XBox One[80]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: XBox One : DRM/24hr online policy gone.

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Yama wrote: Certain games were said to require a 24/7 connection due to cloud powering, yet now all games will be playable offline? So cloud computing suddenly isn't a necessity

Certain games will still be always online. I've not been keeping up with it but I think Destiny is a always online game. The only games this policy change effects is single player games.

and I'm to pay $100 more for 8GB's of DDR3 RAM (with 3GB's used for the OS) versus 8GB's of DDR5 (with 1GB used for the OS)?

The PS3 was more powerful then the 360 yet most games where basically the same on each system and I imagine we will see that again. It'll just be the Naughty Dog's that take advantage.

I think we will see a big push from most companies to go with the digital versions of games this time. We're already seeing people like Microsoft do big sales with theirs games on demand. I can see in a few years time that if you buy the digital version for the same price you get all the DLC/Season Pass crap for free. Both Microsoft and Sony must be planning for a digital only future and with these console looking to last 10 years I can't see them both waiting 10 years to bring these plans into action.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 pm

PS3 had half the ram of 360 and the cell was shit to program for. Naughty Dog as 1st party did fine with it as they were forced.Most 3rd parties did not have the time to mess with it and so most PS3 ports were inferior.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mitsuzuki » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:42 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:
WRC already posted this, and it appears that it is true, as an insider has confirmed, but he says it was 60 mins.

Did the quick-scan a page or two back before posting but it looks like I missed it. News travels fast in here!
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 pm

This is the way the world has always worked.
A bunch of ignorant people show up with torches, start screaming about magic, witches or the evil eye and then burn everything to the ground.

Vector has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Vector
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Vector wrote: This is the way the world has always worked.
A bunch of ignorant people show up with torches, start screaming about magic, witches or the evil eye and then burn everything to the ground.

The fuck are you on about son?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Ryudo wrote:

Microsoft's inability to vocalize what it was trying to do. Mixed with ignorance from a small highly vocal portion of the fan base caused this change. It's not a good thing this happened but nothing can be done about it now.
Vector
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Yama wrote: Certain games were said to require a 24/7 connection due to cloud powering, yet now all games will be playable offline? So cloud computing suddenly isn't a necessity

Certain games will still be always online. I've not been keeping up with it but I think Destiny is a always online game. The only games this policy change effects is single player games.

and I'm to pay $100 more for 8GB's of DDR3 RAM (with 3GB's used for the OS) versus 8GB's of DDR5 (with 1GB used for the OS)?

The PS3 was more powerful then the 360 yet most games where basically the same on each system and I imagine we will see that again. It'll just be the Naughty Dog's that take advantage.

I think we will see a big push from most companies to go with the digital versions of games this time. We're already seeing people like Microsoft do big sales with theirs games on demand. I can see in a few years time that if you buy the digital version for the same price you get all the DLC/Season Pass crap for free. Both Microsoft and Sony must be planning for a digital only future and with these console looking to last 10 years I can't see them both waiting 10 years to bring these plans into action.

The reason that games weren't that distinguishable from 360/PS3 is because of the Cell processor/architecture which was too complex to "code to the metal" and it only had half of the ram the 360 had.

The PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 Ram with likely only 1GB for the OS and the rest for games/apps. The XB1 has 8 GDDR3 RAM with 3GB being used up for the OS alone, meaning only 5GB for games/apps. Add to that they both now use x86 architecture and the PS4 has a more powerful GPU, it will most likely see more stable and superior games from first parties and multi-platform games. PC ports are now much more viable and for each system and vis versa, but the while the PS4 is also easier to develop on, it is also more powerful, which changes a lot of things from this generation.

Though if you want to see how powerful a PS3 can be with talented developers, look at the technical specifications of "The Last of Us." I admit that most games have looked pretty much identical on both platforms, and even at times looking better on the 360.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

Microsoft's inability to vocalize what it was trying to do. Mixed with ignorance from a small highly vocal portion of the fan base caused this change. It's not a good thing this happened but nothing can be done about it now.

Why is it not a good thing they removed DRM and always connected?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

It's not a good thing because we cannot see now how it would have worked. Those who were more than able to test this new model can't judge it based on actual usage and policies in action, only rampant speculation. Many people including myself are always connected. We now have to step back and wait another 10 years for things to be where they should be right now. And why is this? Because a small percentage of the total fan-base claimed they couldn't keep up with a simple internet connection, feared a camera that you can easily turn off or turn around and went completely nuts over the inability to bum games off people, rent and sell them back to buy new ones. Honestly, who wants customers like that? Can you even call them customers? Should any company really change policy based on people like that?
Vector
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

It's not a good thing because we cannot see now how it would have worked. Those who were more than able to test this new model can't judge it based on actual usage and policies in action, only rampant speculation. Many people including myself are always connected. We now have to step back and wait another 10 years for things to be where they should be right now. And why is this? Because a small percentage of the total fan-base claimed they couldn't keep up with a simple internet connection, feared a camera that you can easily turn off or turn around and went completely nuts over the inability to bum games off people, rent and sell them back to buy new ones. Honestly, who wants customers like that? Can you even call them customers? Should any company really change policy based on people like that?

MS is now hiring drones to join forums I see.

Bluecast has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Brothaman, ShenmueTree
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
Vector wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

MS is now hiring people to join forums I see.

No man, I was here a long time ago. I just got tired of waiting for Shenmue III. Can't remember my account but I'll find it in a PDF or something.
Vector
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 pm

:lol: Louis?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Ryudo wrote: :lol: Louis?

Nope lol
Vector
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 am

The 3GB for OS can be switched off by a developer if they want for their games.

And MS has said games would make use of cloud to enhance games but they could still be played off line. An example is Forza 5.

Play offline and get the usual dumb ''A.I'' everyone has been complaining about in racing games this gen but play online and you race against other people based on how they play even when they are not playing the game. So just think Physical Ghosts.

And of course we still have a few already always online required games like Destiny and TitanFall.

The WatchDog devs have said "It might allow someone to use one dedicated machine just for on AI. What kind of AI could I do with that? That's interesting." other examples are games like this which could have so many NPC's running around offline and so many when online.

Remains to be seen what developers actually do with this.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ys » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 am

I get your point Vector but it's not as if they removed the technology totally. You don't have to wait, they will use it and have a "fallback mode" for those not connected. As I wrote earlier, they would have to think of this anyway since even those with good connections can have temporary issues. So mostly non-crucial tasks will be calculated server side while the main part of the game runs locally. But I'm sure that they will think of interesting things which will make most people want to be online.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming