Return

Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

The Shenmue Dojo moderation team has been modified:

Yama (Admin)
Henry Spencer (Mod)
Peter (Mod)
Mr. Kyodai (Mod)

OL: Awaiting response.

We will have a new wave to follow in the coming months, adding one to two new moderators.

Thank you for your support!
by Yama
Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

Hope Henry's brother doesn't find out his password again..
by Crimson Ryan
Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

Been a while since i posted here but Sailors? got in touch a few weeks ago suggesting i revisit the dojo. Truth is i didn't disappear or forget about this place and i still visit regularly despite rarely posting and the main reason for this is until recently i haven't had a functioning computer/laptop, i did try to post on my iphone but it was a great and unsucessful struggle so i chose not to bother.

I was a little reluctant to make this post as i'm not one who likes the spotlight, never chose to make a topic announcing me leaving or returning here or got into situations where politics could be involved it's just not really my style. But for anyone who is interested enough to know what HL has been up to in recent times then i'll gladly get you up to speed.

This summer i graduated from university, i'm now looking for a career based job but with my current job i've just been offered a promotion which entails a few more hours but a nice little pay rise as well. I've met a lovely girl who i've now been with for 8 and a half months, she has no interest in video games but i will force her to indulge in any new Shenmue title if it were to see the light of day. Finally i've got back into playing 5-a-side football (soccer) and won the league with my team last season and are sitting 2nd in this current season.

I may start to post here a little more frequently again, no doubt if some Shenmue related news comes to surface then it'll be a catalyst for discussion.
by Hazuki Legend
Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Indie Games

After doing a few Google searches, i was stoked to learn that Fire Maple Games are releasing a follow up to their games The Secrets Of Grizzly Manor, and The Lost City, called Mosaika! If you havet heard of them, or their games, you can check out my review of the two latest offerings from the Fire Maple team HERE ! The games are for iOS and Android systems, and work on all smartphones and tablets etc. They are simple point and click adventure puzzle games and i am glad the team have decided to stick to the winning formula they have used in their previous offerings! Here are the latest snaps!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/mk_screenshot1_800.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/mk_screenshot2_800.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/mk_screenshot3_800.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/mk_screenshot4_800.jpg

It says the release is due in "the fall", so i am hoping its going to be soon. REAL SOON!!! :D :D
by Peter
Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo in DOA5?

The only way I'll purchase DOA5 at anything but a bargain price.
by Yama
Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Expendables 2

Didn't post last night since I got home late. Probably fair to say if you liked the first, you'll love the second. These films were never going to be about character development, but as soon as the second starts and you see everyone doing their thing you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'll assume everyone here has already seen it and just mention the new additions. Van Damme plays a great villain, first and foremost. Surprisingly, he didn't get a huge amount of screen time. You first meet him when he confronts the Expendables team. Doesn't play it overly eccentric but is a very intimidating character and gets to show off his kicks very well in fight scenes with Stallone.

Essentially, Schwarneggar is more of a glorified cameo than a feature role. This is not a showcase of his glorious return to acting. Mostly delivers blunt one-liners. I'd say his performance in the first film alone is better than the whole of what he did in Exp 2.

Norris has the same short end of the stick. It's a very over-the-top lone wolf type of thing. I get the feeling if most people aren't aware of his work in the past, it's quite forgettable.

Nan Yu was the biggest surprise. She joins the team early on and never feels out of place as a woman in a man's world. I also liked how there wasn't any masochism towards her as if she wasn't capable. Dolph flirts with her allot leading to some comic relief. I hope she comes back for the third film.

Same for Hemsworth, as a dependable rookie. Probably brings as much as the 'human element' to this film as did the General's daughter or Mickey Rourke from the first film.
by Crimson Ryan
Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BROTHAMITE BROTHAMITE! Ask the wise Brotha fools!

Congrats Bro'man. You're a man who deserves the finer things.

Listen I'm gunna be going to see a lady friend soon, and its been a while, so I'm afraid I might be too rough the first day or two, I don't wanna hurt the poor girl, but I'm having trouble holding back. what should I do?

Start slow, but don't be afraid to tenderize that ass. Trust me, women love that shit. 8)
by Brothaman
Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nominate a new name for shenmuekidsx

I suggest a name rather then some random word or two. Makes conversations a bit better when your talking to someone named Peter or Kenny rather then Shenmoofan123.

I suggest the name Brian Blessed and make this your pic:

http://www.moviebrainrot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/31-blessed-415.jpg
by Riku Rose
Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nominate a new name for shenmuekidsx

here's an avatar if you like it ;-)
by south carmain
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sleeping Dogs

I was driving a taxi in the game the other day and stopped the car, a dude got in and was like "right, take me to Aberdeen" and Wei Shen is like "do I look like a taxi driver to you?" the passenger is like "ARGGGGGHHH" as I drive off bashing into loads of traffic. I fucking lol'd.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bronies

Pokemon is a bit different. No, its not surprising for a grown man (or teenager) to like Pokemon and it's gender neutral pretty much.
by Spokane
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Hosting (Please Support Us!)

You have been a great addition to our regular posters. :)

Please don't run away.
by Spokane
Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Does anyone have a Kowloon elevator shot? Nice color and atmosphere, as I recall.
by KiBa
Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1080p

Love the images you guys do.

by wdrpgwd
Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So about that new IP..

good question, let me ask my crystal ball
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/creatista/creatista1110/creatista111000020/10833404-male-fortune-teller-gazes-over-a-crystal-ball.jpg
and the answer is
http://www.upperplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/64ff821fc9toylet.png.png
by south carmain
Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona Series

Merged together the Persona threads. This series definitely deserves a huge and lasting thread.

Little story time on my time with the series. It's pretty obvious to those who know me, but maybe not so much around here. I'm a huge Persona fan since literal day one, one of my top three series. I started following the series when Revelations Persona was first shown in GAMEFAN. It looked unique, enough that I went on a whim and decided to keep tabs on it and eventually picked it up day one at my local shop.

Then came Persona 2: Tsumi, my favorite title in the series along with it's counterpart Batsu. Before the series was widely known, a lot of people around me just knew it for that random game I played with the crazy art style. Truer words couldn't have been spoken though, the games music and art style are still unrivaled imho. So stylish. I played through the Japanese original before the Guido patch and before the official translation. I printed out a huge translation called the Oracle of Maya, pretty much wasted an entire day at my aunts law firm one summer printing it out. Hilariously good times, but pure dedication. The series also got me into Soul Hackers, which I put only behind Tsumi in terms of quality.

After Tsumi and Batsu I faithfully played the series over and over, but knew a true sequel would never happen. To me, my 'Persona 3' was SMT Nocturne. Loved Nocturne so much, still do. But then the unthinkable happened, Persona 3! A lot of people thought the premise looked interesting, yet I was already in ecstasy. Where as Shenmue III is my gaming nightmare, this is my gaming feel good story. Many newcomers enjoy the games dungeon layout, though while I do think it's adequate, I don't think it keeps up in terms of keeping things fresh like Persona 2. You never quite knew what was going to happen next in that game. Nevertheless, the game was still amazing and quite possibly one of my favorite that generation, it actually lived up to my expectations all of those long years later. The rest is history as the series has since achieved decent popularity (without selling out) and I couldn't be happier. Feels good being there since day one. Really looking forward to Golden and the eventual fifth installment, that will be a slice of heaven if it's presented anything like Catherine is.

If you started with P3 or P4, put down the evoker and go play the best game in the series. P2. Fact.

http://zotaku.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/271010_persona2.jpg
by Yama
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

^
If Xenoblade were a woman, Dorian would have another reason to dislike it.
by Calshot
Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: You crazy sexy SOBS What is on your minds!

Cannot move or speak after a 3+ hour set from the Foo Fighters. Fuck i need to sleep for a week!
by Peter
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

Pretty gutted about this tbh. wipEout was responsible for a lot of people switching their attentions from the Saturn and N64 to the Playstation in the UK. End of an era.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/28882-sony-shuts-down-legendary/

A 30-year pedigree in video game creation is hard to beat but sadly the Psygnosis development studio – Liverpool Studio – which has brought iconic games like the Wipeout series and Lemmings to the world is to close.

The closure of the studio is considered a major loss to the UK gaming industry in terms of its legacy of achievements and the talented creators who were based there.

The last game produced by the studio was Wipeout 2048 for the PlayStation Vita.

“As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive market place,” according to a Sony statement published on gaming site Kokatu.

“As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.

“It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

“However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.

“Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWS!E and SCEE Departments,” Sony said.
by QWERTY
Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

Sorry, I meant for Sony's internal devs, three of them shut down very recently, back to back, all of their last games was for Vita.
And if it makes any difference, I'll buy your game.
by Henry Spencer
Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Way of the samurai 4 (Is it worth $40 on psn?)

I like japanese games, especially these niche style ones. Has anyone played this game yet (yes I know it just got released). I bought Shinobido Revenge of Zen on the Vita and I was kind of dissapointed with that game (lost interest), and this looks like it was made by the same team Acquire. If it has the same feel as Shinobido as far as controls and graphics I might pass.

For those who have this game please share with the rest of us what you like about the game and hate about the game.

Thanks

I don't have it (yet; going to import the UK version), but I have played all of the preceding games in the series, and I can pretty much assure you that the graphics will seem below-par, and the control certainly isn't going to reach triple-A levels of fluidity. Acquire is a smaller, more independent dev studio, and as such their titles aren't usually the kind to wow anyone from a technical standpoint (not to mention the fact that WotS4 is already kind of old in Japan; it's a wonder that it's finally getting a domestic release after so much time has passed).
The appeal usually comes more from the concepts and atmosphere that they present. There aren't many other places you can find honest-to-goodness ninja stealth games anymore, or open-environment samurai adventure games. Their games present something different from the current norm, but you shouldn't expect them to have Uncharted-level production values or anything like that.

I would say $40 is far too much for a digital-only release (and one that's already more than a year old in Japan, at that). I'll probably pay even more than that for the physical UK copy myself, but that's just because I desperately want the game for my collection; I'm already a huge fan of the series, and I've wanted this since it was first announced.
by OL
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Final Fantasy

Great music, battle system, art direction and overall visuals. At the time that alone was enough to impress and as an art major, it still has it's ways of smoothing over the overall package. It's not some historic title to me, but I accept it for what it was.

I feel the same way about the game. But the last time I brought it up, this forum almost crucified me :lol:

I agree it has it's undeniable faults, and is unusually linear for a FF, but I did appreciate it for what it was. From a visual standpoint the artistry was stunning, and I thought the battle system was superb. I also thought Lightening was pure amazing, and is one of my favourite FF protagonist's!
by mue 26
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Today is the day I become a real 'Merican yall... Im gonna shoot me one dem GUNS. First time to shoot one. Heck first time to even hear a gun be shot for that matter. Wish me luck I dont kill someone. Im usually very against guns but I just gotta shoot one before moving to Japan again where its illegal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Consider yourself lucky, I have seen bodies fall. 8-[

Honestly after all the fucked up shit I have seen and been through, I am sure I need to see some kind of shrink. But fuck it, me and segata will get through it together! *bro hugs segata*
by AnimeGamer183
Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something I'm interested in for the Vita. Looks pretty charming and fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ[/youtube]
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well I got engaged a few days ago. So that's a thing.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

F-Zero is good but I think I prefer WipEout tbh.

Just generally or the nintendo made ones, personally I wouldn't take anything over the Sega made one. Other then that I'd take wipeout.

Generally. I've spent a lot of time on F-Zero GX but the whole shebang isn't up there with the best WipEout games imo. WipEout feels a smoother experience when moving your ship whereas F-Zero feels more erratic and the lack of dedicated weapons means there is far less tactical play in comparison to WipEout. Plus as I said previously, WipEout's art direction and soundtrack far exceeds anything that F-Zero has to offer. I'm a slight Nintendo fanboy, but when it comes to futuristic racing sims I think Psygnosis are unparalleled.

I'll give you guys a race. May be a bit rusty though..

Yeah, I'm up for that. I haven't played it in a while so will get some practice in beforehand!
by QWERTY
Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think that's the main problem, people forget that gaming is for
fun
and most reviewers are smugger than wine tasters these days
by south carmain
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Videogame Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdcJWDNsao[/youtube]
by Riku Rose
Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Have most of the forum members dissappeared?

So I sniffed this place out for a while and realised that things have changed.

There's less negativity than before. Less bitching, it seems. Think i'll stick around for a while.

I'm sure you've all missed me, fellas.
by Clint
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Sleeping Dogs

I remember true crime LA being huge but lacking content and too big for no reason, the combat was stiff as well and the last boss was a bitch to beat for no apparent reason, NY was kind of fun but far from gta, I liked being able to plant drugs on people and buy music and that though also I was pretty big in to hip hop at the time and it kind of had that vibe

^^Quoted for being on the last page.

I liked the first to an extent; it had some cool ideas, such as the total recreation of a number of miles of real Los Angeles streets, a branching story, and the inclusion of shooting, driving, and melee all in one game (still rare back then). It certainly wasn't great (and admittedly in some cases was pretty damn poor), but it had some nice, honest ideas and tried to be something interesting. I can respect games like that.
And it made good use of Deftones' "Minerva" for the final boss music. I liked that. :)
But True Crime: NY was just another "thug life" pile of nuts from the San Andreas era. It controlled a bit better than its predecessor, but it was just so goddamn uninspired, I couldn't finish it. I may try again someday, but... eh.

Sleeping Dogs clearly doesn't seem terrible. It's miles above either of the old TC games, obviously. I can tell that much from the demo.
But it still doesn't feel like anything I need to get right now . It'll be a good, cheap buy later on when I'm just in the mood for a throwaway action romp. I can confidently say it'll never be a favorite of mine, though. It's one of those cases where I just don't need to play the full game to know that.
by OL
Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I am bored

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:theres always the dojo wiki

"Was once promised the head of Katsuhiro Harada by Segatatatata but is still waiting. "

Forgot about that.. :bad-words:
by Crimson Ryan
Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

by Guest

Jump to topic

^reminds me of ranma rpg
by south carmain
Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I do love this guy. Perhaps this video could fit in that Heavy Rain topic that's currently active (despite that game not being mentioned), or even a topic of it's own. But frankly he's basically reading my mind, is 100% correct and there's no reason to debate it. Because he's right. And I'm right. 100%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJaGSV75y0
by Gingefners, The
Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It also features one of the best NG+ ever (different endgame scenario set in a tower with loads of bosses that you have to defeat as you make your way up the tower, with new boss and new ending that brings further closure to the storyline). Love the game's battle system, shame we never seen any other game utilising it or expanding on it.
by Henry Spencer
Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tokyo Game Show 2012

“Smiles are connected by GAME.”

The Tokyo Game Show is an annual trade show for video game developers held at Makuhari Messe convention center just outside of Tokyo. Held since 1996, it is one of the world's biggest game shows, which companies use as a venue to launch new products and show off their latest innovations and technology.

The show is held over four days. The first two days are business days for invited members of the industry and media, while the third and fourth day are open to the general public.

Exhibitors - More Publishers/Games TBA

Capcom

DmC Devil May Cry
E.X. Troopers
Lost Planet 3
Monster Hunter 4
Resident Evil 6

Electronic Arts

FIFA 13 World Class Soccer
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Konami