Does anyone NOT like Mario?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Jacob Marley » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:48 am

I've spent many hours and enjoyed the Mario games of old (SMB 1, 2, 3 and 4) back in the day. To say that I've played them to death is no understatement, and given that I'm not too crazy about Mario games in 3D, I'd have to say that I'm not a fan of the new Mario games and the character in general. I think Nintendo really began to separate their core audience when they gave Mario a voice in Mario64 (It's a meee, Mario---ugh...I shudder everytime I hear his fruity voice in the last few games).

For me, I simply associate the older games as fun kiddie games since I was a kid when they first came out. Mario was a lovable, somewhat generic character (with an evil past...who can forget his role in Donkey Kong Jr!) back in the day but he certainly has not aged well or evolved enough to stand the test of time today.

I'll gladly play the older games on their native formats over the newly rehashed GBA cash runs, simply out of sheer nostalgia and some relatively brilliant game design. But overall, I think Mario has had his day and is becoming played out and made out to be too childish in this modern mainstream era.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mammoth » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:34 pm

I don't like Mario. All the games are so boring (especially if you compare them to Sonic games :D :D ). There's just nothing good about them. At all. In any way.
Mammoth
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FoxHound » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:15 pm

I've played every Mario platformer out there and I think most of them are great games. Not the best, but still very good. Of the ones I played I enjoyed:

Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario 64.

I hated:

Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Sunshine (The worst Mario platformer by far).
FoxHound
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:56 pm

I think Mario is outdated. He just doesnt have the appeal like he did a decade ago.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Amin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:20 am

I dont like mario, i dont like the way there are so many mario games being made, I dont like the way they overdo the kiddy image in mario games. MY GOD mario sunshine was so childish. Dont get me wrong the actual game wasnt bad but I really dont see why they have to be so childish. The mario fans out there arent 4 yrs old.
I enjoyed sonic adventure 2 more than sunshine :D
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:59 pm

Amin wrote:I dont like mario, i dont like the way there are so many mario games being made, I dont like the way they overdo the kiddy image in mario games. MY GOD mario sunshine was so childish. Dont get me wrong the actual game wasnt bad but I really dont see why they have to be so childish. The mario fans out there arent 4 yrs old.
I enjoyed sonic adventure 2 more than sunshine :D

I am in my 20's and I like the Child like cuteness mario brings...but the games are experienced gamer difficulty.

Now I must go play every mario game since NES. :D
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby b_ren » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:04 pm

I don't like him.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:49 pm

I hate him.
And while I'm not really much of a Nintendo fan, I just don't understand why Mario is still their mascot and Link isn't.
Honestly, I don't really like Zelda games either, but it still stands that Link is a much cooler image at the very least. He's definitely better than some used up, bad excuse for an Italian stereotype.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Amin » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:22 am

i'm 17 and i know loads of people my age would buy consoles and stuff but noone wants to admit buying a game like mario with its stupid noises and stuff (apart from hardcore players), there was no point in going that far in sunshine. Dunno if its my age that we despise this stuff, maybe i havent matured to oversea this :D
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:19 pm

Amin wrote:i'm 17 and i know loads of people my age would buy consoles and stuff but noone wants to admit buying a game like mario with its stupid noises and stuff (apart from hardcore players), there was no point in going that far in sunshine. Dunno if its my age that we despise this stuff, maybe i havent matured to oversea this :D

Yes it is a 17year old insecurity.

It's ok...if you don't like mario...so be it.

Some people like mario others don't.

You will mature and still not like mario or any other cute characters and stuff like that but your arguement would be different.

It's cool.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spokane » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:37 pm

Mario is O.k, not as good as Shenmue games , Mario is not worth playing acctually
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Previous

Return to General Gaming