Achievement Unlocked: Watched Television

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Achievement Unlocked: Watched Television

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 am

MS is clueless that you need a separate box still to use the cable. If you have a Roku box which does all MS was going on about. It can be used as a cable box as well with Time Warner with an app. MS should have just done a deal with Comcast or something. Hell even the Wii U seems to have a robust TV option without a second box. Just typical MS is making things more complicated than it needs to be.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 25, 2013 12:05 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: Its another one of those Patents that i really hope goes no where.

I'm surprised MS even made such a big deal out of TV seeing as 1. Its only available in the US at launch and 2 you need an add on for it to work :lol:

I think you're being kind of in denial if you think that this type of this isn't going full steam ahead. There's already demand and precedent for these sorts of things with sites such as Miso, GetGlue and Trakt.tv. The difference here is that a camera can actively watch you to make sure you're not "cheating" or some other such nonsense achievements.

Phil Harrison: Yep. Microsoft has very, very good policies around privacy. We're a leader in the world of privacy, I think you'll find. We take it very seriously. We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -red-rings
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Yama » Sat May 25, 2013 12:36 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:Either way, it opens up a new door of creativity, but instead I can see it going the way Kenny suggested

Yeah, more or less how I feel. I'm supportive of any type of progression, no matter how gimmicky as long as it isn't forced, but Microsoft are the kings of presenting things in an overbearing manner.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 pm

^Kinect isn't a gimmick being forced? Wiimote was forced and not everybody took to that either (still sold like hotcakes, sure, but there was a lot of bitching).

Who Really Cares? wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: Its another one of those Patents that i really hope goes no where.

I'm surprised MS even made such a big deal out of TV seeing as 1. Its only available in the US at launch and 2 you need an add on for it to work :lol:

I think you're being kind of in denial if you think that this type of this isn't going full steam ahead. There's already demand and precedent for these sorts of things with sites such as Miso, GetGlue and Trakt.tv. The difference here is that a camera can actively watch you to make sure you're not "cheating" or some other such nonsense achievements.

Phil Harrison: Yep. Microsoft has very, very good policies around privacy. We're a leader in the world of privacy, I think you'll find. We take it very seriously. We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

Then why do they give achievements for showing off a product to the Kinect?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Who knows and IF they do it? It still wont effect me as i do most my viewing on demand so i can skip all the ads.

Again its at this time just a patent and MS go through a lot of those things that never lead to anything so its wait and see. But never has a video been so appropriate as the one in the link.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat May 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Massive companies make patents all the time and never use them.

I remember seeing on TV once some company that had patented a leash you could attach to a snake to take it for a walk. Just because they have the idea it doesn't mean they're going to do it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm

At this point though why wouldnt they do it? Get an achievment for watching TV? Its a genious way to get people to watch what you want them to watch. I cant wait to see all the people getting achievements for being advert whores.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Let them. I'll stick to watching my TV shows and should they give me points that I ignore anyway I couldn't care less. It would be different if halfway through an episode of Breaking Bad I had to do a dance to unlock the achievement and only then would it carry on.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yama » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:^Kinect isn't a gimmick being forced?

I know, hence why I said "but Microsoft are the kings of presenting things in an overbearing manner" right? :p
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat May 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:

So I see you aren't doing anything but regurgitating Microsofts BS. One, He's the VP of XBox what he say is NOT just some rumor. Two, they have confirmed yes you can turn off Kinect but when it's off, it's in standby, and it is STILL listening. Geez, stop being a drone and think for a second.

Of course Microsoft isn't gonna say "Yes, chaps, we're gonna spy on you. Awesome innt?" Also, Microsoft does the same exact thing that Google does concerning privacy, yet they attack Google. Until you learn that you're unskilled attempts to school me aren't working, I'll still admire your persistence, at least.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Do you wear a tin foil hat by any chance? How is it being a drone by posting something someone from MS said saying they will not use Kinect to spy on people? I suppose posting official word on it rather than just going down the big corporation are evil route makes people drones now :roll:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat May 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Do you wear a tin foil hat by any chance? How is it being a drone by posting something someone from MS said saying they will not use Kinect to spy on people? I suppose posting official word on it rather than just going down the big corporation are evil route makes people drones now :roll:

I wear no tin foil hat, and I'm no conspiracy theorist. I think you have to be full-on crazy to just ignore the things Microsoft says. It's just when they keep saying different things their reliability goes out the window. You can be excited about Xbox One all you want, it's your choice and I don't judge you for it. I myself won't stand up for the anti-consumer practices that the company and game publishers are displaying. Not for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or anyone. But I digress.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 25, 2013 3:57 pm

End of the day you are getting upset over something that's not even official.

You also don't pay attention if you think i defend everything MS does [or might do one day in this case] But hey if you want to ignore that cool.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

I think I should clear something up a bit, I'm not trying to antagonize you and I think that you're a pretty cool guy. I disagree with you a lot on XBone and I think there's a bit of cognitive dissonance at play, probably on both of our sides. I'll continue to call out anything I think is complete BS though. Cheers. :mrgreen:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 25, 2013 4:10 pm

:lol:

Ive got no problem calling BS out but all I'm saying is at the moment nothing is official and Patents come and go..

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120240223.pdf
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming