Search found 134 matches

Return

Re: Random Thoughts

OMGina guys and gals, have you ever SEEN THIS??? :-O

https://youtu.be/wUaeFFkzKqs

I can't believen my eyes, this is waaaay too funny!
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Spaghetti wrote:Can't believe we're only $6000 away from that $6.6 million milestone. Fingers crossed for an update after we pass it.

Cool, so what's that, around 300K raised post-Kickstarter? That's great!
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ps4k and shenmue 3

With budget/time being a big concerns for shenmue i don't think we would, unless sony pony's up the extra cash or if upscaling is as easy as adjusting resolution.

It depends really on what the ps4k actually ends up being, it could just be a console that supports bluray 4k discs and vr a little better for all we know...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
by FlagshipFighter
Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Kiske, i think your logo is fantastic!

The only other thing i would guess YS.net would want is for the 'n' and 'm' to look more like normal letters for them to be legible to newcomers.

Of the two that you've worked on, I'd keep the 's' from the first one (without the circles) and the 'h' from the second one that you've cropped. And by applying a flat vector and boom YS.NET and awesome Japan have saved some precious time and dough too.

Which goes to show lol you should either be paid or aknowledged in the credits. Either way, we appreciate your work! :-)

by FlagshipFighter
Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue title change

Ryo Hazuki and the Art of Seduction

by FlagshipFighter
Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

YES! YES! YES! Kiske, you did it!!!

That's a wrap, send it to YS.NET and hope for the best! They'll love it! :-)
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

It's not just a case of swapping the VO, guys.

If they're making an effort at localisation that means there will be changes between the English and Japanese dub to better suit the markets. It's the same reason why the Shenmue Undub mod just has periodic silences because there's no equivalent for the English subs.

Dual VO could possibly mean full retranslation for all subs (and don't forget, the game will be in 5+ languages subtitled), to properly translate the VO.

And lets not forget guys and gals, they're planning to do lip syncing as well to some extent. I'm intimidated just thinking how much work and hours they need to do and if they are going to do it in Jap and/or ENG.
by FlagshipFighter
Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reticence (Tears of Separation Remix)

I really enjoy your renditions, and the sheer amount of thought and talent you put into all your tracks. All of them are stunning and i always find myself listening to at least one of your tracks once a week...

Thanks for all the effort and contributions you've made over the years too, for me you were key to reminding me just how special and unlike anything else shenmue really was by putting it on the forefront of our minds. And it was always great to hear new shenmue content crafted with such skill that made listening to these classic tunes invigorating and fresh again... :-)

by FlagshipFighter
Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-how-did-shenmue-3-raise-63-million/2300-6426535/

Yeah, that part's really cool! To elaborate I just meant it as if Sony were to provide extra EXTRA funding, perhaps so that YS.net can reach their 11 million + milestone plans...

Also, I noticed that #AskSEGA is a thing that they've been doing recently. Has anyone tweeted about S1&2 with the hashtag? They teased some suprises of dreamcast-related ports to come down the line (this is from the SEGA Europe youtube channel). Hopefully E3 will reveal more!

What do you think? This is news to me.
https://youtu.be/FdyAgPDe9rI
by FlagshipFighter
Wed May 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 - Dates, Games, Rumors.

P.s. Anyone interested to hear from the Splinter Cell devs talk about things like the Panama fiasco and their views on Metal Gear Solid V (whilst playing Chaos Theory Panama bank level!) should check this out, good watch imo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TMhgNi7X53c

by FlagshipFighter
Mon May 09, 2016 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #AskSEGA to #SaveShenmueHD

https://youtu.be/AZCOj24WGBM

I'm excited, really happy to hear that they are enthusiastic about making this happen! I'm sure they will persist and find a way to make it happen for us! If Capcom managed to bring Tatsunoko characters in the west anything is possible! I do wonder if though if there are complications regarding the engine license, as surely they could replace things like the Timex watches etc.
by FlagshipFighter
Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

Just imagine guys, Shenmue. 60fps. 1080p. Widescreen. Achievements. Uncompressed sound. JP/EN language. Unreleased Features/Directors cut content. A playable Saturn port. Special features...

And yes. Yes I am a masochist,.
by FlagshipFighter
Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

It's apparent to me that SEGA is ran by incompetent idiots. That couldn't cash in on something even if someone handed them the winning lottery ticket.

I expect this "investigation" to go as smoothly as Jet Set Radio Future or Skies of Arcadia.

Hahaha I was imagining Blackadder's tone reading that! XD

"Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here!"

by FlagshipFighter
Thu May 12, 2016 11:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview (May 9 Bessatsu Shonen Mag)

Great interview, thanks for your efforts OP!

It's funny isn't it? How Shenmue 1 and 2 had basically all the money in the world at the time but had to deal with the constraints of technical/storage limitations whereas Shenmue 3 it's effectively the opposite.

To be honest, I think some level of constraints do wonders for projects, and Yu dealt with them amazingly in the first 2 games. Remember in that documentary, how Yu drew that CPU to efficiently allocate rendering resources. Usually being in a situation that allows you unlimited resources causes issues, to which time defaults to becoming the most precious part of the equation. Obviously some games like gta, halo and naughty dog games thrive, but majority of boxed games and annual games suffer.

Yu's biggest benefits here are definitely the ease of use for engine, fast pre-production as well as the productivity tools that exist today to ensure smooth development.

Considering they had great cutscenes from the very beginning/first month is promising to me. I know Yu likes to take his time but he seems so much different today then back the dreamcast era, he seems to have a level head, clear and realistic approach to getting Shenmue 3 done, which is exactly what this project needs! #Hype!

Don't know about anyone else here but I would love to watch a Doublefine 'broken age' style documentary of Shenmue 3's development after the games release. I'm sure they'll have something akin to the kickstarter interviews...

by FlagshipFighter
Fri May 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LAST FIGHT (Steam)

Looks cool, hopefully it reaches consoles!

by FlagshipFighter
Sun May 22, 2016 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

https://www.destructoid.com/this-gabe-n ... 2838.phtml

Don't know about anyone else but seeing this video of Gabe Newell makes me glad we got a Shenmue 3 in the end...

by FlagshipFighter
Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/737615829978611712

Mysterious tweet. Fans are linking this to E3, but I think it might be a meeting/progress update about the game and little else...

I don't want to put my hopes up, m'kay? :-p They'll be plenty of other games to see dammit!

Good kickstarter update though, glad they were in a position to hire someone like him, he seems really talented+a great cost-effective method compared to hiring someone like him from the start.

Come On Now... :lol:

They are going to kill us :twisted:
Hahaha they literally will if they keep doing what they're doing and end up showing us nothing by E3 :-p

by FlagshipFighter
Tue May 31, 2016 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Tbh Shenmue isn't at the forefront of my mind at E3 this year, probably because another game I'm anticipating in (Mirror's Edge) is coming out very soon and I at that point in the console cycle where I want to look forward to the newer IP's+new sequels unveiled at E3 this year. No matter what, last year will be the best E3 ever for me, nothing can change that, but similar to what someone else said here, I just want to enjoy watching E3 for the first time without having to wish upon a star for Shenmue news. And with that, hear your reactions/opinions, memes and everything else we love about the event.

Also, after backing a few projects prior Shenmue 3, I'm used to how the bulk of the news is direct, and how we just play the game that is 'anticipation' and look forward to its eventual arrival. I mostly look forward to progress updates, and visiting the dojo and checking up on the community. I'm indifferent to any Shenmue 3 related e3 news tbh, but not in a bad way...

I recently went to Comic-con in London, was in the queue for Tekken 7 and next to me was another avid Shenmue fan and the shortly after discussing our nostalgia, we just had to hug it, Huber-Hype style!

And BTW, I love you all! Spaghetti, keep your fingers on the pulse of our community! ;-)

by FlagshipFighter
Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue: The Movie Remastered (Fan Remake)

phpBB [video]

Congrats Mr357!!!

by FlagshipFighter
Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Heart of Gold campaign

Cool! Just pledged, unfortunately it wasn't much because I've recently made some big investments so I need to ease off spending atm but hopefully every little helps! :-)
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan Di has sold the mirror to the Tokyo museum.

At first I was angry but then I figured it out and it's totally a-okay... Lan Di is a kickstarter backer! xD eff yeah!

by FlagshipFighter
Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Loading Screens - Kept or Removed?

I rather have seamless transitions than long ass waiting screens.

You can update them by putting the info on the bottom right hand side or something.

Agreed 100%, I like that feeling of presence. I still remember from shenmue 1 just before Nozomi gets kidnapped it shows the loading screen of 2am or something and I was like whaaaa? Love the genuine feeling of suprise both games had like this when they disrupt the usual/daily routine/cycle.

P.S. Stalking thingy-san in Shenmue 2 and going to each of the elevators was intense too!
by FlagshipFighter
Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #58 - Keiji Okayasu for Shenmue III

BTW I really like how in the video Okayasu-san asks us to keep our expectations high at the end. It instills a lot of confidence imo (great to see post-Mighty No. 9) and I think it's a great mantra to have and engage us with as I'm sure some of us like to keep things more 'in check' like myself.

Hopefully one day in my own level of work I can say that to my clients. Takes a lot of guts/courage to say that (and not feel the weight of pressure) and just think he said that to backers... of on of the craziest fanbases out there... arguably second to bronies!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
by FlagshipFighter
Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Thanks. I think so. My next big game will be Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) a little less than two weeks from now. Hoping for a good story.
Oh, you're in for a treat! I watched my brother play it last Xmas, very pretty game! I liked the first game, but personally got a bit burned out on that type of genre atm so I still haven't gotten around it. Would rather play uncharted 4 as I enjoy the story/vibes more (although, I don't really enjoy much of the gameplay in 1-3) but I still don't have a ps4 yet. Playing yakuza 4 though atm and loving that, recently finished 3 and over the course of the game loved it! Was really happy about this as I couldn't get into the first one. I have 3, 4 and 5 and if I finish them by the end of the year I may pick up a ps4 sooner (before shenmue 3) for yakuza 0 launch or yakuza 6 (if it comes out). Hopefully we hear more at PSX w/ shenmue!

Message from all: is any of the yakuza spinoffs worth playing? Im new to this series and don't know much about it, but I have seen a zombies one in a store recently... thx!
by FlagshipFighter
Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

^Guys I'm too frail, I don't think my mind or body is ready for any of this kinda news, it's making me shiver just thinking about it xD

I would take this to answer the above:

100% this is the real Shenmue. Yu Suzuki said that "the full on Shenmue experience we have been waiting for."

He wasn't lying.

is any of the yakuza spinoffs worth playing? Im new to this series and don't know much about it, but I have seen a zombies one in a store recently... thx!

It really depends on your tastes. If a third-person shooter with zombies is the kind of game that would normally appeal to you, then throwing in the Yakuza characters and sense of humor will only make it more enjoyable. But if all you're playing it for is the Yakuza-ness, then you might struggle to stick with it. Bit of a sliding scale really, but if you can get it cheaply then I'd say it's at least worth a try.

Thanks, I bought it and uhh, the controls are pretty funky aren't they? XD not in a bad way necessarily, it's endearing, reminding me of the simpler times in the DC/PS2 era.

I recently wrapped up Yakuza 3 after leaving it for the past few months, it was good but holy smokes I just finished Yakuza 4 and I loved loved LOVED it! The series has (finally) clicked with me!

Currently in the beginning of Yakuza 5 now and gameplay wise it's only going up, up and up. Love how the environment/roads now seems 'to scale' and the camera/fov is more shenmue-esque. The driving is cool too.

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for telling me to persist with the series, I think it's my new favourite thing. I just love roaming. I bought these games used from stores/psn because I got into these series late but you can be sure I'll be there to preorder/buy Yakuza 0/6 and buy a PS4 earlier than expected, by far my favourite Sony exclusive game.
by FlagshipFighter
Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Yokosuka wrote:Arilan's metal cover remix of the Shenmue main theme

phpBB [video]

:-O

Oh my words, holy-freaking smokes... that cover left me speechless. What a masterpiece of work right there, thank you for sharing that!
by FlagshipFighter
Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flagship's Shenmue Design Projects

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since my last update here, sorry about that! I've used this machine for a few work related and some quality of life projects but little else.

I've worked a little bit at some points earlier but didn't get to follow through... until yesterday during my playthrough of Yakuza 5 where I found myself bursting with joy with the games hilarious sidequests and engrossing pace that I had to make time to dedicate something cool towards my (now) two favourite game franchises.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161109/e845119fcc3d38dd5dcf5bcb73158a0a.jpg

And here we are, the dragon of dojima's tattoo and the 4 wude laser engraved (quite deep may I say) burned on wood. It took some time, I'm pleased with the results but deciding atm whether to use wood stain or varnish for full effect. Or might leave this as is atm and work on more pressing matters... for now xD.

Interested to hear your thoughts, excited for what may or may not await us at PSX!!! :-)
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Flagship's Shenmue Design Projects

Hi everyone!

With my product des. degree (finally) coming to a conclusion I invested in a 3d printer, engraver, scanner and drawing tool to learn how to keep up my interests and learn some new skills. I have a background in product, but I've never been familiar with working this sort of machine. And now that I own one, I'm keen on making it a hobby to produce some really cool pieces.

And what better place to start than Shenmue! I've just been running some quick tests by modifying images on google, but I hope to actually produce something bespoke whilst pertaining to Shenmue.

I started out with the Mirror to be drawn on sketch paper:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160814/17c7d75a863d85691637cd89e60bd101.jpg http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160814/dd8d7dfc32d38999790a04f3d2f70b02.jpg http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160814/667ea4755e348fd4eb67056620ecf59a.jpg

I was impressed with the output of this piece. I wanted the effect of natural ink strokes here. The machine took like an hour to do this though :/. I think next time I'll try engraving on cork...

Atm I'm in the process of benchmarking this machine in order to spot any defects as it's warranty period is short.

This piece may be unimpressive as you could just 2D print this, but I imagine it would look cool on a different material.

(BTW I think it's worth mentioning because I saw another 3D printing guy get flack for this on another thread, I do not intend to profit or sell this stuff, this is purely a pursuit of craft and passion for myself in my own time. I take the handling of other companies IP's seriously and wouldn't want to infringe. I do however intend to send some of the more 'creative' stuff to several of my favourite Dojo members as gifts for being awesome and an amazing source for this community over the years.)

Tl;dr Very excited to try out some more stuff and add to this thread! Share your thoughts! :)
by FlagshipFighter
Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/45255c4376ac96138c9562f0b1079f0d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/af52ab44207ac97ec566567c5181e285.jpg

Just a quick update: this was done a little while back but here are a couple looking more pieces done, using a the same technique as the prior two above.

Both these vectors are tracings and stylistic interpretations I've done based on reference images on shenmue/yakuza images on google (which I'll add citations once I have computer access), in order for the machine to effectively transcribe and engrave at a highest quality.

The shenmue one especially took around 16hrs to do! The room stank so hard of burning basal wood (think matchsticks) at one point my mother came over, walked inside and exclaimed "are you taking drugs?" xD priceless

Unfortunately one of the shenmue projects I was working got deleted. It was my most ambitious one yet and was a little disheartening to lose those 2ish hours of progress :(. But I've learned a long time ago that one shouldn't be put off by these setbacks and rather tackle the task again and with better knowledge + efficiency.

P.s. just finished watching the 3rd one of Peter's dojo streams. This has been my new favourite thing to look forward to in the week and a true reward for the middle of the week. I want to take this moment thank Peter for being an amazing host and the community in chat, it's been the biggest step for the dojo community since tapatalk integration imo xD thank you all and hope you all end 2016 on the highest note whilst it's still around!

Take care, love and respect!
by FlagshipFighter
Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN: CHRISTMAS EVENT

Hi ShenSun!

I just had the opportunity to play your game today in between some of the 3D modelling/printing projects I had going on throughout the day and all I can say is... WOW!

I feel like you captured the vibe and atmos of shenmue incredibly well, and I like the sense of community happening between the characters, it was very fun to see and participate (as myself!) in. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and the experience felt very immersive.

As anonymous81 above me says, a lot of moments were incredibly funny and entertaining, and I found myself laughing out loud throughout.

(Perhaps because I had to pause at some moments during gameplay) but I wanted to acknowledge that the lapse of time felt incredible and it genuinely gave me the sense that I went through a whole day in Shenmue-land.

Love how Chai was scrooge, thought that was really cool. Also enjoyed that beautiful moment during the dream sequence, and I almost choked on my drink when I saw the likes of Goro and Kazuma and all the one-liners! And I love how you fleshed out characters like santa

It's very nicely put together with so much love and care, it left me with a smile throughout and after. Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together, I didn't really have many breaks this holiday (and I wasn't in the mood to play anything on my console either) so having this bitesize yet big-on-heart experience has left me with something very memorable and positive for my holidays.

Thanks again, I look forward to all that's yet to come from you and the community. Love and respect, keep friends with those you close to you x
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

Doods! I kept calm when I saw the domains, it definitely feels like progress for sure, but (to me) the effort for a corporation to do such thing is still relatively small. At least the domains were registered way back in September (around the time in which they explored interest and were "investigating" doing such a thing).

As I said before though, it's all still good progress I do want to be hopeful, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment either (That time when that Sega marketing exec teased the shenmue and skies of arcadia ports still hurts).

However seeing that second (fake?) leak about an August release w/ both instalments (+Xbone) did get my heart racing there for a few minutes (darn that leaker!). Although it would be disappointing, I do see how SEGA would not port the remasters to PC (straight away compared to consoles) if Valkyria Revolution proves anything, because that game that pretty much thank its existence to steam, and yet they (for now) only announced PS, Xbox and Vita (I know it's a great handheld for this game, but c'mon I'm sure it would've performed better on steam in comparison). Hopefully to those who want it on steam maaaybe they just need to give it more tlc to make it a good port. SEGA have been doing great PC ports/games from their European division so I hope that has set a standard for them to match.

Hopefully E3 will bring many surprises instore... :)
by FlagshipFighter
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Box Art

I'm really excited to see what new art, images and assets they will conjure for this game! It's a nice cover OP but I think over time those images from the earlier games retro-fitted into new covers. Also the collage of characters are not well constructed/considered nor is the use of colour imo.

I know it has mixed opinions, but I really liked the Xbox (european) cover to Shenmue 2. The reason is because of the homage it pays to Drew Struzan's work from and all the Star Wars/Indiana Jones boxarts. It gives the game the right impression, that is of a world and story of an ambitious and unprecedented scale. What I liked most about it is that (unlike most things today) it's actually handmade (painted) which totally gives it the right, timeless vibe and imo stands out from the others, especially with that colour pallet.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shenmue/images/5/5b/Shenmue_2_Xbox_Cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150616173941
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which character deserve a spin-off game and How would it

Fantastic question OP!

I like @JohnDoom's suggestion a lot! More of Xiuying would be great!

Maybe this is the Yakuza 0 hype train talking, but I would love to see a prequel of sorts Shenmue 1, which would delve deeper into Ryo's personality and relationship with his friends prior to the day the snow that turned to rain. To keep it interesting as a game, maybe it could cut back and forth with a playable Lan Di covering the events that @southcarmain mentioned?

With it being a prequel and all, maybe this can be marketed to new players much like Yak0 did? Haha maybe we should all get together to create a pitch for SEGA xD

(I do think a 'Shenmue 0' could work using a medium other than games, like a TV series, animated or otherwise. I wish there were more 'published' Shenmue lore out there). Anyways, looking forward to tomorrows update!
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When do you think we will see in this month's update

Just for some light-hearted fun here:

by FlagshipFighter
Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When do you think we will see in this month's update

As spags says, I'm sure the waiting game is the best thing going for us right now (at least until the 3rd of Feb), but I'm sure something tangible and cool is coming soon before Monaco.

So I thought I'd produce my own update for this month on my thread in the community section to summarise what I've been doing, hopefully it will fill some of the void of no kickstarter updates today, but no promises xD Hope you enjoy, stuff like this helps keep me sane from the day to day grind!

UPDATE: Apologies for broken image links, FIXED!
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

January 31st Update:
Greetings everyone, we're already towards the end of the first month of the year! :O Crazy! I managed to get up to quite a lot of stuff done for here, though I'd never talk about it 'till it was done, just like sony and the other big boys, I like to shadow drop, I'm sure you would agree it's more fun to see results rather than talk-talk-talk of intentions, I sure do! xD Here's the rundown!

SEGA DVD/Blu-ray Stand:
I've been wanting a cool desk stand for my games for a while now. This month I thought I would take soem time/steps to designing one:
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bc397c17.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bc322edf.jpg
After the design/3D modelling phase was over, I was ready to start printing the pieces:
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bbb67e73.jpg
And through that journey, there were many setbacks and failures, that's the name of the game when it comes to product design, you can't let yourself get discouraged for too long, you must persist!
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bbc23965.jpg
And then we get to post processing and assembly to complete the final product. As a one-off personal piece, I'm happy, but going forth if I wanted to produce some more, I would think about improving some of the draft angles on the sides of the design as well as producing a more cost-effective+weighted piece. (I haven't printed the back part of the rack connector yet due to some work commitments with my machine and not being happy with its current state)
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bb883f3b.jpg

Coin Series - Poker/Chess Pieces:
I like iconography and appreciate good graphic design and art, especially from video games! I thought it would be cool to print a set of 5cmx5cmm study coin pieces.

I know for a fact we have splinter cell fans at the dojo! :D I'm sure you'll recognise that this is from SC Blacklist (the icons for each of the distinctive playstyles: ghost, panther, assault). Printed with transparent filament to give it a cool camo/armour effect. Been thinking to paint the middle icons gold)
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bc2d1ade.jpg
And a set I've very much been wanting to make, Valkyria Chronicles wooooh!!!1 Again, I just need to sand+paint the inner icon.
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bb20fdc0.jpg

I also produced two more wooden plaque engravings for my collection from stratch (only references): one based on a movie nobody's heard of, the other based on Asura's Wrath.
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bc5b8e6d.jpg

And finally, I produced some graphic design art yesterday for kazuma kiryu called 'the beast is unleashed' to covey his inner dragon spirit in a very altered beast/Bill Bixby sort of way. I hope to make an engraving of this as well! :-)
https://i.imgsafe.org/11bb066bbc.jpg

And that about wraps the month! Thank you for viewing, hope you enjoyed the journey, I knowthere is a distinct lack of shenmue this month but after i lost the files to my previous shenmue project I did loose a bit of steam in the stort term. I hope to pursue and complete it by the end of Feb but we shall see how things turn out. 'Please be excited' for the end of February, hopefully it will bring many new and interesting stuff. Hope by that time, we do get an juicy update for Shenmue 3! Thoughts? Love and Respect everyone! :-)

UPDATE: Apologies for the broken image links. Google, you've failed me!
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Part Three! YS Interview + images [DenFamiNicoGamer 26 D

Loved reading it Switch! Thank you so much for this!

by FlagshipFighter
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

celsowm wrote:
Can we imagine those kind of reactions:

phpBB [video]

oh my gosh I'm crying :lol: I've not seen that and i can honestly watch it forever, great share! :king:
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hmmm, seems the pieces are coming together, I'm going to keep my wits together like you lot in case this doesn't work out (i was burned pretty hard by that sega exec guy from 2012 about the shenmue/soa xbla port lol), but man i can't help but feel excited about this, this is great news! I would love to see what shenmue would look like now...
In fairness to the SEGA PR guy, it seems people misread what he was actually saying in that interview.

He was talking about what fans would ask for next, not what is coming next, but he muddled the messaging.

Yeah in retrospect I do agree with you, it seems like he really buckled under pressure his wording. It was a different era mind you, I imagine I exploded back then just because for shenmue to get any recognition (from anyone!) back then was spectacular in itself. Knowing less about the industry too, I assumed anything said from him reflected sega's true motive and give more weight to all the journalism/articles out there at the time would've resulted in a comeback. I remember lots of my favourite franchises like street fighter, mortal kombat, monkey island etc were getting reboots too. I kinda regret not buying jet set radio on day 1 in retrospect too :p but ohhh well, here we are, and if this shenmue hd is a thing, i'm going to buy the crap out of it!
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hmmm, seems the pieces are coming together, I'm going to keep my wits together like you lot in case this doesn't work out (i was burned pretty hard by that sega exec guy from 2012 about the shenmue/soa xbla port lol), but man i can't help but feel excited about this, this is great news! I would love to see what shenmue would look like now...

http://i.imgur.com/gYIORyE.gif

Please though, 1080p widescreen, Jap+Eng Voice options, (achievements/trophies are mandatory anyway)

Physical release would be cool. less pop-in+faster loading (if possible). bonus features would be cool. again, wishful thinking but shenmue saturn would be hype. in-game brands are a acceptable loss for me.

sorry I'm already jumping the gun i'm trying to tell my heart to stop oh my gosh *collapses, starts foaming from mouth*
by FlagshipFighter
Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

Well, we are rapidly approaching mid-March. Soon, we will all be clinging to hope of a Match update as we head into April.

To me, the biggest sign of a delay was when someone(forget who) said the SB could run to the end of the year. I don't see any reason it could feasibly do that unless a delay was imminent.

To me it looked as if Suzuki-san didn't have the right staff/talent at the time he needed it, whether it was a lack of UE4-equipped staff or an unforeseen circumstance, as the recruiting process would (naturally) create some setbacks to his original goal. (On this subject, does anybody know if those positions at YS.net were filled or are they still open?)

However, I do want to shed light on how I interpret Yu's work ethic: Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm (pretty sure) I read somewhere shortly after the Shenmue 3 was funded that Yu-san found it quite daunting to share work-in-progress projects for reasons relating to scrutiny and favouring a more organic process with his dev team rather than one that is completely driven by player-feedback and iteration. After all, he's adopted a very versatile project management system (agile) which is often not been popularised or designed for game development in mind. So, considering all this and that he is most comfortable to doing things the same way that he did during the sega-hardware era, I really think that this is his strength here and what's best for the game.

Sure, I get the opinion on engaging in light banter on month's where they don't have updates or have a community forum of their own with the devs on it, I do enjoy that from other KS projects and all that's good but I think things like that reflect the personality/ethos of the company and benefit smaller scale projects more. As Peter mentioned prior, it's definitely not straight forward for them to do that as they have to go through AJ etc. Obviously if there is any concern I do think it's important for them to be transparent about it (like Doublefine was) but we also have to be prepared to give them some breathing room, however long that may be. Personally if I was Yu I'd be like "Thx everyone but stfu now i got work to do please give me some time!" xD but I'm sure it's difficult for them to communicate that as plans change. After all, Shenmue 3 is probably the most ambitious crowd-funded game project seen so far.

With Shenmue 3, I think that silence is golden and I look forward to whenever Yu-san decides to splash it all, E3 or otherwise. I'm not sure about everyone else here, but my attention has leaned more towards how/if sega will be handling the shenmue hd ports, it's still difficult to imagine what they'll be like running on current gen hardware/pc's, I genuinely think I'd cry seeing that announcement.

And I agree with you @Spags , I know that they have a bunch of surprises we haven't seen yet, but especially with how game marketing is done today I definitely think it wouldn't have been announced yet.
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: what resolution will you play shenmue 3

SledgeNE wrote:1280x720 is enough for me. ;-)

Screw that I'm going all out and force cropping to 4:3 and 480p via VGA on an old dell CRT monitor for the truest Shenmue experience!

Any updates for the game will be fed through a 56k modem because I'm the real Sega OG
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

Tangent: this whole story reminds me of a tale I was taught as a designer. A EU car manufacturer (I've forgotten which one) consulted with a product firm to design a car cd/stereo unit following their guidelines verbatim. The design firm agreed to produce it as best as they could in order to prevent that contract going to competitors.

Through lots of great research, they actually built a stereo system that was smaller, better with more features, more power efficient and cost-effective (cheaper). They struck gold and the head of the design firm was so happy he green-lit it.

However, once the car manufacturer saw what they produced, they were like "wtf, this isn't what I asked for!" and they refused to purchase all the units that were produced.

Granted, this was in the late 90'-/early 00's and design communication has changed rapidly (it's better and yet somewhat worse now lol) but still there's an important lesson to be learned in that that I think pertains to shenmue on the switch. It just isn't a priority. Most firms would now collapse over good intentions like that sadly.

by FlagshipFighter
Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

Thanks for sharing this OP. I like the photoshop render of the controllers! It's great to hear the enthusiasm that comes from different communities, the Switch community sound really passionate for this to happen. The idea for this port has been perusing in my head since that awesome 'Snake Pass' game trailer.

Sadly, I'm going for have to agree with the others here, not with the intention of supporting the switch, but for the sake of YS.net not retreading the same pitfalls as other kickstarter devs (like comcept) who over-promised with really ambitious stretch goals that included ports which ended up making the end game suffer more as a result.

Even if it does just take a week or two (like it did for Snake Pass) I would rather YS.net spend those two weeks of development, polish or preparation for launch.

Just so you know, this is coming from someone who only owns an xbone to play current gen games atm! As much as I'd like to see a port for it on that (or heck scorpio compatibility) I would always prefer they deliver exactly what they envision to accomplish really well over promising more when it isn't a priority. I'm planning to buy a PS4 for this game so I can play in an environment familiar to the dreamcast. It would be cool to see xbox one and switch ports after launch though. Going through a scenario similar to mighty no. 9 would be really painful if it were to ever happen... :-/

by FlagshipFighter
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

Just revisiting Yakuza 4 for some sidequests today and I was laughing my ass off when I stumbled across this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170321/6fd7abc626a950a2b9a7028ff9f3d3b1.jpg

A Shenmue reference?! I had no idea about this if true! Kazuma is reading the cover of a porno-dvd that some ex-yakuza scrubs gave him (to which he reads what's shown in the above image). Oh devs, thank you for not forgetting your roots...

Really looking forward to getting a ps4 and playing Yakuza 0 in a couple of months from now.
by FlagshipFighter
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic