Collecting game series...

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Martin » Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Martin wrote:I highly recommend Tekken 5 on the PS2 if you haven't got it already. Not only because it's a great game, but it also includes full arcade emulations of Tekken 1, 2, 3, and Star Blade (though you have to earn the latter by finding a secret room in the Devil Within mode). This helps you on you quest for collecting them immeasurably. Tekken 3 is still actually really playable. Number two is still alright for a laugh, too. The original is awful now, though. So crap that it's funny.
You can't unlock the extra characters on those emulations though, can you? I have the Japanese version of Tekken 5

Well, I have the PAL version, and Tekken 1 is missing all the unlockable characters from that game, Tekken 2 has them all, and Tekken 3 is missing only Docter Boskonovitch and Gon (they were added to the PSone version). I think the absence of the latter two characters are no big deal at all (they're both shit novelty characters), and the improved graphics of the arcade version more than makes up for it. Tekken 3 was missing some moves and animations on the PSone, too.

Your call, but I'd be happy with them. Oh and yeah, you'd have to just get number four, and your done with Tekken.

Neo Matrix wrote:So... if you have Hyper Street Fighter II, you pretty much have the whole SFII series in one game?

Well, sort of. Depends how you look at it. It basically boils down to a crazy version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo (the last SFII installment), wherein you are presented with a choice of which 'version' of each character you would like to play as, when you choose a fighter. Each version of the fighter is from the different versions of SFII. So in a sense, yes, it's all the SFII's in one game. Though, some would be really picky and disagree with me. Also, Hyper Street Fighter II affords you the chance to pit say, SFII Turbo Ken off against SSFIIT Dhalsim (or whatever), if you wish.

There's lots of cool little touches, too. Like, if you punch your opponent with a SFII version character, it makes the horrid scratchy SFII impact noise, and vice verca with any other version character. Plus all the different version of all the tunes are on there. It's the definitive version of SFII without a doubt, and it is basically all the games in one, in a Versus setting. However, when you play against the computer, it only ever uses SSFIIT fighters (though you can still pick between the different games), so that's where the argument against it being 'all the SFII games in one' comes in.

I'd highly recommend it. Plus you get SFIII: Third Strike, too.

Neo Matrix wrote:Anything like that for the others? Could be a while before Alpha Anthology turns up again for example.

What do you mean 'could be a while'? Just get it off the net or something. To answer the question, no. The only recent Street Fighter compilations are those two. The Alpha Anthology is particularly brilliant, because it includes SF Alpha, SF Alpha 2, SF Alpha 2 Gold, SF Alpha 3, SF Alpha 3 Upper (the DC version minus the World Tour mode, unlockable), Super Gem Fighters (known as Pocket Fighters in Japan), and Hyper SF Alpha 3 (much the same as Hyper SFII, it lets you pit any version of any Alpha character against any other version). I bought it for twelve quid in HMV, new and sealed.

It really is a god-send. The only true arcade-perfect port of Street Fighter Alpha 3. I say that, because there aren't even any loading times. You jump straight from the fighter selection screen into the fight. No delay whatsoever.

Neo Matrix wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:I'd press you on getting the Panzer Dragoon series though, I've still got my PC version of the first game and it works perfectly, definitely one to look out for if you enjoyed Rez.
TiredofLife wrote: I'm with Henry Spencer, if you don't have them, get the Panzer Dragoon games.

These are a must for any serious gamer. The original and it's sequel, 'Zwei', on the Saturn, you can pick up pretty cheap on Ebay. Panzer Dragoon Saga is rare as hell, and you'll be paying between £80-£140 for it but it's worth every penny. Panzer Dragoon Orta you can get for the Xbox pretty cheap at the moment, too.
Unfortunately I've never played Rez, but I did enjoy playing Orta a few years back. I might go for that series a bit later, particularly since Saga is so difficult to find. I never owned a Saturn either, but I remember one of the old games being on Orta...

'Saga is a bit of a must-have.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby EWJ » Thu May 31, 2007 4:11 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:I'd press you on getting the Panzer Dragoon series though, I've still got my PC version of the first game and it works perfectly, definitely one to look out for if you enjoyed Rez.
TiredofLife wrote: I'm with Henry Spencer, if you don't have them, get the Panzer Dragoon games.

These are a must for any serious gamer. The original and it's sequel, 'Zwei', on the Saturn, you can pick up pretty cheap on Ebay. Panzer Dragoon Saga is rare as hell, and you'll be paying between £80-£140 for it but it's worth every penny. Panzer Dragoon Orta you can get for the Xbox pretty cheap at the moment, too.
Unfortunately I've never played Rez, but I did enjoy playing Orta a few years back. I might go for that series a bit later, particularly since Saga is so difficult to find. I never owned a Saturn either, but I remember one of the old games being on Orta...

I just yesterday completed my Panzer Dragoon collection with the purchase of Zwei. I was never in much of a rush to buy it but when it turned up at my local gamestation, I snaped it up. It feels good completing a collection, even if it is only 4.
EWJ
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 31, 2007 8:23 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: I'd get the RE games; if you enjoy horror gaming faster paced than Silent Hill (since that is a far more slow-paced game).
Which system would you get each game on? GC has all of them through remakes etc and it's exclusive Zero, but I hear that the other consoles are better for the others.

Summary of the whole series for you:

RE1 = GC, RE2 = PS1 (controls are nutty on the GC, and it is NOT an actual remake, just a port), RE3 = PS1 (same reasons as stated before for number 2), RE4 = GC/PS2 (whichever suits you the best, I personally enjoyed the PS2 version more for the story summary via Ada's new side story missions, since I got a better understanding of what was going on, plus it features Wesker, always a good thing), RE0 is not essential, I found it a bit crap, to be honest. RE Survivor is for purests only, it's very slow and drags on a bit, but has a great finale, the RE Survivor 2 game (Code Veronica arcade game) is extremely rare, and goes at a high price and was only released in Japan, I'd skip it, it ain't really worth it, but it's far better than its predecessor.

Code Veronica X is an essential buy, for the PS2, since it includes all of the missing material on the other version. Make sure you get the 'X' version and not the original, otherwise you'll be asking yourself 'where the hell did Wesker come from' and 'whatever happened to Steve' etc. Then there is Dead Aim, which is just like Survivor; rather sluggish and slow, but rather fun as well, not essential, like before; it's only really for RE nuts, like myself. And finally Outbreak files #1 and #2. Good games, well worth the price, even though the online services are now gone, the game itself is still a joy to play for people wondering what happened to the civilians caught up in the Raccoon City outbreak, and whether any of them actually escaped the madness.

Neo Matrix wrote: Unfortunately I've never played Rez, but I did enjoy playing Orta a few years back. I might go for that series a bit later, particularly since Saga is so difficult to find. I never owned a Saturn either, but I remember one of the old games being on Orta...

Orta is a masterful game, my favourite Xbox game in fact. Rez is essential if you enjoyed Orta really, same gameplay and sort of 'trip' feel surrounding the entire game. Saga is worth it. Trust me (one of the very few RPGs I love). As for Zwei, I'd get that, it's much better than the original, which in itself was far ahead of its time. The entire series is perfect at what it does, nothing faulty with the games at all. Very much epic gaming, enjoy it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Martin » Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Summary of the whole series for you:

RE1 = GC, RE2 = PS1 (controls are nutty on the GC, and it is NOT an actual remake, just a port), RE3 = PS1 (same reasons as stated before for number 2), RE4 = GC/PS2 (whichever suits you the best, I personally enjoyed the PS2 version more for the story summary via Ada's new side story missions, since I got a better understanding of what was going on, plus it features Wesker, always a good thing), RE0 is not essential, I found it a bit crap, to be honest. RE Survivor is for purests only, it's very slow and drags on a bit, but has a great finale, the RE Survivor 2 game (Code Veronica arcade game) is extremely rare, and goes at a high price and was only released in Japan, I'd skip it, it ain't really worth it, but it's far better than its predecessor.

Code Veronica X is an essential buy, for the PS2, since it includes all of the missing material on the other version. Make sure you get the 'X' version and not the original, otherwise you'll be asking yourself 'where the hell did Wesker come from' and 'whatever happened to Steve' etc. Then there is Dead Aim, which is just like Survivor; rather sluggish and slow, but rather fun as well, not essential, like before; it's only really for RE nuts, like myself. And finally Outbreak files #1 and #2. Good games, well worth the price, even though the online services are now gone, the game itself is still a joy to play for people wondering what happened to the civilians caught up in the Raccoon City outbreak, and whether any of them actually escaped the madness.

I disagree slightly. For me, the definitive versions of RE go like this:

RE: PC
RE2: N64
RE3: PC/DC
RE4: GC (the Wii one will probably overtake this)

The PC/DC versions allow one to skip the loading door screens and that, while the N64 version of RE2 is the rarest, but not only that, features things not found in any other version. I don't know much about the Gun Survivor games, I just heard that they were to be avoided. The best version of Veronica is arguably the GC port, as it retains all the X features and scenes, but has slightly better graphics. And the PAL conversion on the PS2 version was awful, whereas the GC one has full 50Hz optimization, and a proper 60Hz mode. Not sure that matters for him, though.

I enjoyed RE0, but I agree it's not the best game in the world. However, I loved REmake. I personally think it's the best game in the entire series, including RE4.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm

Yeah, REmake is the best version of RE1, loved it. Gone is the awful VA, gone is the crap controls, gone is the camp music score. It has so many features the original doesn't, and is far more chilling.

I'd go for RE2 as my favourite in the series though, I still have trouble getting over the fact that they didn't remake that for the GC, and instead just released a shite port that is identical to the PS1 version, with nothing new at all, and crap controls. Why do this Capcom?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu May 31, 2007 6:47 pm

A RE2 overhaul would be killer.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby ToL » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:27 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Orta is a masterful game, my favourite Xbox game in fact.

Orta was fantastic. With it being developed by a team other than Team Andromeda, I was kind of sceptical to play it. I did find comfort in the fact that 7 or 8 of the guys who were with T.A did merge into Smilebit. And I'm so glad I didn't miss it - a fantastic game and certainly my favourite on the Xbox as well. I thought the part where Azel left a message in the system for Orta was extremely touching.

Rez is essential if you enjoyed Orta really, same gameplay and sort of 'trip' feel surrounding the entire game

I have Rez on the DC. Extremely trippy and the music kicks ass. Whenever I play it, I have to have the volume right up, which causes bit of an upset for everyone else. But it's the only way to really play it.
The boss that turns itself into a running man reminds me of Xiga from the end of Radiant Silvergun. Quality gaming, get it and enjoy it, but make sure you have the vibration pack.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:32 pm

I hate every RE that isn't 4.

I love Silent Hill 2 though.

I recently bought Panzer Dragoon Saga from ebay. I have all of the PD's except 1 and 2. Although, I do have 1 since it comes in Orta, but I want the actual game physically.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Neo Matrix » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:03 pm

I was looking through my PS1 games and found that I somehow have Silent Hill 1. Looks like it might be worth adding that series to the list.

What's Syphon Filter like? I got the PS1 pair a few weeks ago, but I haven't played them yet. What games continue that series?
Henry Spencer wrote:RE1 = GC, RE2 = PS1 (controls are nutty on the GC, and it is NOT an actual remake, just a port), RE3 = PS1 (same reasons as stated before for number 2), RE4 = GC/PS2 (whichever suits you the best, I personally enjoyed the PS2 version more for the story summary via Ada's new side story missions, since I got a better understanding of what was going on, plus it features Wesker, always a good thing).

Code Veronica X is an essential buy, for the PS2, since it includes all of the missing material on the other version.
What's nutty about the GC controls for RE2, 3 and I assume Veronica?

Martin: If I'm not missing anything majorly content/gameplay-wise I'd rather just go for the same console, which makes me think that getting all the GC versions is the way to go, however RE4 is gonna be a difficult one, one one hand I can get the graphically better American GC one off a friend (he keeps hyping up the water effects), but on the other the PS2 version has the side story... once you complete the game. Worth getting both?

Here's what I've managed to get in the last month or so. Some I got because they were mint trade-ins, others I got to complete the 2/4 for £20 deals.
  1. Zelda: Twilight Princess
  2. F-Zero GX
  3. Mario Kart Double Dash
  4. P.N.03
  5. Starfox Adventures
  6. MGS Twin Snakes
  7. Metroid Prime
  8. Metroid Fusion (plus GBA Link cable)
  9. Zelda Link to the Past/4 Swords
  10. Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (I think that's the name)
  11. Link's Awakening DX
  12. Conkers Bad Fur Day (Was selling for £35 until a couple of days ago, got it for £4)
  13. Shadowman
  14. Donkey Kong 64 (same situation as Conkers BFD)
  15. Ninja Gaiden
  16. Dead or Alive Ultimate 1/2
  17. Dead or Alive 4
  18. Shadowman: 2nd Coming
  19. Onimusha Warlords
  20. Project Zero
  21. Driv3r
  22. GTA III
  23. GTA: San Andreas
  24. GTA: Liberty City Stories
  25. Nightshade (I already have the Japanese version of Shinobi)
  26. KoF Maximum Impact
  27. MGS2 Sons of Liberty
  28. Okami
  29. Yakuza
The PS1, PC and Dreamcast games are in another room, and I can't be bothered to shuttle between them to type the list. The American GC version of RE4 is a possibility when I get paid, buying it off someone at work, and FF Crystal Chronicles is another. Gonna add Prince of Persia and Metroid to the list too.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:38 pm

I take it you've played MGS1 already, otherwise, you've made the wrong decision, since the PS1 version is far better. In the Gamecube version, you get terrible lip synching, heavy use of slow motion (referred to as many: Matrix style action cutscenes), voice acting which doesn't match up to the PS1 version (re-recorded by the same people, they didn't crack onto it again the second time around), over-exagerrated movements from the characters, the game actually, isn't even developed by Konami at all. It was developed by a seperate game company altogether; Silicon Knights. And you know what happens when a different games company try to remake what was done before so effectively? Exactly.

RE 1, 2 and Code Veronica all are even harder to control with the GC controller, than they are with the PS1 controller I think, it was a waste of my money, since I already owned them for the PS1, and i was under the impression it was going to be like REmake; with tons of new things and updated graphics. Silly mistake.

Syphon Filter is pretty much 24: the game (or what it should have been named). Pick it up if you enjoy that sort of espionage action. The series goes in this order: 1, 2 and 3 for the PS1 (you only have the first two, right?) And then there is Omega Strain for the PS2, and Dark Mirror for the PSP. The best games in the series for me, are 1 and 2.

About Zelda: it was confirmed from the assistant director of most of the series that Ocarina of Time was the first of the entire series in the timeline, so I advise you pick that up if and when you can.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:41 pm

For controller issues, it just takes a bit of getting used to. I found it hard to play RE4 on the PS2 after playing it so much on the GC.

I take it you've played MGS1 already, otherwise, you've made the wrong decision, since the PS1 version is far better. In the Gamecube version, you get terrible lip synching, heavy use of slow motion (referred to as many: Matrix style action cutscenes), voice acting which doesn't match up to the PS1 version (re-recorded by the same people, they didn't crack onto it again the second time around), over-exagerrated movements from the characters, the game actually, isn't even developed by Konami at all. It was developed by a seperate game company altogether; Silicon Knights. And you know what happens when a different games company try to remake what was done before so effectively? Exactly.

Spot on. I think I tried to be optimistic, but I ended up kidding myself. Kojima made a big mistake hiring Kitamura. I saw his film Versus after I played the game, I thought it was fucking worse. One of the few films I didn't even bother finishing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby ToL » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:38 am

Good man on getting those DoA games. Now stick DoA4 on and kick some ass!!!

PS: What's Project Zero like? That game (and its sequel) stare at me everytime I venture into Gamestation, but I'm not sure its worth the asking fee of 7.99 GBP or not.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:52 am

Henry Spencer wrote:I take it you've played MGS1 already, otherwise, you've made the wrong decision, since the PS1 version is far better.
I have the PS1 version, but in all these years never got to give it a decent crack. The Twin Snakes I got was a mint condition trade-in, so I just jumped at it and the seperate storyline chance.

Henry Spencer wrote:RE 1, 2 and Code Veronica all are even harder to control with the GC controller, than they are with the PS1 controller I think, it was a waste of my money, since I already owned them for the PS1, and i was under the impression it was going to be like REmake; with tons of new things and updated graphics. Silly mistake.
Kenny™© wrote:For controller issues, it just takes a bit of getting used to. I found it hard to play RE4 on the PS2 after playing it so much on the GC.
So it's possible, as I haven't played an RE game enough to get into it, that the GC controls might be easier for me to pick up?

Henry Spencer wrote:Syphon Filter is pretty much 24: the game (or what it should have been named). Pick it up if you enjoy that sort of espionage action. The series goes in this order: 1, 2 and 3 for the PS1 (you only have the first two, right?) And then there is Omega Strain for the PS2, and Dark Mirror for the PSP. The best games in the series for me, are 1 and 2.
So there's three others to look out for. Is 24: The Game any good?

Henry Spencer wrote:About Zelda: it was confirmed from the assistant director of most of the series that Ocarina of Time was the first of the entire series in the timeline, so I advise you pick that up if and when you can.
I have all 3 versions already (original N64, GC Collectors Edition and Master Quest).

TiredofLife wrote:Good man on getting those DoA games. Now stick DoA4 on and kick some ass!!!
Still working on the costumes. I'm worried about letting my younger sisters play it, they button mash so much it's really hard to beat them.

TiredofLife wrote:PS: What's Project Zero like? That game (and its sequel) stare at me everytime I venture into Gamestation, but I'm not sure its worth the asking fee of 7.99 GBP or not.
Heh, I did the same thing (and I work there). My assisstant manager convinced me to give it a go. Haven't played it yet, but his recommendations are always good. Unfortunately this was after the trade-in sequel was sold.

Now to get to work and glare at anyone pronouncing Senko no Ronde incorrectly. :lol:
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby SpikyAd » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 am

Metal Gear Solid - 1,2,substance and 3.
Final Fantasy - 4,6,7,8,9,10,12. Not played 11 and buying the others when I can.
Pro evolution - 1-6
Grand Theft Auto - GTA III, GTA: LCS, GTA: VC, GTA: SA
Broken Sword 1,2 and 3. Need 4..
Monkey Island: 1,2,3 and 4.
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:49 pm

If you had bother with playing MGS1 for the PS1, then the GC version will be a breeze. It's one of the easiest games I've ever played, the implementation of the MGS2 system makes the game far too easy for my liking. Since the general gameplay for MGS1 is really only challenging without the MGS2 mechanics (such as first person shooting, peeking around corners, camera being closer to the player etc), it's your choice though.

24: The Game is alright. It's incredibly short, but doesn't leave much of a sweet taste at all. If you're a fan of the show, it's a given, you must own it. It is faithful to the television series, so you will enjoy it, it just gives the effect of the game being rather rushed. Good job this rushed game turned out okay in the end up.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming