Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 am

Asura's Wrath worth the £8.99 price tag on XBL?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

If you like anime, yes.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Asura's Wrath worth the £8.99 price tag on XBL?

It's a very anime styled game and a lot of QTE. I love it as I love anything from Cyberconnect2 but not sure it's for you. Also Capcom made it so the real ending is only in DLC. Also like Anime it splits off in episodes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Dammit all, Urban Reign just got a helluva lot more fun. I don't know if it's just that I'm starting to get much, much better at it, or if it's the fact that I can now use air grapples and head into battle with an AI partner, but the game really seems to be ramping itself up. Absolutely loving it. Should have played it sooner.
I wish Namco would do some kind of sequel or spiritual successor to it. There's so much they could do with it now.
Or even better yet, Capcom ought to take a cue and do a Final Fight or something using a fighting system just like this one. Just expand it so it's level-based, rather than being stuck in an arena.
Dear lord, that'd be glorious.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm

OL wrote: Dammit all, Urban Reign just got a helluva lot more fun. I don't know if it's just that I'm starting to get much, much better at it, or if it's the fact that I can now use air grapples and head into battle with an AI partner, but the game really seems to be ramping itself up. Absolutely loving it. Should have played it sooner.
I wish Namco would do some kind of sequel or spiritual successor to it. There's so much they could do with it now.
Or even better yet, Capcom ought to take a cue and do a Final Fight or something using a fighting system just like this one. Just expand it so it's level-based, rather than being stuck in an arena.
Dear lord, that'd be glorious.

Urban Reign always looked similar to Beat Down, to me, what with the whole "beat em up - fighting game hybrid" thing it has going on. It's funny, since my experience with Beat Down sounds rather similar to yours with Urban Reign, the battles are one vs one most of the time, but what I played of Beat Down experimented with the genre a fair bit, just like Urban Reign sounds like it did. Beat Down even has a party system, where you take AI characters with you, able to change to play as them, whenever you like. And Beat Down was overseen by Capcom (developed by Cavia), so maybe Beat Down is the closest thing you're going to get to another game in that style? It does sound very similar to me. So weird. :-s

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 am

They might be similar. I've never looked heavily into Beatdown (though my interested has been perked up a few times in the past), but it always looked like kind of an open-world, almost RPG-like take on beat-em-ups or fighting games. Urban Reign is set up a little more traditionally, I think, with a kind of match-by-match basis.
The actual fighting system is interesting because there's only a single button each for the various commands (attack, grapple, dodge), but they all perform different moves when combined with pushing up, down, left/right, or without pushing a direction. Technically, the commands are simple for a fighting game (no major combos, no fancy quarter-circle movements, etc), but the focus on direction makes it feel really deep, and puts a huge emphasis on paying attention to enemy animations and stringing together grapples. And when the action moves as fast as it does here, it gets really intense trying to read the actions of the enemies, especially when you're surrounded by four or five of them.
I'll have to try Beatdown though. Always been interested. Mostly because Gina has one of the hottest character designs in the history of gaming. But the fact that it's essentially a Cavia fighting game doesn't hurt either.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby silent killer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:12 am

So I go into the mall arcade to do my rounds on the old MvC2 machine, and this comes up:

Now either someone rest the game to zero ,or the whatever kind of RAM chip it has may have died. Assuming it's the former it'll give me something to do now when I visit it. \:D/
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 am

Had a message from someone who bought KiBa's PS3. Said they were defriending his friends list before wiping the system for themselves. I wonder if they saw my reply.

That was two days ago now, so now I'll watch his PSN ID slowly sink down my friends list due to inactivity. Four people on my list already haven't signed in over "2 or more years" :lol:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 am

OL wrote: They might be similar. I've never looked heavily into Beatdown (though my interested has been perked up a few times in the past), but it always looked like kind of an open-world, almost RPG-like take on beat-em-ups or fighting games. Urban Reign is set up a little more traditionally, I think, with a kind of match-by-match basis.
The actual fighting system is interesting because there's only a single button each for the various commands (attack, grapple, dodge), but they all perform different moves when combined with pushing up, down, left/right, or without pushing a direction. Technically, the commands are simple for a fighting game (no major combos, no fancy quarter-circle movements, etc), but the focus on direction makes it feel really deep, and puts a huge emphasis on paying attention to enemy animations and stringing together grapples. And when the action moves as fast as it does here, it gets really intense trying to read the actions of the enemies, especially when you're surrounded by four or five of them.
I'll have to try Beatdown though. Always been interested. Mostly because Gina has one of the hottest character designs in the history of gaming. But the fact that it's essentially a Cavia fighting game doesn't hurt either.

Beatdown is great, its fun its amazing its fu-ma-tas-elent...on you mean that other Beatdown. Well I like it alot, its the same engine that powers the Xbox remake of Rent a Hero and I thought as a fighting engine it was great (RAH at times feels like Virtua Fighter)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am

Was disappointed to realize that Shantae actually comes out tomorrow on 3DS VC and not today. I've been looking for something to spend my extra points on... since they force you to always have left-overs, and I've never played Shantae. I guess it isn't too surprising considering its price tag. Oh well, I'll have to wait one more day for my "free" game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm

so i have narrowed it down, do I play Tales of Eternia or The Last Story? I could play Tales in preparation for Xillia, or I could finish TLS, both are pretty short I have read and I can probably finish them quickly.

Also, I need a new battery for my PSP 1000, does someone know a decent one? I know there are alot of off brand ones and i think the sony ones are expensive. Hopefully someone knows.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I dunno, just about any Tales game I've played isn't short at all. There's usually a shit-ton of content, so they can go on for well over 60-80 hours if you try to do everything. I haven't played Eternia yet, so I'm not sure on that one in particular, but any others seem pretty long.
I think The Last Story is supposed to be somewhere between 20 and 30 hours, so that might be the better option if you're trying to play something a little quicker.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:47 pm

The Last Story has 44 chapters in total. Most people never finish them all as some are hidden and many optional. So yeah if you are a Completionist with all chapters. Still rack in at about 35 hours. If you use summon circles like a madman and do all sidequests you can maybe stretch it to 40 and at most 45.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 pm

God damn it, i have to fight the dern lesser shade in TLS, its drops the ? Crossbow, I take to get appraised, there is a chance when I appraise it that it will turn into a bad ass bow called Fast Crossbow, the only one in the game. I beat this boss plenty of times trying to get the drop, and every time I beat it and went to get it appraised it was the wrong one and I faught it over and over and over when i first started playing it. I think I am gonna have to pass up on finishing The Last Story, I like the game but its so damn clunky, there is also alot to remember to the battle system as well, its almost over done... shame, I really like this world and characters and story, but im getting slow down on top of the clunky, hell maybe my wii is dying. This game can piss you off something horrible too. apparently im on chapter 21 ugh... I wanna see what happens but I may not be able to bring myself to it. I cant even beat the lesser shade as it stands right now, but it says I last played it december 18th so yeah, its been a while. idk whether to just start a new game or keep trying, or just give up on it all together.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Game is far from clunky and the battle system is robust. However the game really does tax the Wii and does have some slowdown,never got in the way for me. As for lesser shade. I think I took him on at level 50+ and heal circle motherfucker heal. Not sure why you have so much trouble with the game. Not heard anyone have any real problem. It's tough game yeah but not this seemingly impossible to beat Dark Souls/Battletoads thing. :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming