Search found 7 matches

Return

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

Some feedback from your article on Facebook:

Cory McDonald: Absolutely wonderful....this guy gets what made Shenmue such a great game...and a classic.

Paul Smith: I mean sure some people do hate this game,I can understand where their coming from,But to me its a Classic,I just wish that Sega will finally give YU the Green Light to finally make Shenmue 3.I truly believe that if it was released on the Ps3 & all the other Consoles,That it will sell Great!I mean not too many people had a Dreamcast or a regular Xbox,But Most people today either have a Ps3,360 or both like i do

Matt Oliver: Such a great article. The potential is there this generation if they market n promote properly. The HD releases are are start. Hell who apart from hardcore gamers had heard of nights into dreams?? That got a remake. More people know what shenmue is
by Ziming
Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Never Forget About Shenmue

This sentence:

It’s 10pm, and Ryo is walking home, crunching through the freshly laid snow after taking the bus back to town from work.

Is mindblowing.

It seems so 'un-gameish' and yet it is those exact moments why we love Shenmue. The simple essence of walking home in a videogame (from work no less!!!) is mindblowing. Every Night, As we pass by the neon lit arcade, the sushi bar on the left and the wintery park on the right - Those numbing walks home are what bind us to the fiction and immerse us even further.

magical memories. that we all share
by Luvly KM
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue retrospective

whilst i liked the other one very much.. It isn't as sharp, the first few paragraphs are dulled with platitudes you see in many articles. Shenmue is this, Shenmue is that. It bogs down the message but I don't want to be too critical as the underlining essence is great.
by Luvly KM
Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Quite a good article. We've been lucky to have two very good retrospectives lately :)

Roll on the Shenmue 2 retrospectives I say. There never were enough (and can never be enough) retrospective's on Muey 2 :)
by mue 26
Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.

This. I preferred the Iamnotabot's one too. The EG one definitely comes across as a lot more self conscious and forced, almost pretentious at times. It may please a faux-arty/intellectual gamer more, but as you rightly pointed out it's nowhere near natural or impassioned as Bot's, and most importantly, it doesn't really capture the heart of Shenmue as well. I got a bit annoyed of the EG guy constantly describing Yokosuka as "dull", I mean yeah sure there are a lot of mundane elements about it, but he seemed to almost completely ignore the wildly colourful, flamboyant and mystic side of Yokosuka. What about the vivid and rich colours, what about Tom with his dancing dreads and hotdogs, what about the crazy guy with the pompadour, what about the trip to the secret basement at the Hazuki dojo? He even claims the dub is disconnected and detached, well yeah Ryo is, but what about the rest of the delightfully campy dub? The appeal of Shenmue for many was as much it's flamboyance as it's grounded nature, and the author definitely seemed to dismiss this flamboyance. It would have given me the wrong idea about the game if I had read this before playing the it. And yeah, you'd wonder why the author wanted to go to travel Yokosuka in the first place.

I did still enjoy reading though, but I liked Bot's one better too.
by mue 26
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hear you on that. Perhaps I was too all-encompassing in my approach, but I wanted to appeal even to the uninitiated (Newb Review) - in that even if the essence of Shenmue doesn't impress them, I wanted for them to at least appreciate the game for its superficial accolades, while engaging fans at the same time. Not easy.

This will not be an issue in my Shenmue II write-up, as I now have that out of the way.

Perhaps i was being critical because i know how hard it is to write about Shenmue. Talking about all the crucial nuances which make it what it is: a thousand words can disappear in a flash. I bet you deleted just as many notes and paragraphs as there was published :] all equally important to the essence of Shenmue
by Luvly KM
Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic