Xbox 360 rpgs

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:28 am

The 360 is really getting a shit load of rpgs. Wii has some good ones coming, but the 360 might be the PS2 of this generation. As far as number of quality rpgs go.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:11 am

With Infinite Undiscovery.... I can understand what IGN is complaining about however the equip best equipment option has been used in every Tri-Ace RPG UNTIL Undiscovery.... and with 18 characters that would become annoying.

So the game is good but they focused all their attention on the development of Star Ocean 4 and as a result it is 75% of a game... haha fortunately SO4 will be on 360 too so no worries.
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:55 am

Beat Tales of Vesperia yesterday. I thought it was pretty awesome, though it was my first tales game so I don't know how it compares to the others. However, reviewers and the general consensus from gamefaqs says this is the best, if that means anything to anyone.

I really loved the characters, except for estelle really. I thought Karol would be the typical annoying jrpg kid, and he was at first, but I warmed up to him by the end of the game. I also loved the Yuri/Flynn personality and morality contrasts while working towards the same goal. The story was standard rpg fare, but it was really the characters that brought everything to life.

The artwork and graphics were great too. It was weird seeing the combination of cel shading, CG, and anime in one, though. It also had a really solid combat system, though I didn't really learn the more advanced moves as I went on, maybe on my next playthrough.

Basically, I'd definitely say this is the best JRPG on the 360, better than lost odyssey, and stomps the colon of eternal sonata...it's basically better than the latter in every way.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby ToL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 am

PirateMuffins wrote:Lost Odyssey didn't get too many great scores either but i loved the game personally, so i'm not too bothered about the reviews, will see how user reviews are, really want Tales aswell, just a shame it's not out here until next year.

Lost Odyssey has been not only the best JRPG for me this gen, but the best game hands down for me this gen. It will take something special to top it, yes, something even bigger than the next Final Fantasy.
LO was an absolute pleasure to play and it was fantastic to see it take turn based back to its roots.
Not to mention, it had one of THE most moving scenes ever in gaming history.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:31 am

ToL wrote:
PirateMuffins wrote:Lost Odyssey didn't get too many great scores either but i loved the game personally, so i'm not too bothered about the reviews, will see how user reviews are, really want Tales aswell, just a shame it's not out here until next year.

Lost Odyssey has been not only the best JRPG for me this gen, but the best game hands down for me this gen. It will take something special to top it, yes, something even bigger than the next Final Fantasy.
LO was an absolute pleasure to play and it was fantastic to see it take turn based back to its roots.
Not to mention, it had one of THE most moving scenes ever in gaming history.

What I realized made lost odyssey really good were all the cool scenarios you're put in....like the opening battle, the worm boss thing followed by the archers, escaping from the castle and fighting kakanas' tank, protecting mings city from those monsters in the water, etc. If you look at things like the battle system, characters, story and whatnot in vacuum, they're not really innovative, or not really overly impressive (except the 1000 years dreams), but I guess it's the old cliche of "it's better than the sum of its parts".
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Last Remnant comes out in a few days. About a week ago it was available for preorder from amazon.com for $40, forgot to post that here but hopefully anyone interested in it was able to find that deal.

New Star Ocean 4 trailer was released a few days ago. The graphics and battle system look pretty awesome, though the voice acting kind of sucks. The lead character is also called "EDGE MAVERICK!!@#@!"

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9033 ... 11408.html
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 am

Satoshi-kun wrote:I just got Tales today and I'm loving it. Starting out a bit slower than I'd like but I hear that it'll start picking up like Symphonia.

All of the Tales games are slow at the start... with the slight exception of a few.

As for Star Ocean 4 - it's like a Tales game in every way with some sci-fi elements.... which is because both series were started by the same people ;) (and still have their similarities)
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:01 pm

FUUUUCK

When you first begin The Last Remnant, you'll participate in a battle within moments of inserting the game disc, and chances are that you'll be struck by a glaring issue: The frame rate is awful, and the texture pop-in is shockingly bad. It's an issue you'll never quite get used to, considering that it mars the entirety of the experience. What a shame, because this long and fascinating Japanese role-playing game has a way of getting under your skin. It features a rich, original fantasy world, obviously crafted with great care and artistry, and it tells a strong, politically charged tale that will keep you glued to the screen. Although somewhat flawed, the battle system is fun to play around with, particularly in the second half when enormous armies go head to head in some dramatic, bloody showdowns. Had developer Square Enix not rushed an unfinished product to shelves, The Last Remnant could have been an instant classic. But even if the game isn't what it should have been, RPG fans should take this journey in spite of the game's technical defects.

:(

Supposedly the installs fix the problems a bit, and some people say the issues aren't THAT bad afterwards. I just hope this was a situation like Lost Odyssey where the review copies had more technical issues than the retail copies.

Regardless, I have this game coming in through amazon in a few days.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:23 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:The 360 is really getting a shit load of rpgs. Wii has some good ones coming, but the 360 might be the PS2 of this generation. As far as number of quality rpgs go.

Agreed.
While 2009 Wii will get a very good of lineup of hardcore games and many good looking RPGs also,360 just owns this gen in RPGs like as you say PS2 did last gen.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:FUUUUCK

When you first begin The Last Remnant, you'll participate in a battle within moments of inserting the game disc, and chances are that you'll be struck by a glaring issue: The frame rate is awful, and the texture pop-in is shockingly bad. It's an issue you'll never quite get used to, considering that it mars the entirety of the experience. What a shame, because this long and fascinating Japanese role-playing game has a way of getting under your skin. It features a rich, original fantasy world, obviously crafted with great care and artistry, and it tells a strong, politically charged tale that will keep you glued to the screen. Although somewhat flawed, the battle system is fun to play around with, particularly in the second half when enormous armies go head to head in some dramatic, bloody showdowns. Had developer Square Enix not rushed an unfinished product to shelves, The Last Remnant could have been an instant classic. But even if the game isn't what it should have been, RPG fans should take this journey in spite of the game's technical defects.

:(

Supposedly the installs fix the problems a bit, and some people say the issues aren't THAT bad afterwards. I just hope this was a situation like Lost Odyssey where the review copies had more technical issues than the retail copies.

Regardless, I have this game coming in through amazon in a few days.

I was just going to suggest getting the PC version... perhaps it won't have the same issues given you can control graphical oddities in most PC titles... but I guess it is too late. Anyhow a few flickering things and what not is no big deal.
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:10 am

I was checking out the Last Remnant reviews for 360 last night, im DEFINITELY waiting on the PS3 version of that now. I was considering maybe picking it up once I got a 360, but im definitely not now. Its a shame because square obviously rushed this out to have a big title released for the holidays... its looking like that plan may have backfired on them. But atleast the reviews are still saying its an excellent game glitches and bugs aside.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:10 am

I think the whole Holiday sales thing is pretty stupid. Games like these fly off the shelf year round... shovelware is what Christmas is about.... at least that is what sales numbers now indicate! :lol:
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SpikyAd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:21 am

My friend told me the Last Remnant sucks badly, so I'm going to give that a miss. I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII a lot as that looks promising and also the first Final Fantasy next gen. I hope it's good anyway, great RPGS like Final Fantasy 7,9,10, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Quest VIII will be hard to come by. I'm not sure if I should get Infinite Undiscovery or not, it's had mixed reviews...
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:38 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I was checking out the Last Remnant reviews for 360 last night, im DEFINITELY waiting on the PS3 version of that now. I was considering maybe picking it up once I got a 360, but im definitely not now. Its a shame because square obviously rushed this out to have a big title released for the holidays... its looking like that plan may have backfired on them. But atleast the reviews are still saying its an excellent game glitches and bugs aside.

Well, the reason the ps3 version was delayed was because they were having even more trouble optimizing the UE3 engine with the ps3 (apparently the UE3 engine generally runs like shit on the ps3). I do wish they delayed the 360 version to clean up the technical issues a bit. I suppose the ps3 version could run better, cause there's not really the holiday rush and I'm sure with all the negative feedback regarding the technical issues they'll spend more time optimizing it. I'm still considering returning the 360 version when it comes it, it just sucks cause I was REALLY anticipating this game. My saving grace is that technical issues aside, it's a really solid game.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LionheartUK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:53 pm

I've been playing The last remnant for about 30 hours so far and i'm still on Disk 1.

My First impressions was "omfg" in a bad way because the texture pop in is not acceptable for this generation and from SE. We all expect better not just myself.

Also the frame rate during big battles was slowing down and again i was like omfg when i seen this...

When changing areas or entering/leaving a building there was a lengthy 10 second loading screen that pops up each time aswell was extremely frustrating.

However after installing the game with nxe dashboard this game improved all of these flaws for me tenfold and it reduced the loading to 3-4 seconds when changing areas/buildings aswell and it basically became a better game to experience.

So after my rambling about the technical flaws in TLR these are my only major negatives about the game,Now for the positives.

The game is "massive" with many optional small side quests/battles and guild quests to complete which offer rewards and access to new areas when complete. Aswell as adding hours upon hours of gameplay.

There is also Rare monsters that appear randomly in certain areas accross the world which you gain rare items/guild quest rewards from.. It's a little like FFXII with the rare game,Travelling accross the map is similiar to FFXII aswell some areas are small but some are really big... The great sand sea comes to mind here.

The graphics although nothing special are solid and in some parts look very nice,The OST is solid and above average but it's certainly not a classic.

The battle system in my opinion is really fun but it can also be frustrating at the same time if you enter an area under skilled you can find yourself in a 15 minute + battle and get ko'd and have to reload your game but thanks to being able to save anywhere you want this shouldn't be a problem.

The battle system is fresh and adds something new to turn based.

The game starts off with only 1 union (party of 5 characters) at the begining of the game but it raises to upto 5 unions,As you get further into the game you can also recruit extra soldiers from towns to add to your unions,You can also change the formation of each union for extra attack/defense etc.

Actions are determined from battle command choices that are given to each union of fighters rather than just selecting attack/magic/item etc deffinatley more fun than any other turn based game of recent years.

There is a morale gauge bar at the top of the screen which rises and falls depending on your unions actions and failures (getting flanked and hit with a critical hit etc) and the higher the morale bar is the harder unions will strike there targets.

There is a QTE like part of the battle system aswell .. a button pops up on the screen and press that button at the right time for a critical hit and a morale boost which also skips an enemies attack turn, This also includes countering and guarding etc.

There is limit break/overdrive like special abilities from the main characters but are only used sparingly rather than nearly every battle.

Armour and weapons around the towns can be upgraded or dismantled You would need to obtain specific items that drop off monsters/rare game in order to upgrade your goods and it adds hours of gameplay to boot.

I am not even half way through the game so far so i can not really comment too much on the story but the game is based around a young man whose sister is kidnapped and his parents are researchers that have gone missing and there is also a man by the name of the conqueror who is after remnants for himself although reasons are unknown yet as i haven't found out. There is also some mysterious guy aswell who is trying to destroy the remnants.

To top off my opinions of the game

Positives : Great battle system with solid graphics and sound,The game has extreme longetivity with hunts,upgrades,sidequests it is massive.

Negatives : *Shoddy texture pop ins and slow down in busy battles which should not exist in this day and age and too many frequent load screens* also some of the voice overs in the battles are annoying as they get repeated and sounds cheap after a while.

* Installing the game to hard drive with the new NXE makes these negatives a lot easier to live with.

Final thoughts : I've not completed the game yet or near to completion so i can not really score it but so far it's been a really enjoyable experience that has been slightly dampened by the texture,load,frame rate issues.

One things for sure i'll never trust or take a game sites/magazine review seriously ever again as most have given this game 6-7/10 and imho it's a much better game than that it's a solid Jrpg.
LionheartUK
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming