Search found 145 matches

Return

I Had Lunch With Cédric Biscay

Hi All,

Yesterday, Sunday 10/22/15, I had lunch with Cédric Biscay.

It was really nice to get to know him a bit.

We spoke about Shenmue 3, both of our histories with the series, Shenmue Saturn, the Kickstarter, and the storyline.

We also spoke about modding Shenmue and my bike mod :)

Well, I am not one to say anything official about the game but I will say that the game is in great hands :mrgreen:

I did not conduct an interview with him as that is not what I was there for.

Please do not ask me any questions on Shenmue 3. Please ask the normal twitter handles.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/shengoro86/IMAG2100_zpsgyciuxvb.jpg
by shengoro86
Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Modding Knowledge

SHENMUE MODDING/HACKING KNOWLEDGE

"Creating, collecting & preserving knowledge of hacking & modding Shenmue games."

Resources:

⋅  Dreamcast Information
⋅  Miscellaneous
⋅  Shenmue_I
⋅  Shenmue_II
⋅  Shenmue_IIx
⋅  What's_Shenmue
⋅  Links

Credits:

⋅  Giorgio
⋅  shengoro86
⋅  Switch
⋅  IlDucci
by Giorgio
Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

http://i.imgur.com/brxySsN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IlDZQnB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W66u3OM.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/dayquest/suikoden_5_ang.jpg

PS2 awesomeness. Got Suikoden 3 off PSN since it was on sale. We never got 3 over here, for some reason, but hey, it's on UK PSN now at a good price.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

Crazy amount of work to fix his neck, the result worth it.

by Esppiral
Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue by David Deville

http://i.imgur.com/LeOojKW.png

Today we have a new Yu Suzuki interview from David Deville , you might remember his previous interview that happened last year. David met Yu Suzuki again to do a second interview about Shenmue 3. The gaming news site DualShockers also has released a new interview. Read them both below:

Interview Links: David's Yu Suzuki Interview | DualShocker's Yu Suzuki Interview
by Ziming
Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Awesome interview DEVILLE David! Thank-you so much for securing it and sharing it with all of us! :) I've tweeted it and posted it in the Kickstarter comments!
by Anonymous81
Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Thank you for this great interview David! It was definitely Worth the wait :mrgreen:

Lot of interesting questions & answers here. I don't understand why S3 team doesn't describe more and better each stretch goal we are pointing at, especially while the campaign is still ON.
The AI Battling or Ragdoll reaction are both appealing but have never been explained this well until your interview and the DS one... unless I've missed some info of course.

Knowing that Yu Suzuki plans to have Choubu area as big as Dobuita is good news too!

Once again, thank you for this interview (in 3 languages!) David :)
by Kiske
Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

I can agree but there's no perfect game, there's always something lacking.

People were whining that Shenmue III wouldn't bring an ending, some were fine with it and wanted the full version. Same goes with graphics. Since Yu Suzuki said he wouldn't focus too much on the graphics part, people started whining. And now that we're talking about 30/60 fps when the game's development has just started, they still find a way to say something about it.

I will wait around one year or mid-2017 before judging. I don't even know if we could call Shenmue III an "alpha" as it is right now. So there's a long way to go. :happy:

And let's forget who Yu Suzuki is. I wouldn't even worry about Shenmue III being an "unworthy piece of crap". ;-)

I’ll certainly agree that it’s too early to judge the game. I mean…there is no game yet ;)
But…once again, after a 15-year wait, it’s all about hopes, wishes and dreams at this point, and vague announcements can certainly affect them all. The impact will just vary depending on the topic and the person.

Regarding Suzuki, sure, I would be more than inclined to believe in him as well…then again, the same applied to Star Wars fans back in ‘99. Sadly, anything’s possible after a long hiatus.

Realistically, in Shenmue 3’s case, everything will come down to budget and vision:
-Will Suzuki’s vision have evolved… or degenerated over the years?
-Can the very limited budget bring about something worthy of the title/legacy?
by punkmanced
Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III on French TV

Legend, thanks David for your tireless work.
by fittersau
Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you for sharing David!

It gives me goose bumps to see Shenmue on TV :heart:

Cédric Biscay is really doing an amazing job.

Canal+ is a network very popular among 20-50 years old, it's most definitely a great showcase for Shenmue.
by Kiske
Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://i.imgur.com/QkLpx7X.png

Shenmue Gaiden 2015 Plan

Mini update. The following is the development plan for the rest of the year. If we stick to this vague schedule, we should be able to release a demo on Christmas day. Some crucial info may be missing. Updates to the page as we notice them.

October 21st - 31st 2015
• Base game / engine built. (COMPLETE)
• import all current backgrounds / characters (COMPLETE)
• complete basic structure for Guilin demo chapter (COMPLETE)

November 1st - 30th
• Incorporate events, ?, story branches, social events, image maps, music etc.
• Shenmue Gaiden update on the 3rd

December 1st - 10th
• proofread script
• Shenmue Gaiden update on the 3rd
• hand script over to David Deville for French translation
• Receive final demo script
• Have script voiced by voice actors

December 19th - 24th
• Have script voiced by voice actors
• TEST TEST TEST
• MORE TESTING
• Send copy to david and esspiral for approval.

December 25th
• Eat Christmas dinner and open presents
• Release Shenmue Gaiden Demo
• Presents for all.

December 31st - 1st January
• New announcements
• Feedback
• Party

Updates will continue, with major updates being released on the 3rd of each month.

Many Thanks.
by ShenSun
Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Updated English translation.
by Amir
Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RELEASE: Shenmue 2 Explore Mod Disc 4 BETA

Hi all,

Here is the first public release of Disc 4 of my Shenmue 2 Explore Mod.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/shengoro86/cave_zpsdshj8rhq.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why release a BETA?
To give you all a taste of what is to come.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Areas Playable with No Clip Mode:

-Languishan
-Shenhua's House
-Stone Pit (Cave)
How do I use it:

-Grab the save file you need from the save files provided
-Put the save in the NullDC folder
-Boot up CDI
-Launch game
-Enjoy!
Issues:
CDI is oversized. Only use on GDEMU or USB-GDROM on actual hardware
Can possibly crash on a console.
I removed Doors but they are not needed in these areas

Special Thanks:
Bluemue - For the info on the FLDD -> REGD sector
Ilducci - For the tutorial on Shenmue 2 notebook hacking
Giorgio - For giving us no clip in S1
Wude - For showing me how to do explicit mapinfo hacks in Shenmue 2
Sm1th - For making the PAL Eng Speech Discs which I used for this release

Footage:
-Stone Pit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijzf4imZU4
-Shenhua's House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVbfEiJts8

How do I download it?
PM me and I will link you

Development Thread:
http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49257
by shengoro86
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC version?

Same here, waiting for the pc version to be addded to the rewards. 8)
by abaww
Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC version?

Awesome, thanks for the response! Yeah, I thought about just waiting after I posted. Probably my best move. I am super stoked.
by TrashPuppet
Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So much goodness inside a single disc.
by sand4fish
Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So I started playing Watch_Dogs as I was winding down on AC Syndicate, and kind of a weird thing happened. Back when I first played through it (roughly a year ago, I think) I really enjoyed it. Thought it was a really good open-world experience, way better than all the shit people were giving it (primarily, I'm convinced, due to the graphics not being quite as high-spec as initially expected, to which I shrugged my shoulders).
When the game was in development, I think people just got too excited for it or something, and the final product didn't blow their minds. I dunno really. All I know is that I didn't follow it much at all during development, thinking little more of it than "eh, looks cool-ish." So going into it with almost no expectations, I ended up thinking it was a helluva fun time. Not amazing, sure, but certainly worth a playthrough.
Well I start playing it a week ago or whatever... and holy shit. The good kind. For some reason, it's just clicking with me to a ridiculous extreme. While I had fun the first time a year ago, I'm having a fucking blast now. While I liked it before, I'm flat-out loving it now. And seriously (this shocked me a bit), it's starting to approach that "one of my favorite games" level for me. It was a slow burn, I guess. I might go into it another time why that is exactly, but the point is that for some reason it's just gained this crazy level of prestige for me personally, and whenever a game hits that sweet spot... the merch gets bought.
So this is likely just the first of many Watch_Dogs things I'll end up buying. I'll try not to post every time (that'd be a bit obnoxious), but I am excited to get to look through this.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/33yqatc.jpg

I'm also eyeing one of the UK collector's editions (which comes with the soundtrack and the protagonist's hat and mask; none of that dumb "9 inch statue" bullshit we always get saddled with in the US), and a couple other things.

Also, just to get free shipping on amazon (and because I've wanted this for a while anyway), I also threw in the soundtrack to AC Revelations. Still my favorite AC game, and the soundtrack has a number of moments that already hit me with nostalgia. Great OST.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/14nmqzc.jpg
by OL
Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/animegamer183/20151026_192146_zpsh1l6jso6.jpg

wow talk about a small Collectors package for $130. it has one of the most clever things I have ever seen for a CE, it has a little protective plastic box around the actual box inside so it doesnt get damaged. Wont be opening this thing just yet, it got put right on the shelf with my other stuff.
by AnimeGamer183
Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 15th Anniversary (North America) & Making of Shenmue

http://i.imgur.com/C2FZ9m4.png

Today is the 15th anniversary since Shenmue was released in North America on the Sega Dreamcast. (December in Europe) To commemorate this day we are sharing a special video that goes behind the scenes in the making of Shenmue. Back in the late 90's NHK aired a TV program on the development of Shenmue at SEGA. They spent 6 months with Yu Suzuki as he was developing Shenmue on what would be Sega's last home game console. English translation provided by Switch .

Making of Shenmue: Youtube | DailyMotion | Vimeo

Available Captions/Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.
by Ziming
Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

I've guessed some parts in the spoiler:

Edit : Added one suggestion at the end.

Tried to translate this screen as well as I can (can barely read some parts due to quality) :

http://s29.postimg.org/41i6cs493/translate_1.jpg

Info :

漓 江の支流、 狼回 山をの*たところにある山村

民家 (FR : Résidence privée / EN : Private house) ** 戸  鐘楼  寺

袁 の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about 袁(Shenhua's stepfather) *)

*の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about *)

PC **********
Q  鐘楼  ********
PC ******** F.O

EV 熊(?) (FR : Hirondelle(s) / EN : A bear ) ( *Not really sure, but it'll make more sense, isn't it? )

EV 石跳び (FR : Sauts de pierre en pierre (à vérifier) / EN : Jumping from a stone to another (like the first trailer where Ryo and Shenhua were jumping))
by Kiyuu
Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've guessed some parts in the spoiler:

Tried to translate this screen as well as I can (can barely read some parts due to quality) :

http://s29.postimg.org/41i6cs493/translate_1.jpg

Info :

漓 江の支流、 狼回 山をの*たところにある山村

民家 (FR : Résidence privée / EN : Private house) ** 戸  鐘楼  寺

袁 の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about 袁(Shenhua's stepfather) *)

*の情報 NA (FR : Information concernant * / EN : Information about *)

PC **********
Q  鐘楼  ********
PC ******** F.O

Here's how it looks after straightening and rotating the slide and integrating the English translations from David and Kiyuu onto it, plus some minor additions.

I'm quite surprised at how much detail Yu Suzuki has revealed, even though it's still at a high level.

(Spoilers)
The map change at 7:00PM is intruiging...

Some of the abbrevations seem self-explanatory, such as EV = Event, Q = Quest. Not sure about some of the others.
http://i.imgur.com/tOoqZmo.png
Updated: forest event changed to "bear" (thanks to Kiyuu).
by Switch
Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DEVILLE_David wrote:Thanks Kiyuu and Switch ! It makes sense now. Still think that the missing ??? is Iwao. But would need a better picture.

Thank you for your dedication. I'd forgotten to include one suggestion, so I've added it to the spoiler in my previous post.
by Kiyuu
Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter 蔡 has responded to my request to join the dojo forums. He says he'll be here tomorrow.
Hello everyone, I am so happy to be here :D :D :D . Shenmue dojo is very famous in Chinese shenmue fans club. Today another member or myself will share some pictures about the conference, such as the gifts and paints.
by Peter 蔡
Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New set of unused music

I recently found out how to make the game play each sub track of the music files that hold more then just one tune. While I was at it, I recorded all the other unused music tracks that haven't been uploaded yet and bunched them all up into one video. It's crazy how much unused music they left in Shenmue II.

https://youtu.be/Pp6KnpKDD38
by BlueMue
Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: full list gift Yu received during china press conference

Here's an English translation from the Japanese (so hopefully it retains most of the original meaning!)

Hello Master Suzuki,

We are big fans of the Shenmue series. You have come to Shanghai this time to tell the young people of China about your experience with game development. On behalf of everyone, I would like to welcome you and express our thanks.

Most of us were part of the Dreamcast era, and so we have deep feelings for your creation, Shenmue. We experienced this wonderful game and Ryo’s adventures. It would not be going far to say this was a part of our life experience. In Shenmue we have seen many experiences of loneliness, growth, love and strength, and they won’t be forgotten as long as we live. It was such a shame that the story of Shenmue did not continue at that time. We felt as sad as if we had lost part of our family, or a girlfriend/boyfriend. We thought this regret would stay with us for the rest of our lives.

In the 14 years that followed, we avidly followed all news about Shenmue. Although occasionally we could not bear to see the reports, as our raised hopes would always be dashed. Little by little, we tucked Shenmue away deep in our hearts. As the Chinese poet Guo Moruo once wrote, “Disappointed year after year, Year after year, my hope's still fierce”.

At last, there was a turning point. At the 2015 E3 conference, you announced the Shenmue III Kickstarter project. At that moment, tears overflowed from everyone’s eyes, and we smiled with joy. We have a saying in China, “A man cannot cry easily. But when he can, it is true sadness”. Actually we have already turned 30, and have not cried for many years – some of us probably have not cried for 10 years. However this time we cried plainly. Tears of emotion, tears of happiness. We are really grateful to you for your efforts. Without these we would not believe we would ever cry so much again.

From the time of the Kickstarter project announcement, we have gathered together again and have continued to support Shenmue III. Everyone is putting in maximum effort, I am happy to say. The funds gathered in China may not be great compared to elsewhere, but it represents the hearts of the Shenmue fans across China. We will never leave the Number 1 Shenmue club. Thanks to Shenmue, we have all become friends, which has made us happy. We are grateful to you for this also.

We have one request for you, which is that we would like Shenmue III in Chinese. Naturally this will require budget but please consider it. It will please all the players who speak Chinese. We are also hoping for HD versions of Shenmue I and II.

Finally, we celebrate the smooth development of Shenmue III, and pray that it will be a big hit. We pray for great happiness and health to you, your staff and families from the bottom of our hearts.

Shenmue Fan Club of China
by Switch
Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tentei?

Yu Suzuki : Lan Di (Rantei-Souryu/藍帝(蒼龍)) is the east leader. His name also means Blue Dragon. About Niao Sun, she also has another name : 炎帝 (Entei), and rules over the South part and is represented by a Phoenix.

Now, regarding the last 2 bosses, no one has seen them yet. One of them is Koutei (昊帝) and leads the West part and is represented by a Tiger. The last one is Gentei (玄帝), covers the North part and is represented by a Turtle.

Oh and, Ziming Hong is not one of the 4th leaders.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html
by sshen1127
Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

UPDATE: I've finished adding translations of Yu Suzuki's talk for the first half, completing subtitles for the whole video.

The first half mainly covers content that has been seen before at the 2014 GDC, but it was still interesting to see this second take on it. One thing that is new is the slide explaining how the characters' moves from Virtua Fighter were mapped across to some of the main characters in Shenmue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkaLCzL6Z8
by Switch
Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MORE SHENMUE INTERVIEW ON THE 25 IN CHINA (Third UPDATE)

So its confirmed we are going to get over 1 hour of shenmue information from Takshi Hirai

one of the question in the interview

- will shenmue 3 have any effect on people who never played the first 2 game before?
shenmue 3 follow the story of shenmue 2 , so there are will be some challenge for new comer. but with great story flow and game design . new comer will also able to enjoy the game.

at this point i am still not 100% sure. sometime china game site is weird like that. maybe in another 2 - 3 day the full conference will be post it.. by then i will post the full conference ...
by sshen1127
Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://i.imgur.com/YDMwskX.png

Greetings everyone. Today, I thought id update you all on the Shenmue Gaiden project. Everything is going according to plan and we're making great progress. It's certainly a very ambitious project, but i'm confident we can all make it a reality.

http://i.imgur.com/vJbGkUY.png

http://i.imgur.com/NsmXXW3.png

Shenmue Gaiden currently has two types of models, original and new. The upcoming demo will contain the original models, whilst the full game will contain the new detailed versions. These new renders take time unfortunately. Here's a sample of both types.

http://i.imgur.com/EtlN19o.png

The image on the right is the newer model. It has improved lighting, textures, details and special effects. Esspiral continues to improve and his work is simply amazing. I wish I could show you more :)

http://i.imgur.com/BA0DjKD.png

Fully animated weather has now been implemented into Shenmue Gaiden. Currently, only rain is functional. Expect more in the full game.

http://i.imgur.com/d6JmoEJ.png

Although this is a still image, the rain particles are fully animated when playing. This effect gives the game a more professional a authentic feel.

http://i.imgur.com/9uUtQUX.png

We now have the original Shenmue Modder, LanDC working with us. LanDC will be composing music for the title. I've heard a few sample tracks from him already and they sound GREAT!!!. Check out his latest public Shenmue remix below.

http://i.imgur.com/N0DBZvI.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH7gkAC0dQU

In addition to this, we've also been given some other great amazing music for the project. Samples to come in following updates.

http://i.imgur.com/g9XBb1X.png

I'm happy to say that after some testing, Characters will now be able to blink and have their mouths move when speaking in a conversation. Here is a prototype shot of one of the characters.

http://i.imgur.com/BZ4uKDm.png

http://i.imgur.com/PUKK8w2.png

During certain periods of the game, you'll be able to freely explore various areas. To do so, we've implemented a world map containing the playable areas of Guilin. Simply choose an area which you wish Ryo to visit and you'll be taken there instantly. Pick carefully, as each area will have different sub stories.

http://i.imgur.com/7V0h5PV.png

http://i.imgur.com/D15nNTQ.png

Throughout the game, you'll be given the option to spend more time with certain characters. You'll be given a ton of choices to choose from when engaging in conversation. Choose wisely. Each choice will alter the character's response and perception of you.

http://i.imgur.com/GcAENhi.png

http://i.imgur.com/K1N3dpo.png

We now have a sample script for those who wish to do voice acting. Please record as many characters as you'd like and upload your demo reel to youtube or email them directly to [email protected]

DOWNLOAD THE SAMPLE SCRIPT HERE
http://www.filedropper.com/shenmuegaidensamplelines

http://i.imgur.com/432rOpt.png

Finally, we'll be posting a new help thread in the community section. This thread will be use to request specific help from everyone. We can't make this project fully without your input. Please help as much as you can. Link to follow.

That's Novembers update for you. Please give us your feedback, suggestions and questions. If you'd like to help out on the project, please send us an email. [email protected]

Thanks everyone.
by ShenSun
Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New interview with Cedric Biscay (Sega Nerds)

Hey guys just read a really good interview with Cedric on Sega Nerds:

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/11/23/interview-biscay-discusses-shenmue-iiis-development-fan-reactions/

He makes some very interesting details, such as thinking that it's extremely important to have a I & II HD remaster before III, and then goes on to say a big update at Monaco Magic in one of the following questions - possibly could we link two and two together :D?

Good read anyways :)
by James Brown
Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Full pictures of gifts and photo session with Yu.

Hi guys,I shared the pictures with you. :P :P :P

The man who gave the gifts to Yu is Xingyunliushui, and the complete video of chinese conference was also conducted by him, and uplaoded by me.

Photo Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/YsVT9

list some of the photoes
http://i.imgur.com/EsV9yEo.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/Oz1Ecrg.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/X5ETWGo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GL8jMb3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NpuZggm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CFlCzaM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dGAyLfF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1OtZJhb.jpg
by Peter 蔡
Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwxjwISgKo

Most interesting parts :

(5:10) About MAGIC 2016 in February
There will be a progress statement. Normally, we have the ambition to show a trailer... well rather a teaser I'd like to clarify, with the first true reliable images so we're ambitious. At least, we'll see new things like images, explanations about the game, story, etc.

(16:29) About Yu Suzuki
He's very nice, infact we are basically great pals, that's the reason we work together as well and he's a very humble person ( note : Cédric stresses this point during the video because not all the creators he knows are friendly in the gaming/anime universe and sometimes act like divas ). I think he is humble because he did everything that was possible to do in the sector of gaming. I was always fascinated when he showed me photos of him with Spielberg or Mickael Jackson but with calm, not as someone like a stalker. And you know what, it was those people who were happy to be pictured with Suzuki because his games provided them a lot of fun and they wanted to collaborate with him. So he doesn't boast at all about it, he's really supercool, we get on very well, and above all, we often drink good wine together. He likes wine, so I do. It's generally the common lot of our discussions (laughs).
Question : Which wine is his favorite ?
Cédric : Well it's a bit of expansive wine (laughs). He enjoys the really great wines, the Château Margaux, etc.
Q : And Romanée-Conti, and goes on...
C : So, yeah I admit we didn't reach this level together yet but we drunk some Château Margaux from his own wine cellar.
Q : His Tokyo-based wine cellar, isn't it ?
C : Yeah, a mini wine cellar in his office at his home but I will say nothing because I own a wine cellar in my office too so I refuse to make fun of him (laughs).

(18:35)
C : The production is progressing well, we're not late at all, it's still planned for Christmas 2017 as we decided. You know, a big interest is there, it's a traditional month for the players. Ok there are other moments in the year but it's usually better to release a game at Christmas.

Q : Since when you're working on Shenmue III before the announcement exactly ?
C : I admit we're not talking a lot about things like that, I don't want to be already impolite but (laughs) it's kind of confidential.

(19:51)
Sega is the IP owner. So for us, making Shenmue III is a huge risk because we don't own the IP. If you own the IP, that means you make a big return on investment. In our case for example, our return on investment will only be from the sales, period. We will not see the money generated by the goodies for example.

I think there are 200 000 big fans.

About AAA status
(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game and will easily meet the current PS4 standards.

My hidden goal was $5 million (for kickstarter).

(23:45)
What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must make clear that's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network. We also thought about doing a little manga or animation based on Shenmue I & II story but that's nothing compared to remake Shenmue in HD version. About the question you ask me about the hype, while it did not influence us, I think it can for others. I have the feeling that now everybody is interested in Shenmue, for example, at the companies level, to release related goodies.

Q : When was your first encounter with Yu Suzuki, how, and around which wine you seduced him ?
C : Basically, I was interested to meet him. I met him in Tokyo thanks a common friend. Then we talked about a lot of things, firstly Shenmue of course as a fan but I'm also fan of Virtua Fighter so we had a lot of common things to talk. I also bring him to an event in the south of France, then the Anime Game Show at Monaco in 2013 where the official discussion about Shenmue seriously started out because before this moment, it was really impossible as Sega didn't want to let the IP at all. So we're become real friends and we met again several times at San Francisco. We also did together the GDC , the Napa Valley as you mentionned wine. So we indeed drunk all the great American wines while discussing about how to find fundings for Shenmue III. Well it looks quite simple but you know, I do my business since almost 15 years in Japan, you can't meet Yu Suzuki so easily but thanks my job, the doors open a little more easily.

Q : Indeed, a bit like the Jet Set. The hardest part is to get in, and you did it.
C : I would say rather the Jet Set of Gaming (laughs)

(40:08)
Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

Q : But it's a lot of people, isn't it ?
C : Yes of course, it's a video game so there is a minimum. Moreover, since the annoucement in June, we received so many requests from people who want to participate in the developement, that never stops ! There are even developers who want to work FOR FREE, it's insane. Then it smoothed down a little. For the Shibuya Production mail, I receive personally only 3 or 4 emails per week while in June, it was crazy, they were dozens and dozens of people per day, phone calls with "We want to participate in Shenmue III". [...] There were Australians, Japaneses, Ukrainians... they weren't random guys in their garages but true studios !

Q : Can we suppose that the team, although mainly Japanese, is pretty international ?
C : The team is essentially Japanese but with indeed some foreigners who live in Japan, who speak Japanese. You know that if you don't speak Japanese, it's very complicated... well I'm saying but I don't speak Japanese (laughs), but if you're working among a team, it's difficult.

(41:57)
Q : Will the PC version be optimized compared to the PS4 version ?
C : Good question, I would say "Yes".

(56:15)
Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

(59:10)
Q : Will the PS4 and PC versions cost a different price ?
C : No at the moment but it's something that can change for multiple reasons. But at the moment, no.
by Yokosuka
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III spoilers - avoid or embrace?

And have to keep in mind that Shenmue's story has changed. Like Yu Suzuki loves to say, there's the "original story" and what Shenmue is today.

I'll probably watch trailers etc as I don't really mind spoilers anymore. But I have to agree about the Nico Nico's video spoiler. That one was huge and I wasn't expecting him to reveal it so soon. :mrgreen:

Until which point the story has changed ? If it's just about quests between keys points of the story, it's not a big deal. But if the change concerns the identity or the will of some characters, that would sound really enigmatic.
by Yokosuka
Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

Shenmue is pretty short if you rush and go from A to Z without taking your time here and there.

Shenmue III could (we don't know) last 7-8 hours if you rush for the first time or 30 hours if you take your time to get all the dialogues etc.

Then people will try to do some speedrun and will end up finishing the game in 2-3 hours so it all depends on how you're looking at it.

First playthrough is what matters the most to me. I'd be happy with a 15-20 hours Shenmue III.

Shenmue 1 takes over 8 hours to speed run even with the skip disc 1 glitch. Those work days and unskippable cutscenes really add up.
by Mr357
Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How long do you think Shenmue III will be ??

Shenmue is pretty short if you rush and go from A to Z without taking your time here and there.

Shenmue II can be speedrun in a lot less than first. Mainly because you can skip cutscenes.

But Shen I has a lot of articial (or semi artificial), ways to make the game longer, while in SII it's mostly on point (without counting "real way" of gathering money in 2 instances).

I quite like the "unespected" ambushes while forklifting, or the "time to waste" in the first one, but that does matter in second (or 20th time).

Shenmue II has a lot of those "random moments" that get rewarded by exploring, while Shenmue I makes you explore by design.

I like Shenmue I more than II (as I've said it enough times here). Hopefully SIII will have a playtime that doesn't try to drag bullshit (like most wrpg jrpgs of our time).
by shredingskin
Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Beta Video - now subtitled

Although this 30-minute VHS video of Shenmue beta footage was released by SEGA back in 1999, as far as I know English subtitles have not been available.

Happily this is no longer the case as I have now completed adding in English subtitles. Even if you have watched it before you may like to enjoy it again!

https://youtu.be/Ju7b5EeZkYU
by Switch
Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

Ok, thanks to David from Shenmue Master, there was no video. It was more of a slideshow. Just in case people are looking for a video of some sorts, as previously reported from JapanFM.

I am very happy with the images. Always keep in mind that this is still a WIP and by no means the final article. Imagine these were in a gaming magazine with the game over a year from release. I am over the moon infact.
by Peter
Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Weekly AM2 article: Young Ryo's meal recipe

Here is a translation of an article published in the Weekly AM2 online magazine in June 2000, as requested by Giorgio.

Not a necessity at all, but any chance to translate the official recipe (by AM2) of how the young Ryo Hazuki ate his carrots (carefully picked by the farmers one by one)? I think for Shenmue fans it would be enticing to try them cooked that way in real life!

Link to original article

http://i.imgur.com/VlxZCnJ.jpg
6 June 2000

A Meal at the Hazuki Residence

This project was born from our desire to taste that well-known meal that features in Shenmue.

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a meal featuring in Shenmue are the carrots that Ryo ate when he was a young boy. We will be recreating exactly the meal that was served that day at the Hazuki residence, specifically the stewed vegetable dish containing those rounded carrots - we'll refer to it as "Simmered Carrots".

Recipe for Simmered Carrots

http://i.imgur.com/78OAOwm.jpg http://i.imgur.com/q90YdoA.jpg
[Left] Our ingredients
[Right] The carrot in question

Ingredients (serves 2)

⋅ Carrots: 1
⋅ Potatoes: 2
⋅ Snow peas: a moderate amount
⋅ Sesame oil: 2 large spoonfuls
⋅ Dashi [Japanese soup stock] : 1.5 cups
⋅ Seasoning: sugar, mirin [cooking sake] , sake, soy sauce

Preparation

Peel the carrots thickly, with broad strokes; this will result in a more angular, polygonal appearance as you slice them into rings. To ensure they cook through properly, make a cross-shaped cut at their centers. Also chop up some of the carrot into chunks.

http://i.imgur.com/5gd1yhj.jpg
Don't forget that polygonal look

Peel the potatoes in the usual way, removing the eyes. Cut into quarters and slice off the sharp edges to help stop them from disintegrating during cooking.

Frying

Heat 2 large spoonfuls of sesame oil in a pot. Fry the carrots and then the potatoes on medium heat, mixing any parts sticking to the base or sides of the pot back with the vegetables. (Once the vegetables have browned somewhat, transferring them to a microwave oven can speed up the process).

http://i.imgur.com/1QqbOpi.jpg
Fry thoroughly

When the surface of the potatoes turns transparent, add the soup stock to the pot.

Simmering and Serving

After the soup stock has been added, heat strongly and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low flame, add 2 large spoonfuls each of sugar, mirin and sake and simmer.

Simmer slowly while skimming the surface. When the potatoes have softened, add 2 large spoonfuls of soy sauce and put the lid on.

When amount of liquid has halved add 1 large spoonful of soy sauce and the snow peas. Simmer until the liquid has gone and you're done.

http://i.imgur.com/BxhATxx.jpg
Done!

The Meal from "That Day" is Complete!

http://i.imgur.com/MURwShy.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Tl0jxWr.jpg
[Left] The meal at the Hazuki residence
[Right] Remarkably sumptuous!

Aside from the simmered carrots, for a perfect recreation serve with white rice (heaped flatly), miso soup (nothing extraordinary; just containing tofu and wakame seaweed), cold tofu - divided into large pieces. katsuo [dried bonito shavings] topped with ginger, and a slice of grilled salmon. Bon appetit!

The Tasting

And so our "Meal at the Hazuki Residence" is ready, but just at the moment of tasting, [staff member] Takuan stubbornly refuses to eat! His reaction is just like Ryo's as a boy, as if to say "I don't like carrots"!

http://i.imgur.com/x8bERIj.jpg

On hearing this, the chef [author of this article] Nangoku Goro - who loves carrots - gets in a temper.

Nangoku Goro loves to lecture children. He can't let this go without saying a word or two.

"Takuan, while you're still sleeping in bed, farmers are working hard in the fields, carefully picking carrots, one by one. So how can you waste them like that?"

http://i.imgur.com/XRihymv.jpg

With these words, he encourages Takuan to eat his carrots, and...

"OK... I'll eat them."

Gathering his courage, Takuan takes the plunge and faces up to the hated carrots like a true man!

(By the way, carrots are rich in beta carotene, so eating them daily will help ward off old age and cancer).

-------

So, how did you like the "Meal at the Hazuki Residence"?

We checked with one of the Shenmue developers about the "Simmered Carrots", and it turns out that the dish should actually be Niku-jaga [simmered meat and potatoes, a popular Japanese dish] ^_^. From its appearance we weren't able to detect any meat so we didn't include it in the recipe, but when you are making "Simmered Carrots" at home you can turn it into the even more delicious Niku-jaga by adding 100g of thinly-sliced meat, 1 onion and 100g of "shirataki" noodles.
by Switch
Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

It's here!

https://youtu.be/nOs3FX-29Fg

Media coverage
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/03/fan-remasters-shenmue-the-movie-into-5-hour-long-epic-5921456/
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/06/03/shenmue-the-movie-gets-fan-made-remaster/209928/
http://agetimes.net/tech/gaming/fan-remasters-shenmue-the-movie-into-5-hour-long-epic/
http://www.gametoppc.com/2016/06/gaming-fan-remasters-shenmue-movie-into.html
http://hu.ign.com/shenmue/13059/news/eld-at-ujra-a-shenmue-filmet
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/4/11858558/shenmue-the-movie-high-definition-full-version
http://www.gameplane.de/shenmue-remaster-von-shenmue-the-movie-veroeffentlicht/
http://n4g.com/news/1914461/shenmue-remaster-of-shenmue-the-movie-published
http://www.gamecrate.com/shenmue-movie-gets-proper-fan-remake/13744?hootPostID=738c94624bee5a411c809e8cb0751b4b
http://www.rebelgamer.de/2016/06/seht-euch-hier-shenmue-the-movie-in-high-definition-an/53376
http://n4g.com/news/1914461/shenmue-remaster-of-shenmue-the-movie-published?info=true

Old OP contents
I am pleased to present to you the trailer for my recently begun project-

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

https://youtu.be/jGmwkT-bFLQ

I've always been disappointed by the original, and although I understand that they had run time and disc space limitations to work with, I felt that Shenmue: The Movie wasn't an adequate experience. I decided just a few days ago that with the power of modern emulation, I could remake Shenmue: The Movie the way I felt it should have been done, and in 1080p this time.

I'm happy with how the trailer turned out, but keep in mind that not all of the footage you see here is final. Certain parts of the game have given me some trouble, for example the "microstutter" you probably noticed in the Yokosuka harbor scene. I'm hoping to get every second of the 3-5 hour long finished product as perfect as possible.
Edit: Fixed the stutter in the harbor cutscene and uploaded a new version of the trailer (embedded above).

"Can I help?"

Absolutely! However, I will be doing all of the recording and editing myself to keeps things easier and more consistent. What I will need that I'm not sure I can do myself (not very well, at least), is assets like title and ending cards, a custom thumbnail, and probably a new font too. The one by David Brown that I used is nice, but it doesn't support numbers, so I couldn't use it for the intro text or credits. Besides these sorts of things, I'm completely open to any advice, compliments, or criticisms anyone has. This is about creating the best remake possible, not my ego.

As said in the trailer, I'd like to give a big thanks to BlueMue for his advice while I was recording this; David Brown for the Shenmue font he created which I used at the end of the video; Esppiral , Masterchan777 , and Sappharad for creating the awesome Shenmue I&II Auto Fixer; and the entire Demul team for making such a fantastic emulator.

Thanks for watching and reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
by Mr357
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

My main task was to help out with the content. We've been working on what should be available during the conf etc. I cannot provide details but everything will be available in 7 days. ;-)
Looking forward to it. Perhaps you could give us the slightest tease of what we might see? Just to keep expectations in check of course.
by Spaghetti
Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

I'm sorry to say that I finally won't be able to go :(

Ah man no way. What happened?

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to announce that I will be on stage for the Shenmue III Conference that will be held on February 27. I've been working on Shenmue III content and hope you will enjoy what's coming. I am looking forward to meeting you !

Awesome bud! And I remember there was a certain conversation once upon a time about you not going! :P

Will try my best to get in the front row, but due to certain things, I have absolutely no idea how the day is gonna play out lol! :rotflmao:

10.000 Dollar for Shenmue III on Kickstarter ...

You are really a great Shenmue-Fan!!! =D> =D> =D>

Lol thanks Hanzumom. Still having plenty of noodles and water to pay for it, bit there's light at the end of the tunnel now. Almost there.
by Peter
Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

David confirmed as conference moderator.

"9h25 : Conférence Shenmue III avec Yu Suzuki avec pour modérateur David De ville" (magic-ip.com)

Amazing lol.
by Yokosuka
Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hype is rising!!!

I just wanted to say that it's amazing to come back here after some time, find all the latest info, and see the usual familiar "faces" that discuss/help/work for Shenmue 3, all driven by passion. Thank you guys
by Shenhua-Nani?
Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic