Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby OL » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 am

Eh, the alien designs end up being silly, but otherwise it's like a Star Trek episode without all the dumb shite that usually makes Star Trek such a turnoff to me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:25 pm

OL wrote: Eh, the alien designs end up being silly, but otherwise it's like a Star Trek episode without all the dumb shite that usually makes Star Trek such a turnoff to me.

Not that you can't not like Star Trek or anything, but I'm curious what dumb stuff you're referring to.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:40 pm

OL wrote: Eh, the alien designs end up being silly, but otherwise it's like a Star Trek episode without all the dumb shite that usually makes Star Trek such a turnoff to me.

I hate to say this but... Shut Up OL :P
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Thief wrote:Not that you can't not like Star Trek or anything, but I'm curious what dumb stuff you're referring to.

Don't want to shit all over something you like, but it's a number of things. The silly costumes and makeup, the constant on-the-nose situations and cultures that parallel current events and issues (it's all just way too obvious to be affecting), the general stiffness of it all. And when it's not giving off an uptight air, any attempts at humor have always just fallen flat for me, and come off as kind of cringe-worthy.
As a general rule, it all just comes off as silly and cheesy to me, with some small exceptions here and there. It's mostly the original series that's at fault (I have no idea how some people think it still holds up today), but the rest of them suffer in my mind just by being related to it.
I certainly don't hate it by any means, I just can't really comprehend the overwhelming love that it gets. It's just not my bag I guess. Same way I feel about Doctor Who. And the grand majority of sci-fi tv shows, for that matter.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Ah no don't feel too bad :P I'm not even really much of a fan of Star Trek, I was just curious. I watched a lot of Next Generation when I was a kid (even had Star Trek action figures... lol) but that's about where my love the the series ends. I can kind of see where you're coming from, I think there are definitely plenty of episodes that I think are really well done, but there are about an equal number of episodes that really aren't. It's pretty much a mixed bag for me. Overall I like the show for what it is but I can definitely understand your complaints. I don't really have any experience with the other Star Trek shows though.

EDIT: Plus... my "Star Trek"-esqe show is essentially UC Gundam anyway. For me it's not Star Trek vs Star Wars, but instead, Gundam vs Macross :lol:

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 pm

Uuuhhhhh, this one.

Also finally grabbed a copy of PAL Shenmue II for Dreamcast. Only had it on Xbox previously. Always wanted this, but kept putting it off. I finally wise up and get it just now, and it put me out 119 bucks. Ah well.

Now if someone could just direct me toward somewhere to download a boot disc, I'd be appreciative.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:04 am

Holy crap 120 for Shenmue 2 lol. Just wait though, that price is SURE to sky rocket now. Glad mine is safe and sound! Trust me it is. I just spent way too long looking at it going "I told you, its fucking time. Its about fucking time."

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... cast-boot/

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 am

Yeah, I was surprised by the price too, but it was actually the lowest I found (some were as high as 300 something), and not even in the worst condition. I was eying it just yesterday, funny enough. Once I saw that announcement today, I know I'd better jump on it, lest it become like Snatcher; always a few listings available on ebay, yet always way out of my price range.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:14 am

I just backed for the $300 pledge as well. I just sold a bunch of games to make that money, but this feels like a great place to put it honestly. I'm so happy today.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Mitsuzuki, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 am

Damn. I still have my imported copy of Shenmue 2 for the DC somewhere. In fact, I was just looking up how much its worth these days the other day. The most I saw was $45. Bet that 's going to be a lot higher now.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 am

Around now is probably the best time to sell it, honestly, since the hype is so real. (not that I would... YO BACK OFF... I see you eyeing my Shenmue II copy... it's mine!)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Calshot » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:58 am

Calshot has received a thanks from: Raithos
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 am

Just started playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. I enjoyed the first one and even Mirror of Fate. This one isn't my favorite to be honest. I think it suffers from feature creep in that they tried to add way too much to this game and it just comes off as confusing. I am only about 3-4 hours in and I have gotten so lost and confused many times. Its not bad, but they just needed to simplify it more.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Terra_Matters » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 pm

can't wait for thursday :D

Terra_Matters has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Terra_Matters