Search found 757 matches

Return

Re: Recreation of shenmue 2 map

Best of luck with this, it sounds like an exciting project with a lot of potential uses.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki should be ashamedof himself!

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's in Yu's nature or indeed his culture to openly point the finger at Sega just to take the heat off himself. Even though he's independent he still has a working relationship with the company, so it would not be "good form" to publicly distance himself from their mistakes. He's said enough here and there to make it clear that the situation's been out of his hands, most specifically that if given the opportunity he would like to make Shenmue III. To go into detail on the knockbacks he has received behind closed doors at Sega HQ would risk putting a strain on their continued business association.

That's why it's up to the fans to go to bat for him and make it known where the fault lies, because Yu's too nice a guy and far too professional to labor the point himself.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega sure seems to really be popping them out now

Yokosuka Martian wrote:what else do they have left? Hint hint, Starts with an S and ends with an E.

Ah, so YOU'RE the one who requested Seaman Portable!

Get 'im, fellas!
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenhua as long turned into a woman.
Expect a lot of babies.
Maybe we should replace "Sega" with "Shenhua" in the thread title.

My guess is they were playing Guess Who? all this time.
They probably gave up on Hangman when Ryo would only ever guess "I" and "C".
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"So.... Do you like video games?"

*pause*

"I live in a remote village in the mountains...."

*pause*

"....I have the world's first Sega Saturn."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gui Zhang in Guilin? (don´t expect too much)

It's the Gui Zhang capsule toy. In Shenmue III Ryo flips out when he finds his own, and realizes he's in a Truman Show-style videogame.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So whatever happened to...

What if it's cheap as chips, redline?

Not that I think it should be, I just couldn't resist that reference after seeing your avatar.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your setup Entertainment center,PC rig

I took this picture of my "gaming rig" the other day, so may as well share here:

http://s12.postimage.org/ogme69fkt/IMG_20121017_00047.jpg

If you look closely you'll see the parcel tape holding the remote together. That's the remote for the TV/VCR combo whose VCR part stopped working years ago, hence the extra standalone VCR sitting under the PS2.

The future is now!

(Naturally I apologize for the Sonic Generations case dragging down the excellence levels in this scene.)
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I love how hood this setup is. Keeping it way real with the VHS.

That blue sticker on the front is proudly advertising its "60 Second Flash Rewind" - neglecting to mention that it sounds like a plane tearing down the runway whilst doing this. The people next door have been known to flee onto the street with their pets under one arm and cherished photo albums under the other while I'm rewinding a week's worth of Neighbours. Werd, yo.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Au contraire, the reason my TV/VCR combo's knackered is because I wore out the freeze frame button at the end of the Miss Royal Rumble contest. Phwoar!

Oh, and Toadie's still the man. There'll never be another Flick though. :sad:
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki should be ashamed of himself!

Gimme three weeks or so, and I'll be a card carrying member. :-#
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: On 10/28/2002 Shenmue II was released in the U.S on the

Airing the books and lugging crates were not enjoyable tasks, but they weren't supposed to be. It was part of the story, teaching Ryo (and the player) the value of patience and investment/sacrifice if you want to get anywhere in life.

Of course a lot of people have no tolerance for this when they sit down to play a videogame, but Shenmue is more than a game. It's an experience, telling a tale that involves the player in ways that other designers wouldn't dare - forcing the player to share the hardship that Ryo endures, so that we know we've genuinely put in the work to earn our reward. We can't experience Ryo's sense of humble achievement if we don't go through it with him.

That probably sounds nuts to some, but when you place it in context with the overall character arc along which Ryo is expected to travel - a hasty young man, consumed by the desire to fight Lan Di, into a level headed, mature hero with a greater grasp of responsibility - it only fits that the player is expected to travel the same road of emotional development.

And that happens by not brushing off the less exhilarating and more frustrating parts of his journey.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Announced

Yokosuka Martian wrote:You know, stories like these give me hope for Shenmue III. Just when you think you hear it all, shit like this pops up

Use the Force, Yu! Mickey and Donald gots ya back.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Funny you should say that, as GBR gamebytesradio is running a 24-hour Shenmue playlist in support of the Tweetathon today. It's a great listen.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I & II HD Listed in magazine

Peter, I think by "they" he means the magazine and by "what they don't have" he means a release date. He's not commenting on the existence of Shenmue HD.

Let's Get Sweaty - your friendly neighborhood translation service. :smile:
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Image

Who thinks that looks creepy

Yeah, you've got a point there.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: XBox mag: Why Shenmue III is a bad idea

It always frustrates me when people say Shenmue III shouldn't be made in case it doesn't live up to the originals. I mean, Christ. Are these same people afraid to cross the road? We'd never get anything done if we just played it safe to preserve the unchallenged and unproven image of how it "could" have gone in our minds. Shenmue itself would never have been made, for a start. Yu Suzuki would be talking about this epic open world adventure that "would" have captured the imaginations of gamers around the world, and we'd be saying, "Yeah, sure. Suppose you're going to tell us it would have been better than Crash Bandicoot 17? (Hope they don't make a Crash 18... Leave the memories alone!)"
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's from earlier this year, when the Internet was on the brink of exploding over a vague, non-committal remark from a PR rep whose job it is to make vague, non-committal remarks. You'd have to think that if there was any actual evidence to support this listing, it would have been more widely reported on by now.

That's not to say that Shenmue HD definitely won't happen. Just that this "mud at the wall" magazine snippet is, almost certainly, a red herring.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nintendo and Sega discussing the future of Shenmue ?

ShenmueTree wrote: It was evident from the start that this was fake

If only you'd imparted your wisdom a little sooner, you could have saved Kiyuu some time!
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Those unfinished games you want given a 2nd chance?

Omikron 2 (The Nomad Soul 2).

It's always been "on the back burner" at Quantic Dream but they keep moving onto new projects without resuming this one. There's almost certainly no commercial value in a sequel, but we're allowed to be selfish in this topic, right? I'd love to revisit that world with improved controls/gameplay.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

Quiet in here today!

Here are the current tallies:

Segata Senshiro - 1896
Hatsune Miku - 1633
Ryo Hazuki - 796
Vectorman - 716
Ristar - 622
Bayonetta - 576
ToeJam & Earl - 437
Billy Hatcher - 352
Blaze Fielding - 278
Axel Stone - 271
Phantom R - 268
Alis Landale - 239
Arle Nadja - 213
Sakura Shinguji - 203
Selvaria Bles - 202
Ash - 196
Opa Opa - 188
Welkin Gunther - 171
The ChuChus - 141
Space Harrier - 141
Bonanza Bros - 140
Kazuma Kiryu - 138
Sketch Turner - 129
Amitie - 109
Rag Rappy - 65
Jacky Bryant - 54

The top two seem uncatchable, but Ryo needs to keep his pedal to the metal if we don't want Vectorman nipping at his heels again. As they always say, the best defense is a strong offense, so we need to keep pushing forward right up until December 1st.

For anyone who missed it before the Sanshiro/Chuck Norris talk, I made a video that you might like to share when promoting the petition. Maybe it's not deemed worthy, I don't know, but here's the link if you want it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj-3jUf3PLc
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ahem, you mean you shared the link so a few other, unique people could vote. Good for you, if that's what you did, which it is. =D>
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HOLY FUCK! 1600?! First time in a long time the community even some of the vets who are more known for being distant in these things contributed. Awesome.

Don't be so surprised. There's a world of Shenmue fandom outside the Dojo's walls. One thing I hope people take from this experience is that different groups should be working together a lot more often, instead of the insular, almost tribal attitude that some people seem to have.

Earlier in this thread, when Ryo was struggling to pick up steam, someone asked "where are those Twitter guys now?" - referring to fans who participate in the monthly Tweetathons. But the question could just as easily be asked every 3rd of the month - where are those Dojo guys now? While some members of this site embrace it as a proactive movement towards Shenmue III, others seem to look down their nose because it didn't originate at the Dojo. But we are all one fanbase, we shouldn't be thinking in terms of us and them within what is already a niche community. I post wherever I can - here, Shenmue 500K, Shenmue UK, and of course Team Yu. If I had more than even a cursory recollection of my French lessons at school, I'd be joining the conversations at Shenmue Master as well. Integration and co-operation makes us all stronger, as this All-Stars Racing petition has proven. No single website or group could have done it alone, and I hope that resonates going forward.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can't speak for everyone, but its been a real fuckin long time, and many of us have been around the whole time. I don't think its people turning their nose up at something that wasen't started on the Dojo (we all got on top of this and it didn't start on the Dojo) its more that the constant campaigning doesn't seem like its making an impact to most of us.
I completely understand that. Time and disappointment breed apathy and cynicism. If anyone's got a right to succumb to those effects, it's Shenmue fans.

On the other hand, the Tweetathon was designed to be as easy as possible. Once a month, on the same day, post one tweet with the same hashtag. That's the bare minimum, and you're done for another month. The aim is for your tweet to inspire someone else, who might post their own which then gets retweeted. As the months go by, the snowball effect takes hold. We're seeing it happen, and while it's yet another Shenmue campaign, it has a whole new psychology behind it. One that ultimately may not even succeed, but in the meantime it's keeping the name active in people's minds until one of those people comes up with something better.

There's no good reason not to support this, but I take on board what you're saying - some people's hesitance certainly isn't about whether it was originally a Dojo project or not. My post above was about those for whom I still believe it might be. I just hope they're a minority who get over it soon.

EDIT:

Just had a look on Sega's forum, and there may be sticky times ahead for this petition.

Sumo's now saying that if more than three characters qualify past the 1000 mark, it won't necessarily be the top three who get presented to Sega. Other factors will be considered, with preference possibly given to those who have not already featured in the All-Stars Racing series. *GULP*

If it gets to that stage, fans will be invited to debate the matter on Sega's forum, putting forth arguments for why their favorite character should be chosen. My fear is that no amount of arguing will outweigh the fact that Ryo's already had a turn and, say, Vectorman hasn't.

So what we have to hope for, first and foremost, is that the "1000+ Club" remains pretty exclusive. Miku might be ruled out (to quote S0L: "If a character can't be done for licensing, legal or other reasons, we will have runners up as alternatives"), so that gives us a little breathing room perhaps, and I don't even know if they'd be allowed to use Segata Senshiro's likeness (it's a real-life actor, after all), so the chances are reasonable that it won't come down to a debate and preferential treatment. But lets all start sticking pins in Vectorman dolls to be on the safe side.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo's edged ahead of Miku to nab second place. There's only a handful of votes between them at the moment so their positions may fluctuate, but Ryo's had the greater momentum for a while now. Senshiro, get ready!
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo's currently back in third place behind Miku. For ease of reference I've cobbled together a page that shows live rankings, although it is slow to load: http://teamyu.net/race
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Today has finally arrived.

Is your sister wearing that bag, or is the bag wearing your sister?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Today has finally arrived.

Get your picture taken under the Ramsay Street sign and bring me Doctor Karl's autograph.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PSN,XBL,Eshop...which one will you get Shenmue HD on

Ha, I loved the N64 controller but QTEs would be a nightmare: Right, right, A, C-up, right, C-left... #-o
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Change.org is down. I think Kazuma's gone into rage mode on their servers after seeing how badly Ryo's been kicking his ass.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Skies of Arcadia HD news (GAF topic)

Apparent magazine scan here:
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/55061/Skies+of+Arcadia+HD+revealed/

Bear in mind however that this is the same website whose own interview with Ben Harborne started the whole Shenmue/Skies HD excitement back in March, so they're naturally going to encourage any rumor that adds weight to their initial scoop. For fans' sake I hope an official announcement follows.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new gam

"Sir, people on the Internet are saying we're not as good as we used to be! Word's beginning to spread, sir!"

"Hmmmm... Very well, destroy all evidence of how good we used to be. Then we can blame it on rose-tinted spectacles!"

"Genius, sir, utter genius."
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what is the Dojo doing, actively, to engage the userbase it has gathered over the past ten years or so into voting for Ryo and spreading the word to their friends?

I see one tweet on the Dojo's Twitter account, back on the 19th. Of those 814 followers, I'd venture to say that this one tweet would easily have been missed by enough would-be voters to catch up with Miku now. Would it hurt to post another? Nobody's going to unfollow after reading the same thing twice, over a week apart.

Putting the news on the front page is good, but for those who don't visit on a regular basis, how about an email sent out to all 6200+ forum members? Isn't this the type of occasion that such a function was built for? Again, no Shenmue fan's going to abandon the Dojo for daring to darken their inbox with an urgent call to action.

If Ryo finishes second then he'll still be included on the list presented to Sega (probably). But if his fanbase proves more powerful than even the fearsome cult of Miku, that surely becomes a much bigger bargaining chip for Shenmue III. As long as there's more we can do to achieve unqualified success, is there any reason at all not to be doing it? If not now, then when?
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Be that as it may, it's still a very useful promotional tool that should be exploited to its full potential for a cause like this.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another thing that I want to know is why the hell were non sega characters in the thread...

As far as I know, this game is called "SONIC AND SEGA ALL STARS", not "SONIC, SEGA & ALMOSTSEMINONSEGATALL ALLSTARS"... Well, I respect that but still don't find a reason...

When the petitions were set up, there was a rule against non-Sega characters but also some confusion around the licensing of Miku, so she was allowed to stay after it was later discovered that Sega don't own the rights.

That said, the actual title of this game is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - not specifically Sega All-Stars. And there are already characters in the game who aren't the property of Sega: Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph.

So basically it was a series if ambiguities and gray areas that allowed the likes of Miku to proceed as a contestant. If she hadn't had the kind of support she did, then perhaps the organizers would have been firmer, but apparently an angry mob of anime schoolgirl fans is something to be feared.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I saw that. :lol:

S0L posted this on the Sega forum today as well, echoing comments he's made in the past:

If I was Yu Suzuki, I'd create a Kickstarter to obtain the rights from SEGA and fund Shenmue III...
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any other bronies on the dojo?

On TV they were trying to interview one of the stars of this show, but she seemed to be a little hoarse.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You just beat me too it while I was typing, FourCartridge. :D

1% of Miku's votes were fake, 1.5% of Ryo's votes were fake. But Ryo still had more legit votes. 8)

Not sure how many of you have seen the discussion on Sega's forum about Shenmue III following Ryo's win, but have a read here.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Tweetathon went extremely well yesterday, so props to the forum members who made the simple effort. Here's a little more info about it.

As for Dojo management, what more can I say? I thought progress was being made with posts like this and the thanks received on this , but the silence of the website's official channels is now beyond conspicuous.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice attitude Ryudo.

The point however isn't about individual forum members, amongst whom there will always be a certain amount of apathy and pessimism. The point is about the Dojo itself upholding its position as a beacon for Shenmue fandom.

Don't get me wrong, the campaign doesn't rely on the Dojo's help. It would have meant a lot more when Team Yu was just getting started, and I emailed Yama to no response. So nothing's changed there, apart from the attention we've since garnered on our own. But it would still be nice if this site (as in, its official outlets, again not its members) would demonstrate some of that unity that was talked about during the All-Stars poll, for which I again had to kick and stamp my feet to get anything more than a solitary post out of each of the Dojo's official channels, while the rest of the Shenmue fanbase were plugging away day and night to earn and secure Ryo's place on top.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although I wrote the item quoted in that post, I was a little nervous when I learned someone had pasted it straight onto Sega's forum, where the reception was always going to be frostier than amongst the Shenmue fans it was intended for. But all things considered I think the thread has turned out rather well. Those who've tried wheeling out the old excuses against Shenmue III have had no comeback against the logic of fans who've given more than a minute's thought to the conundrum. The accepted wisdom has been broken down and exposed for the lazy thinking it's always been, and I'm now pretty pleased that it was given the opportunity to happen on Sega's own official platform.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic