What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Mitsuzuki » Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 am

I downloaded the demo too. Will be giving it a spin soon.

Playing Fez right now.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Stocke » Thu May 01, 2014 10:31 am

Axm wrote: I just played the Child of Light demo on PS4.
Really impressed by it. For those that dont know its a very artistic turn based RPG with alot of unique mechanics. Fully recommed it.

The battle system looks alot like grandia's, and i loved those games as a kid. May have to give it a try.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Luvly KM » Fri May 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Nintendo Pocket Football. Awesome
Lospass FC http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/NPFC/enGB/team.php?team_code=9E1F423BB

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Decent but it is its worst enemy. Suffers from not being too linear and focused enough...

Hearthstone. Naturally.

The Wolf Among us. Excellent but episodic format is killing its flow.

Still Playing: Skyrim
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Fri May 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Been out of town almost all of April. Been playing a ton of Diablo 3 since all I could take was my laptop. Can't wait to get home tomorrow, back to my PC and consoles.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri May 02, 2014 9:02 pm

So ive had Metal Gear Rising in its wrapping for months.. bought it on black friday sale last year for 15 bucks. Never really liked the demo when I played it before its initial release but today I decided to finally open it and give it a go.

I hate this game. To call it a Metal Gear Solid game is an insult. Ya it has Metal Gear elements such as Metal Gear's as bosses and such but besides that this couldnt be farther from what I want out of the game.
The story is filler one liner cheesy nonsense. Not a trace of continuity can be found to tie it into other Metal Gears besides the concept of PMC's.
The combat is mediocre.
The graphics are bland past the occational light show.
The soundtrack is forgetable.

At this point id rather play Metal Gear Acid. Much better at being closer to the Metal Gear world then this.
I came into it with low expectations and left with an even lower reality.
Its not the worst game ive ever playn or anything but its just dissapointing. I wish Konami had developed this and not Platinum Games.

Axm has received a thanks from: Kenny
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 06, 2014 11:16 am

Just been playing South Park for the last two hours. Wanted to save it but the option was greyed out for some reason so I figured I'd play a little longer and died in the next room. Turns out the auto save hadn't been working the whole time and I had to go back to a save from two hours before...

Great.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Wed May 07, 2014 3:44 am

Currently playing through the Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 am

Assassin's Creed 2.

Took a few missions to really kick in, but now I like it alot. Ezio is a really cool character so far.

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu May 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Really surprised at the sense of humor in Drakengard 3 so far. From what little experience I had with the original game, I was expecting this to be super serious, but it's actually littered with a lot of cartoonish gags during cutscenes, made even weirder since the content is all so gory and violent. It's welcome, though. Makes the game a lot more fun to experience.
The gameplay is a bit "eh" in most cases. It's got a pretty standard hack&slash formula to it, but it actually almost feels like a step down from Nier. Nier wasn't exactly the glossiest title from a gameplay standpoint, but it felt really technically solid at the very least. Not quite so much here, and it's mainly the fault of the graphics engine as I mentioned elsewhere. There are places where it gets so goddamn choppy that it really does screw you over. I just finished the second main boss, and that was a damn chore thanks to how technically unsound it was. I'm not usually one to complain about framerate issues; I usually dismiss complaints like that with other games. So that ought to tell you just how bad the problem is.
If it weren't so choppy, I think the game would be a lot more fun. Repetitive, sure, but that's just par the course for this series.
Either way, the story and personality of it all is making up for any drawbacks. The game is kinda twisted, but that just makes you want to keep playing and see more. And it's definitely already made me more interested in eventually finishing the original two games.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed May 28, 2014 5:17 am

About to jump on this Telltales Walking Dead Season 3 ep. 3 and The Wolf Amoung Us ep. 4

Edit: Horry Sheet.. TWD ep. 3 was amazing!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu May 29, 2014 6:52 pm

GOD DAMMIT.
Now Drakengard 3 is just pissing me off. Been playing all day so I can beat it, but now that I'm just about to hit the final stretch... it tells me I have to acquire every single weapon in the game before I can proceed.
Fucking hell.
This is the single cheapest possible way to lengthen a game's runtime, and they just have to use it in a game as technically-unsound and brain-punchingly repetitive as this. In some games, it might not seem like that big a deal. In this one, there are tons of weapons, and many of them are hidden in secret chests throughout levels. Which means that in order to see the actual ending, I not only have to earn the money to buy everything in the shop, but I also have to suffer through the exact same repetitive crap all over again.
Don't get me wrong, there are things about the game that I love; the story is great, the music is excellent, the characters are memorable (though their sexual schtick got old quick), and it's got that overall endearing Cavia style to it. But there was a certain point where the gameplay just stopped being fun, and the only reason I kept going was for the story. Now the game is throwing up a roadblock and saying "Hey player, FUCK YOU, I'm gonna force you to repeat the exact same shite you've been doing since the beginning of the game even more before I show you anything new."

And it's not even just that it's repetitive; I love games like Ken's Rage, for example, so repetition is usually no big deal to me. But when it's as glitchy and choppy as this, there just isn't anything to be gained from it aside from frustration.
I don't think I've been so torn on a game in a long, long time. I want to love it for the creative aspects, but the gameplay and technical stuff is just rubbish. And now it's making me jump through hoops to see the ending.
Gaaaaaah.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu May 29, 2014 7:10 pm

^ Youtube is what I do when a game stops being fun but when curiosity gets the better of me. There are too many good games out there to be stuck playing the -- maybe not bad but -- tedious/annoying ones.. even if I payed good money for them.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Im about finished with link between worlds, only 2 more dungeons left and lorule castle. Its a hell of a zelda game honestly, havent seen one quite like this in some time. The gold master sword and the blue mail are just amazing (double damage form the sword, and take half damage with the blue mail on). Some of the bosses could be easier, some of them are just plain not challenging, a couple dungeons were tedious but all in all this game is very solid, very balanced with tons of stuff to do and lots to explore and items to collect. I should be done with it over the weekend.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu May 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Thief wrote: ^ Youtube is what I do when a game stops being fun but when curiosity gets the better of me. There are too many good games out there to be stuck playing the -- maybe not bad but -- tedious/annoying ones.. even if I payed good money for them.

At this point, I think I'm putting the game away for a while. I don't know if I want to cheapen things by just looking up the ending on youtube, but I may go back to it after enough time has passed and finish up all the tedious stuff. Just need to let the sort of "fatigue" from it fade a bit.

On that note, I started playing Brothers, a very Ico-esque digital-only game made by Starbreeze Studios. Pretty sweet so far. Very interesting method of control, where you move two characters at the same time, each having their own assigned analogue stick. Some cool puzzles so far, and a good sense of personality.

Also popped in Asura's Wrath again, realizing that I haven't actually gotten around to finishing up the DLC episode packs I bought ages ago. Started from the beginning, and it feels great; as is the intention of the game, it's like going back and re-watching an old favorite anime series. It still blows me away how insane the action is in it. The game may be primarily cutscenes and QTE's, but it's always engaging either way. Gonna keep going with this.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri May 30, 2014 1:23 am

Was playing little big king's story vita. Really fun game, being able to conquer the areas you explore then expand your city in to it really makes it feel fun and rewarding. kind of reminds me of a mix between SOA base creator and pikmin.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming