Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby sand4fish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:26 am

Hmm You're right about none of the other clones having the same voices. TBH I have nothing against Sutherland, but the change seems drastic given the Japanese actor for Snake will continue to be the same one from all the previous games.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ys » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:47 am

Thief wrote: The longer it goes on, the more I'm convinced that replacing Hayter was the dumbest thing ever, so much so that I'm not even convinced it was Kojima's choice.

I remember some interviews after the announcement and it seemed to be his choice. Or they made it look that way at least. Apparently he knew some director in Hollywood who convinced him to change the voice actor and personally recommended Sutherland. The guy thought that it would improve the game (and likely give it more appeal).
I remember that Kojima spoke before about trying to make MGS4 more Western and wanted a more Hollywood-like script.

Besides that, he also mentioned that he wanted a deeper rawer voice as Snake now. I found this explanation weird though since Hayter seemed to be more gruff actually.

Henry Spencer wrote:It sounds to me like you guys aren't going to give Sutherland a chance anyway, since you've already made up your minds. :roll:

That's not the case for me really. And I don't think that he will do a bad job. What bothered me was the way Hayter was set aside considering his dedication to the series in general. It would have been decent to at least contact Hayter and discuss. Actually, in a way Kojima himself got a similar treatment now with the whole Konami situation.

PS Good interviews.
Last edited by ys on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 am

sorry, staffer, but count me in with the 'haters'...(see what i did there?! who cares?) :rotflmao:
MGS is hayter, and you may as well rip his vox box out of eternal darkness - sanity's requiem for ngc, if by any other.
he voices pious augustus...and just wouldn't be the same if others filled boots.
i'll stick with what i have. :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby OL » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:It sounds to me like you guys aren't going to give Sutherland a chance anyway, since you've already made up your minds. :roll:

Nah, not at all. I was just recently saying how excited I am for the game in the actual topic; wouldn't be saying that if there was anything about it that I was actually doing this [-( to.
I like Keifer Sutherland a lot. He's a great actor.
But when it comes down to it, I have my own personal preferences when it comes to this series (as does everyone who's ever played it), and to a great extent that includes Hayter's performances as Snake and Big Boss. I know you think its overdone and hammy, but hey, it's a particular sound I associate with a series I love, so I've always liked it regardless.
I don't think for even a moment that Sutherland is going to suck in the role, or necessarily make the game worse by any stretch. I just would have preferred to have some kind of aural continuity with the character's voice, if I'd had the choice.

I do have to say though, that the justifications for his replacement that have been given so far are pretty weak. If it's for an attempt to make it feel more "Hollywood," then why is the rest of the game still populated with the same old anime-style voice actors the rest of the series always had anyway? Sutherland is the only "Hollywood" piece of casting that they've changed, so that argument is kind of silly. Everyone else still sounds like any other videogame or anime.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Yu Suzuki​ is mentioned as one of the members of the auteur renaissance movement in Japan's game scene.
phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Dragon St. » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Good video, but those comments though. People are still thinking Sony is funding S3.... ](*,)
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:19 am

Started playing Left 4 Dead 2 recently. It's okay; not quite as rock-solid as I would have expected from a Valve game, but it's good all the same.
But the best thing about it: the insane size of its mod community.
I was able to find mods to turn the characters into Fry, Leela, Professor Farnsworth, and Bender, and another to turn all the common infected into Zoidberg, complete with Three Stooges-esque "woop woop woop" sound effects.
Most amazing thing ever?
Pretty damn close.

Also turned vending machines into Slurm machines, and molotov cocktails into bottles of Benderbrau.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:19 am

Will anyone cry when 360/PS3's online services close?
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:38 am

OL wrote: Started playing Left 4 Dead 2 recently. It's okay; not quite as rock-solid as I would have expected from a Valve game, but it's good all the same.
I was able to find mods to turn the characters into Fry, Leela, Professor Farnsworth, and Bender, and another to turn all the common infected into Zoidberg, complete with Three Stooges-esque "woop woop woop" sound effects.
Most amazing thing ever?
Pretty damn close.

Also turned vending machines into Slurm machines, and molotov cocktails into bottles of Benderbrau.

What about the original Futurama game for the Xbox?

Anyone play that? I bought the demo with the Xbox magazine that was out then, didn't seem that bad.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:43 am

:mrgreen: (futurama?)
yes!
have both the PAL-EUR retail version for the xbox, and ps2.
i thought it was a good game for it's time, and ideal for novices intermediaries.
my rates: 07/10. :P
[edit]
corrections.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 pm

OL wrote: Started playing Left 4 Dead 2 recently. It's okay; not quite as rock-solid as I would have expected from a Valve game, but it's good all the same.
Most amazing thing ever?
Pretty damn close.

I see the mod that turned all the zombies into teletubbies and that scared me more then PT.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Oh yeah, that one's fucking terrifying.
I also got an incredible one which turns the regular zombies into the xenomorphs from Aliens, and its amazing. Way scarier than zombies.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Many people seem to not think they're that scary, but I find Dinosaurs to be the scariest of the "movie monsters". The idea of dealing with velociraptors scares the bejeebus out of me.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong, velociraptors are terrifying too (or at least the idea of them in real life is), but in the confines of a videogame, I have yet to see dinosaurs pulled off in a legitimately scary way (really haven't even seen them attempted that way to be honest).

Anyway, my point was more so about how high quality this mod is. I mean just look at the modeling and texture work on these things:

A horde of those coming at you in a dark sewer tunnel is nothing to sneeze at.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 pm

OL wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong, velociraptors are terrifying too (or at least the idea of them in real life is), but in the confines of a videogame, I have yet to see dinosaurs pulled off in a legitimately scary way (really haven't even seen them attempted that way to be honest).

Anyway, my point was more so about how high quality this mod is. I mean just look at the modeling and texture work on these things:

A horde of those coming at you in a dark sewer tunnel is nothing to sneeze at.

I always thought xenomorphs looked slightly goofy walking upright. This is especially evident in games which are more prone to showing you the xenomorph running around at distance in a reasonably well lit environment.

Isolation is a scary game, I've watched someone play the first 4 or 5 hours and the only thing I found disappointing was the xenomorph itself, partly because of how it swaggers around.

Aaaaand now I'm off to watch the first Alien film.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming