GAME buys Gamestation for £74 million

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

GAME buys Gamestation for £74 million

Postby Nick Tyndall » Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 am

Gamestation does so much more than GAME! Not only are there pices lower, but they also give you better trade in value. In Gamestation, unlike GAME, you can walk up and sale them controllers, consoles without boxes and almost anything games based. They also sales classic consoles like the megadrive and stock Saturn and Dreamcast games.

With GAME now owning Gamestation, the quality of service is going to go up, and that is a bad thing! In Gamestation you can sell them so munch broken shit, they also on many occasions left the games in the cases and with no alarm at the door....lets just say I have a few more games then I should have.

They did state that there was going to be no name change yet so hopefully I can pull some more deals before they change.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/784/784988p1.html
Nick Tyndall
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby HappyKillmore » Wed May 02, 2007 11:06 am

Ohhhh you just beat me to it, i was about to post about this too. Anyway, i am really sad bout this, theres nobody else left accept smaller stores with one shop in your local town centre :(
Another link: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6169997.htm ... top;more;1
Last edited by HappyKillmore on Wed May 02, 2007 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby EWJ » Wed May 02, 2007 11:09 am

Nick Tyndall wrote:lets just say I have a few more games then I should have.

Scum!
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 02, 2007 11:25 am

Guess now you know how it felt when Gamestop bought EB Games here in the US :(
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 pm

So there's no competition on the high street now? Just one big, fat, greedy company? Okay...that sucks. Gamestation was better though. GAME merely sell nothing but new games, oh the wonder of it all.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Suairyu » Wed May 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:So there's no competition on the high street now? Just one big, fat, greedy company? Okay...that sucks. Gamestation was better though. GAME merely sell nothing but new games, oh the wonder of it all.
Well, they do sell second hand games, just at generic prices. That means if you want a super-rare game, it'll probably be dirt cheap in GAME second-hand, but also games that aren't worth much will be more expensive than they should be.

In Gamestation you can just waltz in and buy a lot of games at £2.99 each, usually good ones, though rarer items can cost as much as £100.

Hopefully they won't rebrand everything and it'll just be an ownership, not a management.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nick Tyndall » Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 pm

I hope so to. I don't shop much from GAME as there "un beatable prices" are usually higher than other stores. I like the way Gamestation is, the fact that you can sell them items which don't have to be boxed etc. I guess there is still Computer Exchange but everyone I go to are full of stingy goths.

Hopefully they won't rebrand everything and it'll just be an owndership, not a management.
Nick Tyndall
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Clint » Wed May 02, 2007 1:47 pm

eBay and Play.com is all you need.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 02, 2007 5:35 pm

^

True, but it's always nice to take a look at a quality store, like Gamestation, for any ideas of what you want to get.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Mythical Being » Wed May 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Yeh this sucks, I hate Game. There staff think theyre all superior to you and proper business men, and its like wait, your about 35 and you work in a game shop.
Mythical Being
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 02, 2007 6:02 pm

^

Haha, couldn't have put it better myself.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby GambiT » Wed May 02, 2007 6:51 pm

dont worry, i work for gamestation and ill tell you how its going down. i found out this morning and i feared for my job so i went into work and got all the info that i could.

GAME do own gamestation but have stated that they will retain both brands and run them as individual businesses. there will be no changes to the shop - no rebranding - no GAME pricing, they just own them. thats all ill say on official facts cos i dont want to risk my job saying something top secret.

i think the reason that they may have done this is becuase gamestop is trying to move to britain and taking gamestation allows GAME all alot more room in the market should gamestop actually arrive and they'll have trouble getting established.
GambiT
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Suairyu » Wed May 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Clint wrote:eBay and Play.com is all you need.
Most of the time, yes, but Gamestation does some incredible deals on pre-owned a lot of the time, like the previously mentioned £2.99 per game (I've seen MGS2 for £1.99 before) or four games for £20. It's rare, if not impossible to get deals that good online, even if you do ignore shipping costs.

That and I felt like a King when I got God Of War II for £6 when I traded in two old games I didn't want anymore. A gosh-darned KING!

GambiT wrote:i think the reason that they may have done this is becuase gamestop is trying to move to britain and taking gamestation allows GAME all alot more room in the market should gamestop actually arrive and they'll have trouble getting established.

Thank you, GAME.

As much as the complaining we all do, GAME isn't exactly the worst place in the world, and I have bought from them before and found it reasonable, just not brilliant. However, having heard horror-story after horror-story about Gamestop I wouldn't want them anywhere near Britain.
Last edited by Suairyu on Thu May 03, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nick Tyndall » Thu May 03, 2007 2:43 am

Just found out that Gamestation was owned by Blockbusters....
Nick Tyndall
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jimb0d » Thu May 03, 2007 8:50 am

Gamestation already went down the pan a couple of years back when they started doing all this, £7.99 each or 4 for £20 crap instead of letting the games find their fair trade in price like they used to.

TBH, if you are still trading in your games on the high st instead of using ebay, you are throwing your money away. :roll:
jimb0d
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to General Gaming