Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Seems like Else Heart.Break() has some interesting systems there.

That I don't give a shit.

Also this forum if full of niggers and fags.

Internet is really fucked, it's scary how everything is anything, but some got your all.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Thief wrote: ^ I'd say stick it out, because like OL, I don't think the AI in this game is at all unfair. You probably just need a little more time to get used to the way they react to your presence, but once you learn the enemies behavior, they're really easy to manipulate. Once you're accustomed to it, then I imagine the rest of the game will be pretty easy for you... except mission 45... fuck mission 45.

This game doesn't have conventional difficulty measures, but there are still ways to make the game harder and easier. It starts you out on a "normal" difficulty, but you can make it harder by removing the x-ray feature and the reflex mode, or you can make it easier by using the chicken hat, using d-dog, or using quiet. I know you're having difficulty at the moment, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's like playing on European Extreme :P

Never said it was unfair, not sure why you guys are saying that. It's just hard as fuck to the point of being frustrating.

It certainly feels like EE, this Emmerich extraction mission. The other missions weren't that bad, i'm just stuck on one of the normal missions cause I need a rocket launcher to progress which is why i'm doing the extra ops. I thought I might as well get Emmerich since he'll be useful down the line, but fuck me I didn't know it was gonna be this long and hard ([insert "that's what she said" joke here]). Sounds like this mission 45 you're talking about is gonna be even more fun, yikes.

As far as why Europe has its own extreme setting, who knows why that's the case.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Amir » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 pm

south carmain wrote: I wonder why they called it "European extreme". Do European gamers have a reputation of being hardcore? Here that stereotype is more for Japanese and Koreans.

It was a bonus for Europe to make up for them being the last market to get the game(s).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Thief » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Kenny wrote:Never said it was unfair, not sure why you guys are saying that.

The reason I used the word unfair is because the things you were describing are things I would characterize as being a little unfair, but I realize you never explicitly used the word (and even went as far as to say you didn't think it was unfair), but I still felt that I should comment and say that I thought it wasn't unfair regardless.

As for mission 45, it's a different kind of annoying -- not really a sneaking kind.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:02 pm

I guess that makes sense, but I didn't mean it like that.

I went overboard with the whole "imbalanced gameplay" thing too. It's really just that one mission that really grinds my gears.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 pm

AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:15 am

Thief wrote:As for mission 45, it's a different kind of annoying -- not really a sneaking kind.

Is that the one where you have to stop/destroy/extract all the tanks and whatnot, on "extreme" mode or whatever (no reflex mode and all)?
Strangely enough that was some of the most fun I had in the game, running all over the map like a madman, finding ways to trick vehicles into stopping, planting mines or c4 on the ground and popping them off as the vehicles passed over. I think that was one of the few I got S-rank on with the first try, and in broad daylight no less. :lol:
Felt like an achievement for sure, so I'm not saying it's easy, but I had a blast with that one either way.

@Kenny, I think the game just expected you to take your time with it a little more. You say you're already running into Walker Gears, but don't have D-Dog yet... that's a far cry from my experience with it, where I was doing side-ops galore and had D-Dog at least ten hours before the walkers ever showed up. Yeah, probably kind of a balance issue for anyone who's just trying to see the story. As polished as the game is, there's a lot wrong with it. But truth be told, the story isn't really that great anyway. It's worth it for a select few scenes, and the implications that go with them, but the overall "conflict/villain/resolution" arc is... a big bowl of blah.
If I could make any recommendation, it would be to wholly just play the game for the gameplay itself, take your time with that; the story sits in the backseat. A very, very far cry from what one would normally expect from Metal Gear, but Kojima seems to have been trying something new.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:41 am

So I finally got inside the lab to get Emmerich (all you had to do was walk through the front entrance, how quaint) and after getting him out with the chicken machine, I had to play hide and seek with the new Metal Gear while I try to extract him.

Apparently while running away and getting to safety away from a huge scary machine, I managed to get outside the mission area which cancelled my mission.

I take it back. This shit is poorly designed. What the fuck was Kojima thinking, honestly. Maybe it was a good thing Konami fired him. Yeah, this was probably the reason why they fired him now that I think about it. I'd make him pack his shit up in a cardboard box and leave too after suffering through this god awful mission.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:57 am

well, i tried... :-({|=
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Kenny wrote: So I finally got inside the lab to get Emmerich (all you had to do was walk through the front entrance, how quaint) and after getting him out with the chicken machine, I had to play hide and seek with the new Metal Gear while I try to extract him.

Apparently while running away and getting to safety away from a huge scary machine, I managed to get outside the mission area which cancelled my mission.

I take it back. This shit is poorly designed. What the fuck was Kojima thinking, honestly. Maybe it was a good thing Konami fired him. Yeah, this was probably the reason why they fired him now that I think about it. I'd make him pack his shit up in a cardboard box and leave too after suffering through this god awful mission.

:lol:
So angry...
I did the exact same thing though, and I think Henry said he did as well. Yeah, the first instinct is to just throw Huey in a truck and haul ass out of there, but the game demands that you evade huge scary machine just enough to get on the chopper, because there's a sort of scripted bit on the chopper. As gameplay goes, it really is probably the worst-planned part in any of the missions, as it's pretty much the one place where you can't choose how to tackle it; I was pretty frustrated at having to start over myself. But then, the game wasn't quite so difficult for me personally, so it wasn't as big a deal having to restart.
If you decide to try again, I'd just recommend going in at night from the southern entrance to the base. From that direction, it's easy to mark most of the guys on the parking lots and heliport from afar, then all you have to do is make your way around to the left until you hit Huey's building. You can get back through it pretty quick if you do that, making the restart less painful.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:23 pm

shredingskin wrote: Seems like Else Heart.Break() has some interesting systems there.

That I don't give a shit.

Also this forum if full of niggers and fags.

Internet is really fucked, it's scary how everything is anything, but some got your all.

Dude are you drunk!?

After reading what Kenny wrote there, I'm gonna give this a miss, he wrote it pretty sensibly but there was definitely a sense of anger there! That sounds like the kinda game stuff that frustrates me, too.

Plus, I downloaded the Xbox Live free Game with Gold, Ground Zeros, and found I just couldn't be bothered with that gameplay style nowadays. Pity, 'cos MGS from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back is still one of my favourite gaming memories...

Got a shot of Destiny, which I get the impression I won't really be arsed with either. :???:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:After reading what Kenny wrote there, I'm gonna give this a miss, he wrote it pretty sensibly but there was definitely a sense of anger there! That sounds like the kinda game stuff that frustrates me, too.

It's really not that hard, honestly. I have no idea why he's having so much trouble with it.
But then, if you didn't like Ground Zeroes, I guess PP wouldn't really be your thing either.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Dunno, think I just have simple tastes these days. I used to play CoD and do still like action-orientated blast'em up type games. Though I did love X Com which had a similar sort of gameplay trope that would be extremely punishing sometimes, but left one in no doubt that it was their own fault...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:48 pm

I honestly had no problem with the difficulty in MGSV. Most Metal Gear games I try to sneak into a place and do a terrible job and end up shooting my way out making a mess like a tornado full of bullets. With Phantom Pain though I found that I could sneak into any area I wanted and get out with ease. I'd honestly say it's the easiest of the Metal Gear series to play.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:10 pm

OL wrote:
Kenny wrote: So I finally got inside the lab to get Emmerich (all you had to do was walk through the front entrance, how quaint) and after getting him out with the chicken machine, I had to play hide and seek with the new Metal Gear while I try to extract him.

:lol:
So angry...
I did the exact same thing though, and I think Henry said he did as well. Yeah, the first instinct is to just throw Huey in a truck and haul ass out of there, but the game demands that you evade huge scary machine just enough to get on the chopper, because there's a sort of scripted bit on the chopper. As gameplay goes, it really is probably the worst-planned part in any of the missions, as it's pretty much the one place where you can't choose how to tackle it; I was pretty frustrated at having to start over myself. But then, the game wasn't quite so difficult for me personally, so it wasn't as big a deal having to restart.
If you decide to try again, I'd just recommend going in at night from the southern entrance to the base. From that direction, it's easy to mark most of the guys on the parking lots and heliport from afar, then all you have to do is make your way around to the left until you hit Huey's building. You can get back through it pretty quick if you do that, making the restart less painful.

Yeah, and sad thing is I'm just gonna boot it back up and do it all over cause I'm Kojima's bitch.

I've been getting in the habit of doing shit at night anyway. I felt like it makes it harder for me to get spot.

And Riku? Fuck you. :P

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:After reading what Kenny wrote there, I'm gonna give this a miss, he wrote it pretty sensibly but there was definitely a sense of anger there! That sounds like the kinda game stuff that frustrates me, too.

Plus, I downloaded the Xbox Live free Game with Gold, Ground Zeros, and found I just couldn't be bothered with that gameplay style nowadays. Pity, 'cos MGS from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back is still one of my favourite gaming memories...

Got a shot of Destiny, which I get the impression I won't really be arsed with either. :???:

Not sure if I'd say you should miss it, but if you didn't like Ground Zeroes then yeah I concur this is not gonna be any different. In fact, it's the same game but bigger.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming