Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

GTTV got served with that one..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Thief wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_dtZm7KwT0[/youtube]

Someone needs to add the exclamation mark noise to the part at the end when he bugs his eyes out.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Been playing some Rising last couple days. It's excellent. At first when I didn't know what the hell I was doing (the game is not always very forthcoming with explanations of how to play properly), I wasn't really all that sure about it, but then I started actually learning, and now I feel like a cybernetic ninja GOD. I'm really enjoying how over the top everything is. I'm not finding the camera to be too big an issue so far either to be honest.

Oh, but I've just started trying to buy some new skills, and I've bought one (the side step), but the game hasn't explained to me how to use the flipping thing. Am I just supposed to figure it out by myself?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 pm

I see that alot but the game actually gives you all the information you need in 1 line that everyone seems to ignore.

"Let enemies come to you, pay attention and Parry"

The game actually tells you how to do everything in the tutorials and VR missions, its just most people just click through thinking "Hit Tri and Square, got it" but this ain't no god of war, jamming out on buttons is not the way to go.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I see that alot but the game actually gives you all the information you need in 1 line that everyone seems to ignore.

"Let enemies come to you, pay attention and Parry"

Huh, what does that explain though? How to side step? I've been parrying loads and I still haven't side stepped haha! Like you said the game does actually give you a tutorial for most things, but you can easily not notice them at first. It was hours before I even realised I could use sub weapons!

Still I'm really enjoying it. It's certainly on par with Vanquish in terms of rawly brilliant action, if fact, I might even be enjoying it a little bit more. So many nice little touches.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 am

Its in the parrying tutorial right at the start.

I'm kind of excited to see the wolf and Sam DLC, apparently you get to play as them, which finally fills the promise of Friender-ship made in Vanquish.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:19 am

mue: Sidestepping requires you to press A + X (X + Square for PS3) together plus a direction in the place you want to dodge. You can pause the game and take a look at the Help option to see how to pull off the moves you bought. The sidestep is particularly handy when it comes to avoiding enemies who turn gold, indicating they're doing a throw, and also works like Bayonetta where you can side step mid-combo and then finish that combo afterwards.

I finished Metal Gear Rising!! Its such a good game. My only gripes are the camera, which has absolutely gone crazy at times, and it messed up my parrying. The other gripe is the somewhat limited move set. Any weapons you get from bosses replaces your swords heavy attack when it might have been better to map that weapon to another button in combat so it gives you more options for combos. But again, it's a minor thing.

The rest of the game is fantastic. The campaign is short but I took my time with it. I wish there was more but only because it was that good. And those boss battles! It's definitely a Metal Gear game in that it has amazing boss battles, with the end boss being suitably epic. I've seen a few people complain about it, saying it's too hard but I never felt that way. It was challenging as an end boss should be, but when I heard it was unfairly hard I was expecting a one hit kill move or something but..nope. It was a long fight that has you using all the skills you've learned and keeps it varied for an end boss fight. It's ridiculous, over the top, exciting and has shades of Fist of the North Star thrown in there too (that makes me wish they would make a FOTN game someday). I loved it.

Definately not finished with the game either. I'm already back in aiming to buy all enhancements, get S rank in missions, multiple difficulties, finding and getting gold on VR missions and collectibles to find. And not to forget the DLC with more VR missions and campaign stuff with a playable Jetstream Sam and Blade Wolf. Love it.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm

^Feel exactly the same way. Easily my favourite Metal Gear this gen (alongside AC!D 2).

The last boss battle is absolutely the best final boss battle this gen, in that he's actually a challenge and his dialogue is just great. I am so looking forward to the DLC for Sam and Bladewolf.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: ThyDarkAngel, Tuffty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm

^ Definately, the dialogue is great, some real quotes you can lift out of there including one genuine laugh out loud moment.
NANOMACHINES, SON!

Tuffty has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:30 pm

"You know what? Fuck this war, I just want to see you dead!"

"Hahaha, this is the best fight of my life!"

My favourite:
"I have a dream! Where every man is free to think and act for himself. Fuck all these limp-dick lawyers and chicken-shit bureaucrats!" Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! Fuck "American pride!" Fuck the media! Fuck all of it"

"America is diseased. Rotten to core. There's no saving it. We need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. Burn IT DOWN!"

"Don't fuck with this Senator!"

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: ThyDarkAngel, Tuffty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 pm

"If America's gone to shit, then you're just another maggot in the pile."
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Tuffty wrote:
"If America's gone to shit, then you're just another maggot in the pile."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMeqlyORegg[/youtube]

TMNT!

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby redline » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:05 am

there will be a live mgs5 event on gamespot.com with hideo kojima on the Mar 27, 2013 -

uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=the-core-of-mgs-ground-zeroes-20130327
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 am

Theres also a kojima talk on the 27th
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 am

Well I beat Metal Gear Solid 4 and well... i'll use spoilers just in case
it was a lot better than I expected it to be. For one thing the gameplay is top notch, especially the boss battles (minus vamp because blarghghgh how the hell was I supposed to know what to do?! Waste my time will ya). Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf had me genuinely freaked out when I was playing, and piloting Metal Gear REX? Hell yeah! I put on "The Best Is Yet To Come" on the in-game ipod and owned the crap out of Metal Gear RAY.

The story was kind of hit and miss for me. I like some of the ideas but it really failed in execution. Some of the scenes were so incredibly pointless and reaaaaaalllly cheesy. For example, some random scene between those two other guys in Meryl's squad, "We were great partners" "no... great friends" :roll: In fact pretty much everything to do with Meryl and her squad and Roy Cambell, et cetera, made me want to blow my brains out. Especially the part with Akiba and Meryl killing a bajillion FROGs and asking eachother to marry them. Blargh. So many scenes in this game just weren't necessary. "Mei Ling, please comfort me! It's my first time in action!". Yuck!

Two parts I really liked though were the segments with Big Mama and ironically the ending scene with Big Boss (I thought I would've hated this but I guess my memory's awful). They were a bit heavy handed with talk talk talk talk talk but really helped me understand the overarching story with the Ocelot, EVA, Big Boss, Zero thing going on... which is confusing. Snake's overall journey in this game and overall suffering really kind of left a big impact on me for some reason. I felt a sort of overwhelming sadness for his character but an immense respect towards him. There is only really one part (well two but whatever...) in all of Metal Gear that's made me cry and that's this scene:

http://youtu.be/KG2w3q0HlFY?t=25m41s

When Otacon says, "Snake had a hard life. He needs some time to rest" it just gets to me. Both he and Otacon have lived such hard lives and have lost so much, including each other. Their friendship is mostly unspoken but really incredible.

All in all, I feel more positive about Metal Gear Solid 4 than I do negative. I suppose I should move on to Peace Walker now but it honestly feels like such a shift in tone. Metal Gear Solid 4 had such finality to it that playing another game -- one that takes place in 1974 -- just feels so weird.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming