The Elder Scrolls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Elder Scrolls

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

alright so im probably late as shit on this but im playing skyrim on ps3. i read that around 40 hours in, the game lags like no other. to the point of it being unplayable. anyone else here having this problem on ps3??? im currently at 31 hours. should i be worried?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 pm

perfect_chaos wrote:alright so im probably late as shit on this but im playing skyrim on ps3. i read that around 40 hours in, the game lags like no other. to the point of it being unplayable. anyone else here having this problem on ps3??? im currently at 31 hours. should i be worried?

From what I head some people downloading either DLC or a patch for PS3 made it go as low as 1FPS
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Ryudo wrote:From what I head some people downloading either DLC or a patch for PS3 made it go as low as 1FPS

i have the latest patch (1.3) but i have no DLC. i havent seen any problems....yet... everytime u save your game your save files become larger. when i i first started playing my save files were 1 or 2 MBs. now there about 6 or 7 MBs. and i read that the bigger your save files are the worse the problem get. i just dont want to get more addicted and more excited and more involved in the game than i am now and it be unplayable. that would suck! ide rather quit while im ahead.
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

perfect_chaos wrote:
Ryudo wrote:From what I head some people downloading either DLC or a patch for PS3 made it go as low as 1FPS

i have the latest patch (1.3) but i have no DLC. i havent seen any problems....yet... everytime u save your game your save files become larger. when i i first started playing my save files were 1 or 2 MBs. now there about 6 or 7 MBs. and i read that the bigger your save files are the worse the problem get. i just dont want to get more addicted and more excited and more involved in the game than i am now and it be unplayable. that would suck! ide rather quit while im ahead.

http://kotaku.com/5875004/next-skyrim-p ... -lag-issue

Theres a patch incoming but it might make things worse, all the others have.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm

as impressive as Skyrim seems, I have seen some videos that also make it seem completely fucking broken, so many glitches and buggy as hell. Regardless when and if I get it, it will be for PC when I actually have a gaming rig worth a damn, and when the GOTY version drops with the DLCs/expansions all bundled in.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:as impressive as Skyrim seems, I have seen some videos that also make it seem completely fucking broken, so many glitches and buggy as hell. Regardless when and if I get it, it will be for PC when I actually have a gaming rig worth a damn, and when the GOTY version drops with the DLCs/expansions all bundled in.

To be fair no such thing as Bethseda game not full og bad bugs. I was playing Morrowind the other day and all the sudden a guard started walking in air above my head. Also watched an enemy walk into a rock with it's head poking from the rock and it's back legs from behind the rock and it's legs kept walking but going nowhere.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 am

Skyrim is still worse lol. Probably one of the buggiest games I've ever seen, including proto builds.

i still love the game, but wow, some crazy shit happens
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:15 am

like roarcopter, and even the glitch in the BEGINING SCENE... I mean its funny and im sure all the bugs are easily fixed by just reloading a file, making them not game breaking but I have seen so many that its like... this game didnt get thoroughly tested like it really should have, did it? Or just shitty code engineers? Idk but you would think after so many of these glitchy games they would try to put more effort into fixing that.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:18 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:like roarcopter, and even the glitch in the BEGINING SCENE... I mean its funny and im sure all the bugs are easily fixed by just reloading a file, making them not game breaking but I have seen so many that its like... this game didnt get thoroughly tested like it really should have, did it? Or just shitty code engineers? Idk but you would think after so many of these glitchy games they would try to put more effort into fixing that.

I asked Manny this the other day. Turns out it's more simple. Great graphics are very expensive and this gen was so rushed. It's not like previous gens.

Then again Bethseda has always been like this. I enjoy Morrowind but sheesh they should have spent some more time ironing it out.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:42 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:like roarcopter, and even the glitch in the BEGINING SCENE... I mean its funny and im sure all the bugs are easily fixed by just reloading a file, making them not game breaking but I have seen so many that its like... this game didnt get thoroughly tested like it really should have, did it? Or just shitty code engineers? Idk but you would think after so many of these glitchy games they would try to put more effort into fixing that.

Basically like I told Ryudo, good animation and textures are REAAAAAALLY expensive, this generally means a smaller budget for QA, thats generally the first thing a company will downsize and the last thing they'll attempt to replace. Its really sad but take a look at some of the sequels that have come out, generally if you load up the credits for the second game you'll see they employed less testers, and for a third game, you'll see less.

As for the bugs some yes some no. The geometric ones yea, heck most aren't even that big of a problem, but theres been a few instances of the game using 256mb of available ram, other times a quest character will disappear from the map which effectively closes that line to you.

Theres a lot of glitches that break he games in a lot of ways big and small, so depending on the error you might have to restart the game, so if they never get around to cleaning it up completely, keep rotating 3 or 4 saves.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm

To be fair, the mask was my own stupidity, not the game just throwing it away for a laugh. ;-) Though for a while I was quite apoplectic about it.

Re: The bugs. I've only seen one REALLY bad one so far, where the dialogue options that should be there, aren't, so I can't get the "Speak to the Jarl" thingy off my mission list. Seen quite a few normal ones though, where collision detection goes funny and someone walks into a wall then appears on top, stuff falls off shelves when you walk inside places etc., but they're not a huge deal. I've had the framerate grind down a few times, for little apparent reason (there weren't too many special effects/NPCs kicking about at the time), but again, it was only an "annoyance" for a minute or two. If it did it all the time I'd probably fuck the disk up out of rage eventually though...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 pm

To be fair, with a game like ES, trying to find all the bugs and glitches with a dedicated QA team just can't compare to the millions of people who buy the game and play it. That's not to say a game should be released and have the public act as a QA team for an unfinished game, just that it is an inevitability that people within that huge group of players will encounter some glitches in a game of that magnitude.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Tuffty wrote:To be fair, with a game like ES, trying to find all the bugs and glitches with a dedicated QA team just can't compare to the millions of people who buy the game and play it. That's not to say a game should be released and have the public act as a QA team for an unfinished game, just that it is an inevitability that people within that huge group of players will encounter some glitches in a game of that magnitude.

Most of these bugs aren't variable based, they're algorithm based. It means that its not the numbers that make the problem its the formula. Its inevitable that people will find bugs theres no way around that, but they should find bugs that come as a result of very specific errors. In this case, its not specific at all. Many of the bugs are easily re-creatable and hard to avoid, with varying severity.

It has nothing to do with ES being huge, its the mechanics themselves, they wrote a game without really testing the formulas that make it run.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

im at 50 hours. my save files are 9 MB.....its laggin like A FUCKIN FOOL!!!!! and it just started out of nowhere last night. i already finished the main story so thats good (at least) the 1.4 patch thats coming out by the end of this month better fix the problem. fingers crossed hoping for the best but preparing for the worst... [-o<
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 pm

lol like clockwork, atleast you saw it coming and got to finish the main game. Back up your favorite save on a memory stick or something just in case. An ounce of prevention and all that rubbish.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming