Assassin's Creed Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4/XB1)

Postby Oppy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

^I was really looking forward to Unity but after reading this i'm in the same boat. Ubi said on many occasions that Unity was a step up for the series and that they would be taking full advantage of the XBO/PS4s capabilities (hence no ps3/360 release), well what a load of shit that seems to be! That would mean this gen gives us hugely dense populated areas, and smoother models and textures, What else? the ps4 version cant even run at 30 fps for fuck sake... Reading that article has left such a bitter taste in my mouth being an AC fan and all. looks like I'll be getting Rogue instead..
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Raithos » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Dang that's bad. My friend said it ran like crap, but he complains about everything so I figured he was full of it. Guess not. Glad I'm still playing through Black Flag right now.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:04 am

No offense to anyone, but this all sounds like a bit of an overreaction.
Watch the video in that link; does the framerate honestly look all so unacceptable to you? It looks totally fine to me. Some might say this is the kind of thing you can't pick up on in youtube videos, but that's a lie; the very first Assassin's Creed all those years ago really did have major framerate problems, and you can absolutely see it in online videos.
Unity though? I'm seeing nothing terrible whatsoever. Saying it "runs like crap" is silly. Their little counter in the corner can say it's dropping to 28 all it likes, but I'm seeing no effect on the gameplay at all. It looks beautiful to me.

Why does everyone focus on numbers so much? I can understand taking issue with the actual resolution, to some extent, but being upset about a perfectly functional 30fps seems really nitpicky and inconsequential, when the rest of the game still looks just as appealing and fun as everything that was shown pre-release.
I don't have a PS4 yet, but this will almost certainly be the first game I grab up when I get one. I look at "problems" like this and feel no apprehension about the game at all.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am

OL it is definately something that is harder to notice in youtube videos.
My friend who bought this complained to me about how when he runs through a crowd it starts stuttering, also when in combat with many enemies and climbing up detailed parts of buildings the frame skipping is really very noticable. Sure it may not be gamebreaking and alot of people may be able to look past the issue, but after playing a heap of ps4 games that run smoothly at 60fps, 30fps should be the bare minimum, since it struggles to run even at 30,it is quite dissapointing.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:13 am

I'm sure AC fans will live, but for everyone else when you dip down to 18 fps from 28 its pretty noticable and after playing some games at 60 even more so.
So with some further optimization down the line and a cheaper price, this will make for a better buy. Until then ill play something else.

I also cant really get excited about the idea that this is a game that could have been delayed to make it a better product right off the bat, but instead its an AC game so better release it when the yearly egg timer goes off! Get the game out the door and fix it later.. our share holder meeting has to show overwhelming sales again YOY.

Just imagine how great the AC games would be if they werent held to a BS yearly policy. Better graphics, more innovation, better story, DLC that doesnt feel overtly like removed content or that could have better value.. heck maybe even better sales too.

Didnt AC2 come out a couple years after 1? Look at the very noticible improvement there. Look at the noticable improvement on any game not held to a yearly release policy for that matter.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:50 am

OL wrote: No offense to anyone, but this all sounds like a bit of an overreaction.
Watch the video in that link; does the framerate honestly look all so unacceptable to you? It looks totally fine to me. Some might say this is the kind of thing you can't pick up on in youtube videos, but that's a lie; the very first Assassin's Creed all those years ago really did have major framerate problems, and you can absolutely see it in online videos.
Unity though? I'm seeing nothing terrible whatsoever. Saying it "runs like crap" is silly. Their little counter in the corner can say it's dropping to 28 all it likes, but I'm seeing no effect on the gameplay at all. It looks beautiful to me.

Why does everyone focus on numbers so much? I can understand taking issue with the actual resolution, to some extent, but being upset about a perfectly functional 30fps seems really nitpicky and inconsequential, when the rest of the game still looks just as appealing and fun as everything that was shown pre-release.
I don't have a PS4 yet, but this will almost certainly be the first game I grab up when I get one. I look at "problems" like this and feel no apprehension about the game at all.

Its not silly though, and its not a functional 30 fps. when you pay $60 for a game in 2014 and it can't keep 30 fps, that's silly. Developers have no excuse to release games like this. My friend said it stutters bad in large areas, the video doesn't really show any of that. Like AXM said if you are used to higher frame rate games its very noticeable. For some people its not, especially if you're not used to games with higher frame rates like most multi-player games. In most single player games the frame rate just needs to be consistent, not high, but its neither here. If it was able to hold that 30 fps no one would care. The first AC was worse because it dropped into the low teens more often than not. This only drops to 20 in the video, and I could tell when it did without even looking at the counter, especially when the camera was turning. When Farcry 3 launched it had problems worse than this, they released two patches within a month and it works flawlessly now. I'm sure they will have this patched before long. They aren't keen on leaving their games in this shape. That's one of the things I like about Ubisoft.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't care about Assassin's Creed, but this is hilarious (glitches and bugs compilation for Unity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkzIGSyjLQ

:lol1:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 pm

The arm-flapping one is actually AC3.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:27 pm

I find glitches like those hilarious. The no face/floating eyes one was in Farcry 3 as well lol. You would think that with most of their games sharing the same bugs they would be squashed by now. They're not too common though so probably hard to pin down.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Calshot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Who knew that the French Assassins were such big fans of Mammy?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Some more I saw on GAF:

Random NPCs interrupting a cutscene:

phpBB [video]

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 pm

lmao! at that scene.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jeff » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:55 am

I just bought an Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle. I have a PS4 too but what the hell... I own MSFT stock anyways. :eekyum:
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby ys » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Man, such negativity regarding the game and Ubisoft in general. Criticizing the review embargo, microtransactions, framerate issues (under 20 at times), Ubisoft's answer that lower fps is more cinematic, bugs, dull mission structure,...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930817
Ouch : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1178

I must agree though that the gaming media seems to be a bit stricter this generation. They have dared to hand out some lower scores this time, even to very high budget titles.

I wonder if this reaction is due to people being annoyed with the industry's practices in general? GTA5 still doesn't have heists, GT6 is still missing several features mentioned on the box, more recently Watchdogs and Destiny got criticized for not delivering compared to the PR-hype etc.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Axm » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:04 am

I heard it makes you download a ubisoft app or sign up for their website in order to complete certain missions. Thats kind of a pain in the ass and not my idea of a smooth experience.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming