Search found 145 matches

Return

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Agreed- this comes up less than the Timex watch so it's very hard to find. Still looking to find one myself.

Great pickup.
by Mitsuzuki
Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Niao Sun/Chonghua/Tyojun-new description translated by K

Niao Sun VMU character profile image and animated gif from Shenmue.

by Ziming
Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Awesome collection! Your turn, Peter...update those photos!
by Supa
Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lol I have no more additions to what I have. I've been quite content for some time now due to finances etc. But there's still plenty I could buy, such as the F4F statutes and stuff. But I'm travelling again at the end of the year and stuff so I'm in no real position to begin adding again.
by Peter
Fri May 01, 2015 5:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amazing collection Aizen!
by Axm
Fri May 01, 2015 9:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Grats man. Ya I love mine aswell and appriciate I had a chance to grab it. Its turned into one of the more rare items out there.
by Axm
Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It was me that found it. Just saying like...
by Peter
Wed May 20, 2015 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You ate very welcome sir. Just glad you were able to get it and add another item to the awesome collection :nice!:
by Peter
Wed May 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you donated to help Shenmue 3. Please post here.

HazDS wrote: Maybe @Yama could add a custom profile field for people to put how much they pledged if people want to share? Just an idea :D

sounds awesome :rotflmao:
by urbanveteran
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Community

http://i.imgur.com/GvJ3kDW.png

During this very important time for Shenmue I'd like to point out that it was the community as a whole that made Shenmue III entirely possible. Due to the efforts seen across multiple community outlets we are closing in on something we've all desired for over a decade. The Shenmue community is as powerful as it is passionate, backing up our words with a record breaking pledge. It is because of this we'd like to focus on bringing our efforts together as one. We may all have our preferred outlet for information or discussion, but that shouldn't create a barrier. Instead it provides us with options and multiple targets for important campaigns, discussion and more.

We're proud to support our friends at Team Yu and Shenmue 500K, who have both been incredibly vocal towards the resurgence of Shenmue. Through combined efforts, we look to make the message of #SaveShenmue and other campaigns louder and clearer than ever before. Look forward to hearing more about any future community events right here in our news section direct from the source. In addition, you may visit either outlet by clicking the corresponding links right on our index page. The same love and care will be given in return to any important Dojo created content that need be widespread.

Let's come together as one and continue to save #SaveShenmue!

Team Yu | Shenmue 500K
by Yama
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

A lot !

Kept learning japanese, had the chance to live in Japan for a year and half, got married to a japanese woman and met Yu Suzuki !

I never gave up on Shenmue during the past 14 years and my passion is still the same, if not stronger than ever before. Also met Takenobu Mitsuyoushi, Naoki Yoshida etc, so I've really enjoyed everything I've went through.

I am looking forward awesome events and definetly going to try my best to lead a beautiful life.

Glad there's still so many fans out there and can't wait for all of us to share our feelings about Shenmue III once we get the chance to play it !

Wow man, not only you had to meet Suzuki-san but Takenobu Mitsuyoshi! Now if thats not absolute awesome i dont know what else might be! I tought i was the only person on earth that enjoyed his music.
by Fei Fong Wong
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Live on Nico Nico Douga 07/12

Yu Suzuki interview on NicoNico LIVE transcription [2015.07.12]:
(Sorry if there are some english mistakes)

J: Journalist
Y: Yu Suzuki

J: Here’s Yu Suzuki-san, I think he doesn't need introductions. We are still surprised for Shenmue 3 announcement.

Y: Yeah… We waited for 14 years and are very, very excited. Years passed by, and it doesn’t matter where I go, it was always the same, where’s Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… And I just recently watched a video from the grateful fans all over the world; it was really moving for me, it’s difficult to explain with words.

J: Shenmue was a true revolution for the time, but nowadays it will probably be more difficult to surprise gamers like you did all this years ago right? Please tell us about your origins as a game designer.

Y: At first I didn’t want to become a game designer you know, I wanted to be musician, even dentist… But especially musician, I was very interested in music stuff back then, since very early school days. I even had interest on foreign languages (not Asian languages, written in horizontal, like English). Then I went to different interviews, one of those interviews was in SEGA for programmer stuff, I thought it was very interesting and then I decided that’s what I wanted to do with my life (game designer).

J: So let’s check this slide with different games Yu Suzuki-san created over the years. So incredible names come out, Outrun, Virtua Racing… and so on. We can see back then a lot of them were arcade games right? (like the ones you can find inside Game You/Shenmue Arcade Center)

Y: Yes, back then arcades were very successful, a lot of them were later adapted to consoles and even to Shenmue, including the boxing one.

J: Yeah… Shenmue Arcade Center was truly incredible; we could play games like Outrun, etc., what were you thinking for creating something like that?

Y: Well, back then arcades in Japan had a very negative image on the society, like the kind of dark place where delinquents would meet, bike gangsters and bad guys smoking… I wanted to change that, and at the same time create a new style of gaming. I wanted arcades to be considered like treasures, like Disneyland.

I: Well, you created something truly wonderful! It was a place even girls could enjoy… (Kicked from NicoNico, don’t know if he was referring to real Arcade Centers or Game You)

Y: (…) the evolution of game engines, CG, pseudo-3D sprite-scaling with games like Hang On or Virtua Racing, and then real 3D boards!, full 3D games like Virtua Fighter, back then it was something unbelievable you know. When we were studying on school we were always thinking how awesome it would be to have 3D games. Hang On was kind of 3D, pseudo simulated 3D, and then we created different patterns using different 3D effects, it was very curious, for some time we were creating fully 3D games inside our heads, but the final product was pseudo-3D, not real 3D. Games like Virtua Racing used indirect 3D effects, then for Virtua Fighter we created polygons full contact, full 3D games at last.

J: And all of this starting from scratch right?

Y: Yeah, back then everything was like that, from scratch, we created everything starting from 0, there was no other way.

J: Then with Shenmue you created not only a stage or racing track but a full 3D city to explore.

Y: Normally at first you have to design your initial planning for the game, so you think about the human body, and if it’s a soccer game 11 players per team, and things like that. But with Shenmue we had to think from the beginning on creating a full living city. That was something I wanted to achieve from a long time ago.

J: A game that feels like a full experience right? You created a new genre by the time, it was called FREE, some kind of special RPG style genre?

Y: Well, yes it was an RPG, but I don’t like to call Shenmue like that, it was something completely new, an adventure you needed to experience by yourself. So we decided to call it like that, FREE, a new genre to help people easily understand Shenmue was something completely new, nothing like they knew by then.

J: Let’s talk about Shenmue 3, meetings, reasons, the timing needed to make Shenmue 3 come true…

Y: It’s been already 14 years since Shenmue 2, it was a really long journey. Wherever I go it was always the same, Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3… Then by march/april, is Shenmue 3 finally coming? They wanted Shenmue much more than any other of my previous games, like Virtua Fighter, and I really thought one million possibilities to make it true, there were a lot of things to deal with, budget problems, licensing problems with SEGA, etc. After continuously thinking for 14 years then I decided to make it via Kickstarter, that way we could get the budget we needed via crowdfunding and finally create Shenmue 3.

J: I see (sorry). And fans from all around the world joined forces to become this project a reality. During E3 Shenmue 3 announcement there were some unbelievable reactions don’t you think?

Y: Yes, I couldn’t see that reactions LIVE because I was waiting behind the main stage, and before Shenmue 3 there were some awesome games announcements like Final Fantasy VII, I could hear really big reactions so I was very nervous about Shenmue and how the people would react. But then, it happened, I remember screams all over the place… after Shenmue music started it was like an explosion… It was too much for me, I couldn’t bear it and started to cry backstage.

J: I could imagine Yu’s happiness just by looking at those emotions from all over the world.

Y: Indeed, it was truly awesome. Also, a lot of Shenmue fans from a lot of countries learned a lot from Japan and even started to study japanese and eventually moved to Japan thanks to playing the game. Specially Shenmue II using japanese voices and english subtitles helped foreigners to learn at least some well repeated japanese phrases and expressions. I even know some incredible stories, folks who dreamed to get married in Japan with someone like Nozomi, and eventually they did it! It makes me really happy to hear stories like that.

I: Congratulations for all you’ve achieved during your life Yu Suzuki-san. Now please tell me, what was Shenmue I and II original staff reactions after Shenmue 3 announcement on E3?

Y: They sent me LINE messages like ‘congratulations!!’ or things like that, some of them are living abroad, and they were super excited and relieved for the good news. Also, like I said before recently I saw a 20 minutes video with Shenmue fans from all over the world thanking me for making Shenmue 3, I was very moved by their feelings, it was incredible.

J: It’s unbelievable don’t you think Yu Suzuki-san? What a game can achieve…

Y: Indeed. Maybe it is something you can’t make outside of videogames. It is more than just good graphics or sounds, inside the game you create some kind of bond between the story and the spirit of the player, I think that’s awesome.

J: Let’s talk about the real condition of cities like Yokosuka. Kind of nostalgic feeling don’t you think? How things have changed all over Japan since 1986. Now we have incredible places like Mirai Kan, etc.

Y: Yes, Japan changed in a lot of ways. And let’s not forget Japanese and Asian people have very different beliefs and traditions than the ones from foreigner countries. Probably those differences also helped foreign fans to learn to love Shenmue, trying to understand a country so much different than theirs. Also, internet and technology helped a lot to unify the world and making it easy to understand those differences. Going back to Yokosuka and old Japan, for example if you go back in time 80 years, there are not so many records, and (…) Yokohama and ‘Yoko’ Kanji (??) (Kicked from NicoNico)

J: And you can immortalize the atmosphere of those years inside the game right?

Y: Yes, using 3D and techniques like motion capture we tried to capture and recreate that atmosphere from old times the best we can.

J: No doubt you did it. I think you can really feel the japanese Showa era (1926-1989) inside Shenmue. Please tell us more about your relations with producers and staff before the Shenmue 3 announcement.

(From now on NicoNico started to kick me a lot, not using a premium account + too many viewers…)

Y: With Hirai-san we are wine friends (laughs), and always ended talking about Shenmue no matter the situation. We wanted to make Shenmue 3 from the beginning, and we know now it’s a life time opportunity to finally continue this project and making it come true after all these years.

J: And you reunited all the original Shenmue staff. That’s incredible, I think only someone like Yu-san could achieve something like that. Now, please tell us more about crowdfunding and Kickstarter. Aside from Ys Net almost all the Shenmue 3 budget will be thanks to the fans effort right? Let’s check how it works (slide, lot of explanations, credit card system, different stretch goals, etc.).

Y: There’s still 1 Monaco dinner left (laughs). We are now approaching 5m, and the funds amount will impact directly on the final game. But I want to make the best game possible with the budget we reach. I want to thank every one of you who helped Shenmue 3 coming this far. Shenmue 3 is now true thanks to all of you who never stopped believing and supporting Shenmue. We are creating three big areas inside Shenmue 3 and a lot of features based on our budget. We really want to create an open world game, but that really depends directly on the final budget. We need 10 millions to make it, I know it’s very difficult, but I’m very grateful with Shenmue fans, and now I really believe in miracles, I believe we can make it, together.

J: Also let me add this Yu Suzuki-san, please, try to involve your friends in the project, a lot of people around the world still don’t know about Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter. Yu-san needs 10 million to create the game he has been dreaming since the beginning, so let’s all together make it true. I already pledged! Let’s help him create the Shenmue 3 he dreams of! C’mon, now is our chance!, we are the fans, we are united, we can make this come true (yes, he was really excited at this point of the interview, you can really tell he’s also a big Shenmue fan =) ) Oh, sorry, I think I speaked a little too much. (…) Please tell us more about the game concept; there will be real time system right? And the story? Will it begin just after Shenhua & Ryo event at the cave?

Y: Thank you very much. Yes, Shenhua & Ryo have a very powerful objective in common related to Shenhua’s father past. Finally we can focus on Shenhua’s story and her past, something Shenmue fans were waiting since the original Shenmue. Some things are still being decided right now, but I want to start the game in the beautiful mountains of Guilin in China, and deepen into the relation between Shenhua & Ryo, the free selection system, and the character perspective system. (Kicked from NicoNico) Inside these 3 areas one of them is Baisha, and then Chobu, where I want to make some kind of China sandbox game inside Shenmue 3, an area full of events, quests and possibilities, a sandbox with Shenmue charm, that’s what I’m aiming for. (…) There is a sandbox image like something complicated… This is not the case for Shenmue. If you go back into Shenmue I or Shenmue II the battle system was not a timing technical game like Virtua Fighter, and the player can go through the story with simple mini events like QTE, it’s a game everybody can plan and enjoy. Sandbox? Seems difficult, complicated… But everybody can enjoy Shenmue 3!

J: What about character perspective system?

Y: We can choose our character thanks to the characters system on Shenmue 3, and it’s not only the character, the routes we can follow are also different, and the personality of different characters and their gender will make us choose between different options. At some point you will think “Yeah! That would probably be a man’s choice!”, or the opposite if you’re using a female character. That’s the charming point of this system.

J: So interesting! So many characters and possibilities… Oh, and now Ryo can jump right?

Y: Yeah, and climb mountains.

J: Please tell us more about forklifts (laughs).

Y: Forklifts (laughs). Yeah, everybody asks for it. You know, in the top 3 the most wanted things by Shenmue fans would be, 1st: Story related things, 2nd, Open World doubts, 3rd, forklifts (laughs), in that order. Even I can’t fully understand why it’s so popular! I’m thinking different ways to make them appear on Shenmue 3, but with the present Shenmue 3 scale is not easy to implement. Maybe in Chobu… Chobu is a port town, but it’s still too small to think about forklifts, maybe if we get more budget we can make it true.

J: Something like 5 more millions?

Y: Yes (laughs). I also want to include an Arcade Game Center from 1988, with SEGA games inside, and one of them could be a forklift arcade game invention, I’m also thinking crazy ideas like that (laughs).

J: Awesome! Let’s check some fans questions… Masaya Matsukaze return, yes… (keeps checking…)

Y: (Yu checks fan questions by himself) Chai returning to the game? Yes! Chai appers in Shenmue 3! (laughs).

(Kicked from NicoNico)
Y: One justice (…) Five… (???), a lot of objectives. (Yu then explains more detailed information for Japanese fans about the Kickstarter system, different rewards, the special place in Baisha with Shenmue fans photos, NPC fan based characters that got kicked by Ryo and stuff). (…) I also want to say that people who never got into Shenmue I and II will still be able to fully enjoy Shenmue III, for example using flashbacks to advance in the story, everyone will be able to understand what’s happening and progress into the wonderful world of Shenmue. And this is also very important, we can call Ine-san with Telecom card! (Yu check some comments…), no, she’s not dead! (laughs), but maybe her voice will be a little different. Also, remember that instead of Nozomi you can choose to be with Ine-san or Fuku-san for the gashapon reward! (laughs)

J: Can’t wait for Shenmue 3…

Y: We are doing our best to release the final game by the end of 2017. Finally, let me say Ryo’s aspect will fully change, including his jacket. And please, tell your friends and people you know about Shenmue 3, let’s make the best game together! I’m counting with you, always, thank you very much!
by SquallAdv
Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep donations running after the kickstarter

aizen59 wrote: Seems like we will be able to help Yu Suzuki soon enough through Paypal.

Together, let's create an awesome Shenmue III !

We will. We're gonna make this a full-fledged Shenmue 3.
by Hyo Razuki
Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi everyone!

I've been following this web and forums a long time ago, but I never writed any contribution before... I'm from Barcelona (Catalonia) and on my 34 years old I'm actually feeling like a child trying to manage the excitement for the new Shenmue III !! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Thank you all who helped to make it real trough kickstarter! I'm so glad of my 300€ pledge!! :king:

Well, I think that is the reason I finally decided to post something...
I've seen amazing collections of Shenmue merchandise on this forum that made me sooo jelaous! =D> =D> =D> and I'm very proud of mine and would be great to share it with you!

I don't use to post in forums and I have readed the faqs to try to do it well... sorry if I make something wrong... here we go!!

A general view:
http://i.imgur.com/432vV3O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lNltpeZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Iu7eBRB.jpg

Guides and magazines:
http://i.imgur.com/DrLjP6G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wDPc18r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ww5hWkc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C5cieRn.jpg

Versions of game,OST and others:
http://i.imgur.com/Fb6mECs.jpg

Versions of the movie (official and none, and the gang edition)
http://i.imgur.com/s0zmZsT.jpg

Soundtrack cds, with christmas edition and notebooks:
http://i.imgur.com/prQbNDP.jpg

Some stuff!
http://i.imgur.com/6dPkSKm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LgBQvMP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ehqN64D.jpg

The Wristwatch!!! 8) 8) 8)
http://i.imgur.com/2vr3eXb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FcBoLtb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LPeTq7q.jpg

Great plastic dosiers:
http://i.imgur.com/f5dqpXl.jpg

Fan made!
http://i.imgur.com/1rrNOlI.jpg

I love this!
http://i.imgur.com/VFcZuFH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cIO2tU1.jpg

Phonecards collection!
http://i.imgur.com/sCF20u6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pHimohr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/51MshIO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j9lxtaB.jpg

Cool statues catallogue:
http://i.imgur.com/RsXX89i.jpg

Some advertisings (... ethnic super tanned Ryo??! :roll: )
http://i.imgur.com/wPkEaOr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qoq892E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/73DcCu7.jpg

As you can see, I have some duplicated articles... sometimes I think of sell it throug paypal or something, but I never find enough free time!

Well guys... I hope that you have enjoyed this the same way I've enjoyed watching your collections!!
I know some important stuff is missing (ryo limited statue and forklift sega racing specially for me) but my actual family issues doesn't allow me to spend all the needed money and time... #-o

See you guys! And remember... Keep friends... those you love... close to you...

PD:
Sorry for my errors writting in english...!
by Pol
Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

Thanks for all the support guys. We'll add an FAQ to the main post tonight in order to answer the most common questions.

There are plenty of job roles available. Keep them request coming in.

@Bluemue, @Lan Di-sama, who's Niao Sun???? All i see is a woman in red \:D/

@Axm, I'll pm you about the previous VN

Another significant update on the project, along with the FAQ will be available tonight. Bookmark this page, or make an account on the dojo. Shenmue Gaiden is going to be AMAZING!!!!
by ShenSun
Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Radio Monaco Interview: Cedric Biscay

http://i.imgur.com/M3WWOQs.png

Radio Monaco has interviewed Shibuya Productions president and Shenmue 3 producer, Cedric Biscay.

The interview is entirely in French, but there is a rough English translation available on the Dojo forums, courtesy of community member NeoShredder.

Links & Hashtags: #Shenmue3
Original Article In French | Forum Discussion | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tweetathon & Submit Your Questions for Yu Suzuki

http://s1.postimg.cc/yhs6nlxjj/david_yu_dojo.png

Lasting all day Monday is the #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon, with Shenmue fans gathering to make themselves heard on the 3rd.

As a special part of this event, French super fan De ville David would like to announce an opportunity for the community to utilize that unity, by pooling ideas for an upcoming interview he has scheduled with Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki.

Over to David to explain - in English, French, and Japanese!
by Team Yu
Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Hello guys,

Thanks again for providing so many questions. I've been working on it and It's going well so far. I will keep adding different questions as much as I can and try to give it all my best to make sure you'll be satisfied.

Some questions, even asked differently tend to have the same meaning so I have to cut some parts here and there to make sure It doesn't sounds too repetitive. But combining your questions with mine should result in an interesting interview.

More news asap.

Best regards,

David

Un grand merci aussi pour toutes tes traductions réalisées jusque là. ;)
by Yokosuka
Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome, congratulations!

I would LOVE to know if there is anything he can officially say about Shenmue Online, and if he can discuss any Shenmue III development history prior to Sony/Shibuya/Ys Net.

If he could shed any light on all of the clues pointing to Ziming being a leader of the Chiyoumen, and then finally debunked by himself in your prior interview, that would be great. If you could reference the famous IIx comic strip with Niao Sun and Ziming talking, as well as the Muecas picture of the four leaders, with two completely blacked out, Lan Di in full view, and Niao Sun partially blacked out. The character on the far right looks just like Ziming in the comic strip.

Will there be any chance Guizhang will come back eventually and catch up with Ryo in China like he promised? He is one of my absolute favorite characters.

With regards to Proect Berkley, if he could talk to us about the mysterious old man: https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10898033_10203597606123047_7107137264443224214_n.jpg?oh=637eae2ff881168687af3ee6136c56d1&oe=5653B658

I know he may not even remember just by looking, or maybe this was just a placeholder character, or even his story has been changed/cut. But I still would love to know if we will see some of this stuff in the future.

Or some of these characters: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/history/projectberkley.html

Just to see what he says. Even something like "We'll definitely see the guy with the raised hand soon!" or something would make me giddy.
by Supa
Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With regards to Proect Berkley, if he could talk to us about the mysterious old man: https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10898033_10203597606123047_7107137264443224214_n.jpg?oh=637eae2ff881168687af3ee6136c56d1&oe=5653B658

I know he may not even remember just by looking, or maybe this was just a placeholder character, or even his story has been changed/cut. But I still would love to know if we will see some of this stuff in the future.

http://cdn.staticneo.com/w/shenmue/5/5b/Chiyoumen.jpg Looks similar to the outline of the Chi You Men leader on the left perhaps?

It's surprising find so much of the game had already been completed from the Saturn & Berkley versions compared to the released Dreamcast versions.

Personally I don't mind the mystery, it makes the reveal even more exciting when we experience it in the game.
by fittersau
Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello everyone ! How are you ?

Today, I have something special to announce so I hope you will all take some time to read it. Thanks !

Last year, I had the chance to meet Yu Suzuki and interviewed him regarding Shenmue and Shenmue III . My best pleasure was to share with you all the latest informations I could get and many of you really appreciated my work, or atleast, that's the feeling I was getting from your messages. Never felt so much love and can't thank you enough for that.

During the Kickstarter, I was going to pledge 2000 dollars because that's the maximum I had, but during the last days I've decided to reduce it to 600 dollars. The reason I've reduced my pledge is because I had another project in my head and wanted to get it done for me and for you. And this project was : a new interview with Yu Suzuki !

Yes, since it's official now I can finally announce it : I will meet Yu Suzuki on september in Japan. It wasn't easy to do as I had to cut my pledge, sell some of my rare video games gems in order to gather enough money for the flight and any fees I will have to pay in Japan, but I am glad that it was possible.

Meeting Yu Suzuki once again is something I am really looking forward to. I will bring in my own questions. However, since I've also been doing this for you, I am going to ask YOURS. Of course, I might not be able to ask all of them but as always, I will do my best.

So here we go :

What kind of questions would you like me to ask ?

What are you looking forward ?

Anything that comes through your mind, even if that's not a question, I'll try to turn it into one.

You can either answer directly through comments or you can send your questions to : [email protected]

I cannot provide details about the day of the interview and when it will be published on Shenmue 500k , Shenmue Dojo and Shenmue Master , but whenever I am allowed to do so, you'll be the first to know.

My dream of working as Shenmue III Community Manager is far ahead and It's highly possible that It'll never come true, but that's as far as I am willing to go to show my motivation and how much I am into this to make it happen.

Thanks for your continued support, it helps me a lot.

Best regards,

David

Please ask and advocate for the option to play with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Will it be possible to play the game this way?

Please express to Mr. Suzuki that a huge proportion of fans played Shenmue II this way, preferred it, and want to play Shenmue III this way, and are passionate about this to the extent that they even made a mod for the first Shenmue with JPN audio and English subs. But mods are buggy, and since these are people who've been into Shenmue and waited this long, and the Japanese audio and English subs would be produced anyway, it doesn't hurt to put the option in- the amount of money in filesize it would save not to include audio that has already been recorded that many fans strongly prefer wouldn't be worth how upsetting it would be to fans who have already been waiting over a decade for their game.
by shenmue852
Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I salute you Deville! I'm imagining Fuku San offering you his piggy bank so you can buy that plane ticket ;)

http://lparchive.org/Shenmue/Update%2039/lpshen_39_58.jpg

What I'd be interested to know is will Shenmue 3 differ from Yu's original vision for the game at all? Specifically storywise (e.g. adding or removing characters, story arcs etc.) And if he could elaborate on why if so.

Just curious as 14 years is a long time to be influenced and decide to change things...
by joka
Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats on interviewing Suzuki-san :)

1. I'd like to know how far Shenmue III got into development for the Dreamcast and/or any subsequent consoles over the years. Was he working on it all between the release of Shenmue II DC and Shenmue II Xbox? It's funny how most of the preview images I remember from '98 and '99 ended up being scenes from Shenmue II so we know that was already far into development before the game was split in two and Shenmue I was released.

2. Will the White Leaf and the Mysterious Scroll be in Ryo's inventory in Shenmue III? What about photos of Nozomi, Fangmei and Joy?

3. What is the AI Battling stretch goal? I asked about this and the High Ground Battle System during the 2nd Twitter Q&A and he responded that the latter involved some chain reaction system which put images of rolling boulders or something down hills in my head, but I still don't understand what AI Battling is.

4. Was Sega working on subsequent hardware after the release of the Dreamcast before they decided to become a third-party developer/publisher, and was he involved at all like he was with the development of the Dreamcast? It's standard practice to work on the next console not long after the release of the current one, so I'd be surprised if they didn't look into it in some way.

5. Was Virtua FIghter 3 for Saturn actually completed? I've heard rumours that AM2 ported the game in some fashion to the Saturn before Sega pulled the plug on it and got Genki to do a rush-job port to the Dreamcast.
by Amir
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Had a question for mr Yu Suzuki

"In shenhua a house, there is a painting of some mountains in Guilin, shenhua mentions these mountains are dangerous and no one goes there anymore as they don't return, is there more details on what lies in these mountains?"
by PILMAN
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is it motion capture being used for all animations, including in game chars and npcs?
by murdiaries
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5. Was Virtua FIghter 3 for Saturn actually completed? I've heard rumours that AM2 ported the game in some fashion to the Saturn before Sega pulled the plug on it and got Genki to do a rush-job port to the Dreamcast.

I think this video has some footage at one point. Or a still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

I'll add my own questions for the OP a little later. About to go to work.
by LucBu
Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you for doing this David! I have but one question, but it's for you:

Can you take me along for this interview? 8)

Have a great trip!!!
by sand4fish
Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

These are my questions btw... in case you didn't get my e-mail:

1. Being a big fan of series like Virtua Fighter and OutRun, have you ever considered making another arcade game in the future? If so what game genre (shooter, racing etc) would you like to tackle?

2. In Shenmue 3, one of the new features is the ability to play with multiple characters during a certain scenario. What prompt you to go for such a drastic change, since we always accompanied Shenmue's story only through Ryo's eyes?

3. What FREE combat system have you planned for Shenmue 3? Are we expecting something as deep and complex as Virtua Fighter 5?

4. With the upcoming virtual reality headsets like the Project Morpheus and Oculus Rift, are you happy with the direction the gaming industry is taking? Is there any kind of game you would like to make for such devices?

Thanks again David!!! Hope your dreams come to fruition.
by sand4fish
Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think this video has some footage at one point. Or a still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

I'll add my own questions for the OP a little later. About to go to work.

I've read that those are fakes made by messing around with a Model 3 emulator, don't think any footage got out.

6. What is the music that accompanies the Shenmue Saturn footage? Was it from the Saturn version of the game or was it unused music for the Dreamcast games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCt-TFzuwmw
by Amir
Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope you do become community manager David, I can't imagine anyone else being better suited for the task - you know the 3 most relevant languages and you are a dedicated mega fan. Good Luck!

here are some questions for Yu - i might add more to it later:

-In Shenmue 3 will we still be able to open cupboards and looks through draws?

-In Shennmue 3 will be still be able to pick up many objects and examine them, even if those objects aren’t directly related to the story or quest - like in the previous games?

-Will Shenmue 3 have a proper Virtua Fighter style free-battle system?

-Can you incorporate the Virtua fighter 5 fighting engine and/or animations into Shenmue 3 to save costs?

-Could you clarify your comments about the size of each of the villages. You made a comparison between the size of Dobuita in Shenmue 1 to the size of the locations in Shenmue 3. Will each village have at least the scale and depth of Dobuita from Shenmue 1?
-How big is Choubu by comparison with Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-Does the rapport system imply that the overall plot-line will vary based the players actions? or will the overall plot-line remain the same regardless? For example will having a bad relationship with one of the characters make them turn against you, or remove them for the rest of the story completely?

-Will Shenhua be a regular companion throughout the whole Shenmue 3? i.e. will she actually be walking around with us like in disc 4 of Shenmue 2. And will her company be optional for the player?

-Can you give us any information about how magic is going to be implemented in the future games?
-Can you give us any information about Shenhua’s magical abilities?
-Is Shenhua a reincarnated personality?
-Is Ryo a reincarnated personality?

-Was the Shenmue Online CG movie that depicted Shenhua summoning a Phoenix and battling a huge Dragon (seemingly being controlled by Lan Di) a canonical event to the main series?

-In Shenmue 3 will you be including an option for the player to choose which language dub and subtitle options they prefer?

-If Sega does release HD remastered ports of Shenmue 1+2 will the save transfer system be compatible with Shenmue 3?

-At the end of the Shenmue saga will the player be able to choose which girl Ryo ends up with? :heart: ;-)

Bonus question:
-Any information on Virtua Fighter 6?
by johnvivant
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Please ask and advocate for the option to play with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Will it be possible to play the game this way?

Please express to Mr. Suzuki that a huge proportion of fans played Shenmue II this way, preferred it, and want to play Shenmue III this way, and are passionate about this to the extent that they even made a mod for the first Shenmue with JPN audio and English subs. But mods are buggy, and since these are people who've been into Shenmue and waited this long, and the Japanese audio and English subs would be produced anyway, it doesn't hurt to put the option in- the amount of money in filesize it would save not to include audio that has already been recorded that many fans strongly prefer wouldn't be worth how upsetting it would be to fans who have already been waiting over a decade for their game.

It sucks there are people who generalize the fan base just to get what they want. Sure, there are people who prefer the original dub, but there are also others who prefer to have an English dub, and I am one of them. No point in dramatizing your point by saying he'd upset the fans by not doing it your way. Sheesh.

I also upvote these questions:

What I'd be interested to know is will Shenmue 3 differ from Yu's original vision for the game at all? Specifically storywise (e.g. adding or removing characters, story arcs etc.) And if he could elaborate on why if so.

Will the White Leaf and the Mysterious Scroll be in Ryo's inventory in Shenmue III? What about photos of Nozomi, Fangmei and Joy?

What is the AI Battling stretch goal? I asked about this and the High Ground Battle System during the 2nd Twitter Q&A and he responded that the latter involved some chain reaction system which put images of rolling boulders or something down hills in my head, but I still don't understand what AI Battling is.

Is it motion capture being used for all animations, including in game chars and npcs?

What FREE combat system have you planned for Shenmue 3? Are we expecting something as deep and complex as Virtua Fighter 5?

-In Shenmue 3 will we still be able to open cupboards and looks through draws?

-In Shennmue 3 will be still be able to pick up many objects and examine them, even if those objects aren’t directly related to the story or quest - like in the previous games?

-Will Shenmue 3 have a proper Virtua Fighter style free-battle system?

-Could you clarify your comments about the size of each of the villages. You made a comparison between the size of Dobuita in Shenmue 1 to the size of the locations in Shenmue 3. Will each village have at least the scale and depth of Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-How big is Choubu by comparison with Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-Does the rapport system imply that the overall plot-line will vary based the players actions? or will the overall plot-line remain the same regardless? For example will having a bad relationship with one of the characters make them turn against you, or remove them for the rest of the story completely?

-Will Shenhua be a regular companion throughout the whole Shenmue 3? i.e. will she actually be walking around with us like in disc 4 of Shenmue 2. And will her company be optional for the player?

-In Shenmue 3 will you be including an option for the player to choose which language dub and subtitle options they prefer?

-If Sega does release HD remastered ports of Shenmue 1+2 will the save transfer system be compatible with Shenmue 3?

While I would like to know about spoilery Shenmue III stuff, I left all of that out as I would prefer to find out in game.
by Supa
Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i thought of some more questions:

-Will the backer exclusive ‘calling card DLC’ involve multiple conversations with the characters from the previous games (especially Nozomi) rather than just one conversation?
-During these 'calling card' conversations will Ryo be mentioning any of the events occurring in Shenmue 3?

-Can you confirm whether or not the majority of Sega IP capsule toys from the previous games will be returning in Shenmue 3?

-In Shenmue 3 will each area, shop and building have its own musical theme like in the previous games?

-In Shenmue 3 will there be a cut-scene during the 7pm night time transitions like in the previous games?

-In Shenmue 3 will there be loading screens between areas and also upon entering a building like in the previous games?

-Whats happening with the paypal campaign? (If its not already active by the the time of the interview)

-In Shenmue 3 will Ryo still generally have an 11:00pm curfew?

-In Shenmue 3 will fans be able - for the first time - to see directly the rising and setting of the sun in the Shenmue universe?
by johnvivant
Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ask Yu Suzuki if Shenhua, Ren and Xiuying Hong Japanese voice actor from Shenmue 2 will be back for Shenmue 3?
by The_Intruder
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:shock:

I would like to ask him a LOT of questions, about everything, nothing only Shenmue 3, if possible... #-o , and with the none or very few spoilers. Sorry for my garbled English... :oops:

In the omake from Shenmue 2, in some reports, some older interviews, and even in the promo for S3, former staff members usually talked about that job as a very perfeccionist one, with high level requirements. Did Yu got to head the team in a easygoing way or being more like a Steve Jobs as usually portrayed (sometimes agressive)? How much different was to producing a game like Shenmue from producing a Virtua Fighter?

In the past, the AM2 team was well known as the technical excelence side of Sega R&D, helping Yu to pushing boundaries in a very consistent pace, and being true innovators for the gaming industry as a whole. Shenmue itself was the flagcarrier of these technical achievements. Will Shenmue 3 pursue such things too?

How different will be producing and directing a game in a small studio instead of a big company? Some key staff members were well known for other works in Sega, some of them are still there, some don't. How much confident are Yu about recruiting them for this work? Is there someone he would like to work with, but probably wont?

I would ask a few non-Shenmue questions... and returning to them later.

Yu left Sega, but is still a consultant. Did Yu leave someone to carry the flag?

A lot of good staff left Sega. What do he think about Sega as it is now?

How attached is Yu to his previous franchises? Do Yu are still having ideas for Virtua Fighter?... WHEN IS VF6? Persuade Sega to release it for PC, please!!!! [-o<

It was known that Harada from Namco had approached Sega for a eventual crossover VFxTekken, and since it isn't was successful, they partnered to Capcom. As a fighter gamer, that was a bummer... What Yu think about it?

If Yu could change something in the way that Shenmue was developed in the saturn and dreamcast era, what would it be?

Since Shenmue is a saga being produced for decades, and having since the beginning planned for a lot of different platforms, it is natural that some of the script had to be modified due to new possibilites or constraints; it was said before that there is a script which is fundamental since the beginning. It is great to have this flexibility to add or cut as needed (for example, the ship chapter)... How much of the script won't be used in games? When the script was closed for further edition? It was? Is there a single ending possible or are Yu making choices right now?

Shenmue I and II were being developed at same time, or in a continuum; I suppose that since the saturn the project were always under working. Was Shenmue III being produced at the ending of S2? If yes, how much of it?

How different will Shenmue III will be from, lets, say, a hipotetical S3 developed for xbox?

I finished Shenmue II and I had the impression that the game would take a more magical and fantastic routing, departing a little from the "physical" reality; later I saw the videos from Shenmue Online, and somehow my impression was not so far from this game never released. Even later I watched the Project Berkley promo and powerful explosions were there. Will Shenmue III have something fantastic as this?
Oh, that was a bad question, I don't want spoilers but... "!!!!! ](*,)

Was Shenmue Online planned to end the saga?

When kickstarter was announced, I really wished that it would end the saga, and I was surprised to know that Yu is really very ambitious, and will not end this saga in this game, for storytelling sake. I know that this is the real deal, that is what I want for a Shenmue game, but... what is the maximum predicted game, if the game is a success, or a huge success, or a game of the century? S4? S5?

The big hiatus in the development of the third game will have great influence over it? Would Yu want to make it different somehow, but having the need to make it a little more familiar than originally intended? If Shenmue I & II were released in HD, it would interfere in development of S3, due to no need to flashback?

A big thank you for David, for having this time to listen to us, and a big thank you for Yu!
by strider16
Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Has he considered changing parts of the story because it's been 14 years since two and his thoughts or feelings may have changed since all those years ago?

Who's the Jacky Bryant esque looking character in shenmue online?

Did he ever consider making a spin off game where you play as one of the main characters in the game in between the main series? ( Example: playing as gui zhang after his injury in between 2 and 3 )

How many months or years does the series stretch? Such as does it make it to 1988 or possibly beyond.

Any chance of seeing nozomi or any of the other shenmue 1 (aside from lan di or through flashbacks lol) characters in future installments?
by Jesse
Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I also think it's worth asking if he'd consider using VF5 resources for the battle system, if Sega would license those. They built Yakuza on Shenmue technology, and it'd cost them nothing to allow use of VF and Yakuza resources.
by shenmue852
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking forward to the interview! Although I'd love to know more about III, I think I'd wait for the game, as I already regret watching the spoiler in the Niconico interview. Here are some of my questions (including upvotes for ones already asked):

(Already asked)
- Curious about Shenmue Online, can he talk about how he was asked to make it, how faithful it would have been to the Shenmue story, was he disappointed it was cancelled?
- Japanese audio and English subtitles is a must!
- How far along was SIII was on Dreamcast before being cancelled?
- How does he feel about the supernatural elements of the floating sword and Shenhua's powers contrasting with the realism of the first two games?
- What game (arcade or any other) would he like to make other than Shenmue?

(New questions)
- Has he met Shigeru Miyamoto? What is his opinion of Miyamoto's games?
- What was Zhu Yuanda's relationship like with Iwao? I felt that this was not really discussed at the end of disc 3 of Shenmue II. All we heard was that Zhu was friends with Zhao Sunming, but nothing about Zhu and Iwao.
- Does Yu Suzuki practice martial arts?
- If everything goes well with Shenmue III, how does he foresee IV and V coming along? Can we expect them in 2019 and 2021? Referring to the GDC map, can we assume IV would take place in Xian/Luoyang, and V would be in Mengcun and Beijing? Would we ever see a side story set in Shanghai/Suzhou or Tibet/Xinjiang?
by kuwakodono
Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulation on getting to interview Yu again. \:D/ Here is my question:

- since the Dreamcast allows to transfer savegame files to the Internet and back to your PC, wouldn't it be technically possible to import our datas from previous games into Shenmue III, without necessarily needing that Shenmue I & II HD be released? Wouldn't it be just a matter of writing a piece of code that can read Dreamcast savefile data?
by PacemaŜinobo
Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

- Will the number of musics be as monumental as the previous episodes ?
- Will there be new orchestra musics ?
- Will there be new Sega capsule toys in addition of the original ones ?
- If fans are happy with Shenmue 3, can you promise Shenmue 4 will become a reality ? If yes, how will you estimate this level of happiness ?
- Will we see the real Shenmue 3, the Shenmue from Yu's vision ?
- How long did you work on your Shenmue III prototypes before choosing one for the kickstarter ?
- What are the respective roles of Neilo and YSnet ?
- How many NPCs will be there per locations ?
- Have you plan some travel in China to get your team into the atmosphere ?
- What kind of motion capture are you going to use ?
by Yokosuka
Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have some things I would love to know about.

The first one may have been mentioned.

1. Have you ever made any alterations - big or small - to the full Shenmue story over the years, or has it always remained the same since the beginning?

This second one may not be up to Yu exactly - more the localisation team, I guess - but it would be nice to know which convention the dialogue will follow for consistency.

2. Will Shenmue 3 follow Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2's naming conventions in the English translation? e.g. in Shenmue 1 it was Chi You Men and Zhu Yuanda; in Shenmue 2 it was Chiyoumen and Yuanda Zhu.

Finally, this one may not be up to Yu - more like SEGA - but it would be nice to know what his thoughts are.

3. With Virtua Fighter characters now appearing in Dead or Alive, and bearing in mind that DOA director Yosuke Hayashi once said his dream character to include would be Ryo Hazuki, would you also like to see Ryo as a playable character in the DOA series?
by Azuardo
Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah please ask about Japanese VO with English subs. Very important to me.
by Gen
Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank u for ur efforts my question is how far did development get to in the saturn version of the game ie story wise where did you get up to. How did you manage to get so much out if that console. And finally can you release a comic about ryos train journey from Hong kong to china.

Again thanks
by 7heavens
Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you for your efforts doing this for our community.
by Himuro
Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you so much guys, so many questions, I'll have to work harder than expected hehe.

I am probably going to gather everything until August 15th and will work from there.

Seems like people want to avoid spoilers etc and looking forward japanese voices being added to the game. I will work on this and tell Yu Suzuki that the demand is high and that he should definetly think about it. ;-)

About spoilers, you should inform him about the issue with his Nico Nico Douga video. Thanks of the fans effort (and the lack of interest from the media) , it was possible to avoid his spoiler for many of us. You should ask him whether this part is planned to be revealed in the future promotion anyway or he could still keep it secret two more years again.
by Yokosuka
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Last year, I had the chance to meet Yu Suzuki and interviewed him regarding Shenmue and Shenmue III. Best thing coming out of this was to share with you all the latest informations I could get.
In case anyone wanted to check out David's interview(again, or for the first time) from last year it's on the main page.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

So here we go :

What kind of questions would you like me to ask ?

What are you looking forward ?

Share anything that you're thinking about even if that's not a question, I'll try to turn it into one.

You can either answer directly through comments or you can send your questions to : [email protected]
I cannot provide details about the day of the interview and when it will be published on Shenmue 500k, Shenmue Dojo and Shenmue Master, but whenever I am allowed to do so, you'll be the first to know.
http://s9.postimg.org/smmg8xiun/david_yu.png

Thank you very much. Your last interview Yu brought up NPC's and talked about their daily routines.

One question to Yu would be about the NPC's, how many does he want to include in Shenmue 3, and will we be able ask them about multiple things as we could in S2. Basically how detailed will conversation with NPC's be.
by rome
Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic