Search found 199 matches

Return

I'm working on an essay on Shenmue franchise and religion

The Shenmue franchise is rife with spirituality and religion.

One thing not too many Shenmue fans know is that Shenmue is actually based off of a genre - Shenmo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_and_demons_fiction

It's a genre of Gods and Demons. It's a Chiense genre that traditional mixes spirituality, religion, martial arts, and ethical lessons into a beautiful package. My favorite book of all time, Journey to the West, is one such example, and the book is famous for its Buddhist allegory. I would make the argument that Shenmue is a Taoist allegory, and still blends the religion and martial arts of the genre's tradition.

Something to consider. I'll post the article whenever I get the chance. :)
by Himuro
Mon May 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Final episode of Mad Men.
It was hard to go into this with any expectations; it's literally the only show that I've ever followed that you just can't harbor expectations with. It's always unpredictable, yet weirdly organic regardless. It was nice to see that most of the characters got generally happy "endings" (if you could call them that) with the notable exception of one.
But of course they had to leave things just ambiguous enough to keep people speculating and considering it for a long time to come. Don Draper's "ending" is very vague; in some respects it could imply that a major change was aroused within him, while in others it might imply that he simply goes back to being who he's always been. I think it's left "blank" enough that, for anyone who follows the show through from the beginning, it'll leave an interesting sort of "haunt" in the back of your mind; not because of anything disturbing, mind you, but because it leaves you wondering about things without getting any real answers.
So yeah, interesting final episode. It's not the crowning jewel in the entire Mad Men series by any means, but the show has always been more about the entirety of arcs and storylines anyway, not just individual episodes. One of the few (if not the only ) genuinely "artistic" tv shows I've ever seen. Intelligent and thought-provoking, never reliant on cheap twists or thrills. I've enjoyed it since I started watching, and I think it'll survive pretty well in people's minds as something that can be analyzed and dissected from a lot of different angles.
by OL
Sun May 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I cant believe how boring those games have become.

They haven't "become" anything. The games stay exactly the same as they ever were. We're the ones that change. If you're not enjoying them now, it's not because the games are shit (they were fine back in the day), it's just because your preferences and ideas of what makes a game "good" have altered. Give it twenty years, and we might eventually be remarking about how shitty Red Dead Redemption or something is.
That being said, I'm not sure who's been telling you that TR2 is the best in the series, but that's kind of a silly sentiment to me. Personal preferences and all that, sure, but TR2 was pretty obviously kind of a hastily-churned-out sequel after the first game was so popular, and it shows. I agree with Peter though, The Last Revelation was easily the best. Been meaning to replay it actually.
by OL
Fri May 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

See, but you're looking at it with a modern perspective, having experienced analog movement in the intervening years. That's my point. Back then , most reviews might've stated that the controls take getting used to, sure, but there wasn't much else to weigh it against, so they weren't thought of as poor. In its time, the controls weren't "shitty" at all. They were actually really progressive, and help get us further to the more user-friendly stuff we play now.
by OL
Fri May 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumor: Microsoft set to buy Silent Hills from Konami

Also, side note, but I swear Axm had the same Avatar that sand4fish has now (at some point) and I keep mistaking every single one of his posts for Axm.

Oh I apologize. Should I change my avatar? I didn't know somebody else here had it already.
No its cool. I grant you permission. I change my avatar too much anyways. Cant say its really mine.
by Axm
Sat May 30, 2015 6:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old Shenmue 2 Live Action Japanese Commercial

sand4fish wrote:PS. I would post the video directly, but the URL is not supported.

They're on YouTube as you see in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33360
by Kiyuu
Sat May 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JunE3 "How we can make a bigger difference?"

***LET's make this the best #SaveShenmue Tweethaton ever!***

<<<Sharing= Raising Awareness #Shenmue3 #ShenmueHD>>>

R-tweet to help even more> http://tinyurl.com/ngj6wp5

(((With #E3 around, usually we get heard more)))

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGh2lcQUkAArb35.jpg:large

Remember E3 2014, when this guy responded to my tweet after show?

https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/476285991255175168

#SaveShenmue #E32015

[Btw the attached version has a slightly different write up]

*Flies*
by alimn
Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

I'm done with the show if what happened in end of this season finale will remain the way it is. I understand they are trying to go "as would happen in real life" route, but for that I got the news... thank you. Proper storytelling has resolution for their characters, not make them "disappear" whenever their story arch gets complex or just for the sake of shock value.

That's pretty much how Game of Thrones is. It's like George R.R. Martin doesn't know how to conclude something so he just gets rid of characters so he doesn't have to. I first started noticing this shit with the death of Rob Stark and when I realized that season 2 (or book 2) was essentially a big waste of time.
by Thief
Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

^ it's a formula that works while the show is running -- since there's always something exciting going on -- but it's ultimately going to lead to a pretty poor conclusion, I'd guess.
by Thief
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No longer is Shenmue considered a joke

You know what the best part of this is? Every few years I go back to Shenmue Dojo and re-read the Shenmue III section and I just want more but there's no answers. There was always uncertainty of it just never happening and I gave up on it a long time ago. But with this announcement, I saw Yu actually talking about Shenmue III. Like, it existed. For real. I couldn't fathom and I still can't fathom it because for so long we have been left in the dark, toyed with, trolled, and it just feels good to get actual answers from Yu.

Moreover, it feels great actually getting recognition from the gaming community. Shenmue fans for years have been the butt of gamings jokes. You know what it feels like when your favorite game is literally a joke to most people? After Yu's amazing retrospective on Shenmue 1 at GDC, the amount of sheer disrespect during the Q&A towards this gaming legend was enough to make me angry and I could barely finish watching it. But right now, it's no longer a joke. You don't have assholes like Jeff Gertsmann being fucking assholes about Shenmue, because now they've finally learned to shut the fuck up like God intended. But here we are, and Shenmue is smashing Kickstarter records and shit. It just feels really good for the community to have our back and to be happy for us and for Shenmue - one of the most influential games ever made - to be not be treated as a joke and finally get its just recognition.

Today fucking owned.
by Himuro
Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

Personally, I'd like them to retain the "press trigger and steer" method of movement. So many others seem to want basic analog movement, but that would kill a lot of the feel of the original games. I love that Shenmue had its own way of walking, of all things.
by OL
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dojo and Shenmue Community linked on the OFFICIAL SITE

One of the proudest things i have ever seen. Thank you Yu for acknowledging the community!

http://shenmue.link/us-en/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11257739_10153420809657269_2528854018526807156_n.jpg?oh=351e42785ac7ecc01a2f6154d23a4a3a&oe=55EF7B4D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11427699_10153420809742269_1983519829995904545_n.jpg?oh=154735bd0cc38a9ee7f034253475872c&oe=562931AD

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11407240_10153420809772269_8740303766061667830_n.jpg?oh=d55e840d450ec04ee88159c2d6d86db5&oe=5630EE1F

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391322_10153420809812269_6660361130253710408_n.jpg?oh=c9726a1c2ad98f59c44362d88f4edb36&oe=5632ED2D

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11391571_10153420809862269_5843973390018055457_n.jpg?oh=0ac732c7c832b1b8ccbc1c549cf09a66&oe=55FC6091
by Peter
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

someone needs to tell Suzuki to make S3 with japanese voices actors with english subs!

still cant believe after all this time, its happening & its real. :-o

The original Japanese Ryo is listed as part of the team on the Kickstarter page :)

Yep, and I would like to know who's the fella who snagged his cool Ryo jacket! Hope it's someone from this forum. :D
The guy accidently bought the jacket. He only meant to donate a few bucks! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063867
by Taren Fox
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

There's this FAQ now:

Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?
Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Will there be a physical copy reward for PS4?
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network.

Is this game affiliated with SEGA?
SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license.

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?
The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.
by Thief
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

To celebrate the announcement, I've decided to relaunch the podcast.
Everyone check it out and enjoy.
I hope to expand and make it a real community venture.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47716
by Axm
Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who's going to finally play/beat Shenmue II?

With all the news, the complete notebook walkthrough has been delayed. It's been completed to 100%, it's just it's over 10,000 words of a guide and I recon I have about 60,000 locked in. Hopefully I will have it finished ASAP.
by Peter
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The two million collected should be only a small part of the final budget of the game - the previous Shenmue had cost tens of dollars millilons. Sony declined to clarify whether it could take on the role of editor of the project, but is committed to "support" Shenmue III. Raised on the exact meaning of this support, Mr. House said that Sony "will finance" the game. If the budget is unknown, no doubt he will exceed by far the amount collected on KickStarter.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2015/06/16/jeux-video-shenmue-iii-le-financement-qui-fait-polemique_4654922_4408996.html

Google translated.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

I didn't play Shenmue 1 or 2 14 years go.

I played them in 2006. :p

But, since I did play them? My grandma and grandpa died (different sides of the family, so everyone was affected) around Christmas in 2006. It was the worst Christmas I ever had and its been had for me to enjoy the holiday ever since.

I graduated college.

I got a job, dated people.

I started exploring my sexuality more and managed to admit to myself I like men while also realizing I was transgender. I later transitioned from male to female.

I've focused on my art heavily to achieve my dream of working in animation and so far, let's just say, that goal is going well so far. :)

Next up? Moving to LA. \:D/
by Himuro
Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Graduated high school. Completed some college. Bounced around from a few jobs. Both my grandparents died in the same week :( . My Celtics won the NBA Finals in 2008. Became involved in my first serious relationship. Sadly got addicted to opiate painkillers :/ what a rough road that's been. Recovery is a bitch. And by the time III comes out I'll be 29 or 30.
by JaySw34
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

French interview of Yu Suzuki :) Arcade room stretch goal!

Hey everyone it's been a long time,
I'm translating right now some information to you, they are from this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKb0vtQz8xo

At 1:01 : The announcement was very exciting, Shenmue 3 will be the direct sequel to Shenmue 2 ... (He makes a joke about ryo not being in the game.) Suzuki said the dog from later Shenmue could be replaced by a bear or a goat.

At 1:55 : Suzuki said that there were lots of big announcement at Sony conference and he was wondering if Shenmue 3 would have the same welcome applause as the others ... When he heard the applause, he was confident of the warm welcome of Shenmue 3

At 2:24 : Speaking about the idea of the kickstarter (the idea was almost launch by the interviewer) he said it is Ryan Payton that gave him the idea...

At 2:50 : "Does Shenmue 3 will contain arcade games ?"

Answer : "It is a very good idea indeed, I thought about it without taking a final decision. BUT There is an arcade room that will be added to the stretch goal of the kickstarter campaign. So it is a possibility" !

- At 3:43 it is asked : "What was Sega's role ?"

Answer : "they gave us all we needed about episode 1 and 2 for Shenmue 3 conception. And as I'm still advisor at Sega we have a strong trust relationship."

- At 4:10 : "About E3 footage"

Answer : "this is the actual game, we are using Unreal Engine 4 to build the game. It is still a prototype but what you saw was not a movie or a video but actual gameplay"

- At 4:30 : "About Cédric Biscay role"

Answer : "Cédric understand Japanese culture very well, through animes, video game and japanese cinema. He and his company help us to link Japan to the rest of the world, specifically Europe where he will do the marketing of the game."

- At 5:00 Interviewer ask Cedric Biscay : "How you were involved with the creation of Shenmue 3 ?"

Answer : "I'm a huge fan of Shenmue and we simply spoke about it the first time we met and as weird as it seemed, we were involved in it"

Question : "You business is french and you were like the leader that made Shenmue possible ?"

Answer : "Well i must stay humble but reality is that we were the starting point and it is important to say that the company is from Monaco, not France. We have now a branch in Japan so it is a great opportunity for us. it is been 13 years that we worked with Japan."

Question : "Can you tell us more about your role even if Suzuki san already told us a little bit ?"

Answer : "I'm in charge to found part of the funding, to promote the game and all the PC port also. it is a lot of work.

At 6:33 : "Do we have an estimation for the shipping date of the game ?"

Aswer : "So, the date is now December 2017 if everything is ok and we have no delay in production. We know that giving a date is a source of delay but for now, there is no issue on this side."

At 7:16 They said that they will see each other again at the MAGIC the 02/27/2015 Suzuki will be invited as the video game honor guest.
by Shenman
Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ideas to help the Kickstarter campaign

We need to work on this! Contact Rocco!

I posted this on the Kickstarter comment section. Agree/Disagree?

Thank you Yu, and everyone else involved doing this. However, there's a lot of confusion with this Kickstarter. I think you guys are unknowingly damaging the potential for the Kickstarter. Besides revealing Sony's involvement on the first day of the Kickstarter, giving people the idea that there is no more need to back it on Kickstarter because a big company like Sony is supporting it, there's also a lot of vagueness in relation to the stretch goals.

For example, what exactly is Raport? What is the Skill Tree? What are Character Perspectives? No one knows or understands, and this vagueness leaves doubts not only on your potential backers but current backers. Could you further expound upon these features?

Finally, why isn't Yu doing interviews all over the place for the Kickstarter to give information? There was a French interview on Youtube, but not one available in English. A lot of the marketing so far is scattershot and unorganized. Please do better. Thank you, a grateful Shenmue fan.

Just be a total slut for 30 days. Try and get interviewed by everyone and get news sites posting about Shenmue. Yu needs to get in the public light similar to how other Kickstarter project leaders have. Get more developers to make videos about why they love Shenmue, plenty of people have said they love it over the years in interviews. Get someone in the team to interview Yu and put it on the Kickstarter page and drop them every few days. Interviews should have been arranged weeks ago for every major gaming news outlet. I can imagine Yu will just go back to Japan after E3 and we won't hear from him again for months.

Make it clear what these S I&II scenes are. If it's like Shenmue the movie let people know so it doesn't put people off who have never played the series and that they can catch up. Nowhere on the Kickstarter page does it sound welcoming at all to newcomers to the series.

Do a let's play of certain sections of the original Shenmue. In these Yu could just speak about making the game and the history at SEGA. Let's plays aren't my cup of tea but people go crazy for them. Add a tier where you get a monthy skype session or online Q&A's with members of the team working on the games.

Get an english twitter account similar to what Kojima has. The Japansese audience is very small compared to America and America has the biggest funding potential. Only starting to use Twitter again about a day before E3 was silly. This isn't like the FFVII announcement where it's a nice surprise. For a Kickstarter that only lasts 30 days you should be teasing it for quite awhile.

Don't announce you'll do shows like the one in Monoco. Announce stretch goals that you will go to places like PAX, Tokyo Game Show, Playstation Experiance and Gamecom. No one outside of the core people who already have donated will care about seeing a game at an anime convention in Monoco. A tier could be made that if you donate enough you get access to a special Q&A with Yu or early hands on time with the game at Pax would bring in some extra money. If people are willing to pay £10,000 and also pay to fly to Tokyo to have dinner with the guy they'll do it if they don't have to pay to fly and his coming to PAX so extra dinners is something.

Include tiers like letting people voice a character or to let them name something in a tier between the $500-$10,000. You're letting people include their name in the credits why not let some people add a message next to their name for a few extra dollars to get a few people to up their pledge. Heck for even more money get your photo in the credits. Include a tier where people can have themselves made into a toy capsule Ryo can collect.

The toy capsules replicas are great but have a donation pledge to get replicas of the mirrors. Make them a decent quality so you can ask for more to get them.

The Double Fine team did a documentary about making the game that certain backers got access to. The Shenmue III story will be one people want to watch.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47619&p=1090026#p1089927

FUck yeah, a let's play commentated by Yu Suzuki would be incredible.

Gametrailers is doing one of Shenmue II, would be awesome to see Huber, Yu Suzuki, Rocco from mega64, or some guys hyping the shit of Shenmue for people that haven't played it.

The whole 70 man battle scenes, the third disk of shenmue II, the ending.

Don't make it 1 hour long, but something like 15 minutes hyping the shit out of the game.

+1 to the mirrors replicas.

The documentary is great, but actually quite expensive, DF hurted a lot, it was awesome (even more so than the actual game), but just saying "exclusive making of videos for X tier backers" would be great.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47619&p=1090026#p1089941
by Himuro
Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

This is Reddit's IamA sub-reddit, although Yu Suzuki doesn't seem to appear on the calender schedule at the side...either it's gonna be another sub-rebbit he appears on, or it's just going to be a submitted spontenaous post...
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wasn't sure where to post this but somebody has made some neat banners (I'm not sure who but I found them in the kickstarter comments. I'm sorry if they've already been posted). They're rather eye-catching so people might find them useful to share around.

https://imgur.com/a/ZrG4b
by Set12
Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So they collect the money when the kickstarter ends right? Which would give me until 28 days from now, its doable, but feck I wasnt expecting to have to spend this money right now, but I absolutely feel as if I must.
Atleast put down $29 you peasant.
;)
But for real.. just $29 right now and then you can raise it to whatever tier you want later on before it closes.
So you can do $29 right now then 60 next week then 120 and then 500 then $10,000 like a real man.
by Axm
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is my first and probably only time using Kickstarter. It's Shenmue 3 so it's getting all I have.
by Peter
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Peter, they have had 14 years to prepare for Shenmue III and this game is nowhere on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. It is coasting on good will of Shenmue fans.

This isn't a "bandwagon of negativity". This is being realistic. The game has been funded, but at the current trajectory, the game may bomb. Emphasis on may. They are doing an awful job here, and your "only positive thoughts" schtick isn't helping. It is not only unrealistic, it comes across as highly naive and boyish.

Let's be honest here, Peter. They are having an AMA on Reddit when most people are busy doing things or are asleep, and you're completely fine with it. They could offer poop in a box as a Tier Reward and you would be fine with it.

There's a difference between "negativity" and objectivity. Any and all criticisms thrown towards this Kickstarter campaign in this thread are all objective and factual.
by Himuro
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I admit it was a bit cheeky and might be against the rules but I just posted on PewDiePie's channel under the 'discussion' tab. I just thought it has the potential to reach a large audience, even if they only check out the kickstarter page it's a start. You have to set it to view recent comments instead of most popular by the way. Keep the suggestions coming! :)
by MJC The Great
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm trying to keep the 3rd of the month thunderclap going, except this time encouraging people to add $30 to their pledge. Check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47801
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm going to bed. Great night, Dojo. We did a great job! Keep the answers updated!
by Himuro
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just doubled my pledge ($60 reward to $120 reward). It's all I can afford. I don't know what else I can do other than get the word out there and promote it.

Unfortunately, the kickstarter is slowing down. It's too be expected, as more or less everyone who wanted Shenmue 3 and would have pledged, did so on the day the campaign launched. That's just how it works. More casual fans and those who haven't played the series (but might be curious), would be more reluctant about backing a kickstarter. Unfortunately, I don't think the cynical (and almost negative) press has helped at all! It's really quite infuriating, as it's created this idea amongst the general public that the kickstarter campaign is just a PR stunt and a way of gauging interest and that Sony and other investors will actually be footing the bill. This is obviously not true and funding is needed from the kickstarter.

Hopefully, by offering some new reward tiers, it will boost interest and offer an incentive to those who have already pledged, to up their pledge.
by Reprise
Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just tweeted it out and will keep doing so frequently on my Twitter account. Hopefully I can gather pledges that way. Also as a Youtuber I will be mentioning it at the beginning of my next video and in my streams that I do daily.

I have 153k followers on twitter and over 400k subscribers on Youtube. Hope I can help as much as I can as this for me is a dream come true. I've also pledged $500 and will probably pledge more once higher options are available.

http://s9.postimg.org/fw20345fj/a916a0b8e54d9fa3d86c1acdb15eac02.png
by itani
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Twitch streaming Let's Play promotion threa

I've contacted Himuro to start using Shenmue Dojo's own Twitch channel. So be sure you all tune in at 7pm Central time.

http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
by Ziming
Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

I can't believe people still care about things such as time to install, having a box, etc when we are talking about FUCKING SHENMUE III!! Man, how quick the dust settles... Go back to the cave, take some time to look at the no exit sign, then come back and discuss preference. Pledge or gtfo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Yama
Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

Thief wrote: Ok, let's be real here for a second.

The reality here is 14 years since the last title. There's no real excuse for anyone claiming to love Shenmue not to pledge at least something to keep the franchise alive.
by Sonoshee
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Just wanted to let you all know that I run an extremely popular blog on the Tumblr platform and I have just written a long piece about why Shenmue matters. The piece has already gotten about 190 notes and has jumped to the top of the Shenmue, Sony, E3, and PS4 tags on Tumblr. It is also near the top of the Gaming and Video Games tags.

Wanted to set the tone of Shenmue discussion in a positive way.

Thought the folks at the Dojo might enjoy what I wrote...
http://cinemagorgeous.com/post/122099238480/shenmue
by Erevador
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who is this old man....

Nice that you are having such conversations about Grand Masters. Happy that I could share Entei, Gentei and Koutei and the Grand Masters with you via my interview with Yu Suzuki last year.

Good things are coming. Can't wait for Shenmue III !
by DEVILLE_David
Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Panic (Yet)

Which is why it's so disheartening to think it could be doing a lot better. *sigh*.....
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Day Shenmue 3's Announcement Blew The World

More mementos

The moment Shenmue 3 crashed Kickstarter:
http://i.imgur.com/4793sAj.jpg

Shenmue 3 (and シェンムー3) was a top worldwide trend on Twitter for several hours:
http://i.imgur.com/5rda5e5.png http://i.imgur.com/qPBQZJ5.png http://i.imgur.com/UsFAg2N.png http://i.imgur.com/PMenH5y.png

Also a top trend on Facebook:
http://i.imgur.com/N4GttTA.jpg
by Giorgio
Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How much will you sacrifice to get Shenmue 3 to $10,000,000

Shenmue 3 could not have been announced at a worse time for me seeing how I just built a $1500 gaming PC back in May, I have 4 cavities that need to be filled, I need new glasses soon, and I have a $200 tech certification exam to pay for next week. However in order to fund the $550 dollar pledge I've already made and the additional $500 to $1000 I will drop on this KS before it ends, I have had to result to doing something I told myself I'd only do in case of an emergency; sell part of my video game collection off.

In order to cover my current pledge I don't have to sell off too much, mostly just a few CIB consoles I have and I complete Steel Battalion on XBOX. However to get an additional $500 I am going to have to start selling games off and sadly the first to go will be NES and SNES games because of how valuable a lot of them are. It pains me to do this, but it will pain me more if I let the KS go by without doing all that I can to help the project become Yu Suzuki's ultimate vision of what he wants Shenmue 3 to be.

So what sacrifices have you made or will you make in order to help fund Shenmue and get it to it's $10,000,000 goal?
by bikingjehuty
Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

At teh end of the day AJ can only put up the information they are given from Yu and his team

Then what's the point in Awesome Japan being there is they just copy and paste what they're given? As a company leading this they should be looking too make as much content as possible, Poking Yu for as much as he can give and getting the fans involved.

Or you know they can wait for Yu too write a statement and click publish for him...

Or better yet, why they just don't use the material or ideas we have provided so far? It's all over the net! They could care a bit more by browsing the Shenmue community forums and other social media related stuff at least.
For people who's job is to promote stuff their social accounts are ridiculously underwhelming.

Just look at their twitter account despite being a company that have promoted 13 kickstarters https://twitter.com/AWESOMEACADEMY1 no wonder half of them failed. Even I have a bigger outreach on social media than these clowns.
by south carmain
Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Physical PS4 Copy Reward Added!!!

They should have charged it for more...

They shouldn't have. A lot of people have only pledged the initial 29 because there was no ps4 physical version. With a retail physical version available people are going to be pledging 30 dollars more. Charging 100 or something wouldn't be fair at all.
I agree with sand4fish.

Must cost more to physically manufacture the ps4 copy over PC so I think most people waiting for this would've expected and understood a $10/20 increase to 'upgrade' as it were to ps4 copy.
by joka
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

If anyone here thinks the level of magic will go DOWN as the story progresses get your dissapointment out of the way now. Shenmue was never ment to be a simple story nor an unispired constantly grounded game.
I fear many of the fans out there who think this plainly will be in for a suprise and ill be here saying I told you so.
If anyone here thinks the level of magic will go DOWN as the story progresses get your dissapointment out of the way now. Shenmue was never ment to be a simple story nor an unispired constantly grounded game.
I fear many of the fans out there who think this plainly will be in for a suprise and ill be here saying I told you so.

I've posited this about Shenmue III for years. I wonder if many fans who are unaware of the game will think that the super natural elements are added merely to try and appeal to a wider audience, never knowing they were always planned from the get-go. I can see some potential faux backlash in the future over this from clueless types lol.

Yes.
And at the same time for others...

Dont expect anything near Shenmue Online levels of rediculousness. That was obviously an exageration for the purpose of making an MMO that apeals to Chinese people that play WoW.
by Axm
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $20,000 pledge for the future of our Guilin school.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

We have received an unimaginable amount of press over this. Most good, some bad. There are some places that seem to think we took food from the mouths of the kids and gave the money instead to the game.

http://n4g.com/news/1754367/chinese-school-for-underprivileged-kids-pledges-20-000-to-shenmue-3-kickstarter

We were made aware of this place a few minutes ago. My brother decided to respond to these people.. This is just one of several places giving us bad press.

All the outside money we receive goes to the kids. All advertising costs come from my brother and I. We have spent plenty of money in advertising over the years but none has ever got us the exposure we have received now. All the advertising we did in the past only got to western parts of China, now we have been getting attention not just in ALL of China, but globally. The best part is the money we spent didn't go to some large marketing corporation but to Shenmue and dinner with Y'S. It was the smartest decision we ever made.

We have been getting ton's of gaming sites in China trying to interview us. We have been on the news in Guilin (5M people). Even Eurogamer.net posted our story on Twitter a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer

I'm having a hard time with the criticism, frankly. I have only had the intention of helping the school. I wish people would look at this and think about giving of their time and energy to helping others but some people only live to hate and criticize. If people are thinking we are spending our money unwisely, let's hear what they are doing to help the world and what better ways they are spending their money on charity...
by wdrpgwd
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic