

Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?

Yu: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san?

Yu: Maybe something like 86?

I was wondering did you get Ryo Hazuki name from Ryudo Uzaki that was a Japanese musician?

Yu: Nope

My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3?

Yu: I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki it would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want

Yu: There's a feature on the $250 tier and up to change Ryo's jacket. Other customizing under consideration

Why the Dragon Mirror was hidden under a cherry tree, a not so safe place like the basement?

Yu: Iwao thought the place under Cherry blossom tree was safer.

Why Iwao Hazuki loves the carrots so much?

Yu: Yes! Iwao's most favorite food is carrots! *jokingly*

Where did Ryo got his band aid?

Yu: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match

what is your favorite movie?

Yu: My favorite 3 are: The Hustler, Casablanca, Roman Holiday. I love Billiards, and I still play it sometimes.

Will Shenmue 3 be compatible with the project Morpheus VR headset for the ultimate second life experience?

Yu: I feel that VR offers great possibilities.

Will in Shenmue 3 be a dog to pet call look and feed?

Yu: Depends on the budget.

Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?

Yu: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro though.

I always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?

Yu: Let's not go there...

will there be any more dinners offered for the $10,000 tier?

Yu: We just added them today!

How was your day?

Yu: It is Shenmue Day, so on Twitter with everyone. So many participating, I couldn't be happier. Rewards sold out! Thanks all!!!

What did YU name the kitten?

Yu: I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

will we see a shenmue soda (can be just a can) and what would it taste like?

Yu: If there is any interested beverage firm out there, please contact YSNET

Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

Yu: The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower.

Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3?

Yu: Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3?

Yu: It will vary depending on the KS budget.

Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

Yu: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system.

Please confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character

Yu: I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment.

will ryo finally eat and do other bodly functions?

Yu: I don't have plan on implementing it for S3.

Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his tv in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game for it to focus Ryo?

Yu: That sounds about right. Let's go with that.

Mr. Suzuki, what is your favorite music to listen to?

Yu: I like Jazz and Rock.
by Riku Rose
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic