Your tentative GOTY 2013 contenders so far..

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Your tentative GOTY 2013 contenders so far..

Postby Bluecast » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 am

Year has a few months left but so far have a few that are contenders for GOTY and a couple honorable mentions ad of course games still not out yet but could end up a contender for you.
====================================================================

Honorable Mentions

Ni no Kuni.

very nice looking game full of charm and no doubt has Level-5 stamp on it. Also has elements from Dragon Quest VIII. I only pt it here as I still yet to finish it. I don't know why I just keep getting distracted.

Gone Home.

The game ends out different how you expect it but a decent story and told in a nice way in an almost Valve type way and point and click.Simple but endearing. It's only real flaw is once you play it,no point in playing it ever again.You can but the point is lost.

Project X Zone

This game had a lot of potential. The cast of characters is largely a let down. Sure some great ones in there but too many of them are to obscure and of newer games. Needed more older franchises. It has a few good old school ones but needed more. The sprites look great and has some great music. I'm just not good at Strategy and did not make it too far. Just a few stages.

Not yet played or not yet released potential contenders.

Ys IV PSvita...well it's my fave series so there is that.

Brothers a Tale of two Sons.

This game is out but yet to play it other than the demo and watched a few quick looks. Looks fantastic and want to get it.

2013 GOTY contenders thus far

Fire Emblem Awakening

My first real strategy game and a good start for a novice. Game looks fantastic. Music is fantastic. Art style is great.(and I think the same artist from The last Story so that's a plus for me).
Game blindsided me this year and a wonderful surprise. Should e up there among the best on 3DS and one of the best this year period.

Dungeons & Dragons : Chronicles of Mystara

This might technically be cheating as this is a port of a early 90's arcade game but was never released outside Japan on home consoles.This is classic sidescrolling hack n slash RPG fantasy goodness. Now with steam or XBL you can play wish friends co-op online. Don't have to give a crap about D&D just if you like these kinds of games. I have the game on steam thanks to Segata but had to buy the retail release on PS from Japan. This game is the forerunner for my top GOTY contender so far.

Dragons Crown

Wow this is the best game vanillaware has ever made and no wonder. it's the love child of George Kamitani. He worked on the D&D game when he worked at Capcom. This game was originally in the works for Dreamcast but funding issues and a entire host of problems kept getting in the way even up it's release as Ignition dropped support but Atlus picked it up but then questions were raised when Index was in legal trouble.

This game has more tie ins and direct homages and flat out tributes to D&D game I don't know where to begin ut this is basically a spiritual reboot and sequel at the same time. If you play both games you keep finding yourself saying HEY THAT'S FROM... as not just D&D but also Golden Axe and many many many more. Artstyle is simply fantastic. Can play online co-op from anyone around the world so no region issues and a blast to play online. This is old school greatness in updated visuals with modern features like online. The game brought me the most enjoyment I had in a long long long time with a modern made game that still keeps old school roots while keeping up with modern touches. If I had a top 100 or even 50 of all time this would be on there and would not be close to the bottom. Just adore this game to no end.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Your tentative GOTY 2013 contenders so far..

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:52 am

i already know for me it will come down to ni no kuni, final fantasy 14: a realm reborn, and Batman: Arkham origins (even though its not out yet but its a frickin arkham game its gonna be great!) as of right now between Ni no and FF14 its a tough call. Ni no kuni is the superior game but im having way more fun with FF14 than i did kuni. probably just because of the whole online mumbo jumbo junk.
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:19 am

Probably Tekken Revolution.

It's all I ever play nowadays.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 am

I was trying to think of what new games I've even played all the way to the end this year, and I guess the number is actually surprisingly small. Still haven't finished SMTIV or Soul Hackers. And despite my excitement for them pre-release, I still have yet to play Ni No Kuni or Xillia (I'll get to them; still excited, I'm just busy recently).
Armored Core: Verdict Day should be getting to me soon, and as much as I loved ACV, I'm sure I'll have a blast with this as well (just so long as the single-player mode is at least as meaty as before). I'm also sure I'll have a grand ol' time with Assassin's Creed IV. Really excited for that. And it's a completely biased stance (since I know that technically, it's not a particularly good game), but I absolutely loved what I've played of FotNS: Ken's Rage 2 so far. As a Fist of the North Star nut, playing all of these scenarios from the anime/comic in an even more accurate form than what was present in the first Ken's Rage is an absolute joy.
But honestly, I really am having a hard time thinking of new stuff I've played. Most of what I've beaten this year was old stuff.
Tales of Destiny, Tales of Vesperia, Fatal Frame 1-3, Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Splatterhouse, Urban Reign...
If I could pick from those (old games played for the first time this year; always liked that topic), I'd list Fatal Frame 3, Haunting Ground, Vesperia, and Urban Reign. Excellent experiences.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm looking forward to Ys IV. I haven't looked anything new up on it, nor have I heard anything in a long while (aside from preordering the Silver whatever edition), so it slipped my mind. It won't affect me like the older games do; I'm absolutely sure of that. The more "modern anime" groove that Falcom has adopted just doesn't charm me like their 80s and early-90s stuff does, but they're still good at what they do, so Ys IV is still a must-buy for me (despite that awful bloom graphical filter).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I honestly don't think I've played a single game that's been released this year. Again.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

^You're waiting for Batman though, right?

Anyway, for me, so far it's between Hotline Miami (Vita), Killer is Dead (PS3) and Persona 4: Golden (Vita).
But we've still not gotten those amazing Atlus games yet, either (Dragon's Crown, SMT IV, Soul Hackers) so, it's likely to change. Also, Watch Dogs and Arkham City are bound to be in there, somewhere too. So the best part of the year is the latter half.

Best old games that I played have been Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (yet to finish), Devil Summoner: Raidou 1 & Digital Devil Saga 2, all for PS2.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:54 pm

SMT4 so far
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^You're waiting for Batman though, right?

Not even gonna be able to play it, I'll only have a PS2 n a DC by that point.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:47 pm

I haven't had much time or money for games this year

so animal crossing new leaf for goat
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 pm

XENOBLA... oh... damn it...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Mine would probably have to be TLOU or Tales of Xillia.

Man, just realised its been like 2/3 years since I've brought a new 360 game. Buying that PS3 was a good idea.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Stocke wrote:Mine would probably have to be TLOU or Tales of Xillia.

Man, just realised its been like 2/3 years since I've brought a new 360 game. Buying that PS3 was a good idea.

am i the only one who feels The Last of Us is over rated and was over hyped? i mean it was a good game but best i would give it is maybe game of the month...just sayin...
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am

Stocke wrote: Mine would probably have to be TLOU or Tales of Xillia.

+1. I would say Ni No Kuni too, but after Xillia it's no contest which is the better RPG. Xillia has the better battle system, the story flows better and the quests aren't as repetitive either. Plus the anime cut scenes are some of the cleanest and most vibrant things ever in a RPG, chapter 3 was so damn epic. The ones Ghibli did for Ni No Kuni pale in comparison. Not trying to bash the game as I love Level 5 as much as the next person, but Tales Studio seriously out did themselves with Xillia.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Stocke » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:31 am

Perfect_Chaos wrote:am i the only one who feels The Last of Us is over rated and was over hyped? i mean it was a good game but best i would give it is maybe game of the month...just sayin...

Now that the dust has settled, i can definitely see why people would think that.

Raithos wrote:+1. I would say Ni No Kuni too, but after Xillia it's no contest which is the better RPG. Xillia has the better battle system, the story flows better and the quests aren't as repetitive either. Plus the anime cut scenes are some of the cleanest and most vibrant things ever in a RPG, chapter 3 was so damn epic. The ones Ghibli did for Ni No Kuni pale in comparison. Not trying to bash the game as I love Level 5 as much as the next person, but Tales Studio seriously out did themselves with Xillia.

I just love the Tales games in general, always very well made and great stories. Extremely excited for Tales of Xillia 2 which will probably be my GOTY next year, tied with SSBwii.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Perfect_Chaos wrote:
Stocke wrote:Mine would probably have to be TLOU or Tales of Xillia.

am i the only one who feels The Last of Us is over rated and was over hyped? i mean it was a good game but best i would give it is maybe game of the month...just sayin...

No. Its definitely my GOTY. The story alone would make it for me, but the fact it had exceptional graphics, great sound design, amaizing sound track and gameplay that was so enjoyable I didnt mind dieing uncountable amounts of times in beating survior mode.
Then the multiplayer is actualy quite inventive and satisfying. Probably my favorite multiplayer game of the year when not counting FF14.
After pouring over 100 hours in the game I can say its in my top 5 for this whole generation.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming