Search found 929 matches

Return

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2012

Both Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos 2 were announced at TGS.

I'd shit bricks if Baten Kaitos 3, seriously under rated game.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ts3p2HQhk[/youtube]
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wii U

I admit, I was skeptical that Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge was just a gorier port of Ninja Gaiden 3. Team Ninja changed my mind when I played the game. Enemies are more aggressive and they won’t plead for their lives anymore. The "steel & bone" quick time kills are gone. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge has dismemberment instead. Yasuda who was watching everyone play had a wry smile when he saw a player die.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/19/yaiba-ninja-gaiden-z-is-from-team-ninja-comcept-and-spark-unlimited/
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Bluecast wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I like the way i said it better

Your post wasn't there when I started replying

i was going to turn it into a Wayne's world joke buy coulden't get the gif up fast enough :oops:
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Dorian wrote: I'm a guy who gets excited only with the official info so I'll wait for that.

I know a few other things that get you excited ;)

Asian gifs
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You're completely right that we shouldn't have a classification stamped on our heads at all times.

There are people who will immediately see the depth of the game and will enjoy it for that reason, however there are also people who will not understand what makes the game good at first glance but they recognize the base reasons something is fun.

Still lets look at OL and Dorian . Both men enjoy action games and have an undeniable passion for the genre.

OL enjoys the more stylistic and aesthetic aspect of the games. He gets into games like Blood Will Tell and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and Enslaved. These games are all great but all very shallow. Its not to say OL dosen't recognize depth, it just seems like its not a priority to him. I think if I handed him Ninja Gaiden Black and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams he's take Onimusha and call it a day. He's the kind of player you need to capture with aesthetics and accessibility, once you've got them you can introduce them to the depth by offering rewards specifically for higher difficulties.

Dorian is completely different. He likes em when they're pretty, but it seems he really likes games to be deep and offer a challenge. This is the kind of guy who picks up Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 3, and Ninja Gaiden:Black and puts the game on hard. This is also the base customer, wanting more Dorian will keep buying a series because he trusts a developer. Combos, freedom, challenge, variety and performance is what this crowd wants. They help a developer grow, they can help them look for new ideas and challenge themselves by trying to break the walls the developer has made. The best way to keep this kind of person is to continue offering depth and allowing them the freedom to continue learning and experimenting with a system.

Both are hardcore, and theres a way to make the majority of both happy, but developers keep trying to go one way or the other.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluecast wrote: I feel so left out in Manny's post

You're the third kind of buyer, the snugglebunny, the kind I like to play leapfrog with.

In all seriousness I put you in with OL. You come for the look but stay for the depth, thats why something like Darksiders 2 is up your alley.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Anyone want a copy of Wizorb on steam? Got an extra code.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUh09N-EzoM[/youtube]
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluecast wrote: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/unity-engine-wii-u/

Nintendo strikes a deal with unity 3 engine. Wii U can support Cry Engine 3 UT4(modified)
What that means I don't know.

It means they've opened up to indie support and more developers.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ys & Falcom

To be honest, I actually wish XSeed never got a hold of the Falcom distribution rights. They had some awesome releases before, but now they're basically doing fuck-all with it.

There haven't been any Ys games since Seven. The 4 remake just came out and I'd imagine we'll get that. I think you're just alittle salty they switched to digital because, I won't lie I am too but they've been doing a better job releasing Falcom stuff then any other company ever. don't believe me? Play some Legend of Heroes on PSP. Bandai even changed the way the game played.

Between that and the ghetto release of The Last Story that got pushed back to later that week, making fools out of many gamers that went to the store to pick up the game to discover it wasnt there with no explanation as to why. They are just so small, TITS 2 NEEDS to come out, all this hub bub about the Legend of Heroes series, and it all seems to mean nothing to anyone outside of japan because the rest of the world is so far behind in the release of those games, and its kind of difficult to understand why XSEED signed on to making such a mammoth decision like porting over a 5 year old game like TITS with multiple sequels with a continuing story line, releasing the first game, then shying away from doing anything else for distant future. As much as we love XSEED, they are pissing us off too by making promises they cant keep.

as far as I know that was a distribution problem the same thing happened with Tits, here in NY every retailer except gamestop had the game. Tits 2 is MASSSIVE its the main hitch in the road, 3 has alot of story but its nowhere near as long as and neither is zero or even ao. Do you think its a coiniky dink that Falcom announces that a downloadable version of Tits 2 is going to made available in Japan? or that Zero (and possibly ao) are getting Vita remakes? I think things are shaping up it just requires patience.

Yeah XSeed have been disappointing this past year. Very little from them coming up that interests me. Ragnarok Odyssey looks decent, I suppose. They seem to bite off more than they can chew, another example of this was Grand Knights History. :/

Grand Knights history wasn't their fault. Remember they aren't developers, if a company breaks the agreement they can't really do much, you should be pointing at Vanillaware.

They've made their share of mistakes but aren't you guys alittle quick to shit on a tiny company that has nearly put itself out of business a few times to get things released over here.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier.

UGHHH I want it to come out DAMNIT!
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^I actually pretty much agree. The new controller will likely be used for throwaway crap in most cases, and the library of games so far is just a bunch of ports, with all but maybe one or two of the exclusives announced not interesting me in the slightest.
That's not to say I'll never get it. It's almost a guarantee that I will at some point. Game libraries grow as a console stays around for a while, and I have no doubt that eventually it'll have a good amount of games I really want to play.
But at the moment, it's just another console with a lame gimmick, which is really just in place to cut down on piracy.
Give it about a year, allow more games to come out and be announced, and I may be more interested.

Don't remember when the biggest games on ps3 were full auto 2 and Ridge Racer 7 (which were just full auto and ridge racer 6 ported over)

Still Jason Schrier had an idea that sounded really interesting about an RPG where the TV is used for exploration and while exploring the touchpad would be used for real time combat.

Seems like the PS3/360 were beta testers, the real, final versions of all the games are coming to Wii U. :lol:

The real question is, will Wii U be region locked like 3DS and Wii are?

most likely region locked, which sucks donkey dick.

Controllers just another gimmick to me and i dare say i would use the 360 like pad more. But at the moment the console has little to no interest for me as its Nintendo games I'm tired of and ports.

Still worried about what MS and Sony will come out with next so I'm in a wait a see mood at the moment.
Its neat that you can play via the controller screen but using it while playing on a tv? Most the time just gonna be annoying IMO.

again "ZOMG LOOKIT DEES GWAFIX" is a gimmick too. There are plenty of games that look great and have no substance. Even so, playing stuff like Zombiu isn't annoying its pretty cool and it works naturally with the game. A lot of people talk about it being ported, but if it does it becomes a zombie FPS, without the gamepad the whole experience changes and it takes more then just a gimmick to do that.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I love XSEED just fine, but regarding TITS, it is their own fault for making an initial announcement that they are going to release TITS 1 and 2 on PSP, and then not doing it. Its there own fault for biting off more than they can chew, hopefully they will learn and not make the same mistake in the future, but even more than all that, hopefully TITS 2 gets released some time soon because I really want the game. You cant deny they have screwed up lately, im not saying they should burn in hell for that, they do excellent localizations of obscure japanese RPGs and other games more power to em, they just need to tighten up around the edges if they ever want to grow, if not they are on an inevitable path to be a distant memory like Working Designs before them. Dont be surprised if they close down at some point, and when that happens, they cant really point the finger much at anyone else but themselves, and that is the hard truth.

They announced it when the PSP market wasn't dead yet (it actually had quite a few titles at the time) and before the vita. At the time they figured they'd have it done you couldn't have predicted the handheld market in the us or how much its changed. They're still releasing PSP games and even Square-Enix won't release stuff like Type-0. Gotta admit they've got balls.

Anyone want to talk about Solatorobo or Half minute hero or retro game master? all games that xseed localized that consumers left em high and dry with. Working designs got screwed for 2 reason, 1 was Sony demanding they put games in series together, 2 was the big special editions. Well Xseed isn't releasing physical games, and they keep picking up games that people hoot and holler that they want but then don't buy.

Again they've made their mistakes but what can we really expect from them?
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did i mention graphics? No just i don't want to be looking between screens when playing games. Its also why i think MS tablet thing is a waste of time. When im watching GoT on tv im not going to be looking at my phone pc to get extra info.

When it come to a controller i want to be able to use and never have to look at it while doing so hence why i said if i got one i would use the other pad.

No, you didn't but I was making a point that when the inevitable new consoles come out and offer these insane HD visuals, it'll be just as much of a gimmick because unless they want to spend half a billion dollars they're just going to be working on models, textures, filters and other visual aspects instead of gameplay. It'll be just as much of a gimmick as saying "We've got this controller"

watching TV isn't playing a game. You're thinking about it in terms of something else but its an experience all its own. For Ninja Gaiden I may as well have had the Pro controller because I never looked down once, but playing Zombiu I didn't put the controller down, I had it in front of me almost the whole time so that I could go into my bag and whip something out if I needed. Its one of those things yo need to try because all the examples you keep giving are way off how it actually works.

Its completely true its not for every game, there are plenty that are just plain better with the Pro but its not just some gimmick "look a map" type thing. It can be used for a lot more.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Big names like Capcom,Square,Konami have lost their way.SEGA can go either way but personally pleased with them last couple years. So Not all. Just the big names hard to see over them. Level 5,Falcom,Nintendo,Mistwalker,Atlus and more still get it just fine.

I think it goes beyond that (I'm also starting to get sick of Atlus a bit). Epic, Microsoft, Bioware, Ubisoft and Activision are as guilty as Square-Enix or any of the Japanese studios.

(Capcom is doubly bad since they keep putting small studios out of business making these really bad versions of their IPs)
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Worse. just everything about it is worse to be honest.

As for ports Ninja Gaiden is basically a new game. I think the damage is done and people see it as being a shit game but its nothing like the original release.

To be honest, the tablet controller wasn't made for games like that. Look at the reason a person wouldn't buy a Wii. The games, the controller, and the graphics. The ports bring over the games, the pro solves the controller and the GPU solves the graphics.

Now, for the people who want to use the controller theres games that use it, the best example being the game that comes with the Deluxe console.

This is the things a lot of people don't seem to be understanding, and its exactly the same thing people didn't understand about the DS when it was first announced (and labeled a boring console because it was mostly ports or games available on console in better quality)

Not every game needs to use the touch pad, people can use either for most games but sometimes it'll be just plain better with a normal controller. Unless there's something really crazy I'll likely play Bayonetta 2 with the pro controller and not think twice about the screen. Now, if offered the same choice for a game like Metroid Prime, I'd take the touchpad.

Not aimed at you, but a general thing, I think people need to think less about how every game will use the pad and more about what's possible with Nintendo and partners working on a new console.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

I posted Breath of Fire a while back and it was taken down. Not sure if it was a double post or just stupidity. That game has probable some of the best music in gaming history. Just a side note.

then post it again if it wasn't offensive or anything, might've just been a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nGCm8CQaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4rP7WpfaYg
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fist of the North Star series

OL wrote: One-Piece is digital-only?
Shit...
What about in the UK?
Import-able, maybe?

I think the uk release is physical, doo that and WOTS4 in one shot to keep shipping low
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I owe OL an apology, the final version of DOA5 is a lot better then I though.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd forgotten all about the voice acting in Jet Set Radio until I played the HD demo just now.
I love how DJ Professor K's voice actor sounds like he's trying really hard to sound enthusiastic, but also totally sounds like he's reading his lines for the first time.
That, ladies and gentlemen... is good old-fashioned videogame charm.

Also it's been a while since I've seen those beautiful deep-blue Sega skies. Just not enough of that in games these days.

Its like the guy from Yo Gabba Gabba. He's so enthusiastic but his eyes just say "kill me, kill me now"
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see you there, playing with your TG16, yeaaaa like that. now tap it on the bottum yeaaaaaa.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RPG's( NOT Falcom,Square,Bethesda,Bioware)

Its not my fault no one wanted to answer my questions about doing the replica monado quests, which i still need an answer to *glares at dorian* then he wanted to go all off topic with it, and what kind of civil member of SD would I be if I just layed down and took that verbal lashing? Not I sir, not I.
What kind of an answer do you expect? Is it worth the time and effort gameplay-wise? Not really. You can storm the game with the default replica because the game is that easy. Did I get them? Yes, I got everything in the game. Monado Saga looks awesome and I liked seeing it in the cutscenes.

Well then lets put it this way, is it worth getting for someone not bitter that actually enjoys playing the game? :P
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

hypehypehypehypehypehpyeonepiecepiratewarriorshypehypehypehypehypehype

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ov2ZIgC88[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JdqiJA1rg[/youtube]

hypehypehypehypehypehpyeonepiecepiratewarriorshypehypehypehypehypehype

Can you tell I'm hyped?
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RPGs can 100% have bad pacing. Look at Tales of Symphonia which has a section where the player spends 20 hours doing nothing else but looking for a survivor in order to find out how he made his escape with the solution being "move that really obvious rock" or when the game makes the player spend 5 hours going from town to town with scripted sequences just so that they can learn to make curry. You can't skip em, you can't even make the quests shorter you have to see every cutscene in the quest line and because of that it will always take that long. Now THAT is bad pacing and it absolutely exists in 40+hour RPGs. Its just that the best ones give people the choice.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know what sony has going for it?

One Piece
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^You fucker. :lol:
I keep trying to decide whether I should import it right now or wait a while. Hyped to play it either way, even despite never having seen the show.

I've been watching the show all day and when i finally broke down and looked at the gameplay I saw it had some aspects similar to Naruto storm and the one piece cruise games so I'm MEGAHYPED. Its a big dumb beat em up with some extra dumbness for good measure.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You're definitely right, but theres something thats becoming a lost art (that a lot of new games don't do and kind of weakens the genre as a whole) is that the narrative has become more important then the interactivity when in reality they should be used together.

The reason the opening scene in Final Fantasy Type-0 is more meaningful is because you control the unnamed soldier. you have a link with him because you've been put in direct control of him before he died. this spills over into a lot of games, in Breath of fire 2 when you and Bo get beat up by the demon of avarice, in final Fantasy 6 when you play as Terra killing the Narshe guards or Phantasy Star 2 where you walk up to the bandit that kills his daughter giving the player control that leads into a cutscene or directly get the story changed because of an action is the two working together. You don't get that from a long drawn out scene, or a group of scenes that don't let you do anything.

Letting the player see how normal and gear battles worked in that first cutscene with the fire wouldn't have changed the laid back pace of trying to sort out the wedding, but it would have satiated anyone who wanted to understand the battle system, so more people would have continued knowing they'd be rewarded with more of that awesome battle system.

Its odd, it really isn't the core of an RPG, but the pacing (ie introducing new abilities, allowing the player to progress, moving between gameplay and cutscene) isn't the first thing you'd think about when looking at what makes an RPG fun but in the years it's been the thing thats changed the most and the reason so many people feel RPGs aren't as engaging can be attributed to it in some way.

the truth is when you spend 80 hours playing something, you don't think about what happened before the cutscene, or when you got an item for the first time, or saw an attack for the first time.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TWITTER

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PAVp1t0go[/youtube]
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So One Piece despite "competitive pricing" is 50$, for a FUCKING DOWNLOAD ONLY FUCKING GAME, WHAT THEW FUCK YOU WANT PEOPLE TO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY PUTTING A BIGAS GAME ON THEIR DRIVES AND SPENDING HOURS FUCKING DOWNLOADING THE MOTHERFUCKING THING AND THEY AREN'T GOING TO GET A FUCKING PRICE CUT. WORST FUCKING THING IS I ONLY HAD 40$ FUCKING DOLLARS 10 FUCKING DOLLARS, FOR 10 FUCKING MEASLY FUCKING DOLLARS YOU GET TO MISS OUT ON A WHOLE SALE, WORSE YET THEY'RE SELLING DLC NEXT FUCKING WEEK WELL FUCK.

I was so hype, I was going to buy the game and recommend it to everyone, now I'm just pissed. why should i spend 50$ on a game that I'm not even really the owner of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN1L3HN0cvg

If you see me on later playing it, thats means someone got fed up and gave me 10$
If you see me on later and I'm not playing anything, it means someone got fed up and killed me.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

spent all day bitching moaning, downloaing and installing one piece pirate warriows and now I'm finally playing it and I've gotta say its pure MOTHERFUCKING CLASS!

This is easily the deepest warriors game ever since theres 2 attack buttons and any combination of the 2 is a new move. The presentation is out of this fucking world with these really interesting menus, amazing music that mixes the heavy guitar with the jazzy tracks from one piece and incredibly details and well made cell shaded models with a grain filter that gives everything a slightly manga look. Topping it all of, its got some AMAZING camera angles and cinematic moments. Omega forced learned everything Ashura's Wrath had to teach. It went from being a cute little distraction to being this immense beat em up in my eyes.

It was worth the hype. Will likely import the Euro version to have it forever.

My only disappointment is that "white shirt Zoro" which is the costume he wears through the whole series isn't in the game.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

shoulda got that

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky HD Edition Soaring On To PS3

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/25/th ... on-to-ps3/
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

me and segata like it, he will naturally hate it, but will still download yaoi of Joshua and fap to it.
I have better yaoi to download. Not to mention real life porn.

Dunno about the game itself. I have no factual idea about it. One of the reasons why I'm hyped.

Legend of Heroes Yaoi is tasty like a pear.

Also:

http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/archive/archive.cgi?mode=view_game&game=1684

Of the three reviews the one that goes into the most detail is Cunningham's, which is funny because Adriaan's is the longest.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Makes sense, back in the day its not like we all read reviews before we jumped into a game, I sure as hell didn't (and honestly still don't I read reviews after I've played the game most times)
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

I'm sorry to hear she's having a hard time, but I guess its good to count the small victories atleast she got to walk away from it. So long as you have a life to live, you've got a life to make better.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dorian wrote: I just saw a guy cosplaying as Link in a Japanese gay video.
EDIT: Sorry, no porn, regardless of spoiler tags. [-X

You can PM it though
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You know they've been doing DLC for a while and Iwata talks to Samus in Metroid Prime 3.

Cage is a megalomaniac, but theres a lot of examples beyond the tutorial in Fahrenheit. Ever watced one of his GDC talks? The guy is fuckin nuts.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

My main issue with gaming right now is simply to much content is locked/held back for DLC and to add to that now you get all this store exclusive crap. We are expected to pay the same price for less content and at the same time we keep hearing publishers bitch about used sales when they are ripping off new buyers left right and centre.

Yes in some ways this gaming has gone stale but i do blame some of that on the length of this gen and the devs. Not many will try new IP's this late in but then most of the one that do get burned because gamers seem to stay away from new IPs now days bar a small few and just stick to the yearly releases.

I certainly agree on DLC. What a developer is telling a consumer when they announce paid DLC is that their disc is worth shit. Not gunna sugarcoat it I'm going to do DLC, but it'll be free so long as I can help it (Bastion's DLC is free on all platforms except 360 because MS forced them to charge)
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bluecast wrote: Image

incorrect, he shows it to Eva

by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i always found em extremely pretentious

hence Dorian likes em :P
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Still too early for me to start pretending that this gen is in its "twilight.".

Kinda sounds more like you're pretending its not. Maybe they make games for PS3/360 another year or two, its not going to go a whole lot longer then that. whether you see November 18th as the end for this gen or not, fact is new hardware is on the horizon, and with profits and sales falling across the board, so are new ideas.

These are the "end of days" for this gen.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thats true, especially thinking back to when i first bought a 360 (certainly not in the same first years as the launch of it). I mean my life was a lot different, i hadnt even met my ex of 3 years, i was living in my own apartment, was in serious debt, was working in a different job, had different friends. I mean i didnt even know what COD was. .

Its scary when you think back, not in terms of gaming, but over that period of time! Think it was around that time Manny started growing a beard!

I shaved last week. I'm captain caveman today.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thats the funniest thing in all of it. The wii is the most hardcore console and the biggest casual one.

For years people who bought stuff like sports games were considered casual, because generally they'd buy a game per sport and not get more then 10 games per year. That hasn't changed, what has is the number of people. Just because theres more of them doesn't mean they've changed classifications they still buy only about 10 games a year, but since theres less sports games due to licensing they've picked up on the bigger brands. A person that buys Fifa, Madden, Nba 2k, MLB2k, Cod, Final fantasy, GTA, elder scrolls, mass effect and assassin's creed doesn't help the people who make Bayonetta, rayman origins, el shaddai, earth defense force, overlord, condemned or even games like Batman, and darksiders which despite being hailed as HUGE must have games across 3 skus weren't able to move much more then 2 million.

Truth is the 70% of people who bought xbox 360s for fifa and cod aren't any better then the 70% that bought the wii for wii fit.

That said, the wii has these odd games that just have "it". Tatsunoko Vs Capcom>MvC3, Metroid Prime corruption>Halo, The last story>final fantasy, Super mario galaxy>everything, Muramasa the demon blade >everything.

Theres a lot of games that don't rely on DLC or online multiplayer and just work as fun games all on their own. Sure it has stuff like "redneck jamboree" 360 and ps3 got "anything with an engine".

when you really look at it, this is the most "casual" friendly gen to the point that people don't even realize "core" gamers are buying games that for 20 years have been considered "casual".

Its that re-branding that has so many people feeling like gaming has left them behind, when its not true, they've simply tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. The game industry, the things people buy, the way things work, all of it is so twisted no one really knows whats going on. Thats why people want a new generation.

I think its time for that to end.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No, i'm an invested gamer, but I'm invested regardless of console. I buy the best version of each game for the best console with few exceptions and even with buying games for PC,360, Wii and PS3 as well as handhelds my biggest library this gen is PC followed by wii (which I play most of my wii games on anyway)

Just making the point that theres a lot of exclusive stuff for wii, so much so that its the biggest library I've got and I sold off wii sports, never bought resort, gave away wii play and wii fit and never even thought about buying fit plus.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thats the point I'm trying to make though. People who didn't buy wii fit are in the minority, but that it applies to everyone. I never bought Just Dance, but that sold a ton more copies then Darksiders, the same way wii fit sold more copies then monster hunter tri, the same way across every sku guitar hero and rock band did tremendously well for years.

The idea of him saying I don't have wii fit, is the idea that I'm not buying casual games, which is true, aside from a few marios (because i don't even have NSMB), but I'm also not buying casual games for other consoles. The idea here is to prove there are good games that are nothing like wii fit and wii sports and I've got a huge library bereft of both.

I understand you're not making this about multiple consoles, I'm just kinda of trying to get across why this gen needs to end, and how it needs to end. With people going nuts over how powerful new hardware is, they need to realize that they aren't going to get these deeper experiences, and i think people need to wake up an realize how much marketing their fed. Its no so much aimed at you, but i'm trying to make sure what you isn't misinterpreted by others.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Graphics Question

Theres a bunch of different reasons.

For one, the developer might not know how to use all of the features of a particular card. This might mean the card is great at pumping out filters or particles or that the card needs visual assets loaded in a specific order. As time goes on the specifics of the card become more clear, in working with it you notice quirks that you could code the game around to make it better.

Another thing is knowing all the chips in the system. even if you know everything about the GPU theres things that could directly improve performance that you might not know about. A CPU thats hard to work with might hold you up at first but after you've worked with it and understand it better you could use it's quirks to make the game better.

The designer them-self might just get better at making things as a system or as a designer. Once you've drawn something its easier to go back and draw in details, its the same with models. Once a texture or shell is done you could always go back and add a mesh or add more specifics.

So to answer your question on its most basic level, its because developers are learning to use a new set of tools, they've used similar ones but because these work differently they need to approach things differently.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic