Your most overlooked system or game

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Your most overlooked system or game

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am

Neo Geo CD.

AES/MVS is the most talked about Neo Geo Systems. The CD just took those games and made them cheaper and easier to get for the most part. Sure it had load time issues. Only using I believe was a 1X rom drive. I think Saturn and PSone used 2X. However those systems also had 3D games while the CD was just porting the AES/MVS games. So was a bit frustrating. Still because the games are cheaper at about 50$ as opposed to 200-300$ for the carts. One nice thing I liked is for people who preferred a controller over an arcade stick they included that as well but had no dpad. It had what looked like an analog stick but really was a mini swither arcade stick for the thumb. They also used this on the Neo Geo Hand Helds. The system still worked with the arcade sticks.It did have a few exclusives in KoF 96 and SS RPG. The main selling point is price and today for collectors who are not smoking 100$ bills it's still the cheaper option. It's not super cheap either but no one ever said collecting was cheap.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Die Hard Vendetta. At that point I hadn't played a game like it (Deus Ex always crashed on my PC), so an FPS with stealth and slight adventure elements blew me away. Plus the fact it was a Die Hard game. The story and acting's pretty woeful like most games pre-current gen, and it always pissed me off that Bruce Willis never reprised his role (although the guy playing Al Powell did)

Little details like an almost perfectly recreated Nakatomi Plaza (used to spend ages lookin at every single bit of the place coz of how well I knew the layout from over 50 times of watching the first film, yes I was a sad cunt), the fact it realised that Bruce Willis (and John McClane as a result) is left handed.

Anyway, I thought it was always overlooked and underappreciated at the time. Played through it about five times before selling it so I could either get the PS2 or Xbox version for the multiplayer. Never got round to buying it on either though...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZZpNng3jk[/youtube]

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Die Hard Vendetta. At that point I hadn't played a game like it (Deus Ex always crashed on my PC), so an FPS with stealth and slight adventure elements blew me away. Plus the fact it was a Die Hard game. The story and acting's pretty woeful like most games pre-current gen, and it always pissed me off that Bruce Willis never reprised his role (although the guy playing Al Powell did)

Little details like an almost perfectly recreated Nakatomi Plaza (used to spend ages lookin at every single bit of the place coz of how well I knew the layout from over 50 times of watching the first film, yes I was a sad cunt), the fact it realised that Bruce Willis (and John McClane as a result) is left handed.

Anyway, I thought it was always overlooked and underappreciated at the time. Played through it about five times before selling it so I could either get the PS2 or Xbox version for the multiplayer. Never got round to buying it on either though...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZZpNng3jk[/youtube]

You know, I've always wanted to play a Die Hard game that lived up to its name. The PSX games were sorta crappy, but alright for the time. Vendetta looks pretty good though, may give it a go in the future, so thanks for the post.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 am

Oh, by today's standards it's probably awful. Then again, lookin at how wank Die Hard Trilogy 1 & 2 were (although the second had pretty decent graphics for a PSOne game, imo), and the "look at what I did over the weekend" feel of Nakatomi Plaza, playing Vendetta might be mind-blowing in terms of Die Hard games.

Once the sixth is out, condensing all the main set pieces from the films into one game might make for a good idea, so that you can play out all your favourite scenes and find other ways of doing them. Coz let's face it, in video game terms, only Die Hard With a Vengeance has enough bad guys to kill for your average shooter.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Very much overlooked

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTizv7XYeU[/youtube]

Really fun game that could have grown rather big if not for EA killing off the studio before the game was even finished :evil: but still great open world game that felt different to the others.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby LawXiu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Ryudo wrote: Neo Geo CD.

AES/MVS is the most talked about Neo Geo Systems. The CD just took those games and made them cheaper and easier to get for the most part. Sure it had load time issues. Only using I believe was a 1X rom drive. I think Saturn and PSone used 2X. However those systems also had 3D games while the CD was just porting the AES/MVS games. So was a bit frustrating. Still because the games are cheaper at about 50$ as opposed to 200-300$ for the carts. One nice thing I liked is for people who preferred a controller over an arcade stick they included that as well but had no dpad. It had what looked like an analog stick but really was a mini swither arcade stick for the thumb. They also used this on the Neo Geo Hand Helds. The system still worked with the arcade sticks.It did have a few exclusives in KoF 96 and SS RPG. The main selling point is price and today for collectors who are not smoking 100$ bills it's still the cheaper option. It's not super cheap either but no one ever said collecting was cheap.

Got mine with a couple of games, boxed with all cables and instructions for £120. Ignore what people say about load times, they're not that long, no different to a system of today. Games aren't that expensive either, prices start from around £15. And yes, the pads with the little sticks are awesome.

LawXiu has received a thanks from: Bluecast
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to General Gaming