Search found 69 matches

Return

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

CodingGenesis wrote: Quick question: When will the conferences start today? I have no idea and I am kinda busy the whole day, but would like to get a glimpse of the conferences whenever possible. Somebody care to give me a quick overview?

http://www.e3countdown.com/
by Giorgio
Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

...there are not more people like myself who are beginning to feel disenfranchised with the industry.

I'm yet to buy a 'next-gen' console and wont until I see a game that warrants me purchasing one.

I'm in the same boat. I've definitely played a few really good games on the now last-gen but I agree the industry is going in directions I don't care about, so I find myself in the unheard minority, which is sad because video games have been such a big part of my life since I was about 5. I like a good FPS from time to time but I don't want every video game I play to be a FPS. And I don't typically like racing games or sports games, so those are of little-to-no interest to me. There are a few future games that look interesting but not enough to justify dropping $300-$400 to play. I guess I'll be playing Scumbag Steve and asking my friends if I can borrow their X1 or PS4.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I doubt it's large enough to make Shenmue 3 a viable financial risk.

The reason that Shenmue failed to turn a profit for Sega had nothing to do with it's budget and everything to do with the limitations of the Dreamcast.

Shenmue sold over 1.2m copies on a console which sold little over 10m units. That equates to more than 10% of Dreamcast owners purchasing the game. Had the game been released on a more successful consoles it could have potentially broken records.

Let's say, for example, that Shenmue had been a launch title on the PS2 instead of a Dreamcast game. The PS2 sold over 155m units over it's lifespan and so taking our 12% sales per console figure we're looking at around 18.6m copies sold - which would have beaten GTA San Andreas' 17.33m sales and made it the best selling game on the PS2 (Considering GTA SA was the sixth game in a hugely successful franchise - that's pretty damn impressive for an new ip). Add in the fact that the better launch games tend to get a boost in sales due to the limited variety available at launch as well as the exponential growth in sales through word of mouth - and Shenmue could have easily sold 20m+ units on PS2.

Had it not been released on a dying/dead console (or not released at all in the case of the US) I've no doubt Shenmue 2 would have outsold the original due to several areas being drastically improved (the GTA series has shown a steady increase in sales per release as gameplay has improved) and so it's entirely possible that the games would have clocked in 45m+ sales which would have equated to about $1 development and marketing costs per copy sold and in turn - HUGE profits.

Of course this is all hypothetical and there are plenty of arguments to be made and flaws in my logic - but I'm positive that had it been available to a wider audience rather than just Dreamcast owners - Shenmue would have been a commercial success (at least 18m copies between the two games). Given the capability of modern consoles, the drive and passion of Yu Suziki and the innovative nature of the series - a reboot would be hugely successful (unless it's on the Wii U, of course).
by tomboz
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah it's easy for the doubters because we've got no concrete evidence and it's somehow cool to be stoic and deny dreams. But the second an announcement is made all the skeptics will be shouting "Shaaaamuuuuu treeeeeee" like the rest of us. We just have to be there with a big piece of humble pie to shove down their throats like we've ate at every major video game convention for the past 10 years. Just let us be hopeful. We're adults, we can take the disappointment.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CodingGenesis wrote: You've made my day! :D

I hope sony will make both our days later.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Cinematic Wallpaper Packs and More

I made this just now. I didn't feel the need to make a whole new thread for this. If you wanna add this image up there I have no issue with it.

by Wuyring Ren
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's ok those were mostly tears of joy. Those words bring back a lot of memories and that was awesomely fitting :)
by SnowyHarbor
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I like the idea of #whywontyoumakeShenmue3

We need to stop requesting and start demanding answers.
by elfshadowreaper
Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official E3 2014 Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_cY_miDxo

Trailer isn't for a game, but rather the R&C movie coming out next year. Can't wait. That's one I'll definitely storm the theaters for.
Game-wise, Insomniac announced that they're now working on a Ratchet & Clank for PS4... but that it's a revamp, one set to match up with the revised origin story of the movie.
The movie looks great, so I'm not too worried about it, but still... what happens to all the progress they made, story-wise, in the games themselves? Are they just going to forget about everything that's come before and start anew?
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the idea. They did some really great things over the past generation in expanding R&C's universe and story presentation, and I've loved every bit of it.
I'll still stick with the series, because obviously they aren't departing from the established style of it, but just forgetting about Nefarious, the protopets, the Dreadzone, the Cragmites, Azimuth, and everything else that's happened just seems so... wasteful.
by OL
Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dead Rising 3: Super Ultra Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α

http://i.imgur.com/TlHlMA6.jpg

Picked this up after Microsoft's E-3 conference as it was made available immediately. The homage is unreal, this feel like old school Capcom at it's finest. It turns Dead Rising 3 into a colorful cel-shaded arcade game and a fun one at that, especially with friends. Lollipop Chainsaw immediately comes to mind, it's practically an extension.

Oh and Reginaaaaaaaaa!
by Yama
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue HD: Attacking Sega with it now (prefab email inside)

Shenmue 3's KS campaign will finish today (tomorrow for Europe, Africa and Asia). It will be the most-funded video game ever on Kickstarter, perhaps even the first video game to surpass the $6 million mark and for that reason Shenmue 3 will be all over the headlines of world wide gaming media once again.

So here's what I thought. With this hype around Shenmue 3 in our sails, now is the perfect time to let Sega know, we want those Shenmue 1 and 2 ports! I've written up a text which I have sent to Sega. If you don't want to write your own email to Sega about S1 and 2 HD, please take the time to copy and paste my text and send it to them. It just takes 3 steps which can be done in less than a minute:

1. Go to Sega's customer support form: https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/requests/new
(Since I am in Europe, I went through Sega's UK branch website which is in charge of European markets, but it let's you choose the region you are in, even North America, South America, Asia and so on)

2. Fill in your email address, the platform (PC or PS4), etc.

3. Copy and paste the text below into it (or write your own) and send it off to Sega.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Today, Shenmue 3 broke the all-time funding record in the video game category on Kickstarter. See the Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Many Sega fans, to this day, consider Shenmue not only the greatest Sega franchise ever to be created but the greatest franchise ever. Shenmue 3 is scheduled to come to PS4 and PC in 2017.

Your CEO, Mr. Hajime Satomi talked about "trying to win back back fans' trust" in last week's Famitsu interview. Starting with HD ports of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 for PS4 and PC would be a great way to do that. The games' resolution would just have to be uspscaled and made widescreen. Other than that, not much would have to be done. Maybe some minor additions like a waiting option for Shenmue 1. Keeping in touch with YS Net who are currently developing Shenmue 3 and making the Shenmue 1 and 2 HD port's save state compatible with Shenmue 3 would be the icing on the cake.

Tens of thousands or perhaps even hundreds of thousands of old fans would come running back to Sega for that port. The strength of the Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 has shown that the appetite for Shenmue games is stronger than ever. This can also be seen on eBay where Shenmue merchandise and games are fetching above their original retail value! Creating HD ports would be not only a popular decision with the fans it would also be highly profitable as well.

Moreover, Shenmue 3, even though it is not going to be a Sega game, is still Sega's IP which they licensed to YS Net. Throughout the last four weeks, Shenmue 3 has repeatedly been making headlines in gaming media all over the world and even made it into the Guiness Book of Records. I think it would be a big image boost for Sega to make those Shenmue 1 and 2 ports and have their name associated with Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 and the sensation it has stirred. Making those ports would get Sega positive headlines all over the world and it would be seen as something they have done for their fans.

Please, ladies and gentlemen, seize this chance and bring back Sega's old glory!

Sincerely,

Please note: I am not a native speaker of English. Thanks to Benwah for proofreading! Also it might help if you take the time to write your own text as they might see it as some kind of spam if everybody uses the same text. If you don't have time for that, you are of course very welcome to use the above text.

And yeah, I got a bit sentimental with the text, but don't blame me. It's Shenmue. :D
by Hyo Razuki
Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Blow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

If everybody who pledged just upped their pledge by an additional $6 today, we would easily make the $6m.

Please think about it, everyone! Your $6 for Shenmue's $6 million.
by Hyo Razuki
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanking the dojo and it's members

Hello.
I am a new member to the dojo, pleased to meet you all. I finally decided to create an account given the recent events (shenmue 3 existing). Although i never registered i have been visiting the dojo over the years in order to remind myself that i wasn't alone in loving this game.
Like many others, i had given up hope of ever playing any new shenmue game, but you guys kept the hope alive and maintained your commitment to it.
Thank you, it's because of you that the kickstarter exists, it's because of you that the story can continue.

May the dojo live forever.

Sorry if the texts has any mistakes in spelling or grammar, being portuguese, english is my second language.
by zema
Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

I liked the training in S1. And I also liked how long it took to master moves. :oops:
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The miracle of Shenmue III

I was just pondering this a bit, and I thought it might be fun to look at all the borderline-miraculous circumstances that coalesced to bring us the success we just had on Kickstarter and the resurrection of this franchise from seeming oblivion. In all seriousness, some pretty remarkable things had to happen to get us to this day. And some pretty amazing coincidences as well.

Firstly, and most importantly of all of course, the undying passion that the fans have kept alight for far longer than most would have for any other IP. I mean when you really look at it: 14 years. That's the difference between being 16 years old and 30 years old. That's the difference between high school and being a 30-something adult with children. How many people hold on to the love of something that long? Especially something that wasn't exactly a raving mainstream success?

It's not like it's a mainstream, popular thing to be a Shenmue fan in 2015 (well... it might become one now of course!) It's not like we're constantly reminded of it or get it reinforced by the media or our peers (except in communities like this one.) No, it has been entirely up to us to grit our teeth and slog through the years, carrying a seemingly futile torch for this video game. That we did that is remarkable!

Secondly, the length of time itself. How many other examples are there of ANYTHING this old in entertainment years (entertainment properties age fast) that get resurrected? I can think of only a rare handful, all of which were far more popular than Shenmue. Star Trek. Star Wars. X-Files. And those all had corporate backing. They weren't independent affairs, and they had massive media exposure and vast audiences. That people are even still TALKING about Shenmue, let alone planning to bring it back today is just astounding.

Thirdly, the many, many times Yu tried to get the game - or something Shenmue related (Shenmue Online, Shenmue City, etc.) - made, but couldn't get things off the ground. Normally when a creative force of his caliber and renown tries so many times to do something and they can't, they go on to something else. They don't doggedly hold onto a single-minded determination to get that one thing made for over a decade. Granted he did some mobile stuff, but by and large, his focus has been Shenmue. That he finally succeeded is miraculous in its own right.

Fourthly, fans petitioning Sony at just the right time. Sony's "building the list" initiative led to people speaking up and seizing the opportunity to try to get Shenmue noticed by a big company again, in some way, shape, or form. That in and of itself isn't that surprising. But what's amazing is that Yu had been considering Kickstarter for a few years, and seriously investigating the possibility of getting the game done that way. He said repeatedly that the game needed "the right opportunity" for it to work out. It was the timing of fans petitioning Sony, Sony reaching out to him, and E3 allowing him a soap box, that FINALLY provided that "right opportunity" and the rallying cry that could finally give the game a real chance of securing the funding it needed.

Fifthly, Sega allowing Yu the right to make Shenmue 3. They didn't have to do this. There are other examples of companies asking IP holders to let them do something like this, and them saying no, and sitting on said IPs and doing nothing with them. Sega has been pretty lax about letting people at least try, though. Sega's not perfect and hasn't exactly ingratiated themselves to gamers in recent years, but this one aspect of their behavior is really cool and should be applauded. Especially since, other than any potential good PR or future Shenmue related releases they can use this as a springboard for, they have no financial stake in doing it that we know if.

Sixthly, the PS4 physical copies through Kickstarter. Another example of a big company doing something they didn't have to do. Sony isn't going to see a dime for those physical copies, and we know they're the ones handling publishing (presumably PS4 porting) so in short, they're throwing money away with each of those physical copies. Just to help the Kickstarter out. Again, yes, admittedly, this gives them good PR, and the more successful the game is the more money they theoretically stand to make once its released on PS4, but it's still a risk and something they didn't have to do. It's pretty respectable.

Penultimately, breaking the record for most funded game precisely when we did. We broke the record just before dawn on the west coast of the U.S., where many major gaming sites and companies have their headquarters. Arguably, this is what gave us a huge final wave of publicity that launched the surge we witnessed throughout the final day. We were always going to exceed what we had made the previous day, but over 900K? That's publicity in my opinion. That it worked out precisely when it did is amazing indeed.

And last but not least... we finished on 6.333 I mean... REALLY? Seriously! Shenmue 3. 3rd of the month #SaveShenmue campaign. 30 on the 3rd. And we finish on 6.333? Tell me that's not the least bit improbable! Lol.

In short... the journey to Shenmue 3's Kickstarter success has been amazing, especially considering all the obstacles it had to overcome. I consider it a literal miracle, and a once in a lifetime event that I will remember forever. Seriously, this is the stuff of legends. Things simply don't ever work out this way in life. That they did for Shenmue 3, is kismet.
by Anonymous81
Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter Ends At $6,333,295; 69,320 Backe

This number, this amount of money couldn't have ended up better. Higher yes, but it's such a magic number with the three threes in the middle, so meaningful for Shenmue III. I love it!

Now we all gotta take some time to breathe through. What a month it has been. Very enjoyable but stressful too.
by BlueMue
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Advanced Free Battle!

I also would not like the fighting system to stray that far off the Virtua Fighter feel the original games had. After all, it is the spiritual successor of VF RPG we are talking about.

That said, I would like to see the dodge and evasion system improved a bit. See Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 as examples of what could be done with that.

Also, the throw system could use some work. Yakuza is a good example of what could be done there.

Furthermore, they could incorporate the environment a little bit more into the fights. Of course, Yu cannot go all Yakuza here. Ryo is no badass Kazuma Kiryu who throws people on bonfires or stabs them with knives. But something like kicking the opponent down some stairs or smashing a table/chair when they crash into it or Ryo gets kicked into the chair, etc. could be done.

With all that in mind however, I would have declared you crazy if you would have told me a week ago, we were going to make that stretch goal. So the bottom line is. I'm super happy about and can't wait to find out what "Advanced Free Battle" will be like.

Because one thing is for certain. As much as I love QTEs: Free Battle > QTE Battle.
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spending 5 hours just to fully master 1 move should of been illegal.

Writing "should of" instead of "should have" is what should be illegal.
by Three Blades
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Advanced Free Battle = Breast Physics

No offense, but I hope we will never EVER see anything DOA style in Shenmue. :) Counter system is OK, VF has that too but Breast Physics stuff... I have always viewed DOA as a cheap VF knock-off which basically uses boobies to cover up its inferior fighting mechanics. I have to admit this kind of thing would work on my 14 year-old self :lol: but let's please keep this kind of DOA-feeling out of Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Forbes claim $20 million is already secured privately

So who was that private party? A company? A billionaire-son Shenmue fan spending a month's worth of his pocket money?

Also, Adam Boyes has made it very clear many times already. If the KS had not reached $2M, S3 would not have been made.

We must not let any speculation deceive us.
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Forbes claim $20 million is already secured privately

Bloodstained received 90% of its funds through private investment and openly admitted after the campaign ended that the Kickstarter was used to gauge interest, so I don't know why Shenmue 3 has gotten so much shit for it (especially as no one actually knows any of the facts and much of the speculation has been proven false).

But still, I would love if we got a lot of private investment. If this 20m is true, I will be happy. It would be awesome if it secured even more investment now that the KS was such a success and a record breaker.
by Reprise
Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No need for infighting, guys. We really need some more girl gamers on this forum to break up the high testosterone level on here. :lmfao:
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Three Blades wrote:Friends?

Friends.
by yugo
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't get me wrong, DOA is kind of fun, but why use the copy if you have the creator of the original as your director and producer?

Haha, I was just joking about DOA. :) I can't remember a fight against any women in Shenmue anyway. There was Yuan, but as you know it depends which version of Shenmue you were playing. That would leave Dou Niu's breast physics.

You forgot about the fights against Eileen and Izumi in Pine Arcade?

But you're right, those are at least some solid Cs Dou Niu's got! :mrgreen:

I think the advanced AI fighting stretch goal could mean that when you are fighting alongside an AI character (like the 70 man battle in S1) you might be able to give tactical commands to the AI fighter. You know, something like: "Stay on the defensive", "Try to use punches/kicks/throws", "Cover me" and so on. That would be awesome.

Also yes, throws can go a long way when fighting multiple opponents. I've always used them a lot in those situations and would love to see that part of the fighting mechanics taken to the next level.
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic