What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby wude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:28 pm

just started tales of Phantasia on the Snes

wude has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I bought mine from a friend at work, so will have to pay for every last thing! I can't see a menu option for DLC though, weirdly, though I think I'm being incredibly dumb and not doing something really obvious.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

wude wrote: just started tales of Phantasia on the Snes

Awesome.
That's another I'll probably get a repro cart made of eventually (though not too soon, since I've already got it on GBA). Excellent game. Too bad it came out so late in the SNES's life. It should have gotten a western release.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Just recently popped in my copy of Jak II in hopes to finish off the game and give Jak 3 a go. Except that I'm on this mission in which I have to rescue six lurkers... I had a really hard time when it was just three. This game really tests my patience sometimes but it feels so good when I finish a hard mission. I'm just worried about finding all the precursor orbs. I was keeping tally but I've lost the sheet of paper I was using. Oh well.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm

OL wrote:
wude wrote: just started tales of Phantasia on the Snes

Awesome.
That's another I'll probably get a repro cart made of eventually (though not too soon, since I've already got it on GBA). Excellent game. Too bad it came out so late in the SNES's life. It should have gotten a western release.

Totally agree with you, it's one of the many hidden gems of the SNes :)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:06 am

Phantasia is the shit. Favorite tales game ever.

Got a decent way into Castlevania mirror of fate, almost done, I'll likely beat it before its official release on Tuesday.

Might beat it twice.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 am

Decided to do a Hard run on Mass Effect 1. Ive always read that unlike the watered down 2 and 3 ME1 is actually a challenge on Hard mode.

Also felt like going back to FIII after finishing II but I'm quickly remembering why i feel its the weakest of the 3 main games.

I don't like Joe but i share many of the complaints in this vid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaw85bliyQ[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby redline » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 am

just finnished mg rising, now workng on crysis 3

& still got jet set radio future on the go
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Mass Effect 3. I feel it's a decent enough blend between what made 1 so good and how 2 improved certain aspects. Defo the most enjoyable so far. I still reckon it'd make for a sick MMO. They just need to include propa stealth, ship battles, and give us sandbox worlds as opposed to hub areas.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Yakuza Dead Souls
Not a real big fan of the whole zombie thing,but this game is still pretty fun.Though the controls took a little bit to get used to.

The Last Window
Only have a few minutes clocked into it but I'm already loving it.Goes to show you don't need action and explosions to enjoy a game.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Finally started Yakuza 3 today. :)

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:49 am

Asura's Warth.

They weren't kidding, in about maybe two hours i'm already halfway through the game. And most of the time i'm just watching cutscenes. And I feel the only parts where I do anything is mostly through QTEs. There are battles but they're incredibly short. Boss battles take no more than five minutes to get through, then there's a cutscene, then an interlude, then a preview to the next chapter, then the opening cutscene, if you're lucky a brawl fight will happen, then another five minute boss battle takes place.

All this would be fine if the story itself was fantastic. As it stands now, it's good. Has alot of potential. It's only amusing for the wonderfully choreographed fight scenes.

But I would've ditched the whole "they killed my wife and kidnapped my daughter" plotline. It's cliché and uninteresting. From the way it's played out, it would've been much better if Asura is some jackass super-being who never cared for anything but ruling and destroying worlds with his brethren. After being overthrown due to a power struggle, which Asura had a strong running to become leader, Asura has to fight his way back on top and reclaim the title he believes he deserves.

On the way, he realizes (after beaten to a pulp after one boss battle) that the people in the world are the ones who give them power to begin with. They pray and worship them, giving the Gods a fraction of their "Ki" energy. Not only that, they are kind and humble beings who do everything they can to please the Gods. But the Gods are so drunk with power, they do not care. They can get power from worshiping mortals in other worlds (instead if getting a fraction of energy they find out they can be more powerful bu stripping them DRY, killing them) and they take glee in destroying them instead.

With his power now depleted, he's assisted by a woman who has a child. He has never been taken care of before, it's an unusual feeling for him. But a good one, he likes it. He starts to see the people around him suffering for the thankless Gods...starts to realize the injustice being acted upon them. Once he starts to regain his strength due to a hidden inner-power, which was the reason he believed he was "chosen" to become leader of his clan of Gods, he decides to use it for the good of the peasants who helped nurse him back to health. The people who give him and his brethren power to begin with, as well as the rest of the universe.

Coming to terms with this truth instead of feeding off the mortals and destroying them....he wants to fight for them. Claim the title of Leader and supreme ruler, but only so he can make sure the mortals of the universe are cared for and will no longer suffer the wrath of any "evil gods". And to do so means taking out his former brethren. Given the circumstances, he'll have no problems with that. It's a long hard struggle to the top though, one he's prepared to take.

....I mean, that's how I would play it out anyway. I'm interested to see how they plan on ending this story.
Last edited by Kenny on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 am

Kenny wrote: Asura's Warth.

They weren't kidding, in about maybe two hours i'm already halfway through the game. And most of the time i'm just watching cutscenes. And I feel the only parts where I do anything is mostly through QTEs. There are battles but they're incredibly short. Boss battles take no more than five minutes to get through, then there's a cutscene, then an interlude, then a preview to the next chapter, then the opening cutscene, if you're lucky a brawl fight will happen, then another five minute boss battle takes place.

All this would be fine if the story itself was fantastic. As it stands now, it's good. Has alot of potential. It's only amusing for the wonderfully choreographed fight scenes.

But I would've ditched the whole "they killed my wife and kidnapped my daughter" plotline. It's cliché and uninteresting. From the way it's played out, it would've been much better if Asura is some jackass super-being who never cared for anything but ruling and destroying worlds with his brethren. After being overthrown due to a power struggle, which Asura had a strong running to become leader, Asura has to fight his way back on top and reclaim the title he believes he deserves.

On the way, he realizes (after beaten to a pulp after one boss battle) that the people in the world are the ones who give them power to begin with. Not only that, they are kind and humble beings who do everything they can to please the Gods. But the Gods are so drunk with power, they do not care. They can get power from worshiping mortals in other worlds and they take glee in destroying them instead.

With his power now depleted, he's assisted by a woman who has a child. He has never been taken care of before, it's an unusual feeling for him. But a good one, he likes it. He starts to see the people around him suffering for the thankless Gods...starts to realize the injustice being acted upon them. Once he starts to regain his strength due to a hidden inner-power, which was the reason he believed he was "chosen" to become leader of his clan of Gods, he decides to use it for the good of the peasants who helped nurse him back to health. The people who give him and his brethren power to begin with, as well as the rest of the universe.

Coming to terms with this truth instead of feeding off the mortals and destroying them....he wants to fight for them. And to do so means taking out his former brethren. Given the circumstances, he'll have no problems with that. It's a long hard struggle to the top though, one he's prepared to take.

....I mean, that's how I would play it out anyway. I'm interested to see how they plan on ending this story.

It ends pretty cliche. AW isn't really meant to be a story powerhouse but could have been better. Thing is this is how cyberconnect2 games mostly are. Anime thinly disguised as games. I won't get into a long broken record cage rant but feel they do a better job in their games at that approach than DC. The thin story worked better in a game like Solatorobo but still was fun and worked for it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:01 am

Yeah, it's best to just go in to it for the action and style. The story is nothing wildly original, and it's obviously only partially a "game" to begin with.
But simply taken as the craziest freakin' action anime ever made?
It's brilliant.
It's one of those "go into it for the proper reasons and you'll get more out of it" kinds of deals. It ain't groundbreaking, but it can be an amazing experience anyway, given the right mindset.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 am

Plus it has Yasha's theme

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming