Project X Zone

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Project X Zone

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:26 am

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I know most stuff, theres a few enemies I don't know but thats it I even recognize the stages before they say where they are.

the bunny guy was Ciseaux from Sakura Taisen 3, I think its like Glycine or Erica but he's a part of one of their storylines and you fight him at the Eiffel tower. I don't remember what his plan was (thats kind of how Sakura Taisen flows, its formulaic in that theres a play, then you learn about one of the girls, then you have to interact with her because the bad guy is trying to do something bad to her or loved one, and then theres a fight with big robots)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 am

Yeah I suck at strategy RPGs bad. At a point in PXZ I quit. Four major enemies attacking me at one and even thier counter attacks take a 3rd or half my health. When they do a super attack they take about 2/3s of it. Dural esp and some giant black robot. Just Game Over,Game Over,Game Over,Game Over etc.. I have been trying for hours but I just suck and it's very hard for me. So I quit. I was at least hoping I would get to Mega Man. All I really wanted to see. yeah watch he is in the next stage I will never get to :sad:

My newfound enthusiasm for the genre just plummeted. So now lost interest
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:33 am

Ryudo wrote: Yeah I suck at strategy RPGs bad. At a point in PXZ I quit. Four major enemies attacking me at one and even thier counter attacks take a 3rd or half my health. When they do a super attack they take about 2/3s of it. Dural esp and some giant black robot. Just Game Over,Game Over,Game Over,Game Over etc.. I have been trying for hours but I just suck and it's very hard for me. So I quit. I was at least hoping I would get to Mega Man. All I really wanted to see. yeah watch he is in the next stage I will never get to :sad:

My newfound enthusiasm for the genre just plummeted. So now lost interest

Oh I remember that stage, the one with Phantom. I got a game over because Dural killed Akira and Pai.

The thing with that stage, and well just about any game in the genre is patience. I mostly bunched up my guys, countered a lot and made sure to get as much support as possible in per attack. Also since I was countering I'd generally end up with more XP then I used to counter, so when it was my time to attack, I'd hit them with each of the directional attacks, get the +1, then got for a "Critical" with my Special. Granted a lot of that is reflex based actually. Its also one of the few stages where I actually used healing items, generally I don't need em. I'm at like 20 green herbs right now.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:36 am

I would be ok if I had the ability to shop for herbs but the game at least for me is very stingy at giving any. :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 am

Ryudo wrote: I would be ok if I had the ability to shop for herbs but the game at least for me is very stingy at giving any. :???:

Whats your normal battle like? The tutorials are crap, and the battles are actually pretty complicated.

It took me a few stages to get the flow of things, but you can generally get health items by either getting a critical, breaking a shield, or getting a special finisher.

I'm not completely sure what causes criticals in every situation but I know if you time it just right and get your attack in just before an enemy hits the ground after a launcher, it'll cause a critical (each one also adds XP and EXP) also if your XP is over 100 by the end, and you hit Y just as the enemy is going to land after a launch it'll also do a critical, plus you get a ton more EXP if it kills the enemy.

I don't remember them explaining this in the tutorials, and you likely figured out, but its worth repeating, specials don't count towards your number of attacks so its best to use them to finish up a good combo string. You can easily get in over 100 hits and halve a bosses health if you use a solo character, a support combo, and hit them with a special at the end of a combo where you got a +1

Also I just got X and Zero like a stage or 2 ago so they're actually pretty deep in.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:03 am

They should have given Mega Man early and fuck all these other characters I have no idea about. I think that is one this I am disapointed in. It needs more retro characters. It has a few in there and good ones but not enough of them. Why I love using Ryu so much when I can when his theme hits I let the sucker play before I hit A for the next dialogue box.

As for what I do. I am still not sure how it works so I kinda just hit buttons sometimes. I looked at the bottom screen and hit the single buttons it said and not much of anything happened. So then I mashed and then shit happened. I also tried with hit or miss results some combos. Tutorial just said here is an enemy move in squares then kill enemy oh and yeah Y breaks shit now go play.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 am

Ahh yeaaa the tutorial is a piece of shit. This is actually a really technical game which is why people who like fighting games get really into it.

See, normally every move is a launcher. If you hit "A" at the end of the attack it'll send the enemy flying either up, or to the left. The point right before the enemy is going to hit the ground is where you want you attack to hit. That varies per character, per attack.

Before I get into that, Each unit has a Neutral, Left, Right, Up and Down attack. Well they will over time, they gain more attack and more attack points as the game goes on. When you choose to attack someone you get as many attack points as you have attacks. So if a character has L,R, N you get three, and if you use all three types of attack you'll get a bonus attack. If I were to use L, N, R or R, L, N I'd get the +1 but if I did L,L,N or L, N, N I'd be stuck with those three attacks.

I usually save the neutral attack for last since generally that one cuts across the center of the screen, and its effect is instant. So you can get a lot of critical if you get a good feel for everyones neutral attack.

Perhaps the most important part though is when you have enough XP (Cross points...took me forever to realize this is what replaced BP, and that its not actually experience)

When you've got a special, and you do a combo like the one I showed above, then finish it with a special thats timed right, you can fuck the bosses in the earhole in one or two turns.

oh, one last thing, Support and Solo attacks don't cost anything, so abuse the shit out of em, when they hit, and you hit, it'll put the enemy in Cross stun, thats where the X shows up. Basically every alternating hit resets it and it keeps the enemy in one spot so you can wail on em.

To keep this whole train going I usually will start a fight by calling in both solo and support at the same time, then hitting the first attack type, from there I'll hold down the button for the next attack type and just keep tapping "A" until I see its been used (theres a set of little d-pad icons just above your XP gauge in the lower right, its sold if the attack haven't been used yet, but it goes transparent if the attack gets used) I just rinse and repeat that until I've thoroughly fucked everything on screen.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Surprised AG is not playing this game. It has Xenosaga,Rennosance of Fate and Xenobooobs
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

wtf there was never a knife right there... its only purpose is for pure fan service! Which... I quite like now that I think about it. :devillaugh:

and I have plenty of Xenosaga Doujinshi to keep me satisfied ;-)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to General Gaming