Return

Re: Team Yu needs you!

It was much easier that i thought :lol:
by wude
Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

genuinely looking forward to his nan buying him the same wallet again as a replacement
by beedle
Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey team Yu,wanted to drop in and say hey,support you all the way!
My first post ever here,just picked up Shenmue again after quite a layoff.
Already a supporter on Twitter,let's stay positive for Shenmue 3,and in the meantime I'm just lovin' the series as it is so far :)
by Elevensixty
Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Do I Do?

Riku Rose wrote:
My boss was actually mugged and they let him keep the stuff in his wallet which is what gave me the idea.

He probably just needed an excuse to ditch his wallet.
by Thief
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Culture Shock!

I think I've come up with I good idea, but to be sure I'll pitch it here.
In the Versus Guide books, there are "Culture Shock" sections that tell you little snippets about Japanese culture and how the differ from more western culture. I like that but I feel that it can be more complete so I'm announcing a new project that takes every single "Questionable" thing in both Shenmue games and condenses them into a large comprehensive list of Facts and history about Japan and how they relate to Shenmue. Now, even though I am kind of obsessed with Japanese culture I will need fact checkers and helpers to help complete this project. I will also need HD screen caps of certain things in the game.

Once finished I hope to release PDF, CBR, and EPUB formats to be downloaded for free online.

If anyone is interested, comment in this thread and if you have any ideas of how to improve the project please share
them!

If you would like to contribute information please do by formatting your entrees in the following order

List them in alphabetical order:
Title of entree (Make up a title for your entree):
Relevant Character:
Location in game:
If there is a source, supply the source:

Ex.

H:

Hostess Bar : See entree "Snack Bar" 「スナックバー」

--

S:

Snack Bar : A "snack bar" (スナックバー sunakku bā), or "snack" for short, refers to a kind of hostess bar, an alcohol-serving bar that employs female staff that are paid to serve and flirt with male customers. Although they do not charge an entry fee (and often have no set prices on their menus), they usually have an arbitrary (and expensive) bill or charge a set hourly fee plus a "bottle charge". Customers purchase a bottle in their own name and it is kept for future visits.

Relevant Characters : Akemi

Found at : Bar Yokosuka

Source : Text from Wikipedia

-=======-=

- ST
by ShenmueTree
Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbyes in Hong Kong

I thought this was a really creepy topic until I suddenly remembered you actually go and say goodbye to people.
by Testament
Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The CAPS LOCK Thread

my caps lock is on per the conditions of the thread

although i am also holding down the shift key

because that is how i roll
by Sonikku
Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I'd love to start ShenmueII but I have a problem/questio

Ryo has much (much much much much much) less character hearing his Japanese voice actor. I know Corey gets a lot of shit for his acting skills, but he made Ryo who he is. His voice is synonymous with the character. Just small lines like "I'll break your arm!" would've had much less impact hearing it in Japanese. As a predominantly English-speaking community, we can't personally translate emotion from a foreign language with a distinctly different culture. They put different types of emphasis on different words. It just doesn't have the same effect as when hearing it in your own language. All we're really doing is reading lines with no hint of emphasis (as opposed to comic books and some novels which specifically point it out through use of italics) Thus, the characters' emotions are slightly too open to interpretation to be deemed in any way "better" than the English dub by those of us who don't know Japanese beyond "konichiwa" and "sayonara".

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of poor acting throughout the series' English dub, but as people say, that is part of the charm. Besides, most of the poor acting comes from non-essential characters. And do you really want to play most of the game having to look at the bottom of the screen? Shenmue I & II are beautifully crafted games. You don't want to try enjoying the detailed environment and camera angles during a cut-scene only for text to flash for a second then think "shit, I missed that!"

That is why, for us at least, English dub should be deemed as a, dare I say it, superior way of playing the game than to playing it with Japanese voice w/English subtitles.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dojo Awards 2012 Final Results

I should get it since I have no money after being mugged.
by Riku Rose
Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is any other gaming franchise as much a victim of hoaxes

The thing is, it's probably Shenmue fans who make these hoaxes most of the time. They're probably just so desperate for Shenmue news that they figure fabricating some is better than none. Either that or it's just Sega, "oh whats that, you want Shenmue 3 do you fanboys, OK, oh lookie here's some news... Ooof what, it was fake, oh no what a shame. maybe send us some more capsule toys....bitches.." Seriously, they probably have a dedicated department for this.
by mue 26
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: finally going to propose

Congratulations!

But there is one last thing you must do. Abruptly cut off all contact with her soon. When you surprise her, pretend you're desperate; you've lost your job, your left eye, the use of your right arm, and say you're homeless too, body and clothes filthy with soot and dirt (stop shaving now, by the way). Say you need money and a place to stay for a little while. At this very point, kneel and offer her a ring handmade with wire or something to make sure she really loves you for who you are inside. If she says yes, then give her the real ring, and reveal your ruse. If she says no, then she will have revealed her ruse.
by KiBa
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Specific screencap needed!

I'll do it for you if you want. Give me a couple of minutes.
by Mocha Joe
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Specific screencap needed!

I will never forgive you for taking my chance at glory, Ziming.
by Mocha Joe
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Mysterious Tape

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV3tH-R3R7Y[/youtube]
by ShenmueTree
Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If Shenmue HD happens

just what Ziming said. Stop it or show proofs
by Schiff
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Re: Did Shenmue have the best music ever?

Consider this:

Here's my approach. Compose some music first. Put all my thoughts into a tune without
telling anything. Then let the staff, planners and scenario writers, listen to it.
And when each of them get some inspiration, I collect them and start shaping them into
a form. Getting ideas from various people including my thought is a good way to create
things with no particular color. Without writing sentences, without drawing pictures,
just music stimulates the imagination to create a new universe. So I made the music first. Read more.

Yu Suzuki first creates the music and (based on that) then creates the universe. So, in Shenmue there is a 1-on-1 relationship between music and the game itself. Shenmue it is a great game, so it has great music, or, Shenmue has great music, so it is a great game. Both of these sentences [and especially the second one, based on what Suzuki-san said (i.e. he first make the music, then the universe)] are valid, only when the inspiration that they have gathered from the music , have taken some excellent form (and reflects the greatness of the composed music)· and this is something that happens in Shenmue.
by Giorgio
Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll tweet throughout the day
by Yokosuka Martian
Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ive also tweeted sega a few times today
by hiro94
Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is my first time participating. :)
by _StreetSonic_
Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

I'm still dumbfounded by them not doing Shenmue III and instead move on to Shenmue Online. All that time spent on SO coulda went to SIII.
by Yokosuka Martian
Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I answered to both calls of duty from my phone on the toilet.
by Axm
Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah gettin my tweet on
by Elevensixty
Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

Don't be that guy... But yeah, the idea's been "kicked" around, but only SEGA or Suzuki himself would be able to do it.
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did my part and tweeted several times yesterday.
by ShenmueTree
Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I tweeted a couple of times, myself too, glad to hear it went well.
by Henry Spencer
Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Outdated daily things we take for granted

1. Circumcision is good. It lowers the risk of contracting sexually transmitted disease and cancer. It developed among civilizations with ancient memory, for the purpose of cleanliness, like traditions of clean and unclean foods saved people from disease, even if they did not know why.
There's just a few studies that didn't find anything really conclusive. In science this usually means that there's no real proof and most likely due to measuring errors (or biased researchers). The case of circumcision is one of those where some found a subtle advantage while others even found a slight disadvantage when it comes to diseases. Pretty typical of cases where there is no effect at all. And about cancer : as researchers said, just shower regularly and it's a non-issue.

As far as I know, the number of people in the EU getting these diseases aren't alarming when compared to the US. Actually, considering that many die worldwide during these rituals it's not clear to me if a claimed slight advantage would weigh up against these numbers.

Saying that ancient tribes did things without knowing why is not really a plus in my eyes. They sacrificed people, they elongated heads, necks, shortened feet. None of which had any real benefit.
Circumcision is also prevalent in Anglosaxon countries in the West. Largely because of the influence of the Victorian era and its morals.

PS Why did god create it and ask to remove it? I guess being forgetful and asking mortals to correct the mistake afterwards is not it? Showing courage just seems an odd choice since suicide can take more courage but isn't allowed. The custom differs from country to country, era to era though. Which (to me) sounds more local and man made than divine.

Honest question : to each their own of course. I mean, people modify their bodies for several reasons. But if this is partly related to sexuality, why bother circumcising a child? Instead of letting adults choose later if they want to go through with this procedure?

by ys
Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wouldnt donate a penny, unless the fund was officially started by a credible gaming studio, or Suzuki himself.
by Peter
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SEGA would probably spend the money on hookers n' blow if we funded 'em.
by Yokosuka Martian
Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Future of Playstation. Feb 20th.

^To me the news is Sumo is (maybe) working on LBP3.
by ThyDarkAngel
Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How to win a Private Dinner where Yu Suzuki is Present!

Planned a trip to MAGS. On their website I saw the following news:

http://www.mags-monaco.com/index/news/idNews/31/title/Grand+concours+ouvert+%C3%A0+tous+%21+Des+Prix+fabuleux+%C3%A0+la+cl%C3%A9+%21

translate.google.com :
Greater competition open to all! Awards fabulous key!
return
Shibuya International will close the festivities associated with its 10th anniversary in grand finale at the Monaco Anime Game Show.

On this occasion, an exceptional competition is organized to Tuesday, February 19 at 20h

To participate, you must

1) "liker" Facebook page (FB) of the event if it is not already ^ ^: https://www.facebook.com/mags.monaco

2) Bring as many people on the same page they have FB "liker" also

3) They must post the name or nickname of their sponsor on the comments section of the YouTube page available on the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHT2LPHhrOs

Note: The same name or alias must be present on the FB page MAGS

A draw will then be made ​​among the sponsors who have brought a minimum of 30 people on the FB page MAGS

Complicated? Maybe ... but it's worth the effort because our single winner will receive:

• 2 Tickets to the private dinner Shibuya International 10th anniversary in a luxury hotel Monaco in the presence of Go Nagai, Michel Ocelot, Yu Suzuki, Yoshitaka Amano and Akino Arai on March 2
• 2 VIP Place for Anime Game Show Monaco including lots of our partners
• The signing of four guests of honor

Shibuya International reserves the right to refuse anyone who does not agree it seems (by behavior) with the image and values ​​of society.

This informal competition can be stopped at any time in case of irregularities.

Is it possible for us (Shenmue Scene) to get Shendream/David from Shenmue Master to this dinner, by participating this competition?

I'm sure this is possible as a community! Let's hear our voices!
by rdk_nl
Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega returns to the hardware business

Other than having the decals there is nothing about these things worth buying. It's crap meant to suck money from suckers.
by Bluecast
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HD picture of the Shenmue tree?

I knew that Magic Weather System originated from somewhere...
by Yokosuka Martian
Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I finally got Shenmue....

And it's fucking awesome!I ordered the first game from Ebay last week and got it yesterday.I seriously thought the game was gonna be overrated but i was wrong.I started playing the game yesterday and today i reached disc 2 and im on the part where you have to get into warehouse 8.It sucks i was only 6 when this game came out if i was a bit older i would've bought it but when i was a kid all i had was a ps1 and a n64 my uncle had a Dreamcast when he lived with me but i only played it every once in awhile.I just can't beileve how well the game stands up for being from 1999,Best 21 dollars ive ever spent.
by hiro94
Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to win a Private Dinner where Yu Suzuki is Present!

Competition Ended, now we have to wait patiently!

Wanna say thanks to:
⋅ 1. Durimanful
⋅ 2. Stacey Wardle
⋅ 3. kenzeus
⋅ 4. XR3NX
⋅ 5.Shoqolatee Pearl
⋅ 6.Tlacaelel Mendez Reyes
⋅ 7. Scott Gunner
⋅ 8. SelfActualized174
⋅ 9.MisanthropicStoner
⋅ 10. dapeoplesperson
⋅ 11. Fandango Feinstein
⋅ 12. deewon4
⋅ 13. alphaphoenix55
⋅ 14. Pender8874
⋅ 15. theirishcowboy
⋅ 16. Giorgio Sotiro
⋅ 17. barrysbaps01
⋅ 18. secsiboi
⋅ 19. jordi lopez
⋅ 20. Marcin G
⋅ 21. Alexander Munoz
⋅ 22. TheDemicon
⋅ 23. heady2009
⋅ 24. YingYanYuck
⋅ 25. TeamYuNeedsYou
⋅ 26. Ziming
⋅ 27. Mike c
⋅ 28. KT Fluty
⋅ 29. GBR gamebytesradio
⋅ 30. Joris Schalk
by rdk_nl
Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese version of this text

Kiyuu wrote:Roma(nization) wasn't built in a day, you know? ;-)

by Bambi
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

It's not triple-A, so everyone hated it. But if you like slashing people with samurai swords, it's not bad.
Not a great game by any means, but it's not the abomination they make it out to be. Should be cheap nowadays anyway; anywhere under ten bucks is probably really fair.
by OL
Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic