Search found 22 matches

Return

Re: How does shenmue hold up today?

I have a unique perspective on this I think, since I am just now playing Shenmue for the first time! After years of wanting to play the game (ever since I saw it on reviewed on Tech TV when it came out), I finally bought a Dreamcast in order to play the game. I'm really blown away with this game. So much about this game feels ahead of it's time, to the extent that I'm left feeling that some of the things being done by modern games like HEAVY RAIN where being done by Shenmue ten years earlier quite well.

The scope of the game and the depth of it are so impressive to me. I think it's aged magnficently because rather than focusing on MACRO-DETAIL (like say... GTA III, or Elder Scrolls, which attempted to simulate a giant world, but with a lack of detail in individual elements of that world) it focuses on MICRO-DETAIL. Every little thing you pick up is thoughtfully constructed. It's such an unusual game. It joins the rare club of older games (like Silent Hill 2, for example) that I feel haven't aged at all. There are still no other games quite like Shenmue.

I'm in love with this game. I have Shenmue II ready to go on the original Xbox when I beat this one.
by Erevador
Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue In The Media

I think this article on Kotaku is very notable...
http://kotaku.com/shenmue-fans-sure-are-crazy-1500240326

Kotaku is one of the most widely read gaming blogs on the net, so a lot of people just had Shenmue and the possibility of Shenmue 3 brought to their minds. This is exactly the kind of conversation that I think those of us who want to see Shenmue 3 happen really need to encourage!
by Erevador
Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Just wanted to let you all know that I run an extremely popular blog on the Tumblr platform and I have just written a long piece about why Shenmue matters. The piece has already gotten about 190 notes and has jumped to the top of the Shenmue, Sony, E3, and PS4 tags on Tumblr. It is also near the top of the Gaming and Video Games tags.

Wanted to set the tone of Shenmue discussion in a positive way.

Thought the folks at the Dojo might enjoy what I wrote...
http://cinemagorgeous.com/post/122099238480/shenmue
by Erevador
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creator Says Sony Won't See a Cent of Kickstarter - Gamespot

New article up on GameSpot. Provides clarification, which is great for getting the word out to the masses and diffusing ill-founded hysteria.

Anyone with a Gamespot account should upvote this and help it reach the "popular" section of the gamespot front page.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-3-creator-says-sonys-wont-see-a-cent-of-ki/1100-6428436/
by Erevador
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creator Says Sony Won't See a Cent of Kickstarter - Game

Gamespot just tweeted the article out. Re-tweeting it like wild will help it reach more people and show up near top of twitter results.

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/614015393322168322

EDIT: Article just retweeted by Shuhei Yoshida to his 181k followers. A good sign that this is the official word from Sony.
by Erevador
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

3AM UK time kinda sucks. I know it's the morning for Japan but it makes sense for Yu to do it of a night so more people in the west watch.

It's 3am? Ugh, even worse. At least it's not too late for the American audiences.
Definitely prime-time here on the West Coast in the US.

Looking forward to it! I think this is the best thing to happen to the campaign since the jacket. Hope it makes the front page of Twitch!
by Erevador
Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should we contact Fangamer?

Bringing this thread back, because... you've seen the Twitch stream. Awesome Japan... there are no words.

I went to the Fangamer website and sent them a message in the chat section letting them know I would LOVE to see them take a more active role on the Shenmue Kickstarter and bring their expertise to bear on it.
by Erevador
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

I have the theory that once the Kickstarter ends at whatever final amount, Sony is going to swoop in a say "Because you are all so passionate about the series and we want it to be successful too, we are going to match the funds of the Kickstarter 1:1."
So then ~6 million will turn into 12..
But that's just my wonderful ideal theory. Sony looked pretty happy to parade this game all over E3 for us. I dont think they want to see it fail before it even begins.
My hope is that Sony just quietly supports the game behind the scenes, and makes sure Yu has the money he needs to deliver. It is very possible they could end up doing what you're describing, but without any fanfare, just to make sure the game turns out great.

Shenmue has already made a big splash for them, they want it to be well received. 6 million is chump change to Sony.
by Erevador
Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The KS is a huge success and we shouldn't be discouraged

I am genuinely astounded by the level of negativity on here. I am very hyped we will finally be getting Shenmue III.
I think everyone here is THRILLED about finally getting Shenmue III, but also aware that we have a very limited window of time to make a difference and get as much funding for Yu as we can.

I'm personally impressed and proud of the level of engagement the fanbase is showing. Aspects of the campaign that may be lacking are being addressed and supplemented by fan efforts.

Honestly, you guys are all an amazing community of people and I am proud to be among you.
by Erevador
Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kavinsky just FACEBOOKED & TWEETED the Shenmue Kickstarter!

EDIT: PUTTING THIS FIRST SINCE THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TWITTER.
He just posted it on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/KavinskyOfficial/posts/10153410709762365

It is vital that everyone LIKE this on facebook and share it on your pages.

Kavinsky has 439,878 followers on facebook.

Posts with more likes will show up on more dashboards.

This is an incredible opportunity to boost the campaign. Don't waste it!

Hop on twitter and thank him! And be sure to retweet this to help this tweet go big.

https://twitter.com/iamKAVINSKY/status/616967431274278912

You may know Kavinsky from his music featured in DRIVE. He named an album Outrun, so he's clearly been a Suzuki fan for a long time.

EDIT: Just followed up his first tweet with this.

I should go home. Ine-san will be worried about me.
Amazing!
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. SOMEONE GIVE GAF THESE LINKS

My polite exchange in the comments with the guy who wrote that article...

Needless to say, my comments have a lot more likes than his do.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have talked to Jason Schreier, News Editor of Kotaku about this. He is now posting in the Shenmue thread on GAF. He's not happy about this article at all. Apparently the staff is off this weekend and so this post did not go through normal editorial review process.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It should be emphasized that Shenmue fans have the moral high ground in this debate, and nobody should sacrifice it by personally insulting this guy or being mean to him. This low quality journalism probably already has him in hot water.

The focus should be on being positive, being truthful, and helping foster fairer and more upbeat coverage in the future.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku

Jackie Fhan wrote: link removed

Nope. I'd delete that tweet if I were you. Trolling a troll is giving them what they want.

Better to be the bigger person and let these people embarrass themselves.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

30 on the 3rd: A Roaring Success

I think this was the best day this community has ever seen. What a display of discipline, effort, and enthusiasm.

1. 335,960 dollars in one day.
2. 1276 new backers in one day.
3. Twice as many Kickstarter comments as any previous day.
4. Love from Kavinsky.
5. Peter's dreams of meeting Suzuki came true.
6. Kotaku tried to go negative, but their own news editor called the writer out for it in the comments. Upbeat rebuttals dominated the comment section. The tide of public opinion has turned.
7. Apologies from Awesome Japan and much better handling of everything today. Cedric Biscay heard us, and continues to engage with the community.
8. Great new tiers. Limited ones are selling out. Physical PS4 copy was a game-changer.
9. Unprecedented noise made on Twitter.
10. On the verge (only about 10,000 left, will make by mid-morning on the west coast) of overtaking Torment as the 2nd most funded Kickstarter game ever made.
11. Great Q&A with Yu.
12. Have had bunch of people saying to me on GAF today that even though they haven't played Shenmue, the fan passion has inspired them to pledge for the game.

You are all incredible. This is an amazing moment.
by Erevador
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku

LINK TO STUPID TWEET

a bit mean, but let's show him how it feels to judge a book "or game" by it's cover
Nope. I'd delete that tweet if I were you. Trolling a troll is giving them what they want.

Better to be the bigger person and let these people embarrass themselves.

I agree, you should delete it.

Also Erevador, your post on Kotaku was a very well written response. Good job.
I think we should be clear that our community does not promote or approve of any sort of bullying tactics, even against those who write nonsense. This is about building something constructive and coming together to make a beautiful work of art. Insulting people is not in the spirit of that, no matter what.

Allowing these people to feel that they are in fact the victim in the situation is giving them what they want, and allows them to feel they are on some righteous crusade, rather than just participating in petty concern trolling.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 30 on the 3rd: A Roaring Success

12. Have had bunch of people saying to me on GAF today that even though they haven't played Shenmue, the fan passion has inspired them to pledge for the game.

Link?
Here are just a few of such posts. There are a bunch more...
https://41.media.tumblr.com/c3b20fbe197b6fc3163bc952459c197d/tumblr_nqzfumDvh91tyym0to1_1280.jpg
by Erevador
Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Topic revamped

Huge thanks. On behalf of Shenmue GAF, you did a wonderful job punching up the look of the original post.
by Erevador
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Road to #1 Most Successful Kickstarter Game

They need to add some stretch goals between $5.1m and $6m. That's too wide of a gap to not have one.
I agree, this is something that definitely needs to be addressed. That gap is way too high.

This is definitely something everyone should tweet Cedric about, asking for more stretch goals (they can be simple and cosmetic) between 5 and 6 million.
by Erevador
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mega Man: Shenmue

Submitted to r/gaming on reddit.

Encourage everyone to upvote the post and help it reach the front page of r/gaming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3d1mn1/what_if_shenmue_played_like_mega_man/
by Erevador
Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Fan-Made Shenmue HD Remaster video by Kid Nocon

Let's get this guy a job on Shenmue III.
by Erevador
Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The miracle of Shenmue III

Has been beautiful to watch this incredible fan community band together and power this campaign to the finish line.

I am grateful to everyone who put in the work to make this Kickstarter such a roaring success.
by Erevador
Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic