Batman Arkham Origins

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Batman Arkham Origins

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am

Those shots have got to be PC but if Batmans not the Batman we know yet i wonder if they might add day time parts maybe going around as Matches Malone?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

I doubt they like me that much...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 pm

New Arkham game? Black Mask? Assassins? Under utilised villains? Set during Christmas? Sign me the hell up.

Makes me wonder what Rocksteady themselves are up to, though...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

With a bit of luck a follow up to City and i really hope they don't try to force the Joker back into it.
Let him stay dead

I really like the idea of Riddler and Scarecrow being the main villains.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Because if any character needs an origin story, it's Batman right?....

Bambi wrote: It was definitely fun playing as Bats during his peak but I think it will be infinitely more challenging assuming the role of a rookie, if handled properly this has the potential to be the best Arkham game yet.

I agree with you, I think it could be done well but....let's be honest, games don't really do a great job telling origin stories. There's that disconnect between narrative and gameplay that you see in games like AC3, Tomb Raider or the new DmC where logically, the character you are playing as shouldn't be this all powerful badass from the beginning but they are. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be a solid game, but I wouldn't hold my breath about showing off a more inexperienced Batman because the liklehood is you'll be able to fight bad guys just as flawlessly like you have done in the previous two games.

I think there should be more hype around Arkham Origins Blackgate personally. A 2.5D Metroidvania created by a studio founded by those who worked on Metroid Prime? You know there's pedigree there already and the setting and character fits the genre perfectly.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Tuffty wrote: I agree with you, I think it could be done well but....let's be honest, games don't really do a great job telling origin stories. There's that disconnect between narrative and gameplay that you see in games like AC3, Tomb Raider or the new DmC where logically, the character you are playing as shouldn't be this all powerful badass from the beginning but they are.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be a solid game, but I wouldn't hold my breath about showing off a more inexperienced Batman because the liklehood is you'll be able to fight bad guys just as flawlessly like you have done in the previous two games.

That's a really interesting thought. To be able to play a disadvantaged character who is KIND OF good only to get better and better as the game progresses. For that to make more sense, they would have to be time lapses. Otherwise it'd be weird for Bats to not able to do a leapfrog at first then three gameplay hours later he's hopping around like a rabbit on speed.

I think it works better for Supernatural characters.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Tuffty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 pm

^ Exactly! Or have it so that the character is thrown into a difficult situation or comes up against a tough opponent from the beginning of the game, and make it in such a way that you can't win, that he/she has their ass beaten. Make that be impactful to the character by making it a humbling experience, have him or her be scarred or wounded as a result of it. That way they reflect on it and find it within themselves to carry on and get stronger. Let their scar serve as a reminder to him of what they are fighting for and of how they used to be. Then eventually over the course of the game you get stronger and stronger until you are eventually on equal footing if not stronger than ever and have the character redeem himself by stopping the bad guys.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Kenny
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Kenny wrote:That's a really interesting thought. To be able to play a disadvantaged character who is KIND OF good only to get better and better as the game progresses. For that to make more sense, they would have to be time lapses. Otherwise it'd be weird for Bats to not able to do a leapfrog at first then three gameplay hours later he's hopping around like a rabbit on speed.

I think it works better for Supernatural characters.

I would like that.

They kind of tried to do that with Tomb Raider but seemed to have given up on that idea early on as she learns a shit load very quickly and feels like shes always been doing it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm

After killing a man for the first time and grieving in remorse over what she had done, Lara didn't have much problem popping headshots into a whole team of bad guys straight afterwards because the game forces you too.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKksWC64oLc[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm

^BUAHAHA!! :lol:

Tuffty wrote: ^ Exactly! Or have it so that the character is thrown into a difficult situation or comes up against a tough opponent from the beginning of the game, and make it in such a way that you can't win, that he/she has their ass beaten. Make that be impactful to the character by making it a humbling experience, have him or her be scarred or wounded as a result of it. That way they reflect on it and find it within themselves to carry on and get stronger. Let their scar serve as a reminder to him of what they are fighting for and of how they used to be. Then eventually over the course of the game you get stronger and stronger until you are eventually on equal footing if not stronger than ever and have the character redeem himself by stopping the bad guys.

That would create a cool sequence where you have to fight a boss but it's unbeatable. But the longer you're able to withstand it, the quicker you'll be able to learn abilities later on (like counters, leaps, ect). But that would mean you're still in a state of recovery.

So if you lose easily, you're able to fight quickly but learn slower. But if you lose later, you're able to learn faster but fight slower initially. Not sure it's the right way to go about it for a Batman game, but for another game it'd be great.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

This isn't an origin story, it's just his early years, which is the time most people are interested in.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Tuffty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Kenny wrote:That would create a cool sequence where you have to fight a boss but it's unbeatable. But the longer you're able to withstand it, the quicker you'll be able to learn abilities later on (like counters, leaps, ect). But that would mean you're still in a state of recovery.

While it's not an origin story, you've played Revengeance. After the fight with Metal Gear Ray, you feel unstoppable. I mean, Raiden throws the Metal Gear in the air and jumps on missiles. But then you meet Sam and not only does he easily beat Raiden, he cuts his arm off. That then becomes the driving point where Raiden is set out for revenge(ance) and takes the option of getting an all new custom body. That then feeds into the game itself where you get stronger and can do Zandatsu, learn new abilities along the way etc.

MiTT3NZ wrote:This isn't an origin story, it's just his early years, which is the time most people are interested in.

I'm saying that the game can show Batman's inexperience as much as it likes, but you'll still beat up bad guys just as well as the Batman seen in the last two Arkham games.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:08 pm

you've played Revengeance

NOT YET!! I'm going to get the game in a couple of days, so i'll read your comment then!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Who Really Cares?