Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 am

Retron 5 announced. Plays SNES,Genesis,NES but also Japanese games and GBA.
Less than a 100$ Seems they will aim at 80$ I will buy it
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:59 am

I don't really see the point in it. If you have a collection of SNES/GBA/etc games then you most likely have a machine to play them on already. Granted, this will save space under your TV (or save you having to swap them around), but is that a convenience worth paying for? I'd slap down £20 max, and only if I'd heard good things about the quality of its emulation.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I don't really see the point in it. If you have a collection of SNES/GBA/etc games then you most likely have a machine to play them on already. Granted, this will save space under your TV (or save you having to swap them around), but is that a convenience worth paying for? I'd slap down £20 max, and only if I'd heard good things about the quality of its emulation.

Minus the Famicom I have the games and the console to play them but still want this. Mainly as "I'm too lazy to take it in the other room ad hook it up" thing. I do like it has HDMI and supposedly can upscale. The addition of Famicom is great for me as I can play Ys on Famicom instead of being a display piece
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 am

Square Enix Boss leaves the company.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... inary-loss

Tomb Raider has so far sold 3.4M, Hitman Absolution 3.6M and Sleeping Dogs 1.75M

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... pectations

All 3 missed their expected sales. So sad that 3M+ is not seen as good enough now days.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 pm

When development costs rise, the number of copies needed to sell to recoup their budget soars as well. It's unfortunate. It almost doesn't even matter that the next batch of consoles aren't super charged PC's at this rate. Developers would never be able to afford to make the most of them, not when they're taking on red ink as it is and only ever seem to be one flop away from bankruptcy at any given time.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

^they would be able to afford it if they didn't spend more on the marketing than actually making the game.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Yep and it also maybe shows bosses out of touch or living in another world to the rest of us?

I mean 3.4M at more or less full price has got to have made big money? Maybe if SE saved money by not having 5 FF games in development they would not have to hope for higher sales with their other games?

Shame Sleeping Dogs has not sold more as its one of the better open world games around.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm

At least he pushed through Drakengard 3 before his reisgnation. :lol:
Somewhere Dorian is cheering about Wada's resignation.

EDIT:

Ouch. Sounds like they have some major restructuring happening...also sounds like they cancelled a LOT of games/projects. :-s
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Name power will have played a significant part in the sales for Tomb Raider and Hitman. I'd say Sleeping Dogs did well for a new IP (obviously a vast majority of gamers won't have known its heritage).
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 pm

So the former president of Square is back? Cool. Maybe the glory days can be once again. Maybe wada really wasnt fit for the job? Maybe Square and Enix never should have merged, and not aquired Taito, and not aquired Eidos. Nothing can be undone now, I think square needs to sit back, relax, and do what they did in the past, make exceptional Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles, and not just brave but pioneer and be at the forefront of the JRPG genre and work to improve and progress that genre with some high profile new IPs that will support their main series like FF and DQ but still let those 2 series lead the way, like they always used to do in the past. Hopefully this is the wake up call for them, and they can make the adjustments needed to be profitable again, but I think it all starts with some good games in the vein of what their old games accomplished, and carefully selecting a team for every project to make sure its going to be the best decision for everyone there.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 pm

No, actually, it's Taito's former president who has taken over...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Thief wrote:Grant Kirkhope guest stars on Game Grumps. Really entertaining and interesting especially if you're a fan of N64 era Rare... and let's be honest, who isn't? :)

I was just sitting down to watch this. Then I checked how long it was.

An hour.

An hour on YouTube.

Christ.

Maybe at the weekend...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Tuffty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm

I like how some commentators on the SE news are like "SE should be the forefront of innovation of JRPG's again and try something brave and daring!" usually follow it up with "They should remake FF7!"

Listen, I doubt it will happen. Christ they can't even get FF Versus XIII out of the door. A FF7 'remake' would kill the company. It's not a remake when you have to completely rebuild the game from the ground up, hire voice actors and make FMVs a kin or not better then what you got to Advent Children. They are so not going to risk everything on that when people aren't willing to buy the other 'remakes'.

Why do you think they are 'remaking' Kingdom Hearts and FFX/FFX-2, it's just an easier job to re-skin, add fresh voice work where they can if needed, and ship the 'Final Mix' versions of all the games the west didn't have. Most of the work is already done as the game assets are there, as said unlike FF7.

My only worry is that part of this restructuring means the loss of IP's which I hope to see more of in the future i.e. TWEWY.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm

FF7 isn't as good as people think. FFVI is far superior
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:An hour on YouTube.

Christ.

It is long but totally worth it, probably the most interesting thing I've seen in a long while.

Ryudo wrote:FF7 isn't as good as people think. FFVI is far superior

Why?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming